Imitation wheels vs genuine wheel discussion.. - Page 28 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GTR Owners Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GTR Owners Club forum > General > General Nissan Skyline Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26th April 2013, 01:36 PM   #541 (permalink)
nightcrawler is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTOBES View Post
If you look at the WSP link you will see they have an accredited lab at their facility in Italy to allow them to test their wheels. This would mean they do not have to send wheels to Japan.

TM WSP Italy wheels testing and certification

"All tests are conducted in a fully equiped company's laboratory, which is certified by TUV and JWL VIA institutions. All TM WSP Italy wheels undergo following tests in accordance to the UN/ECE 124 european norms."

This is the same type of facility that PAWI claim to have, meaning they do not have to send wheels to Japan either.

The certificate lists and approves four types of test equipment to carry out the same tests as listed on the WSP site. The certificate also states "JWTC recognises test reports from this laboratory"

It would appear that PAWI have the same type of accredited facility as WSP....

i concur
Old 26th April 2013, 01:48 PM   #542 (permalink)
tonigmr2 is wanting a drive but is too busy

Cars owned: MR2 TC, GT86, R35GTR, Disco4
Absolutely just trying to understand it myself!

There's no argument in my mind they have the equipment and expertise/accreditation to test to VIA standards. The fact they make wheels for OEM cars destined for Japan (because VIA appear to trust OEM manufacturers) also seems fine.

I think we are almost there it's just not clear whether on aftermarket wheels ....
A) VIA accept self accreditation for the Japanese market
Which impacts on
B) are they sold in Japan?
Which impacts on
C) are they VIA registered which gives the right to have VIA on the wheels.

I realise the Japanese market is not the crux of the question, but we are talking about a world recognised quality standard and usage in worldwide markets as a recognised mark.

Easy way is to get a VIA cert of wheel registration for one of their styles then everyone will shut up.

Girls drive GTRs too!!
Old 26th April 2013, 01:57 PM   #543 (permalink)
yodookie is enjoying his car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTOBES View Post
The certificate also states "JWTC recognises test reports from this laboratory"

JWL compliant testing yes, VIA no.

You guys keep grasping at straws here. Either the specifc wheels have been tested by VIA and registered, or they have not.

Lets get the information straight from the source, shall we?

VIA Registration of Aluminum Wheel

"Q1--(2) About the VIA mark--
Only products that undergo VIA registration may be marked with the VIA Mark.

The VIA mark is a registered trademark of Vehicle Inspection, and it is possible to affix it only to products registered with the Council.

Q2--Can we label with VIA marks or limited load marks on our own authority?

----VIA marks or limited load marking can only be displayed on products that comply with verification test conducted by the Vehicle Inspection and registered with the Council. In addition, VIA marks and load labeling marks must be used in the stipulated sizes and styles.

As the VIA mark is a registered trademark, displaying the VIA mark without VIA registration means unauthorized use of a registered trademark, and hence is illegal."

So? What now?

Old 26th April 2013, 02:01 PM   #544 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodookie View Post

You guys keep grasping at straws here. Either the specifc wheels have been tested by VIA and registered, or they have not.

Lets get the information straight from the source, shall we?

"Q1--(2) About the VIA mark--

The VIA mark is a registered trademark of Vehicle Inspection, and it is possible to affix it only to products registered with the Council.

Q2--Can we label with VIA marks or limited load marks on our own authority?

----VIA marks or limited load marking can only be displayed on products that comply with verification test conducted by the Vehicle Inspection and registered with the Council. In addition, VIA marks and load labeling marks must be used in the stipulated sizes and styles.

As the VIA mark is a registered trademark, displaying the VIA mark without VIA registration means unauthorized use of a registered trademark, and hence is illegal."

