Hicas or not to hicas thread.. - Page 24 - GT-R Register - Official Nissan Skyline and GTR Owners Club forum

Go Back   GT-R Register - Official Nissan Skyline and GTR Owners Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > General Nissan Skyline Chat
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: HICAS -
HICAS still being used and feel it improves the handling 154 24.68%
HICAS locked off and preffer handling now 166 26.60%
HICAS locked off and I miss it.. 7 1.12%
Considering locking the HICAS but neeed to know more 301 48.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 624. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31st July 2011, 12:11 PM   #346 (permalink)
Steve is Mr GTR
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Cars owned: Nissan Skyline R33 GT-R "V"Spec
Send a message via Yahoo to Steve
Again. no problem on GRT if you know how to drive it with HICAS!! 12 years of owership, a track dat a month, even in wintewr - NO ISSUES !!

Nissan Skyline R33 GTR Vspec
2.8ltr Tomei Forged Engine, 87mm Pistons, H Section Rods,Tomei Cams.
2008 Nissan GTR Black Edition
Litchfield Stage 2 Tune
Full Alcon 400mm BBK all Round
Gearbox Clip Upgrade
Complete Miltek 90mm Fast Flow Stainless Steel Exhaust System
K&N Filters
Carbon Fibre Dash and Centre Console Inlays
Front & Rear Parking Sensors
Dark Tints to Rear and Rear Quarter Windows
Bridgestone RE070ís
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 31st July 2011, 08:42 PM   #347 (permalink)
markM3 is unaware they can edit their status

Just put the driftworks hicas delete kit on. Feels much nicer to me, as didn't like the feel of the hicas.

Each to their own.
Old 1st August 2011, 12:07 AM   #348 (permalink)
hayasa is unaware they can edit their status
GTR Register Member

As you say, each to thier own.

I really like the way the HICAS gives my R32 much quicker responses than you would normally expect of such a big car. The almost instant lane changes for overtaking are magic! I haven't tried it on a track but for road use it feels fine and I can see no reason to remove it.
Old 1st August 2011, 08:18 AM   #349 (permalink)
Tinoush is dreaming of 500 HP
GTR Register User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Again. no problem on GRT if you know how to drive it with HICAS!! 12 years of owership, a track dat a month, even in wintewr - NO ISSUES !!
Same here, no problems at all.
Old 27th October 2011, 01:41 AM   #350 (permalink)
GT-R Glenn is aware Veilsides street R32 gtr ran 8.612 @ 172.5 MPH (Radials)
GTR Register User

Cars owned: R32GTR /GSXR1300DatsunB310/ R33 / KTM / Gasgas / Type R EG Civic
Send a message via ICQ to GT-R Glenn
Quote:
I really like the way the HICAS gives my R32 much quicker responses than you would normally expect of such a big car. The almost instant lane changes for overtaking are magic! I haven't tried it on a track but for road use it feels fine and I can see no reason to remove it.
LOL
Old 27th October 2011, 03:04 PM   #351 (permalink)
mambastu is looking forward to fork lift powah !
GTROC Member

Cars owned: TH1 R32GTR, Ex-RB25DETT RS13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayasa View Post

I really like the way the faulty HICAS gave my R32 a mind of its own. The way you'd drive down the road normally one minute and then have to apply lock the next minute to maintain a straight line was magic! I haven't tried it on a track but for road use it caused excessive sweating and fear of death and I can see every reason to remove it.
Old 27th October 2011, 07:22 PM   #352 (permalink)
ebola is indeterminate

Cars owned: UK:BNR32 AU:HNR32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mambastu View Post
I really like the way the faulty HICAS gave my R32 a mind of its own. The way you'd drive down the road normally one minute and then have to apply lock the next minute to maintain a straight line was magic! I haven't tried it on a track but for road use it caused excessive sweating and fear of death and I can see every reason to remove it.
Haha.

