GTR Forum banner

My new "ONE OF A KIND" TR Built Engine...

32K views 79 replies 44 participants last post by  R.I.P.S NZ 
#1 · (Edited)
Time for a little intro...

I've owned my car for 3 and a bit years now, got it as standard and i've been doing little things to it here and there (well not me but TR Racing),
Mostly on the engine, dont really care about body work/exterior that much...

In March this year i blew it up at RAF Marham on the 30-130 event...doing a top speed run.
so what it was before and upto 30-130 event:

Spec List:
RB26
Trust downpipes
HKS turbo elbows
Garrett 2860-5 twin turbo's
Tomei Poncam type B 260 duration 9.15 lift (inlet and exhaust) and adjustable pullies.
SARD 750cc injectors
HKS Air filter delete kit
HKS Fcon Pro V Gold Engine management
HKS navigator pro
Top Secret Cooling panel
Nismo Fuel pump
Splifire direct fire ignition coils
HKS boost controller
ARC intercooler
Exedy Clutch
Tein coilover suspension

Thinking thats it...it'll be a year or so before i can afford to fix her, i asked Rob kindly to find a corner in his garage for the long haul. Out of the blue, or more accurately at about 2230 one night...got the call from Rob.
He asked if i trusted him and said that they wanted to build me an engine but wasn't going to tell me what it was, he wanted it to be a surprise, he even said something like "i'm not even going to tell you if it's a 2.6, 2.4, or 2.8" (yes, i'm sure he said 2.4!!!)...i started to worry...the worried part is not about the trust but more about the surprise...not knowing whats going on would kill me...lol
But the problem was i DO trust Rob and i think i said yes before he finished talking...

Now the waiting...

well...after persuading a few ppl here and there to get info, after constantly calling and asking what it was going to be, i got a bit of info some true, some not, some even confusing....thanks to snowfiend for sending me a pic of a broken engine making me think it was mine! :chairshot
...weeks go by, i get a few updates here and there from TR, a few friends who visit but not one person could get me a pic!

Picked up the car on thursday night from TR, it was late evening and the idea was to pick it up, go home, sleep and get ready for North weald on friday (via TR for a brew if i'm early).

Easier "planned" than done...the car is amazing.:bowdown1::bowdown1::bowdown1:
Got home and just couldn't goto sleep, body was tired but my mind was "wired":flame:...it was like an IV drip of caffeine straight to my head.

Justin built me an amazing engine...plans also changed, twins gave way to a single and a triple plate clutch is on the way but it's the engine that steals the spotlight.

came back from North weald...and i'm even more amazed, i drove like a nutta, i abused it, abused it and abused it some more and it was AMAZING and apparently according to Rob i haven't abused it enough!!!
No smoke, no oil leaks (just dipstick blew open..even the dipstick is scared,lol).

Been driving the car everywhere for the last few days and i mean everywhere, sorry greenpeace and ozone people but yes even if i needed to go a few yards it normally involved going round the block first, sometimes via M4 or M3.

The car feels soo responsive, it kicks in around 3500 maybe a bit less but it just keeps on going, the sound is immense, the car feels amazing and all at 0.9bar...the boost will be raised when my triple plate comes in and i can't wait...

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, 5 Thank you's one for each person that has made it possible for me to own a car like that and the biggest goes to Justin for building an amazing engine.:bowdown1::bowdown1::bowdown1:

a special thank you to Tony as well, if you hadn't helped run it in i wouldn't of enjoyed it at N.Weald...cheers buddy ;)

I wasn't allowed to run it in after Rob witnessed me driving it for the first time in a while...i'll let him comment on that...lol

So...without further ado (post more pics when i manage to get out of the car during daylight).

Here's my baby,
Here's my adrenaline rush,
Here's my TR Racing Built RB31 with a HKS T-04Z Turbo Kit...

enjoy...
YouTube - MO R34GTR

more on the specs, pics and videos...once i'm not distracted by the car and capable of listening to Rob and Justin to find out more...i dont even think i'm doing this build any justice with this post, just not thinking straight yet. Sry guys...your fault, you built it!!!
lol

oooooooooo.....nearly forgot!
my new dream is that when i grow up i want to be half as good a driver as Rob!
:bowdown1:

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Nice, sounds like an awesome setup! Keep us posted when it gets tuned etc. So you seriously just let TR spec the setup without any idea what you were going to get or what it was going to cost, or just a good story? :)

just dipstick blew open..even the dipstick is scared,lol
Err, did I read that right? :confused: I'm still waiting for (or dreading) the day that the dipstick blows out of my >160,000km old RB25 which has been running a reasonable dose of boost from a GT-series Garrett for the last 3 years.

#4 ·
LOL...no, i told rob of my budget for the engine rebuild but yes to the rest...didn't have a clue...held up for a month though before i started calling alot...lol

it didn't blow open with an explosion m8...lol, it was still there but loose...Justin fixed it in seconds after N.weald and since then nothing...it's in and staying in, like an over protective father, i checked the oil today, damn hard to get those dipsticks out...lol

#5 ·
Awesome write up Mo. Justin and Harry told me about this when I went down last week. They were dreading the phone call while you were at North Weald :D:D:D

The car sounds awesome and it's going to be a monster when you get some proper boost through it :thumbsup:

Very jealous mate :cool:

#19 · (Edited)
They were dreading the phone call while you were at North Weald :D:D:D

I thought there is no better place to abuse the car...N.weald is minutes away from TR.
just in case...i'm brilliant at breaking things...lol

I'm just in awe...i know i was rough with the car, i know i abused it...and nothing...on the way back to TR after N.wealds, my mind was playing tricks...following chris back in his 33, i thought i heard noises and i was scared i broke the car...it turned out to be a trick on your ears when two loud exhausts are heard together in close proximity...so i went from being scared to just absolute awe especially when he said i didn't abuse it enough!!!