So? What now?

yaaaaaaawwwnnnn.....

get your hard evidence pls to support your claim. we are in completely same world but different world... eeeeeek! cant understand english now

when you get your proof, i will retract and concede.
Old 26th April 2013, 02:02 PM   #545 (permalink)

Just to follow up on myself a little bit---

"Q7: If we have approved testing equipment ourselves, can we display the VIA mark on products that have passed the tests in the relevant testing equipment?
A7: Simply because a product has passed an internal inspection test does not mean it can be labeled with a VIA mark.

Application for VIS registration should be filed with documents attached with results of evaluation (test reports) using approved and registered testing equipment, and then only products that pass the verification test at Vehicle Inspection and in documentary judgment, and which are then are registered with VIA may be labeled with the VIA mark on the light alloy disc wheel.

"Q10: If VIA markings is a requirement on wheels to be sold outside Japan, since no Japanese standard is applicable therein, would it be acceptable to sell them with VIA markings without an actual VIA registration?
A10: VIA marks can only be used on products registered with VIA on products that are sold for the after-market in Japan.

Even if a product is sold in a country outside Japan, the VIA marking cannot be displayed on products that are not registered with VIA."

Huh.., say it ain't so?
Old 26th April 2013, 02:03 PM   #546 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
yaaaaaaawwwnnnn.....

get your hard evidence pls support your claim. we are in completely same world but different world...

when you get your proof, i will retract and concede.

I just gave you your proof.

Where's the VIA registration?
Old 26th April 2013, 02:13 PM   #547 (permalink)
tarmac terror is Wondering why it says 'New User' below.....*confused*
New Users

Cars owned: Genuine R32 GTR; Genuine X5 4.8iS; Replica Renault Megane 1.6; Reasonably Genuine Peugeot 306 Rallye
*YAWN*

Bored now......point MORE than proven.

Those that dont 'get it' never will so I see no point in wasting effort on this.

TT
R32GTR- Stage 6; Frank Baxter exhaust with K-pipe; Rick Astley cams; Dave Gahan electrics; Bjorn Ulvaeus race prep; Howard Jones gearbox upgrade; Ray Charles body mods and styling. Mapped by Glenn Medeiros.------> Beat that R35 owners with dodgy parts list sigs :)
Old 26th April 2013, 02:15 PM   #548 (permalink)
New Users

Cars owned: Genuine R32 GTR; Genuine X5 4.8iS; Replica Renault Megane 1.6; Reasonably Genuine Peugeot 306 Rallye
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Kindness View Post
some comments from me....

I have owned two sets of ROTAs.

Purchased 2 sets in 2011 - 2 different designs of 18x10" for out R32 GTR Time Attack car. 1 set got damaged somehow and were replaced FOC by RareRims / ROTA. These wheels most likely monstered a kerb at 80+ mph. The set that replaced these (moved down to 17" again) are still going strong on the car, and the other set of 18's were sold.

I'm sure we'd all love a set of TE37s but in reality they are far too expensive, and relying on scene/hype to justify the price.

We run two track/race cars and both see some heavy kerb jumping.

we use the following wheels and find none better than the other.... infact, some 'brand' 'scene' wheels fair worse than the ROTAs

17" Kai Office by Keichi Tschiya - Modia (prob expensive but bought second hand for £400)
17" ADVAN RGs - damaged
17" RimStock Pro Race - like these a lot
17" ROTA
2 sets of 17" Ultralite (ATEC)
Oh no Adam...you're going straight to hell

TT
R32GTR- Stage 6; Frank Baxter exhaust with K-pipe; Rick Astley cams; Dave Gahan electrics; Bjorn Ulvaeus race prep; Howard Jones gearbox upgrade; Ray Charles body mods and styling. Mapped by Glenn Medeiros.------> Beat that R35 owners with dodgy parts list sigs :)
Old 26th April 2013, 02:15 PM   #549 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmac terror View Post
*YAWN*

Bored now......point MORE than proven.

Those that dont 'get it' never will so I see no point in wasting effort on this.

TT

You mean the point that you don't care if the wheels are using marks illegally?
Old 26th April 2013, 02:19 PM   #550 (permalink)

Quote:
I just gave you your proof.

