Updating an old favourite.... - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GTR Owners Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GTR Owners Club forum > General > Nissan GT-R > R35 GT-R Projects
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree79Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th March 2015, 03:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
charles charlie is Running his engine in...
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Cars owned: E36 M3 Evo, Mini Cooper S, 996 Boxster S, Caterham Super 7, Merc Tractor :(
Updating an old favourite....

A little bit of history...

I bought my trusty Premium edition R35 in May 2009.

Middlehursts put me a y-pipe, CF rear spoiler and reverse camera kit on it before I picked it up (all supplied by me).

I buckled after 3 months and Stage 2 Cobb'd it, adding in a loud Titan exhaust and PF rotors and pads all round as I started tracking it whenever I could.

Finally I added the usual adornments to make it a stage 4 running 620bhp, 600 ish lbsft torque. The limit for the stock internals was reached about 3 years ago and there it has remained.

Track days became few and far between because of the birth of my daughter in 2013, and taking on a Master's degree at the same time.

So over the last 2 years or so I've been toying with the idea of getting shot of it but I just couldn't think of anything affordable that could compare. Bentley GT Speed? Another R35 but a 2011+ car? All nice ideas but I just couldn't shake the fact that I absolutely love getting into the R35 every day, the way it drives, the way it looks.

Xmas 2014 saw intense and detailed negotiations with a higher authority which resulted in me being given the green light to start updating my old favourite.

I've been very lucky to have had Paul and his team from Riverside Racing here in Liverpool to look after me and install everything, their work is top notch and worry free!

Upgrades so far...

Sat Nav upgrade:
Andrejus's kit with the upgraded screen and nav unit is a revelation. I added in the newer dials for the AC panel too. Best £1400 I've spent on my car thus far. Took me a while to fit as I had all my old ipod connection and reverse camera stuff to remove. Bluetooth audio streaming? Utterly fab. You can now get this nifty upgrade from Andy at R35audio I believe, inc fitting.

Brake upgrade:
I knew my old PF rotors and pagid pads were getting very worn so I looked around for options. I looked at the Alcon BBK but I couldnt justify 12k+ for it and the fact you have to use proprietary pads put me off. I found a thread over at GTRHeritage were Shawn Hayes (a well respected GTR owner/forum member/track+diy enthusiast) had been reviewing a BBK set up by a small lesser known US company called Racing Brakes.
I did some digging and plumped for their BBK kit. All in delivered inc duties is about 4k less than the Alcons. Nice big calipers front and rear, 400mm front rotors, 390 rears and uses OEM size pads so I can swap them to anything I fancy at a later date. I like that approach. I opted for the hard anodised finish as it matched the car's colour.

Monster front caliper next to a mug of coffee..

Front calipers prior to fitting with their protective covering

Front caliper and rotor fitted (after a little bedding in)

Rear rotors

These feel simply awesome. The kit comes with hard brake lines, street pads included. After bedding them in I've been stomping on these from over a ton with eye bulging effect. The increased thermal mass will come into its own on track but for a street upgrade, they're amazing, and cheaper than the Alcons to boot.

Alloy wheels and Recaros:
A lovely young chap called Tin sold me his 2011(?) wheels and front recaros. I've always loved the newer wheels and fancied the upgraded seats as I always felt my arse was on top of the older seats, not in them. The Recaros are so much more comfortable. You really sit into the seat and they're much more hugging. Love em.

New front seats fitted.

Arty side shot

Another arty side shot

There's more to come here.

Paul and I are planning a 900+ build, so rods/pistons/fuel system/EFR turbos to come but so far so nice. We've addressed the main gripes I had with the car first, namely comfort (seats), usability (nav upgrade), and driveability (bigger brakes).

Next comes the power

Many, many thanks to Paul, Warren, Tom and the gang at Riverside Racing.

You guys are awesome.
Mookistar, paulmc, sin and 6 others like this.

Engine forged by Riverside Racing
Capricorn pistons Arrow rods
Tomei Poncams
Russ Fellows Zorst
Litchfield Superstock IC
Racing Brake BBK
SSP trans cooler
2015 interior/alloys/nav upgraded
Nismo cluster
Litcho handling
DBA front + Varis CF bonnet
TTE7XX turbos = ???bhp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
charles charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2015, 05:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
LiamGTR is the creator of your GTR Register logo
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: E46 330Ci SSG
Very subtle exterior and sorted interior. Great stuff.

Off topic:
What Masters you doing?
Old 9th March 2015, 05:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Cars owned: E36 M3 Evo, Mini Cooper S, 996 Boxster S, Caterham Super 7, Merc Tractor :(
Just finished an MSc in Advanced Restorative and Aesthetic Dentistry at Uni of Manchester.
LiamGTR, V-SpecII and samgtr like this.

Tomei Poncams
Russ Fellows Zorst
Litchfield Superstock IC
Racing Brake BBK
SSP trans cooler
Nismo cluster
Litcho handling
TTE7XX turbos = ???bhp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 9th March 2015, 07:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mookistar is a lover of steak but fed up with Beef
Site Admin.

