GTR Forum banner

Litchfield's 2011 GTRs have arrived!

41K views 127 replies 59 participants last post by  Peter10654 
#1 ·

They are finally here! :runaway: :D

We had the first R35 in the UK so it seemed the right move to get one of the first new “Enhanced” 2011 GTRs :)

I’m really pleased with the colours which look great in person, my first R35 was Black and the new pearl black is superb! :) I was unsure about the Blue when I put the order in but I’m really pleased with the choice, pictures don’t do it justice and it appears to change complete as the light moves. Of course, with pristine new cars we want to keep the paint in perfect condition, I had a good chat with Robbie (Valet Magic) about paint protection and wrapping options so it’ll be interesting to see what it looks like in a few weeks time. ;)

First driving impressions are that the Nissan have made an effort to lift the interior quality, it feels much better with darker finish and carbon fibre. However as soon as you pull away you notice just how much better the revised suspension is! :) Comfort mode is much improved and is now very smooth. Engine power delivery is excellent and I look forward to seeing what software and hardware changes have been made. Ecutek already have the ECU information to work on :) :bowdown1:

Over the next couple of weeks we have a raft of testing work to do with the new car and we’re going to post a complete breakdown of the changes on the new car on our Blog and revised website :) Once underway I’ll start a new thread with lots of detailed information. We plan to remove the engine, turbos and gearbox to see just what has been “enhanced” and insure our current range of parts will fit.

In the meantime if anyone would like to see the cars in flesh give us a call as they are available to view.

I also want to thank Andy and Tony at Middlehurst for their impeccable service once again. They really are the most informed of all the Nissan HPCs and a pleasure to deal with :clap: :thumbsup:

Much, much more to follow :)

Kind regards

Iain

See less See more
#102 ·
Just a thought but if you contact a local scrap merchant or engineering firm and see if they have a Handheld XRF, they'll be able to analyse all the components very quickly and for very little cost, used these at work myself and they give instant breakdown of composition, very cool tool you may even find a crowd willing to call round and do it for a few quid like I did, just a thought!

#106 · (Edited)
Great to meet you too Eddie and I hope you start to enjoy the car more as the miles add up :)

I can safely say our brains are at GR6 overload! :) Our Technicians spent 3 days going through the various gearbox components in great detail and learnt a huge amount :thumbsup: :clap:

Glenn competes in a lot of endurance racing in his GTR race cars so it was fascinating to chat about all the little engine and chassis tweaks they need to make to cope with the sustained heat and abuse :cool: Yesterday we also had another customer arrive to work on his car who is at the top of a F1 engine team so it was a very interesting day! :bowdown1:

Dodson have lots of exciting new products coming soon which I will start a new thread about nearer the time. We will also add a more detailed gearbox section to our website shortly. :)

The Gearbox has not appeared to have changed from the later MY10 boxes and even then they only have some very minor updates that any manufacturer would implement over time.

I can however understand Nissan increasing the servicing intervals on the newer cars and not doing it retrospectively, although perhaps they should have communicated it better to remove the obvious frustration. Along with the other changes to the car it is a natural point to adjust the service intervals.

Milltek have one of the scanners that can read metal makeup as they have used it to check competitor systems and quality in general. We did not think it was worth using it on any of the gearbox parts as important things like some of the internals oil paths, solenoids and the Transmission ECU have changed over time.

Why Nissan chose to reduce the oil quantity is a mystery. It is not a big enough drop to really make a difference to temps etc so we can only assume it is to aid servicing. When you drain the oil you do not actually remove all 9.7 litres (you need to remove the sump for that) so maybe the slight reduction means you do not have to break into another bottle of transmission fluid?

Nissan said that the intake was different on the MY11 car and the turbo had a different part number. Along with the Chinese whispers of Spec V size turbos we looked forward to seeing what they had changed.

The turbo intake pipes to the turbos are about 5mm larger. The turbo compressor cover has larger porting to suit. :)

Internally however the turbos are exactly the same as before :confused: There was nothing wrong with the originals but we were looking forward to a higher power potential. What it does show again is Nissans amazing attention to detail :thumbsup:

Below are some pictures of the Standard GTR turbo compared to a standard VF34 roller bearing turbo and our popular Billet Compressor Wheel version.