Where's the VIA registration?
we can not have the same evidence but having different interpretations.

yaaaaaawwwnn....

unless you can get the certication against the company you are agravating.

good luck sir
Old 26th April 2013, 02:22 PM   #551 (permalink)

Quote:
You mean the point that you don't care if the wheels are using marks illegally?
yaaaawwwwnnnn....

supporting document to prove that? then come back and i will say sorry to you. but for now, ill consider it IMATURE AND WITHOUT MERITS.
Old 26th April 2013, 02:33 PM   #552 (permalink)

Quote:
yaaaawwwwnnnn....

supporting document to prove that? then come back and i will say sorry to you. but for now, ill consider it IMATURE AND WITHOUT MERITS.

What part of the English that I quoted directly from the JWTC site did you not understand? What part of the Japanese working at VIA never hearing of PAWI or ROTA before do you not understand?

I requote--"Q7: If we have approved testing equipment ourselves, can we display the VIA mark on products that have passed the tests in the relevant testing equipment?
A7: Simply because a product has passed an internal inspection test does not mean it can be labeled with a VIA mark.

Application for VIS registration should be filed with documents attached with results of evaluation (test reports) using approved and registered testing equipment, and then only products that pass the verification test at Vehicle Inspection (VIA) and in documentary judgment, and which are then registered with VIA may be labeled with the VIA mark on the light alloy disc wheel.

We have a ROTA distributor in this thread. Surely they would know who to contact to get a copy of a cert.(they must have plenty of time on their hands, digging up things that happened five years ago), and surely someone wants to clear ROTAs name here. Right?
Old 26th April 2013, 02:52 PM   #553 (permalink)

Quote:
What part of the English that I quoted directly from the JWTC site did you not understand? What part of the Japanese working at VIA never hearing of PAWI or ROTA before do you not understand?

maybe I don't understand English at all....

Quote:

We have a ROTA distributor in this thread. Surely they would know who to contact to get a copy of a cert.(they must have plenty of time on their hands, digging up things that happened five years ago), and surely someone wants to clear ROTAs name here. Right?

ROTA proved it already, by hard evidence and by their testimonies.

or maybe the hereunder quote applies to you? im sure their testimonies are in English and so as the Accreditation with JAPANESE writings.

Quote:

its time to PROVE your point and prove them WRONG. peace
Old 26th April 2013, 03:01 PM   #554 (permalink)

^^ ironic is it not?

now I know what IRONY means....

im learning English now....
Old 26th April 2013, 03:13 PM   #555 (permalink)
matt j is unaware they can edit their status
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Quote:
Probably the ambiguous part.

Quote:
I requote--"Q7: If we have approved testing equipment ourselves, can we display the VIA mark on products that have passed the tests in the relevant testing equipment?
Nor does it state that it cannot if accreditated facilities are utilised and witnessed testing takes place.

Quote:
Application for VIS registration should be filed with documents attached with results of evaluation (test reports) using approved and registered testing equipment, and then only products that pass the verification test at Vehicle Inspection (VIA) and in documentary judgment, and which are then registered with VIA may be labeled with the VIA mark on the light alloy disc wheel.
Submission of test reports?
Using who's 'approved and registered testing equipment'?
Please clarify what the verification test actually tests because 'in documentary judgement' would just suggest they're reviewing the reports from outside laboratories?

BUT aren't you claiming that the testing could only be carried out in Japan at their own facilities, surely if that is the case they know their facilities are accredited and it would be them producing the report for the manufacturer?
Old 26th April 2013, 03:23 PM   #556 (permalink)

im surprised ROTA/PAWI has not asked to delete/lock this thread for slandering and libelous acts. the agravated company being fraudulent and illegaly stamping VIA and others malicious accusation and presumptions. this should be looked at for protection of ROTA/PAWI's rights, its distributors, suppliers, partners and other businesses that involves its production especially its CUSTOMERS
Old 26th April 2013, 03:27 PM   #557 (permalink)
Miguel - Newera is surrounded by GT-R's.
GTR Register Trader

Cars owned: Techno Pro AE86, 280 bhp E30 M3, 500 bhp Knight Sports RX-7, Prelude S BB6-2010 Ebisu Endurance Champion. RC51 VTR SP2 - Tuned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akasakaR33
(BTW he was NOT the same guy I spoke to earlier this week.)

