GTR Forum banner

Kiwi Drag Strips

5K views 58 replies 14 participants last post by  Lith 
#1 ·
I decided to do some research on Kiwi drag strips(yes I had too much time on my hands), it seems that Meremere is slightly uphill, so is Taupo.

Meremere is 60 feet above sea level at the start line, and 63 feet above sea level at the finish line. So by my calculations, that strip is uphill.

Taupo is 1515 feet above sea level at the start line, and 1518 feet above sea level at the finish line. So by my calculations, that strip is also uphill.

From what I've worked out looking at the times the Kiwis have posted from both strips, the times are quicker at Meremere than they are at Taupo. I put that down to the thinner air at Taupo. It could also be down to better quality track/prep as well, but the biggest factor is the air, I reckon.

I used Google Earth to find out about the elevation of the strips.

:thumbsup:

#2 ·
UK Drag Strips

I thought I'd better check the UK strips too, just to compare with the Kiwi strips.

Santa Pod is 342 feet above sea level at the start line, and 346 feet above sea level at the finish line. So by my calculations, that strip is uphill.

Shakespeare County Raceway is 151 feet above sea level at the start line, and 145 feet above sea level at the finish line. So by my calculations, that strip is downhill.

#3 ·
Taupo is a proper race car track built for proper race cars, not drag racing cars.
It is my understanding they let them run there because they feel sorry for those people who race for 8 secs (approx) as they dont appear to have the stamina of real race car drivers.
Meremere is a purpose built "track" and has a lot of grippy type preparation done to it to assist in traction or something not really needed for real race cars.

On a side note I see they are building a new proper race car track just beside Meremere at Hampton downs, this will be open and hosting the first race meetings around june this year....
Cool !!
Luckily they have made the new track deliberatly hilly, so as to deter people wanting to race non proper race cars.
All good ..

I have posted a photo here somewhere which quite plainly shows Santa Pod as a curve, not flat at all ....
Anyway ....

Taupo is slower because the sixty foot times will be higher than Meremere
Someone into non proper racing can confirm ....

Rob ??

:p

#4 ·
Aussie Drag Strips

Just thought I'd check Willowbank Raceway in Australia too.

Willowbank Raceway is 181 feet above sea level at the start line, and 178 feet above sea level at the finish line. So by my calculations, that strip is downhill.

#6 · (Edited)
Oh, this is great reading, very interesting indeed, I just checked Taupo and its uphill for sure, can't get a focus on Meremere atm but I'll check it.

Taupo is actually known to be slower due to altitude, most cars seem to run around 2 10ths slower there, I've had my best 60ft there and I believe at Taupo a while back Reece was on a run better than his world record run at Willowbank when an axle broke at about 1/2 track so the start at least can't be too bad.

The 60fts seem to be there sometimes but its usually pretty slippery down the strip due to wind blowing sand from the "real racing tracks" sand traps (lol at Glen)

I find it interesting that we have been running on uphill strips and yet we've had endless comments from "some chaps" saying we are cheaters cause our tracks are downhill and yet they've been running on a downhill track themselves?? Ironic??

All we need now is some computer geek to tell us how much difference a low 8 second car going from a 3ft uphill strip like Meremere to a 6ft downhill strip like Shakey would make.........anyone? :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Luckily the altitude is almost identicle so the air density is not an issue.

Rob

#7 ·
Jap Drag Strips

I tried to find out the elevation at the start line and finish line of Sendai Circuit and Central Circuit in Japan too. But Google Earth didn't seem to get the message, or my translation wasn't all it could have been. Computer says no.

Am I right in thinking that they drag race down the start/finish straight at these two circuits?

If that is the case, can somebody that speaks/writes/reads Japanese language find out the elevation for me, for both circuits. I want the start line elevation and finish line elevation :thumbsup:

Thanks.

#8 · (Edited)
Rob

It looks like you and Reece would run even quicker if you came here and raced. If you both ran at Shakey your times would drop further, Willowbank is only 3 feet downhill, but Shakey is 6 feel downhill. The air will be a bit more dense at Shakey too.

Christ......... how fast would Reece go then?

Reece

Come over to England to break records. There are an awful lot of GTR nuts here that would love to see your car on our tracks :thumbsup:

#9 ·
Lol:D We found the track at taupo very good on the start line last time we ran.

The run were we broke a front axle in 5th gear and had to lift, we ran 7.76@186mph with a 1.19 60 ft and a half track speed of 4.9@ 152.9mph.

Its a shame something small happens on most runs that look like they have alot of potential.:confused:

#11 · (Edited)
............you coming to England then?

:chuckle:
Not sure about reece but it might be worth a go for us sometime........I hear there's a good downhill strip at low altitude where records and suspiciously high mph can be had? :D:D

Lol........Rob

#12 ·
LMAO :runaway: im glad this thread has so far been kept 'in jest'!!!
history tells me it wont be long before someone kicks off and the alligations start flying. :flame:

you guys should deffo come to england, it would be a sight to see everyone racing together! :D

kev

#13 · (Edited)
you guys should deffo come to england, it would be a sight to see everyone racing together! :D

kev

Yes..........that would be ****ing wicked :thumbsup:

Perhaps the Aussies would like to come and play too?

That's assuming they can get their 'dyno queens' to launch in the first place. Or will they need to sit and build the boost up for an hour or so, like they do on the dyno?

:chuckle:

#14 ·
I love "jest"

Yeah, sounds like shakey's the place to be for high mph being so downhill in all.

For some reason, I gather from some of the record holders and champions who run there, it seems the start is not too good as the 60fts seem a little slow but thank god the downhill strip and prevailing tail wind more than makes up fro it aye :clap::clap:

Rob

#16 ·
I love "jest"

I spose I should, I'm use to the uphill bit at least but does it go up and down about 5 times over the 400 like Meremere?? lol.

No wonder Mick won't take his car there, its all starting to make sense now :thumbsup:

#18 ·
pmsl, I love "jest"

Come on, lol, surely you expect us to cop that? whahahhhaaha :D

I think you should let Micks back tyres and suspension right down and raise the front right up so at least it "looks" like your running on a level strip :clap::clap:
I did it with the drag-r........ oh no, hang on a minute,:D that was actually launching hard and trying to wheelie on the uphill slope if I remember rightly lol. :thumbsup:

Pretty sure 6ft down hill with a tail wind would have to add about say 7 mph compared to the 3 foot uphill we run?? :D:D yep, pretty sure it'd be at least 7mph :D

Rob

#24 ·
Who was that Aussie guy with the red S14, was it Mark Ashford?

Didn't he have to sit on the line for 30 seconds building up boost so he could launch, I think he ran 7's, but his r/t's were in the 30 second region. I've been trying to find some videos of him, but can't find any. Any of you got any links to his videos?

#25 ·
Lith will know where to find some, he is the "go to man" for anything like that, but yeah I saw that car race in NZ and it was painfull to watch him try to spool it up, seemed to take forever, definatly not a competitive car from a racing point of view but he did have a couple of good timeslips I believe, might be a mate of Micks..........:flame::flame:

I'll grab my coat.........where are you Mick............

Rob

#26 ·
might be a mate of Micks..........:flame::flame:

I'll grab my coat.........where are you Mick............

Rob
Building the Olympic village and working crazy hours

#32 ·
GTR Glen is a wise old man, fountain of knowledge and self apointed adviser to the "non search" guys, he's an asset to the forum and threads he partisipates in.........

Boosted, do you have a pic of "sarcastic cat"? If so nows the time to add it.

Rob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.