GTR Forum banner

ETS-Pro Center Diff Torque Split Controller for R32 R33 R34 Skyline GT-R

206K views 392 replies 75 participants last post by  Turbosupramk3 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello Everyone!

We finally got the highly anticipated ETS-Pro Center Diff Torque Split Controller for R32 R33 R34 Skyline GT-R

The ETS-Pro is engineered specifically for use with the R32, R33 and R34 Skyline GT-R. Designed to give you complete control over Nissan's multiplate transfer case. The ETS-Pro makes it easy to adjust active torque split percentages and also allows you switch from 4wd -> 2wd on the fly, and all points in between.

FAQ Located HERE
Installation details located HERE

-The ATESSA-ETS primary solenoid is remarkably similar to the Subaru STI solenoid in terms of control and response/output. However, the GT-R has a lot more amperage draw than the Subaru and if we keep a low base pressure of ~20+psi, the response is instantaneous and can hit 250psi in less than a second...maybe tenths of a second even. This is much quicker than anything else that has been tested previously. This is 21 year old R32 GTR atessa pump, from a salvage yard, 100k KM on it. Response times are noticeably faster than the factory system. If the solenoid takes the pressure down too low there is a large amount of lag present in the system, which is what the stock ecu allows for and why everyone complains about "delay" in the stock system. We believe most aftermarket torque split controllers and other tricks to the stock system served to "trick" the factory computer and make it retain pressure in the system, reducing lag.

-The new ETS-Pro firmware was designed to hold a bit of pressure at the bottom end to reduce system lag, and tuning the max top end to produce a hair more than full lockup of the clutchpack. If allowed, the pump can produce up to ~350psi+ instantly which is interesting (scary) on the least! I'm not sure what you guys have been able to do with the modified stock system but I was surprised that a hydraulic system go from nothing to basically 240psi in less than a few tenths of a second with some clever programming.

-After charting the curve of duty cycle vs pressure, it is very manageable and we can get an amazing resolution from the ETS-Pro maps (It can control the pressure to approx. 0.83 psi increments.)

-both R32 and R33 GTR ATESSA pumps were tested and we found virtually zero difference in performance between the pumps or solenoid. The computer and firmware/algorithms is the real difference.

-ETS-Pro can be in Manual mode which controls pressure directly off the knob setting, OR auto mode which uses the tps and g-sensors working off the algorithm and the knob for "gain". The Auto mode is able to respond immediately with very little lag and very precise pressure control....so far we're excited how well it is working as it is clearly exceeding the performance of the STI pump/solenoid that is typically modified.

-USB tuning will work but most setups can use 'Auto mode' and work entirely off of the "gain knob" (this is what we are doing at Full-Race)

some questions we've received from other forum members:

1) Q: where can i mount the unit? i noticed your instructions do not reference mounting dead center in the chassis (you suggest up near the firewall) however nissan's manual does - for example can i mount the unit in the left corner of the trunk? not that i want to, but just asking. I do understand the arrows and wires must face forwards of course

A: The control box itself could be mounted pretty much anywhere, we recommend that the g-sensor module get mounted in the physical center of the car for turning calculations. Same location as the stock unit is ideal right above the transmission (mine will be installed inside the car to protect it). The cable from the box to the g-sensor is about a meter. 2 part epoxy is required for the G-sensor, DO NOT USE TAPE

2) Q: how do you wire the pump? anything in particular to note?

A: The pump will get wired to ignition switched power and of course an included relay to control the pump. Wiring Details will be updated by May 1st

To place an order Please e-mail Jon@Full-Race.com with your full name and address, and screen name on gtr.co.uk - He will then get you an estimate with the total cost with shipping.

All the units will be shipping out via FedEx

If you have any questions let us know. This thread also holds a lot of info.

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/150416-upgraded-programable-faster-attessa-ecu.html

Thank you

See less See more
#7 ·
Sorry for being thick but this utilises the standard G-sensor does it not??