In preparation for the telephone call, I reviewed the website again, and found that there are two ways to register for the VIA logo with JWTC ***8211; actual physical testing of every wheel made by a manufacturer, by VIA, and then by documentation, on equipment that has been certified by JWTC.
https://www.jwtc.jp/open/html/e/situmon2.html

However, the text appeared to state that, ONE wheel had to be physically tested in Japan, after which FOUR wheels could then be registered via documentation (as I note below, I followed up on this on my call).

I called, introduced myself and explained our debate online, and then followed (roughly) the list of questions I had laid out in my earlier post:

1) Sakurai: the JWL and VIA standards apply to EACH wheel model. The JWL standard is really an OEM standard, the VIA standard is for aftermarket, but it***8217;s important to remember that each standard is applied to each wheel model. And, these logos are applicable ONLY for the Japan Domestic Market.

Me: what does that mean?

Sakurai: It means that these marks represent the wheel is quality, and in fact, no one in Japan will sell wheels that do not have this mark, or wheels where the manufacturer has not registered the wheel with us, even if it bears the marks.

Me: (jumping ahead a bit to my Question 6). How could I check to see if a wheel was registered with you? Can you check?

Sakurai: there are literally thousands of wheels registered with us, so it would be ***8220;taihen***8221; (= royal pain in the ass). I***8217;m sorry but I won't check for you.

Me: Do you issue certificates showing registration for VIA to the manufacturer, once they are registered with you? (this was my original Question 5)

Sakurai: Yes, and in fact, that is really the best and easiest way of obtaining proof of registration with us.

2) Ron's Certificate (I explained how it was titled, and mentioned the full name of PAWI):

Sakurai: this means that personnel from JWTC went down, inspected, and confirmed that their equipment was up to JWTC standards.

Me: Then this means that the wheels are built to JWTC standards?

Sakurai: Absolutely not. All it means is that their machines meet our standards, it says nothing about the final product.

Me: But can***8217;t we presume that the wheels meet your standards?

Sakurai: The certificate is no guarantee that anything made with these machines, will in fact be ***8220;JWL***8221; or ***8220;VIA***8221; compliant. In fact we get this inquiry all the time (usually from China, lately from Pakistan), and our official answer is ***8220;unless the wheel is registered with us, no one is allowed to display the logo and no assumption may be made of the wheel***8217;s quality.***8221;

3) Me: So self-certification is not possible for JWL?

Sakurai: It***8217;s possible, but it must be pursuant to the standards we have. And again, the JWL logo is meant primarily for the OEMs for domestic sale. We trust the OEMs will maintain the standards.

4) Me: What about self certification for VIA? Isn't it possible to self-certify if you have equipment that meets your standards?

Sakurai: You must first have an accredited institution here in Japan, test a representative wheel, physically here in Japan, only after which you are allowed to submit up to 4 wheel models for VIA registration on such a documentary basis, subject to the test results showing the wheels meet the standards.

The other way, of course, is not to do a document based submission and have every wheel physically tested here before registration.

7) Me: One final question ***8211; if you saw a wheel, sold overseas only, with these markings but the wheel was not registered with you, what would your reaction be?

Sakurai: I personally would characterize that wheel as a ***8220;ni-se mono.***8221; (translate that as you wish). In any case that would be a clear case of trademark infringement.

Me: What effect in Japan?

Sakurai: No distributor will import and then sell such a wheel.

Me: But if they were inexpensive and well made, why not?

Sakurai: Because that would violate commonly accepted industry practice. No one would risk it.

