Updating an old favourite.... - Page 2 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GTR Owners Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GTR Owners Club forum > General > Nissan GT-R > R35 GT-R Projects
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree101Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th March 2015, 12:43 PM   #21 (permalink)
paul__k is unaware they can edit their status
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Watching this thread with interest.
Can vouch for the DS2500 as on my second set. I think they are the best pad for 95% road use 5% track use.
Had a lorry pull out in front of me on a dual carriageway and pulled 1.4 G on the MFD just pulled up behind him. If I had had the cosworth road pads on it would have been a write off.
Old 11th March 2015, 12:50 PM   #22 (permalink)
Chronos is ripping up the tarmac with Godzilla ALL year round
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: R35 Black Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul__k View Post
Watching this thread with interest.
Can vouch for the DS2500 as on my second set. I think they are the best pad for 95% road use 5% track use.
Had a lorry pull out in front of me on a dual carriageway and pulled 1.4 G on the MFD just pulled up behind him. If I had had the cosworth road pads on it would have been a write off.
Do yours keep a good cold bite?? as mine dont seem to, i have the Ferodo DS2500 front AND BACK

Mine seem to be track versions, as i need a bit of heat into them 3-4 good stops, to get them going properly, and they quickly lose the heat on the motorway, so dont seem very strong until i have done the same 2-3 manoeuvres again
R35 GT-R Black Edition ACSpeedtech remap EcuTek / Dodson Uprated gearbox +2013software/Greddy Intercooler/Russ Fellows Custom Full exhaust system+Downpipes/ASNU 1050 Injectors/ACSpeedtech intakes/R888R 275~305/Alcon Extreme duty discs+Hawk pads
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2015, 06:51 PM   #23 (permalink)
charles charlie is Running his engine in...

Cars owned: E36 M3 Evo, Mini Cooper S, 996 Boxster S, Caterham Super 7, Merc Tractor :(
Update.

Just been told my Varis CF bonnet is on the way. Will be colour coded to the car. Best bonnet I've seen by miles.

Also update on the brakes.

AWESOME.

End of.

Engine forged by Riverside Racing
Capricorn pistons Arrow rods
Tomei Poncams
Russ Fellows Zorst
Litchfield Superstock IC
Racing Brake BBK
Xtreme 12 Clutch
SSP trans cooler
2015 interior/alloys/nav upgraded
Nismo cluster
Litcho handling+suspension
DBA front + Varis CF bonnet
TTE7XX turbos = 850bhp 690lbsft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
charles charlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13th March 2015, 12:26 PM   #24 (permalink)
Impossible is Happy

what kind of weight savings do you get with a CF bonnet?

I am hoping to do a project at some point next year and wanted to drop 120kg approx.
I know I can drop 50kg with good seats alone. Maybe I'm asking for too much?
Old 13th March 2015, 12:49 PM   #25 (permalink)

Cars owned: E36 M3 Evo, Mini Cooper S, 996 Boxster S, Caterham Super 7, Merc Tractor :(
OEM 12.1kgs

Varis CF one 8.5kgs

Not that nuch

Tomei Poncams
Russ Fellows Zorst
Litchfield Superstock IC
Racing Brake BBK
Xtreme 12 Clutch
SSP trans cooler
Nismo cluster

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 13th March 2015, 12:56 PM   #26 (permalink)

Biggest weight saving would be going CCM rotors. Surface transform based up near me in Liverpool do front and rear rotors for about 8k plus vat.

You lose loads of weight and its unsprung, improving steering especially

Tomei Poncams
Russ Fellows Zorst
Litchfield Superstock IC
Racing Brake BBK
Xtreme 12 Clutch
SSP trans cooler
Nismo cluster

Old 13th March 2015, 01:08 PM   #27 (permalink)
Adamantium is apparently poisonous to Wolverine - who knew?

Cars owned: Audi Q5 3.0TDi quattro S-Line Plus S-Tronic, Audi A5 3.0 TDi quattro Cabriolet S-Line S-Tronic
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles charlie View Post
Biggest weight saving would be going CCM rotors. Surface transform based up near me in Liverpool do front and rear rotors for about 8k plus vat.

You lose loads of weight and its unsprung, improving steering especially
unsprung and rotating - extra benefit to steering feel, suspension and power at the wheels.

Can surface transform make ccm rotors for your existing kit if you decide to go that way in the future?

Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2015, 01:18 PM   #28 (permalink)

Yes they can. The RB calipers is compatible with any rotor that fits the R35. Currently I have the 400mm front rotors and the caliper had the usual spacer where it attaches to the upright, so if I dropped to a 380mm disc I'd just remove that spacer.

