Rounded/warped wheel nuts removal... - GT-R Register - Official Nissan Skyline and GTR Owners Club forum

Go Back   GT-R Register - Official Nissan Skyline and GTR Owners Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Brakes, Wheels, Tyres and Suspension (Skyline)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14th February 2012, 06:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
CSB
CSB is striving for ascension...
GTR Register User

Angry Rounded/warped wheel nuts removal...

A year ago I lost my locking nut key and couldn't get the wheels undone, that was pretty easy to sort out because I eventually ordered a new one and bobs your uncle.

Now however there are 3 wheel nuts on the front driver side that refuse to come off. All the rest of the wheel nuts are cool but these ones are just taking the micky.

I think they are warped because as you put a 17mm socket on and turn the breaker bar, it just pushes the socket off. Fair enough, I went and ordered a 16mm 1/2" drive deep impact socket. Tried to hammer that on and the bloody thing got a crack in it and now that just kept on being pushed off the nut.

Now I went for the spline sockets, hammered on a 16mm 3/8", felt good perfect grip. Then went to halfords and got a 12" breaker bar to fit it. This time it doesn't push it off but I can feel that if I apply any more pressure something will give and I don't think that will be the wheel nuts as I need to use the extender to get out of the alloy wall.

So what shall I try? Keep on trying with the spine and small breaker bar? The car pretty much moves backwards and forwards, even with handbrake and in gear so I am using a lot of force. Use heat? Ideas please.
Old 14th February 2012, 06:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
R32 Combat is in limbo
GTROC Member

Cars owned: R33 GTR
Send a message via MSN to R32 Combat
Use an good impact gun, they remove everything.
Old 14th February 2012, 06:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Paul-r33 is unaware they can edit their status
GTR Register User

To be honest splines arent the best idea but give it a go with the breaker bar halfrauds have a life time warranty anyway, if it does fail then your best trying a half inch impact socket and a good powerbar they are normally a little tougher.

Last edited by Paul-r33; 14th February 2012 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: Horrible spelling
Paul-r33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 14th February 2012, 07:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
CSB
GTR Register User

The car isnt insured or taxed so cant drive it to a garage.

The impacts sockets are too thick and cant even get in to the hole.

So if the breaker bar breaks I should be able to exchange it?

I was thinking about going for this:

Laser 3464 4 piece Emergency Wheel Nut Remover Set - Machine Mart
Old 14th February 2012, 07:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Paul-r33 is unaware they can edit their status
GTR Register User

Yea if you kept the receipt. If you think the breaker bar will break a 3/8in to 1/2in step up will allow you to to use a bigger breaker bar and keep the socket
Old 14th February 2012, 07:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
AlexH is running out of cash
GTR Register User

Cars owned: R33GTR
csb, if it is any help to you i have a set of "special" sockets that are only for taking rounded nuts off things.
i will be willing to post you the 17mm one you need to remove the wheels and you can post it back when your done with it.
another good tip is seriously soak them in wd40, keep reaplying the spray and keep it wet for about a few hours and you should manage. also the 3/8 drive socket you have the now, if it is griping ok then pop a step down on it and get a 1/2 inch bar on it with a pole on the end. if the wheel stud snaps it isnt really that great big a deal as they just knock out and push back in with the new studs (which can be drawen in with the new wheel nut and spacer)
dont be afraid to really go at it as the wheel needs to come off one way or the other.

let me know if you want the socket posting down.

Alex
Old 14th February 2012, 08:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
CSB
GTR Register User

That would be great Alex, but have you got a pic/link that shows them? I want to be sure because I can spend forever running around getting things, like today I spent a fiver on that socket which ended up getting cracked.

I've tried the wd40 route but doesn't work. On that same wheel I managed to take off 1 nut which came off with a loud crack, the remaining 3 just dont budge.

Halfords dont do a step down so instead of ordering one I would rather borrow yours and see how that goes? Much appreciated.
Old 14th February 2012, 09:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Oggers is on the look out for nice roads in Berkshire
GTR Register User

Just swing on the b/bar I took some rays nuts off mine, swung on the bar and bang it let go..In a good way, lose nut. It will come off it's just a bit seized, but I know what you mean about it feeling like your going to bust somthing. Wd WILL penetrate in the end but it could take days.