Me: What about overseas?

Sakura: Well, we have no control there. Again these standards are for the domestic market.

Me: Why don***8217;t you go after such manufacturers?

Sakurai: We do what we can ***8211; lately we go to auto parts shows (China, Middle East, etc.) and warn when we see violations. However, we are a cash strapped society, and legal action is very expensive ***8211; we try what we can do to get the word out, as you can see from our English and Chinese web pages. But the reality is, even if we were successful with one, others would arise in its place, it would be endless.

Me: Thank you very much for your time, Sakurai-san. Myself, and my fellow gaijin Skyline fans greatly appreciate this. May I call back if we have any follow up questions?

Sakurai: Yes of course, any time.

Thanks Aki. I do appreciate the time you have been putting in to try and clarify the specifics by which JWTC certifies wheels for the Japanese market.

Seems to me the best way to ascertain if PAWI / ROTA have VIA Certification for specific wheel designs is to actually go there and ask to see physical copies of documentation.

Automotive Light Alloy Wheel Test Council, 114-0003, Kita-ku, Tokyo, Toshima 7-26-2
Japan Vehicle Inspection Association in Office
TEL 03-5902-3455 FAX 03-5902-3411

Assuming they're not closed for all of Golden week I intend to give up a day next week (Tuesday or Wednesday) and visit (If they are not open during the holiday period then I will go the week after) & shall take a copy of the testing certificate posted on this thread to ask specifically what in this specific case it entitles the manufacturer to do, in other words, is the manufacturer on THIS certificate entitled to self-certify VIA?

Up till now as I have understood it, every after-market wheel design that carries the VIA mark must be tested by the Automotive Light Alloy Wheel Test Council, in the various ways that Aki has also confirmed following his conversation with JWTC staff as detailed above.

But without exception when VIA is stamped on a wheel there should be certificate copies available to confirm the design is indeed registered. So I will search for all the PAWI certificates that exist, take copies / clear photographs of any that I do find and post them. For good measure I will also check for a few copies of certificates pertaining to RAYS designs, or other known designs for comparison and where possible take other pictures of the facility, etc.

If in the meantime RotawheelsUK can produce PAWI copies of VIA / JWTC certificates for specific wheel designs carrying the logo / marks this would be most useful for resolving the situation at hand as clearly as possible so this dialogue can reach a distinct & completed conclusion.

Last edited by Miguel - Newera; 26th April 2013 at 03:44 PM..
Old 26th April 2013, 03:51 PM   #558 (permalink)
New Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel - Newera View Post
Thanks Aki. I do appreciate the time you have been putting in to try and clarify the specifics by which JWTC certifies wheels for the Japanese market.

Seems to me the best way to ascertain if PAWI / ROTA have VIA Certification for specific wheel designs is to actually go there and ask to see physical copies of documentation.

Automotive Light Alloy Wheel Test Council, 114-0003, Kita-ku, Tokyo, Toshima 7-26-2
Japan Vehicle Inspection Association in Office
TEL 03-5902-3455 FAX 03-5902-3411

Assuming they're not closed for all of Golden week I intend to give up a day next week (Tuesday or Wednesday) and visit (If they are not open during the holiday period then I will go the week after) & shall take a copy of the testing certificate posted on this thread to ask specifically what in this specific case it entitles the manufacturer to do, in other words, is the manufacturer on THIS certificate entitled to self-certify VIA?

Up till now as I have understood it, every after-market wheel design that carries the VIA mark must be tested by the Automotive Light Alloy Wheel Test Council, in the various ways that Aki has also confirmed following his conversation with JWTC staff as detailed above.

But without exception when VIA is stamped on a wheel there should be certificate copies available to confirm the design is indeed registered. So I will search for all the PAWI certificates that exist, take copies / clear photographs of any that I do find and post them. For good measure I will also check for a few copies of certificates pertaining to RAYS designs, or other known designs for comparison and where possible take other pictures of the facility, etc.