Fully working HICAS on an R32, And I really don't like the way it works so slowly and I can feel the turning radius change independently of steering input.

Of course, while I'm all for getting rid of hicas (especially on an r32), I don't think the standard 'lock bar' is the way to go - locking two (formerly) independent wheels together. great...
Old 10th November 2011, 08:34 PM   #353 (permalink)
hayasa is unaware they can edit their status
GTR Register Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambastu View Post

Interesting, You start by saying your HICAS was faulty then proceed to mock it. Any car with a faulty steering system is going to have handling issues! Thatís hardly a criticism of the HICAS, just your lack of maintenance!!
Old 10th November 2011, 10:21 PM   #354 (permalink)
drewzer is going RB30 soon!
GTR Register User

Fitted My superforma lock out kit in preparation for summer (just past, if we even had one that is!!) on my r33 gtr v-spec. Purchased it via the group buy on here. Brilliant bit of kit, top quality components. Bit of a pain in the arse to fit with out the use of a ramp, but i did polly bush the whole rear end with superpro's at the same time. So maby made the whole thing seem like a worse job than it actually was!

It has made the car handle much better, i just feel it is allot more sure footed and predictable. I had a full geometry set up done by clark motorsport after completion. Their was nothing functionally wrong with the HICAS, i just hated the roll/yaw feeling during cornering at speed. I am the type that hates driver aids, so may be different for people who just like to drive and not think about it or have little knowledge or interest in a cars capabilities on the edge.
Old 29th February 2012, 08:55 PM   #355 (permalink)
DrGtr is unaware they can edit their status
GTR Register User

in case i want to make a service to my hicas, what can i do to prolong the life of it, shall i change the ball joints since i am changing the bushes of the car? what else?
Old 1st March 2012, 01:00 PM   #356 (permalink)
r34grunn is unaware they can edit their status
GTR Register User

my hicas is locked
Old 1st April 2012, 03:09 PM   #357 (permalink)
TheD is busily writing apps for the app store
GTR Register User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayasa View Post

Can I just ask. Have you actually driven a properly locked out GTR with no HICAS at speed or in anger?
Old 1st April 2012, 03:17 PM   #358 (permalink)
GTR Register User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGtr View Post
in case i want to make a service to my hicas, what can i do to prolong the life of it, shall i change the ball joints since i am changing the bushes of the car? what else?
Even slightly worn ball joints and tw slightest bit of play in the rack will absolutely ruin the handling.
Not sure if your experience but make sure you DO NOT attempt to whack the ball joins out of the uprights with a hammer. You won't do it and you stand a chance of cracking the alloy without realising it (hairline). Then you run the risk of it breaking up at speed.

You'll need a hydraulic press capable of at least ten tonnes if I remember correctly from doing mine. Your best bet is to swing by a local workshop somewhere and offer them a but of cash. It's a five minute job and not rocket science. Think it cost me a tenner.
Old 1st April 2012, 03:25 PM   #359 (permalink)
GTR Register User

Quote:
Originally Posted by markM3 View Post
Just put the driftworks hicas delete kit on. Feels much nicer to me, as didn't like the feel of the hicas.

Each to their own.
I have the Driftworks HICAS lockout kit. It differs from most in that you remove the original ball joints from the uprights completely and replace with bushes. You also completely remove the HICAS rack and skinny track rods). So any potential play from worn ball joints in the uprights etc. is also removed.

The car is absolutely sh?t ar parking and tight radius turning ar walking pace now but at 20mph+ the car is now like a gokart. Information is transmitted back from the road much more clearly, response to change of direction is clean and crisp and everything feels taught, stuff and instant. I feel alot less wander during high speed cornering.

But be prepared for confused people looking at you when they don't leave you enough space to get round a corner at a car park or tight junction with parked cars on it.
Old 3rd April 2012, 12:42 PM   #360 (permalink)
GTR Register User

Just read my posts. I'm starting to read like the script for the policeman from Ello, Ello!