You can see how much larger the Compressor and exhaust wheels are in relation to the original item. Using the Billet wheel means we can run at sensible boost levels as it flows really well and the lighter weight insures the response is like stock :D

The details for those interested are:
Compressor Wheel Dimensions:
Standard GTR IHI Turbo Compressor wheel 43.35mm Inducer, 56mm Exducer
Standard VF34 IHI Turbo Compressor wheel 46.45mm Inducer, 60mm Exducer
Litchfield Billet VF34 IHI Turbo Compressor wheel 53.13mm Inducer, 71mm Exducer (+ Extended Tip design for further flow increase :) )

Exhaust Wheel Dimensions
Standard GTR IHI Turbo Exhaust wheel 9 blades, 50mm Inducer, 40.30mm Exducer
Standard VF34 IHI Turbo Exhaust wheel 11 blade, 54mm Inducer, 48mm Exducer

Iain

#107 ·
amazing work! this kind of information is absolutely brilliant, really interesting that the turbo's are the same and intakes have been slightly increased, this is lending huge weight to the argument of the long term ability of the gen 1 cars to be reliable at 500+ bhp:clap::clap::clap:

#109 ·
New exhaust should not be any loader than the original system so should suit most trackdays. We'll try and get a car over to Bedford to see how it gets on at there. :)

I will put some more pictures of our new exhaust system up soon but in the meantime I thought it rude not to fit the new Milltek downpipes. They are made from 321 Steel with extra thick flanges and new pressed steel collectors for smoother exhaust extraction. These are the final prototype parts so the central join will be gone as the pipes will be a one piece mandrel bent.

The car is going back together now so hopefully it will be up and running by the middle of the week and I can start tuning :D :clap:

#114 ·
David, the new Milltek exhaust is aimed at improving flow without increase noise. Hopefully this will give guys looking for big power the right compromise :)

Bobel, there are loads of changes to the ECU and map but the main difference to power is the increase in boost pressure.

Eddie, the pad is the same size but they have reduced the thickness of the disc from 34mm to 32.8mm and reduced the Air gap. We are not really sure about the exact reasons behind this (there are many) but it probably accounts for why the weight is roughly the same as the original discs.

We can now offer an upgraded 400mm Alcon brake disc with Aluminium Bell and fitting kit for the original Brembo Calipers on MY08-MY10 and MY11 models :) These will be here shortly and in time for the trackday season. I expect these to retail for £495+vat per disc.

We're about to offer some special deals on brake upgrades/replacements.

Regards

Iain

#116 ·
and a lot more money !!! LOL

Good to see you again today Iain. Keep up the good work and I can't wait to start the "other" work on Scarlet !

#118 ·
After driving my "old" 2008 JDM R35 GTR 200 miles today with the Iain Litchfeild modifications I just know that as nice as the new car maybe, it aint a patch on what I've got ! Love it and will probably keep it as long as I have kept BEUT for ! (that's 13 years and counting !)

#120 ·
Ian,

Are there any ECU mapping tweaks you think you could apply to your mapped 2009 & 2010 cars given what you have learnt from the 2011 ECU?

Or would any tweaks require fitting a 2011 ECU?

#121 ·
Shaun, I hope to be at Robbies on Sunday but Jenny is currently 6 days overdue with our second child so plans are a little up in the air at the minute :nervous: ;)

The MY11 is different and I'm sure it will lead to improvements all round as engine mapping techniques/software is a continuously evolving.

#123 ·
Thank you for this amazing thread. :thumbsup:

According to InsideLine:
"There are two new structural braces ***8212; one carbon-composite brace mounted along the firewall between the shock towers and another dashboard-support member which is part of the car's body structure and is oriented vertically on the inside of the firewall."
2012 Nissan GT-R Full Test and Video

Is that what this picture is?:

Have you come across this second brace that they speak of?

#126 ·
Na, Red's the way to go, as for strut braces, why all the fuss ? you can fit "aother" one to the "old" car !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.