Surface transform do an OEM suitable upgrade as well as supplying RB with just rotors. RB then add their hats/bells and balance them up etc.

The flexibility of the RB kit is what attracted me to it, like being able to use oem sized pads. The Alcon kit is a stunning piece of kit it's just a shame you can only use their proprietary sized pads.

Tomei Poncams
Russ Fellows Zorst
Litchfield Superstock IC
Racing Brake BBK
Xtreme 12 Clutch
SSP trans cooler
Nismo cluster

Old 14th March 2015, 08:10 AM   #29 (permalink)
Anders_R35 is Shells best customer
GTROC Member

Andy, do you not get on with RS29 pads? I find they bite well cold but can handle anything you throw at them on track. Low dust too.
MY11 Daytona Blue, Litchfield Manifold EFR 6758's, Whifbitz 102mm exhaust, AMS FMIC, ASNU 1100cc Injectors, V5 EcuTek - 852bhp / 654lbft, Alcon Superkit RS29 pads, Litchfield Suspension, Mines steering wheel, Sextons Audio
Anders_R35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2015, 10:46 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders_R35 View Post
Andy, do you not get on with RS29 pads? I find they bite well cold but can handle anything you throw at them on track. Low dust too.
Hi Anders, in my opinion the RS29 are the best all round pad I've ever used in my GTR.

Everything you've said there is spot on, only thing you missed is the exceptional wear rate too. I know they're expensive but they're great value for money given how long they last, how little they mess up your wheels, and how they can get you to and from a track day as well as performing brilliantly whilst on track.

I think the RS29 are the ultimate GTR pad, and the only reason why I'm using Racing Brakes supplied street pads is simply because they were included in the kit.

Another small update...

Just put some Muteki Neo chrome lug nuts on. A little ricey but subtle and lifts the wheels a smidgen.

Photos don't do the colour and subtlety any justice. I've some other makes on order so may swap them over.

Tomei Poncams
Russ Fellows Zorst
Litchfield Superstock IC
Racing Brake BBK
Xtreme 12 Clutch
SSP trans cooler
Nismo cluster

Old 14th March 2015, 11:41 PM   #31 (permalink)
dinny is CLUB MEMBER

Dentistry

Quote:
Just finished an MSc in Advanced Restorative and Aesthetic Dentistry at Uni of Manchester.
hi Charles any chance you would do a cheap job on my teeth
Old 15th March 2015, 07:23 AM   #32 (permalink)
Anders_R35 is Shells best customer
GTROC Member

Quote:
Hi Anders, in my opinion the RS29 are the best all round pad I've ever used in my GTR.

Everything you've said there is spot on, only thing you missed is the exceptional wear rate too. I know they're expensive but they're great value for money given how long they last, how little they mess up your wheels, and how they can get you to and from a track day as well as performing brilliantly whilst on track.

I think the RS29 are the ultimate GTR pad, and the only reason why I'm using Racing Brakes supplied street pads is simply because they were included in the kit.
That's fair enough if they come with other pads, calipers look great.
MY11 Daytona Blue, Litchfield Manifold EFR 6758's, Whifbitz 102mm exhaust, AMS FMIC, ASNU 1100cc Injectors, V5 EcuTek - 852bhp / 654lbft, Alcon Superkit RS29 pads, Litchfield Suspension, Mines steering wheel, Sextons Audio
Anders_R35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2015, 12:58 PM   #33 (permalink)
dinny is CLUB MEMBER

Seats

Quote:
A little bit of history...

I bought my trusty Premium edition R35 in May 2009.

Middlehursts put me a y-pipe, CF rear spoiler and reverse camera kit on it before I picked it up (all supplied by me).

I buckled after 3 months and Stage 2 Cobb'd it, adding in a loud Titan exhaust and PF rotors and pads all round as I started tracking it whenever I could.

Finally I added the usual adornments to make it a stage 4 running 620bhp, 600 ish lbsft torque. The limit for the stock internals was reached about 3 years ago and there it has remained.

Track days became few and far between because of the birth of my daughter in 2013, and taking on a Master's degree at the same time.

So over the last 2 years or so I've been toying with the idea of getting shot of it but I just couldn't think of anything affordable that could compare. Bentley GT Speed? Another R35 but a 2011+ car? All nice ideas but I just couldn't shake the fact that I absolutely love getting into the R35 every day, the way it drives, the way it looks.

Xmas 2014 saw intense and detailed negotiations with a higher authority which resulted in me being given the green light to start updating my old favourite.

I've been very lucky to have had Paul and his team from Riverside Racing here in Liverpool to look after me and install everything, their work is top notch and worry free!

