Permitted items - Page 23 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GTR Owners Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GTR Owners Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Brakes, Wheels, Tyres and Suspension (Skyline)
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 5th September 2013, 09:00 PM   #441 (permalink)
Miguel - Newera is surrounded by GT-R's.
GTR Register Trader

Cars owned: Techno Pro AE86, 280 bhp E30 M3, 500 bhp Knight Sports RX-7, Prelude S BB6-2010 Ebisu Endurance Champion. RC51 VTR SP2 - Tuned.
BenR, kinda how you describe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenR View Post
Having been around on forums for years, they start off great and reach a peak where the community is joint and there are a fair amount of members, but it soon nose dives as member numbers increase it becomes a spiralling Shit hole of arguments and trolling, and all the good members leave.

I talk to a lot of Skyline GT-R people through our work and the majority say they don't spend any time on here any more. I also talk with people who were daily posters here with thousands of posts & years of membership. They see the same trend as I describe, sadly. The bickering kills it for many incl. myself.

Last edited by Miguel - Newera; 5th September 2013 at 09:03 PM..
Miguel - Newera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 09:08 PM   #442 (permalink)
BenR is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

If you spend enough time on forums, you get to that stage. It's hard to stay enamoured with it irrespective, but the silver lining is that this is better than the rest.

I've been away from forums entirely for about 3 or 4 years to take a break.
Old 5th September 2013, 09:24 PM   #443 (permalink)
TTOBES is unaware they can edit their status

To put the issue of VIA and JWL certification into context, I get the impression that very few, if any, manufacturers outside Japan, who display the above certification marks, will have actually gone through the correct process to allow them to legally use them. I believe that the fraudulent use of these marks is widespread throughout the industry and that Rota are, undeservedly, vilified as the only ones to do so.

Miguel, as you have password access to the JWI database, would you be kind enough to spend some time and research this issue for us? It would be valuable information for all forum members to know which other manufacturers also fraudulently use these marks.

Old 5th September 2013, 09:27 PM   #444 (permalink)
tarmac terror is Wondering why it says 'New User' below.....*confused*
New Users

Cars owned: Genuine R32 GTR; Genuine X5 4.8iS; Replica Renault Megane 1.6; Reasonably Genuine Peugeot 306 Rallye
If 'debate' is now 'bickering' then this whole forum is indeed screwed...

I reiterate, 1 or 2 threads do not define a forum. I have been active on here for 10 years and most folks get on well. Given the number of users its an inevitable conclusion that there will be a few personalities that clash. However, some people are completely different characters away from the keyboard...hell I'm sure even Miguels a nice guy when he gets off the PC

If we cannt have a decent debate, which i think were having here, then we have lost something positive about the forum. To argue that these threads are in some way damaging is nonsense. Again, look at the number of views vs posts...clearly lots of folks interested who are not contributing!!!!

This is an unnecessary diversion from the topic in hand. Lets not get sidetracked...

TT
R32GTR- Stage 6; Frank Baxter exhaust with K-pipe; Rick Astley cams; Dave Gahan electrics; Bjorn Ulvaeus race prep; Howard Jones gearbox upgrade; Ray Charles body mods and styling. Mapped by Glenn Medeiros.------> Beat that R35 owners with dodgy parts list sigs :)
tarmac terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 09:30 PM   #445 (permalink)
New Users

Cars owned: Genuine R32 GTR; Genuine X5 4.8iS; Replica Renault Megane 1.6; Reasonably Genuine Peugeot 306 Rallye
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTOBES View Post
Miguel, as you have password access to the JWI database, would you be kind enough to spend some time and research this issue for us? It would be valuable information for all forum members to know which other manufacturers also fraudulently use these marks.
indeed, that WOULD be interesting. Im sure it would raise a few eyebrows...