If in the meantime RotawheelsUK can produce PAWI copies of VIA / JWTC certificates for specific wheel designs carrying the logo / marks this would be most useful for resolving the situation at hand as clearly as possible so this dialogue can reach a distinct & completed conclusion.
And when you find them........what????

You're gambling that a wheel manufacturer with over 30yrs trading which SUPPLIES TO OEM, which has an approved testing laboratory AND a certificate of accreditation is pissing about with wheel markings?????

EXACTLY what would they have to gain by fraudulently marking their wheels if they are not even in the Japanese market where the VIA stamp has any meaning???
They are entitled to mark their wheels with a VIA logo as they have the correct testing facilities AND the authority to issue certification. I really dont get which parts of that statement are hard to grasp....

I can see some big helpings of...

on the cards.

You may need a (rather large)

(apologies that the fork does not have the required VIA logo)

TT

Last edited by tarmac terror; 26th April 2013 at 04:00 PM..
Old 26th April 2013, 04:02 PM   #559 (permalink)
TTOBES is unaware they can edit their status

Quote:
I will summarise the entire thing for you....

From your source....

"(1) About JWL and JWL-T marks
Concerning light alloy disc wheels Concerning light alloy disc wheels,
which are maintenance parts, to ensure quality and safety, the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism (MLIT) has stipulated “Technical Standards for Light Alloy Disc Wheels for Passenger Cars” for wheels for passenger cars, and “Technical Standards for Light Alloy Disc Wheels for Trucks And Buses” for wheels for trucks and buses, and stipulate the requirements that must be fulfilled for quality and performance.

For these technical standards, it is determined that auto manufacturers and wheel manufacturers conduct testing by themselves, and for products that conform to the standards (self-accreditation), markings should be placed on parts that can be easily checked in the state where JWL (for passenger cars) or JWL-T (for trucks and buses) marks is mounted on the vehicle."

From the above the MLIT has laid down a set of standards that a manufacturer can comply with(self accreditation) and is then entitled to display the 'JLW' mark on his product.

"(2) About the VIA mark
As confirmation of compliance under Paragraph (1) above with technical standards, this is voluntary accreditation, and safety of quality is relevant to human life so the Japan Light Alloy Automotive Wheel Testing Council (the “Council”) has set up a registration system for light-alloy disc wheels for domestic market sales (for the after-market) from the third party standpoint (the “VIA registration”).

For registration, verification test is conducted based on technical standards provided by MLIT, and judgment and assessment in accordance with the Japan Light Alloy Automotive Wheel Testing Council Regulations (the “Council Regulations”) are performed, and products that comply with the Council Regulations are registered.

The Council consists of three organizations, that is, “Japan Aluminum Association (JAA)”, an organization relevant to manufacturing of light-alloy disc wheels, “Nippon Auto Parts Aftermarket Committee (NAPAC) JAWA Division,” an organization relevant to sales thereof, and “Japan Vehicle Inspection Association” (“Vehicle Inspection”) , a third party testing institution, and testing and registration operations are carried out by Vehicle Inspection."

The JWTC is made up of the 'JAA', the 'NAPAC' and the 'VIA' who are the testing authority.
The certificate from PAWI is issued by the JWTC and states "JWTC recognises test reports from this laboratory". As the VIA is an integral part of the JWTC it would be fair to assume that the VIA will also 'recognise test reports from this laboratory'.
As no reports are required for the JLA mark and the equipment tests and lab accreditation were carried out by the VIA, it would also be fair to assume that it is VIA test reports they will accept'

If you look at the WSP link you will see they have an accredited lab at their facility in Italy to allow them to test their wheels. This would mean they do not have to send wheels to Japan.

TM WSP Italy wheels testing and certification

"All tests are conducted in a fully equiped company's laboratory, which is certified by TUV and JWL VIA institutions. All TM WSP Italy wheels undergo following tests in accordance to the UN/ECE 124 european norms."