Upgrades so far...

Sat Nav upgrade:
Andrejus's kit with the upgraded screen and nav unit is a revelation. I added in the newer dials for the AC panel too. Best £1400 I've spent on my car thus far. Took me a while to fit as I had all my old ipod connection and reverse camera stuff to remove. Bluetooth audio streaming? Utterly fab. You can now get this nifty upgrade from Andy at R35audio I believe, inc fitting.

Brake upgrade:
I knew my old PF rotors and pagid pads were getting very worn so I looked around for options. I looked at the Alcon BBK but I couldnt justify 12k+ for it and the fact you have to use proprietary pads put me off. I found a thread over at GTRHeritage were Shawn Hayes (a well respected GTR owner/forum member/track+diy enthusiast) had been reviewing a BBK set up by a small lesser known US company called Racing Brakes.
I did some digging and plumped for their BBK kit. All in delivered inc duties is about 4k less than the Alcons. Nice big calipers front and rear, 400mm front rotors, 390 rears and uses OEM size pads so I can swap them to anything I fancy at a later date. I like that approach. I opted for the hard anodised finish as it matched the car's colour.

Monster front caliper next to a mug of coffee..

Front calipers prior to fitting with their protective covering

Front caliper and rotor fitted (after a little bedding in)

Rear rotors

These feel simply awesome. The kit comes with hard brake lines, street pads included. After bedding them in I've been stomping on these from over a ton with eye bulging effect. The increased thermal mass will come into its own on track but for a street upgrade, they're amazing, and cheaper than the Alcons to boot.

Alloy wheels and Recaros:
A lovely young chap called Tin sold me his 2011(?) wheels and front recaros. I've always loved the newer wheels and fancied the upgraded seats as I always felt my arse was on top of the older seats, not in them. The Recaros are so much more comfortable. You really sit into the seat and they're much more hugging. Love em.

New front seats fitted.

Arty side shot

Another arty side shot

There's more to come here.

Paul and I are planning a 900+ build, so rods/pistons/fuel system/EFR turbos to come but so far so nice. We've addressed the main gripes I had with the car first, namely comfort (seats), usability (nav upgrade), and driveability (bigger brakes).

Next comes the power

Many, many thanks to Paul, Warren, Tom and the gang at Riverside Racing.

You guys are awesome.
Charles those seats are very impressive I like them a great upgrade
Old 25th March 2015, 12:28 PM   #34 (permalink)
misters3 is loving the torque in the E70!
GTROC Member

Cars owned: BMW 335D, R35
Can't believe i've only just stumbled across this thread! Lots of lovely wee changes. I'm starting to get the love back for my car after work and life getting in the way so nice to see what some of 'oldies' are doing to our cars.

Last edited by misters3; 25th March 2015 at 01:03 PM..
misters3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2015, 01:52 PM   #35 (permalink)
Zed Ed is elsewhere, mostly

Cars owned: BRZ track project
Good to see the brown beast is still going
Old 1st April 2015, 02:30 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed Ed View Post
Good to see the brown beast is still going
Ed, I am honoured by your presence!

How's tricks me old pal?

Tomei Poncams
Russ Fellows Zorst
Litchfield Superstock IC
Racing Brake BBK
Xtreme 12 Clutch
SSP trans cooler
Nismo cluster

Old 1st April 2015, 02:51 PM   #37 (permalink)
Zed Ed is elsewhere, mostly

Cars owned: BRZ track project
Quote:
Ed, I am honoured by your presence!

How's tricks me old pal?
No more captain slow; been practising

Unplanned spring engine rebuild pending on my little track project, so might have to postpone a few upgrades I had been thinking of.
Old 1st April 2015, 08:55 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed Ed View Post
No more captain slow; been practising

Unplanned spring engine rebuild pending on my little track project, so might have to postpone a few upgrades I had been thinking of.
Great to hear you've found the gas pedal...

....and then blown an engine!!

Any pics to share if the carnage?!

Tomei Poncams
Russ Fellows Zorst
Litchfield Superstock IC
Racing Brake BBK
Xtreme 12 Clutch
SSP trans cooler
Nismo cluster

Old 20th May 2015, 07:42 PM   #39 (permalink)

A quick update

What could be happening here?
Mookistar likes this.

Tomei Poncams
Russ Fellows Zorst
Litchfield Superstock IC
Racing Brake BBK
Xtreme 12 Clutch
SSP trans cooler
Nismo cluster

Old 20th May 2015, 07:52 PM   #40 (permalink)
GTRSTILL is R35 Daily, R34 Weekends

Winding the clock back before you sell it for a Skyline?