...when rob said he "mo proof" the car....he did...lol

#10 ·
The youtube vid says its a RB30 not a RB31?
Is it a 1 off custom done by TR somehow or its a normal OSG bottom end?

Should be good with some boost up it :thumbsup:

#17 ·
yep the vid says 30 but it's a 31, Oz edited it and sent it to me...i wasn't going to ask him to change it, he was kind enough to edit/send it to me in the first place and it was the first time i've seen the car since march...i was too excited and personally i would of killed him if he removed that vid...i looped it on my tv from my laptop for 4 days straight until i picked up the car...LOL
About the bottom end....seriously, never knew what they really had planned, had an idea but didn't know for sure and since seeing it i've just not been listening when they tell me stuff, cant...like a child with a new toy.
Hopefully someone from TR can answer that...i'm still excited and waiting on edge for 2 weeks when the boost goes up.

Thanks guys for the reply's...everytime i go out the house, i just want to get in it and drive.

Before the rebuild sometimes i didn't want to drive the R34 due to noise and neighbours, it fealt that i had to warm it up for ages to get the "feel" right and warm up.
2 days ago i got the urge of going out early, key was in, engine started and it purred, it fealt amazing, better than before...i dont know if that was me adding to the "feel" because i missed the car so much but definately sounds, feels sweeter when you start her up in the morning.

you guys can tell i'm not a tuner and my knowledge of engines is very limited...all i can comment on is how it goes and feels to me...and what TR have built is simply mindblowing in my eyes.
Thanks again TR Racing....this is the longest buzzzzzz i've had without the use of meds...lol

#23 ·
As above its an RB30 block based build, i love my giken engine so its going nowhere for now. Ive found out why the core plug went and looking at pictures it seem other people have had the same issues with the aus RB30 going by new mods made.
Another uk tuner has copied the giken setup but is having issues with liners splitting and deck spacers not sealing, if your not going down the OSG route imo the RB30 block is a good move.

Is it bed time yet?

Rob

#21 ·
Thanks for the words, unfort i have just flown back from a day/nights work in holland and i cant really type a justified response, i'm absolutely shattered.
Cut a long story short, with the help of a NZ guy in the uk, an australian parts company and some time to develop something a little different i was finally happy with the outcome.
Massive thanks to Mo putting all his trust in us, weve managed to keep it secret from him until the end was near lol. Every customer that has been in that knows mo has asked questions but the cover stayed on lol ;)

The top end is pretty standard with a refreshed valvetrain and Poncams, the bottom end is something new to us and works very well.
Custom components fill a RB30 Block to give 3.1 capacity.
With an aussie made 4wd adapter plate and pickup to convert the R34 sump to the RB30 block its an awesome setup.
Over the last year ive been building up info and researching to do something a little different, ive learnt along the way from other engines what needs to be done and what musn't be done.
Dare i say, its a lot more time consuming than a 2.8 unless you are someone like rob who does them all the time. However, i have some good info now and have had quite a few enquiries as people have found out what we were doing for Mo.
I have priced up some prepped blocks to save a bit more time from a NZ co. but given how cheap the blocks are in the uk i couldnt really justify the extra money on top.
Once lex's RB30 drift car engine is complete i am confident we will have a solution for RWD and 4WD cars with crank/rods uk manufactured and custom pistons.
One shock for me was the lack of breathing from the start which i have witnessed from other RB30 based engines from the first fire up.
We have one of the best engineering shops in the country keeping up the good work which is seen in all of our builds, ive never seen bore finishes like it.
Another thanks to Mo for his thanks to justin, he never really gets the praise he deserves as he cant use a PC :D lol
A lot of hours (and blood occaisionally) has gone into this and many other builds, i couldnt ask for a better partner (just a shame were related :D ).

Mo's Triple plate OSG clutch will be here shortly and then we can fit the wastegate pipes/boost controller and wind her up.

The dipstick seal has perished and a new one is being fitted, its very loose in there. No oil leaks, no breathing no traction :D

Thanks again Mo

Rob

#24 ·
+2
sry...i wanna know that one too...lol

Mo's Triple plate OSG clutch will be here shortly and then we can fit the wastegate pipes/boost controller and wind her up.
cant wait...
ok, no more BS...
havent got a clue when you all talk about boost and stuff! haven't got a clue about the difference between .9 and 1.2! (without experiencing it...) and haven't got a clue of the significance of the wastegate pipes/boost controller not being fitted...all i know is i'm too excited to even look up this stuff on the net...LOL

#26 ·
Have to also say i drove this car before it was mapped, when it was been run in and all i can say it drove like it was factory finished, perfectly smooth with nice torque and spool up on the turbo.

These cars can be a bit of a pain to drive but this one felt so nice, and i cant imagine what it will be like when running full boost.

Also i would give either of my cars to TR Racing to Spec and Build them as they please, have full 1000% trust in there work and there expertise.

Mo once again enjoy and look after it its a special one.

Tony

#32 · (Edited)
Another stonking TR build, well done for your hard work/late nights to get it ready in time chaps.

I had a quick drive of it at North Wealds and it's lovely...feels effortless, noticeable extra torque and a super smooth power delivery. In short, it feels completely different to the Drag R's set up and in real world situations on the road I recon it would be all over it like a rash (once it's running full power).

Congrats Mo...enjoy it dude :)

P.s. You're still not driving my car !!!

On another note, aren't R34 throttle pedals much stiffer to push down compared to 32/33 ones ? Weird...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.