Cars owned: Mookiwagen Passat and R33 GTR
Great to see the love is still there!

View my Garage -

- then set up your own!

Now on Facebook -
Mookistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2015, 07:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookistar View Post
Great to see the love is still there!
Sure is buddy. Coming up to our 6th anniversary which I believe is wood.

Kind of apt given how it feels to drive this car.....

Tomei Poncams
Russ Fellows Zorst
Litchfield Superstock IC
Racing Brake BBK
SSP trans cooler
Nismo cluster
Litcho handling
TTE7XX turbos = ???bhp

Old 9th March 2015, 09:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tin
Tin is a Nutcase.

Excellent! was wondering when they'd all be fitted, looks brilliant! (btw seats and wheels are from a my12) Looks great now!

I looked at the RB brakes for my other car, do you get the infamous waning sound from the drilled slots? Alot of positive reviews and feedback on them.
Old 9th March 2015, 09:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
SamboGrove is needs more money for his R32!
GTROC Member

Cars owned: R32 GTR, AUDI A3, R35 GTR (Sold)
Nice to see you back round these parts Andy.

Some good upgrades too. Be interested to hear a more in depth review of the brake set up once you've given them a bit of stick.
Old 9th March 2015, 09:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
Excellent! was wondering when they'd all be fitted, looks brilliant! (btw seats and wheels are from a my12) Looks great now!

I looked at the RB brakes for my other car, do you get the infamous waning sound from the drilled slots? Alot of positive reviews and feedback on them.
Cheers Tin, the seats and alloys were in immaculate condition, a real credit to you. Those seats! So much better than my old ones!

Haven't dine that much driving with the new brakes yet. In and out of work today, heavy traffic, some increase in sound, not sure if that's something to do with having the RFTs on the new alloys and having been use to the MPSS for over a year and a half? No waning sounds yet but it's only early days!! Stopping power is immense though. Brutal even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamboGrove View Post
Nice to see you back round these parts Andy.

Some good upgrades too. Be interested to hear a more in depth review of the brake set up once you've given them a bit of stick.
Thanks Sam, great to be back and meddling with my car.

I'll be posting back in this thread once I've given them some welly so stay tuned.

Tomei Poncams
Russ Fellows Zorst
Litchfield Superstock IC
Racing Brake BBK
SSP trans cooler
Nismo cluster
Litcho handling
TTE7XX turbos = ???bhp

Old 10th March 2015, 03:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Another small update..

I read that Ecutek was able to supply the Nismo TCM tune so I shot Ben an email and voila, a nice new Nismo hybrid TCM rom to play with

It reminds me of the jump from LC1 to LC2 back in the day.

Much smoother changes, better low speed manners around 1st and 2nd gear, crisp upshifts.

I know this sort of thing can be very subjective, but I'd also say downshifts are faster and more precise, had no moments where I've pulled the paddle, but the box hasn't dropped a gear for me.

I'd say the best description is it's lost a lot of its lazy ways.

Well worth £150 to Master Linney, that's for sure.

Tomei Poncams
Russ Fellows Zorst
Litchfield Superstock IC
Racing Brake BBK
SSP trans cooler
Nismo cluster
Litcho handling
TTE7XX turbos = ???bhp

Old 10th March 2015, 03:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Chronos is ripping up the tarmac with Godzilla

Cars owned: R35 Black Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles charlie View Post
Another small update..

I read that Ecutek was able to supply the Nismo TCM tune so I shot Ben an email and voila, a nice new Nismo hybrid TCM rom to play with
It reminds me of the jump from LC1 to LC2 back in the day.
Much smoother changes, better low speed manners around 1st and 2nd gear, crisp upshifts.
I know this sort of thing can be very subjective, but I'd also say downshifts are faster and more precise, had no moments where I've pulled the paddle, but the box hasn't dropped a gear for me.
I'd say the best description is it's lost a lot of its lazy ways.
Well worth £150 to Master Linney, that's for sure.
car looks great bud, some great tasteful mods! Ive got alcons with ferodos' and aint overly-happy with the pads tbh

Nismo TCM!! Why hasnt acspeed told me!! where's that telephone....
Old 10th March 2015, 04:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
car looks great bud, some great tasteful mods! Ive got alcons with ferodos' and aint overly-happy with the pads tbh

Nismo TCM!! Why hasnt acspeed told me!! where's that telephone....
Give Andy a bell - I'm sure there's a Nismo TCM map waiting for you!

Which Ferrodo pads you been using? My pal Paul at Riverside gives those DS2500 a real beating at the 'Ring and says you cant much better for the money.

Never tried them myself though - must be the only pads for the R35 I haven't!

Tomei Poncams
Russ Fellows Zorst
Litchfield Superstock IC
Racing Brake BBK
SSP trans cooler
Nismo cluster
Litcho handling
TTE7XX turbos = ???bhp

Old 10th March 2015, 05:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Adamantium is apparently indestructible!

Cars owned: Audi Q5 3.0TDi quattro S-Line Plus S-Tronic, Audi A5 3.0 TDi quattro Cabriolet S-Line S-Tronic
Not that it matters Andy but you do know that no one pays more than £9k for the alcon superkit.