TT
R32GTR- Stage 6; Frank Baxter exhaust with K-pipe; Rick Astley cams; Dave Gahan electrics; Bjorn Ulvaeus race prep; Howard Jones gearbox upgrade; Ray Charles body mods and styling. Mapped by Glenn Medeiros.------> Beat that R35 owners with dodgy parts list sigs :)
Old 5th September 2013, 09:40 PM   #446 (permalink)
Miguel - Newera is surrounded by GT-R's.
GTR Register Trader

Cars owned: Techno Pro AE86, 280 bhp E30 M3, 500 bhp Knight Sports RX-7, Prelude S BB6-2010 Ebisu Endurance Champion. RC51 VTR SP2 - Tuned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTOBES View Post
To put the issue of VIA and JWL certification into context, I get the impression that very few, if any, manufacturers outside Japan, who display the above certification marks, will have actually gone through the correct process to allow them to legally use them. I believe that the fraudulent use of these marks is widespread throughout the industry and that Rota are, undeservedly, vilified as the only ones to do so.

No, I've spent far too much time on this matter already and taken a lot of trouble for it. I'm done.
Old 5th September 2013, 10:14 PM   #447 (permalink)
TTOBES is unaware they can edit their status

Cool as bud. Would you consider passing the password on to me via PM?
I would be happy to undertake the project...
Old 5th September 2013, 10:16 PM   #448 (permalink)
HeavyDuty is glad everyone hates the R33.
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmac terror View Post
OK, so you imply that due to the ROTA being a cast version of a forged wheel that it will inherently fail......
TT
I don't believe I inferred or implied that, TT. I thought the quote I copied was succinct and without emotion, which this thread is fraught with.

To make a simile of one item based on another but differs in construction and in this case, weight, it's not "effectively" the same.

I would *never* denigrate someone for their choice of whatever they wish to spend their money on. To that end regarding "have only the finest or go home" is not part of my repertoire, nor did I employ fear based opinion on the Rotas.

My daily driver is a Navara with stock 16" wheels and I have no desire to change them, they are cast and could be as heavy as the sun and I don't care.

But when I shop for wheels for this car, though, I want the proper size, offset, as light (within reason) as possible, and I want a forged wheel.

Personal preference, that's all.
Old 5th September 2013, 10:39 PM   #449 (permalink)
New Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
Personal preference, that's all.
You know what...that's what a lot of us have been saying throughout this thread! If folks want to buy Rota (or indeed anything else) then have the decency to let them do so without:-
1. labelling them as knock-off Nigel's
2. Slating the Rota brand
3. Introducing the terms 'danger' and 'death' into the fold.

I'm talking generally here and not at you specifically.

I'm happy to let folks spend their money on whatever the hell they like. I'm just not seeing the same mantra being applied by some others on here who would rather jump on the Rota-bashing bandwagon then let folks get on with life and buying what they want....

There is an underlying current of 'preaching' by some who take a holier-than-thou attitude to folks who don't buy big name brands. This is not something new which has just cropped up all of a sudden. Its been rife for years and I'm sure will continue to go on.
There will always be those who buy top dollar items. In that group there will be those who perceive themselves to be 'buying quality' whereas there will be others who buy in order to demonstrate to others their spending ability. I can live with both of these reasons and that's fine.
However, there should be a similar amount of respect for those who choose NOT to buy these top dollar items too. Having been an engineer I can use a bit of nous to understand what my requirements are and to buy items which meet that requirement. They may or may not be top dollar items....Indeed, sometimes the top dollar product is inferior in certain aspects to a cheaper product. One thing I have learned over the years of fiddling with cars is this.......BIG £££ parts are not always the 'BEST' part for the job. Some people have still to learn that lesson.

Bottom line is this. Why don't we all agree that we can all go any buy WHATEVER we want for WHATEVER price we want to pay and be done with it??? Those that pay BIG£££ are happy with their choice and those who spend SMALL£££ are happy with theirs.

I mean, honestly, how is THAT SO DIFFICULT!!!???

TT
Old 5th September 2013, 10:50 PM   #450 (permalink)
BenR is unaware they can edit their status

Lol, did we just reach a mutual conclusion?

Can we move onto less pressing issues and go sort out the g20 now? I think they need the help.
Old 6th September 2013, 09:39 PM   #451 (permalink)
HeavyDuty is glad everyone hates the R33.
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmac terror View Post
Why don't we all agree that we can all go any buy WHATEVER we want for WHATEVER price we want to pay and be done with it???

I mean, honestly, how is THAT SO DIFFICULT!!!???

TT
It shouldn't be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenR View Post
Can we move onto less pressing issues and go sort out the g20 now? I think they need the help.
I realize that was tongue-in-cheek, but we (the U.S.) have devolved into a nation of damn fools.