TT

#30 · (Edited)
Hi everyone - apologies for the delayed answers. I am in barbados right now on my honeymoon (just got married!!). Its raining like mad this morning so i wanted to pop in here and update the thread with some answers. So far Jon and Brett have tried to answer questions but this is really my pet project and I'm intimately familiar with the unit after using it extensively on my personal car. FYI this is a 6 year long project for me, and the culmination of these efforts is the ETS-PRO

First of all - the ETS-PRO is a full standalone center diff controller that completely replaces the stock ATESSA ecu and G-sensor, similar to the motec CDC but at far less cost and more user-friendly. You can leave the stock attessa ecu and sensor in place if you wish (doing nothing). In any RB26 application making some real power, this unit literally transforms the AWD system. There is no piggyback or mod you can do to the stock system that I am aware of which has this level of performance and adjustability, the ETS-PRO flat out works - especially noticeable if you have a track car and seat time, we have seen improvements from 2-4 seconds per lap compared to the older stock based atessa

Sorry for being thick but this utilises the standard G-sensor does it not?? TT
the ETS-Pro does not utilize the standard nissan G-sensor module for its functions.
Instead it uses it's own included G-sensor module with high resolution and high accuracy.

I think it replaces the standard g-sensor, there was a post on the main thread about removing the standard one
correct - When designing this unit, the decision was made to replace both the G-sensor and atessa ECU in their entirety because the stock sensor is very expensive and fragile with poor resolution and the stock atessa ecu causes the pump and transfer case to have slow response. There is no reason to work with these antiquated designs IMO, starting from scratch made far more sense.

in Auto its a much quicker RWD to 50/50 based on the G Sensor inputs and TPS to 'up' the gain when powering out of a corner?
CORRECT. Auto mode is where the ETS-PRO shines. Auto mode uses the gain knob and inputs from the g-sensor and TPS input working off the preset map to determine optimal torque split at the transfer case. Of course you can tune this map via USB, and we will offer free map updates in the future if needed, but thus far I am extremely happy with the performance and based on the track experience weve gathered have no desire to change it at this time.

Manual mode is a "fixed torque split". Meaning you turn the knob and it goes from fixed 0/100 (knob all the way down = RWD), turn it up a bit more and youre at 20/80, or turn it all the way UP and you can lock it at 50/50. There is no input from the G-sensor here, and it really only makes sense for dirt/off-road use or ice/snow racing. I have no reason to use manual mode in my car, i much prefer the Auto mode, and that is the biggest benefit of the ETS-Pro in my experience. Of course Henrik in Norway contacted me recently as he ice races his r32 GTR and would likely prefer the manual mode. Racing in the rain may also benefit from manual mode, but i prefer to use the high gain setting in auto mode currently

Also if you raise the ebrake up 1 click (so it is not engaging anything except the ebrake light) this has the same effect as 0psi in the transfer case. You can do burnouts, drift, use a 2wd dyno, etc. I personally run the ebrake cutout on a manual switch, but that is just my preference to wire it that way. I go into detail on the instructions for both options

Plus, you can re-map it to act how you like :) Also in Auto mode (if its like his Subie based units) to can tune the amount of lock you like via the gain knob, this way it will only go so far with locking the center diff.
100% correct sir!

Geoff, Im interested, Always liked the DCCDPro so would be fun to try this out. Ill be flying next week and would like to place an order with you im gonna PM you my deets :) Willing to take 2 off your hands at that price. Check your PM Inbox.
thanks Rain - will respond to your PM shortly!

Perhaps I have missed that :nervous: but does this kit also replace the ATTESSA ECU???
yes leo - the kit negates the need for the stock Nissan atessa ECU. you are welcome to keep the stock parts in the car if you are concerned but they will be doing nothing afaik (it may be possible to use the stock atessa ecu for gauge output, but i do not know)

I will have one I it replaces ecu and g sensor email sending now
thanks - shoot an email to jon@full-race.com as I am away for 1 more week

Question for you Geoff, does the G-Sensor work correctly with an R34GTR V-Spec Nismo MFD for g-graph and also the front wheel torque display?
No, this unit is not designed to have an output to the MFD. this was my decision early on in order to keep costs low and kep cross compatibility across all the different generations of skyline - adding an MFD output will increase the cost of this system considerably and will not in anyway improve performance. You can easily connect to the unit via usb to access the map and see where you were operating, however its incredibly simple to keep the unit in AUTO mode and just turn the knob to set "gain" on the map.