I'll get the spinach.....
Charlie
Old 14th February 2012, 10:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Jags is unaware they can edit their status
GTR Register User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggers View Post
I'll get the spinach.....
Charlie
You need to see the size of CSB.... the lad's overdosed on spinach
Old 14th February 2012, 10:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
JapFreak786 is not able to buy parts for my friends from Matty32
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jags View Post
You need to see the size of CSB.... the lad's overdosed on spinach
haha - don't make him angry Jag, he'll woop us next time we go see him
Old 14th February 2012, 10:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
AlexH is running out of cash
GTR Register User

Cars owned: R33GTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSB View Post
That would be great Alex, but have you got a pic/link that shows them? I want to be sure because I can spend forever running around getting things, like today I spent a fiver on that socket which ended up getting cracked.

I've tried the wd40 route but doesn't work. On that same wheel I managed to take off 1 nut which came off with a loud crack, the remaining 3 just dont budge.

Halfords dont do a step down so instead of ordering one I would rather borrow yours and see how that goes? Much appreciated.
honestly mate dont worry about it, ive been a mechanic/tech for 22 years now and beleive me ive hammerd these bad boys on many many wheel nuts and locking nuts.
they are very slim walled and have a funny looking griping face inside the socket, i cant tell you how they work as i have no idea but they do, i just belt it on with a hammer, pop my big bad ass 3 foot long breaker bar on and jump on them and like jags said you get a big crack then thats it loose.
seriously though keep soaking them with the wd40, it really will work.
p.m me your addy and ill post the socket and a step down to you in the morning.

Alex

oh and if it doesnt work then its only cost you the return post. and if you break it (which i doubt) just post it back ill get a new one under warrantee.
Old 14th February 2012, 11:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
CSB
GTR Register User

Thanks Alex, just sent you a pm.

@Jags and Emil - haha jokers
Old 18th February 2012, 03:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
freakazoid3 is on the lookout...
GTROC Member

Cars owned: R32 GTR
I used the one it the link you posted before and it work a treat on hexagonal wheelnuts that use and allen key to undo, not sure about 17mm sockets though
Old 23rd March 2012, 12:02 AM   #14 (permalink)
CSB
GTR Register User

So after getting out some mobile tyre fitter to try and take them off it didn't go well, although he did get a good purchase on the nut it was super tight and broke my step down. This was the last straw before I decided to drill them out.

I went with the cobalt drill bits as they were the ones recommended for hardened steel and trust me they are good but can wear easily.

I had three nuts left on the wheel and one was pretty much mashed up after being tried on the most. I had a go at getting the untouched one off by drilling straight through the stud with a 10mm drill bit and damn did some swarf come off. Felt good as it was digging into the stud. I was being careful not to drill too deep, only deep enough for the nut. That one came off easy basically just loosened it with finger but looking at it you can tell it was warped.

Second one took a bit more effort as it had been attacked and the head of the nut was messed up, this time I had to drill and smack a socket on it, the smacking caused the stud to break and that came off in the socket.

Third one was the worst, although I drilled right down the socket wasn't gripping on to the nut because the walls of the nut were broken and plus when drilling this one the drill bit broke and that took some time getting out before I could drill more of the stud. Same again with drill bits, then smacked on a spline socket and it turned! off it came.

Here are my pics:
You can tell which one was the worst, looks like I even had to drill into the alloy.

Got these for 24 quid from machine mart, probably cant be used again but damn without these I would've been powerless.

I couldn't be asked to clean them so left them in their glory.

The drill, borrowed from my uncle. This is some heavy duty shizz, literally weighed over 10kg which in itself tired you out just holding it.

What was left of the studs.

The perfect nut on the left with the warped one next and the others speak for themselves.

I had to use small drill bits then build up to 10mm as the drill would catch onto the edges of the nut which was annoying.

I had a lot more swarf than this, a magnetic screw driver was key to helping keep clean the drilling area from bits.

And there you have it, spending around a couple hours a day for the past several days trying to get them off. I seriously hope no one has to go through this route as it takes a lot of time and persistence. I am finally happy I got them off and hope to help others who have to resort to this final measure.
Old 23rd March 2012, 12:39 AM   #15 (permalink)
tarmac terror is feeling the Syvecs love.....
New Users

Cars owned: Genuine R32 GTR; Genuine X5 4.8iS; Replica Renault Megane 1.6; Reasonably Genuine Peugeot 306 Rallye
Glad to hear you got it all sorted. These things can be a right PITA.
I had a similar situation but in my case it was the rear hub nut on my R32. In the end I bought a 1M long 1"sqdr powerbar and 1"drive socket. Hub nut just walked off....
Other useful tool is an impact gun, whether air or 240V. I have the 1000W impact gun from machine mart which has helped me no end. Great piece of kit....

TT