Buying a R34 GT-R in Japan - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GTR Owners Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GTR Owners Club forum > General > General Nissan Skyline Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rain

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11th December 2014, 01:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
RB26DETTpowered is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Buying a R34 GT-R in Japan

Hey, I'm Ethan and I'm new to this forum. I'm wondering how much money you'd save if you bought a stock Skyline R34 GT-R in Japan. I'm from Canada and these cars were just made legal this year since it's been 15 years since the first R34's were released. So obviously they're going to be pricey (some are selling for 45-50 grand when they have close to 100km). I'm hoping to get one in another 4-6 years or so, and I believe the R34s are gong to hold their price better then the R32s and R33s, so I'd still be sh-t out of luck. So I'm wondering how much I'd save buying one from Japan (this includes plane ticket, shipping, etc)

Cheers.
Old 11th December 2014, 02:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rain is asleep
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

There are a few importers already bringing these into Canada, have you been in touch with them regarding cars they have or cars they can get for you yet?

Edit: re-read the post. Depends on a lot! You can save a fair bit of money if you can get to the auctions and bid on a car, but its always a crapshoot, it might look good on paper, what you get may not be what you are expecting. But generally, its not too bad!

The prices are inflated since dealers want to take advantage. If you have time, and the will to do the leg work, you can make a VERY fun trip out of it. You can put aside a week or so, and make it a actual fun holiday, that you just so happen to buy are car on!

You will get more done, if you have someone who can talk with people there, the language barrier would be the only thing id be weary about.

As for how much you will save, possibly a lot, possibly not much...it depends what kind of car you want. Good examples are not cheap there either, shipping cost will depend if you Ro-Ro or container ship. When its in Canada you will need to take time to get your paperwork in order and pay your dues to customs.

Take into account the amount of time you will spend, to source a good car too.

Personally, Id let one of the Canadian sourcing guys find you a good car, Id make the effort to fly to Japan to see it myself, and make a trip out of it!

If im happy, id buy it, and let them deal with the hassle of getting it to me...but thats me.

Also, personally I would go with a Canadian broker / dealer. There are good ones in the UK, but id leave them to source cars for the UK market, since the see their margins in GBP, which is almost 2x the Canadian dollar, you will be paying more in that aspect alone.

Think it over! No need to rush. plenty of nice 34s still in Japan.
V-SpecII likes this.

Last edited by Rain; 11th December 2014 at 03:12 AM..
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2014, 04:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
RB26DETTpowered is unaware they can edit their status

Thanks for the detailed answer, Rain! Like I said, I'm still a high school student, so I'll just have to be patient and see how the prices turn out in the next 4-6 years. Cheers.

Old 21st December 2014, 03:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rain is asleep
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Not a problem!

Good luck with school, Alberta has a lot of opportunity in some good fields of work, all the best with your future!
Old 29th December 2014, 01:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
EMAGDNIM is Closet full of car bits with no car :(

As a person who's imported a car in Canada (using a importer), the major costs will be the car itself. I wanted a more "turn key" approach, so my importer did everything from organizing shipping, making it Canadian road legal, registering it, general maintenance, etc.

There's cheaper ways to get it here, but those involve you doing the leg work once it's loaded on the ship from Japan.

I'll be in the market for a BNR34 in a few years myself. I'm hoping to just buy one that's already landed. If not then, it's the slow process of searching the Japanese auctions for something that meets my criteria. I had figured that it will cost me anywhere from $40-60 depending on grade, and upgrades.