Yh, instructions seem to be for Scooby connections
skyline specific instructions are on my laptop, ive got to make a few more edits and will have them online shortly.

Does this work with the V-Spec cars, especially the later 34s with the display etc.? Come with instructions? Works in the Rain? Compatible with Skylab, or replaces it?
this unit will work to control all year skyline GT-R Atessa Pump. It is a huge improvement in the rain, sleet, ice and snow as it is in the dry on a prepped race track. It does not output to the stock display. Instructions will be posted online shortly. Sorry, I do not know what is skylab?

It DOES replace the stock sensor and computer, and it DOES NOT work with the MFD in the R34. (it may be able to be reverse engineered to send the correct information to the display, but not something Full Race has any experience with) It works rain or shine, but the purpose behind the unit is to have more control, and a more responsive ATTESA. It does come with instructions, and they will be posted online as soon as Geoff returns. (he's been busy with a wedding wedged in between to race events, and this has been his project)
The ATTESA should work as intended, just faster and user programmable.

You can probably leave the G sensor reading to the screen intact from the OEM sensor, just not running to the ATTESA. I haven't verified that it needs to run through the MFD first. Someone may know that better than we do.

We intended for this to replace the current ECU's on most track cars for faster response and more control over the system to suit your driving style, as well as those that have built R14's (240/GTR drivetrain) It worked beautifully at our last track event on our R14.

thanks brett, ill post up some videos of the car on the track, it never entered turns or rotated nearly as well previously... this ETS-Pro truly transformed the car. The unit works so incredibly well for me, the only thing i want to do now is experiment with the transmission/transfer case

#22 ·
Theres some really good questions here, and lots of confusion, but no clarity!! Can we please have some answers?

Like dose this replace the old parts, G-sensor, ECU, etc.?

Does this work with the V-Spec cars, especially the later 34s with the display etc.?

Come with instructions?

Works in the Rain?

Compatible with Skylab, or replaces it?

Come on, do you want to sell this, or not??!!

#23 ·
I know the answers to some of these questions, but I have actually read the threads about this.

It replaces the old g-sensor and Attessa ecu.

Full instructions will be provided.

Will work in the rain?

Works with vspec cars.

Manual mode seems very similar to Skylab, don't see much point in having both.

If you read through the info and links provided most questions are answered.
Surely a good idea to find out what something does before you shell out your hard earned on it?

#24 ·
Hey Gents...

Our apologies that Geoff has not responded to these questions, he must have lost internet on his honeymoon. Jon has been fielding what he can up to now. Geoff will be back in civilization next week, BUT I can answer a few of these questions. It DOES replace the stock sensor and computer, and it DOES NOT work with the MFD in the R34. (it may be able to be reverse engineered to send the correct information to the display, but not something Full Race has any experience with) It works rain or shine, but the purpose behind the unit is to have more control, and a more responsive ATTESA. It does come with instructions, and they will be posted online as soon as Geoff returns. (he's been busy with a wedding wedged in between to race events, and this has been his project)

I wish I had more info, but we expected to have information before Geoff departed, and it seems to be residing on his laptop. We'll update you as soon as possible.

-Brett

#27 ·
The ATTESA should work as intended, just faster and user programmable.

You can probably leave the G sensor reading to the screen intact from the OEM sensor, just not running to the ATTESA. I haven't verified that it needs to run through the MFD first. Someone may know that better than we do.

We intended for this to replace the current ECU's on most track cars for faster response and more control over the system to suit your driving style, as well as those that have built R14's (240/GTR drivetrain) It worked beautifully at our last track even on our R14.

#28 ·
Thanks for the update brett, and congrates to Geoff

Keep me posted on the MFD i will be buying but as ash say's its a bit of a downer having to loose the MFD display g and torque.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.