This is the same type of facility that PAWI claim to have, meaning they do not have to send wheels to Japan either.

The certificate lists and approves four types of test equipment to carry out the same tests as listed on the WSP site. The certificate also states "JWTC recognises test reports from this laboratory"

It would appear that PAWI have the same type of accredited facility as WSP....

This would allow PAWI , as an accredited extension of VIA, to produce the required test reports and documentation to be sent to VIA for product registration. Once registered PAWI are entitled to display the VIA mark on that particular product.

"Q2:Can we label with VIA marks or limited load marks on our own authority?

A2: VIA marks or limited load marking can only be displayed on products that comply with verification test conducted by the Vehicle Inspection and registered with the Council. In addition, VIA marks and load labeling marks must be used in the stipulated sizes and styles.

This does not apply as the testing was carried out by an accredited VIA laboratory and the product is registered with the VIA.

"Q7: If we have approved testing equipment ourselves, can we display the VIA mark on products that have passed the tests in the relevant testing equipment?

Application for VIS registration should be filed with documents attached with results of evaluation (test reports) using approved and registered testing equipment, and then only products that pass the verification test at Vehicle Inspection and in documentary judgment, and which are then are registered with VIA may be labeled with the VIA mark on the light alloy disc wheel."

This does not apply as the testing was carried out by an accredited laboratory and the product is registered with the VIA.

"Q10: If VIA markings is a requirement on wheels to be sold outside Japan, since no Japanese standard is applicable therein, would it be acceptable to sell them with VIA markings without an actual VIA registration?

A10: VIA marks can only be used on products registered with VIA on products that are sold for the after-market in Japan.

Even if a product is sold in a country outside Japan, the VIAs marking cannot be displayed on products that are not registered with VIA.

The VIA mark is a trademark of Vehicle Inspection, and penalties are applicable for unauthorized use."

This does not apply as the testing was carried out by an accredited laboratory and the product is registered with the VIA.

Some of akasaksR33's conversation with JWTC...

1) Sakurai: the JWL and VIA standards apply to EACH wheel model. The JWL standard is really an OEM standard, the VIA standard is for aftermarket, but it’s important to remember that each standard is applied to each wheel model. And, these logos are applicable ONLY for the Japan Domestic Market.

Sakurai: there are literally thousands of wheels registered with us, so it would be “taihen” (= royal pain in the ass). I’m sorry but I won't check for you.

--Possibly why the didn't recall the PAWI or Rota name imediately.

3) Me: So self-certification is not possible for JWL?

Sakurai: It’s possible, but it must be pursuant to the standards we have. And again, the JWL logo is meant primarily for the OEMs for domestic sale. We trust the OEMs will maintain the standards.

--PAWI are OEM manufacturers and are therefore trusted to 'maintain thr standards??

4) Me: What about self certification for VIA? Isn't it possible to self-certify if you have equipment that meets your standards?

Sakurai: You must first have an accredited institution here in Japan, test a representative wheel, physically here in Japan, only after which you are allowed to submit up to 4 wheel models for VIA registration on such a documentary basis, subject to the test results showing the wheels meet the standards.

--The subject of accredited labs in manufacturers facilities had not come up before aka made this call which may be why 'accredited institutions' outside Japan were not mentioned. It is also possible that both PAWI and WSP follow the above method to register their product with VIA.

I had hoped that rotawheelsuk may have arrived with the registration documentation for the Rota Grid wheel by now...

Oh well, hope you enjoyed the read
Old 26th April 2013, 04:08 PM   #560 (permalink)
TAZZMAXX is shaking his head
ADMIN

Cars owned: Fiat 500L, Honda Prelude 2.2 vtec 4ws, Prelude 2.0 - The Elf
Quote:
im surprised ROTA/PAWI has not asked to delete/lock this thread for slandering and libelous acts.
We have received no complaints about this thread or it's content. Maybe the powers that be at PAWI have better things to do with their time than worry about internet discussions?