Why would RB motorsport re fit CAT converter? - GT-R Register - Official Nissan Skyline and GTR Owners Club forum

Go Back   GT-R Register - Official Nissan Skyline and GTR Owners Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > General Nissan Skyline Chat
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26th February 2012, 03:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
GTRPokerPro is unaware they can edit their status
GTR Register User

Why would RB motorsport re fit CAT converter?

Hi guys im on the search for a GTR, at the moment im looking to go veiw one next week, an R33GTR that has been fitted with an R34GTR engine and turbos.

The car is being sold by a car dealer who sells porsche's, ferrari's, rally cars and the like. The dealer says he is selling the car for his best mate.

Allthough the dealer does know rather a lot about the car, he cant tell me why during the R34 engine conversion, a CAT was refitted as reccomended by RB Motorsport before they mapped it to standard R34 power.

Can someone tell me why one would reccomend re fitting the CAT pipe?

Cheers, Jay.

P.s .. its alledged the R34 engine conversion took place after the owners previous R33 forged engine failed.
Old 26th February 2012, 03:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
minifreak is Without a skyline!
New Users

Cars owned: R32 GTR
I'd say if the engine was put to stock spec then it would be so whoever buys it can just drive and enjoy without worrying about it when it comes to mot time.

If its a RB car, then call them and see if they can tell you anything more.
Old 26th February 2012, 03:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
GTR Register User

Cheers bud, good point ..... i forgot de cats are illegal.

I will ring RB in the morning to see if they can give me any info, i think they carried out the engine transplant too.

Any idea what the r34 engine and turbos are good to reliablly map upto?
Old 26th February 2012, 03:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
New Users

1.1bar realisticly for the turbos. Circa 370-400 bhp with exhaust and air filters.
Old 26th February 2012, 03:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
freakazoid3 is on the lookout...
GTROC Member

R34 OEM tubbies tend to overboost when fitting a completely free flowing exhaust due to the internal wastegates not being big enough
Old 26th February 2012, 04:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
GTR Register User

Quote:
Originally Posted by minifreak View Post
1.1bar realisticly for the turbos. Circa 370-400 bhp with exhaust and air filters.
So im guessing that means the R32gtr turbos are pretty much the same .... im led to believe r32gtr turbos are also only to be mapped to 1.1 bar max.

Im not quite sure what the point in the r34 turbo's are .... especially if they cant be used correct with a free flowing exhaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakazoid3 View Post
R34 OEM tubbies tend to overboost when fitting a completely free flowing exhaust due to the internal wastegates not being big enough
That would explain why at some point the dealer said 'The reason RB fitted a cat was too technical for him to remember' ..... lol.

How do the R34 guys manage when they want to change their exhaust and map up for more power?
Old 26th February 2012, 04:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
GTR Register User

Is there any benefit from having an r33 gtr with an r34 gtr engine convesion? Im starting to think its a bit pointless?
Old 26th February 2012, 04:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
MIKEGTR is rolling on double deuces
GTROC Member

Cars owned: Midnight Purple R33 GTR, Range Rover Vogue
R32 turbos are ceramic and unless modified shouldn't go past 0.8 bar
Old 26th February 2012, 04:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
New Users

32 and 33 turbos ate only safe to 1bar, 34 turbos are similar but updated slightly so safe to 1.1-1.15 bar.

34 engine means little, in my eyes, what's you budget?
Old 26th February 2012, 05:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
goghat is Now driving around with 2.8 litres
GTR Register User

Cars owned: r33gtr
My previous gtr ate a turbo running at 0.9 bar, so I would agree with mike and say only safe to 0.8 bar.
Old 26th February 2012, 05:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
GTR Register User

Cheers guys, so are both the r32 and r33 turbos ceramic?

Minifreak ...... 10k budget, r32 first choice r33 second. If i dont find something in the next couple of months i may get someone like NewEra to keep a look out. Ideally i want to buy from a private UK seller who is the first or second UK owner, i want low miles and rust free car. I want to buy from someone who has had their car maintained and worked on to high standards, by a company like abbey motorsport or RB motorsport (ive heard you guys on this forum big those companies up a lot).
Old 26th February 2012, 05:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
GTR Register User

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakazoid3 View Post
Would this overboost tendancy be the same on an R32gtr engine thats been fitted with R34 N1 turbos? (obviouslly a decat aswell)

Last edited by GTRPokerPro; 26th February 2012 at 05:20 PM..
GTRPokerPro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1st March 2012, 10:15 AM   #13 (permalink)
cokey is cokey requires no Status
GTR Register User

Cars owned: r32gtr
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRPokerPro View Post
Would this overboost tendancy be the same on an R32gtr engine thats been fitted with R34 N1 turbos? (obviouslly a decat aswell)
YES !
The poppet valve on the internal wastegate is too small.
cokey
Old 1st March 2012, 10:45 AM   #14 (permalink)
RSVFOUR is has actually finished his 32GTR
Chairman Stagea Owners Cl

Cars owned: RB26 Stagea , Brabus SLK,1973 Porsche 911 T
Send a message via ICQ to RSVFOUR
The car is being sold by a car dealer who sells porsche's, ferrari's, rally cars and the like. The dealer says he is selling the car for his best mate.

Allthough the dealer does know rather a lot about the car, he cant tell me why during the R34 engine conversion, a CAT was refitted as reccomended by RB Motorsport before they mapped it to standard R34 power.

First I doubt it has actually had a 34 engine conversion .
More likely the engine went and he had access to a 34 one. (which isnt quite the same thing)

But none of the above is that relevant IMHO - its the condition of the car thats important

Same with the cat ? The information is third hand (at best) and ypu dont even know what question RB were asked when they reccommended one (if they did )
If it was going to be a straight swop then keeping everything else the same would mean sense It would just be fit engine and off you go which I suspect was what happened.

Most 32s have had so many changes that you can only look at the here and now . I know service history is looked on as good but really its the current condition and spec that is most important ( IMHO of course)

Last edited by RSVFOUR; 1st March 2012 at 10:47 AM..
RSVFOUR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1st March 2012, 04:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
GTR Register User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVFOUR View Post

First I doubt it has actually had a 34 engine conversion .
More likely the engine went and he had access to a 34 one. (which isnt quite the same thing)

But none of the above is that relevant IMHO - its the condition of the car thats important

Same with the cat ? The information is third hand (at best) and ypu dont even know what question RB were asked when they reccommended one (if they did )
If it was going to be a straight swop then keeping everything else the same would mean sense It would just be fit engine and off you go which I suspect was what happened.

Most 32s have had so many changes that you can only look at the here and now . I know service history is looked on as good but really its the current condition and spec that is most important ( IMHO of course)
Thanks for the response, im very confused what you mean by you doubt the r34 engine is an r34 engine ..... but he probablly just had access to an r34 one? Does that mean swapping the r34 internals into the r32 lump?

Side note: Its alledged the R34 engine was bought for 4k (with receipts) from a GTR breaker, it was then fitted by RB motorsport, along with the CAT.

Ive gone off this car now anyway, i can find a better spec'd r32/r33 engine than that standard r34 one.

Last edited by GTRPokerPro; 1st March 2012 at 04:50 PM..
GTRPokerPro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message