Not sure your price comparison is a fair representation.

Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2015, 05:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

Adam,

1. Litchfields website lists BBK as £9,279.27 +VAT here
2. We both know you are in a fortunate position and often get items for less than list which is not indicative of the price that many of us would pay.
3. Have the decency to not thread crap my thread. It's not polite.
dinny likes this.

Tomei Poncams
Russ Fellows Zorst
Litchfield Superstock IC
Racing Brake BBK
SSP trans cooler
Nismo cluster
Litcho handling
TTE7XX turbos = ???bhp

Old 10th March 2015, 06:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
njd
njd is loving my wrap
GTROC Member

Cars owned: r33 gtr, r34 gtr and now r35
Hi Andy

Good to see you are back 'tinkering'!
Some of the earlier stuff you did with the car was very interesting and helpful to a lot of people on here so keep it up.

Do you still use this as your daily driver or is it just a weekend toy now?
How many miles have you done - I got mine about the same time as yours and I have done 38k and have early signs of a problem with the gearbox. Middlehursts are going to look at it and advise, but it may curtail some of my spending as like you I have decided to keep it and spend on it rather than change into the unknown.
I have used R35 audio for a few things and he is a really nice guy and so I am sorely tempted by the sat nav upgrade - I was also contemplating the stereo upgrade as well that he does but not sure I can justify both.

One final question - when did you get it resprayed - it doesn't look brown anymore
Old 10th March 2015, 08:33 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by njd View Post
Hi Andy

Good to see you are back 'tinkering'!
Some of the earlier stuff you did with the car was very interesting and helpful to a lot of people on here so keep it up.

Do you still use this as your daily driver or is it just a weekend toy now?
How many miles have you done - I got mine about the same time as yours and I have done 38k and have early signs of a problem with the gearbox. Middlehursts are going to look at it and advise, but it may curtail some of my spending as like you I have decided to keep it and spend on it rather than change into the unknown.
I have used R35 audio for a few things and he is a really nice guy and so I am sorely tempted by the sat nav upgrade - I was also contemplating the stereo upgrade as well that he does but not sure I can justify both.

One final question - when did you get it resprayed - it doesn't look brown anymore
Evening Neil how you doing?

I've had a couple of trans issues which my pal at riverside racing has sorted for me. I can recommend him if you get stuck, as he's fixed plenty of them for other garages.

Mines in use every day so 54k and counting, but sadly less of a track weapon these days.

That's kind of why I've gone down the cosmetic and comfort upgrade route first with power upgrades coming over the next few months.

The nav upgrade is more than just nav. iPod input, better screen etc is just fab. I want Andys audio upgrade but I want to hear it first before I splash the cash. I'm hoping to listen to Johnny Gs car just as soon as we can find a time to meet. The great thing about both upgrades is they combine so well together but can be utilised separately almost as a staged upgrade.

I'd also heartily recommend the updated Recaros. They're bloody brilliant compared to our old seats.

Tomei Poncams
Russ Fellows Zorst
Litchfield Superstock IC
Racing Brake BBK
SSP trans cooler
Nismo cluster
Litcho handling
TTE7XX turbos = ???bhp

Old 10th March 2015, 09:12 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Give Andy a bell - I'm sure there's a Nismo TCM map waiting for you!
Which Ferrodo pads you been using? My pal Paul at Riverside gives those DS2500 a real beating at the 'Ring and says you cant much better for the money.
Never tried them myself though - must be the only pads for the R35 I haven't!
Ferodo DS2500 front and back, I've found that you have to get a load of heat into them on the road before they start to really kick in , then a few miles on the motorway and they lose heat quick.. .. maybe i need some with much better cold bite.. good thing they dont squeak tho
Old 10th March 2015, 09:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
Anders_R35 is Shells best customer
GTROC Member

Some nice mods there Andy, nice refresh.
MY11 Daytona Blue, Litchfield Manifold EFR 6758's, Whifbitz 102mm exhaust, AMS FMIC, ASNU 1100cc Injectors, V5 EcuTek - 852bhp / 654lbft, Alcon Superkit RS29 pads, Litchfield Suspension, Mines steering wheel, Sextons Audio
Anders_R35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2015, 10:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
R35Audio is an R35 GTR Audio Specialist
GTR Register Trader

Cars owned: Nissan GTR, Supra TT, 2 x M3 Cab, 335d
Glad to see you back in the game Andy. I can also vouch for Riverside Racing. I've met him and had some work done there in the past and is he is a knowledgeable and nice guy to deal with and not a sniff of GTR tax.

:
:
:
:
:

Hertz / Audison Authorised Reseller : DIY and Professional Fit Options : No GTR tax : UK Based and International Shipping Welcome

, see me in the
Section or

I am a sponsor of the GTR Register!
R35Audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2015, 10:33 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Ferodo DS2500 front and back, I've found that you have to get a load of heat into them on the road before they start to really kick in , then a few miles on the motorway and they lose heat quick.. .. maybe i need some with much better cold bite.. good thing they dont squeak tho
Funny you say that as the more track orientated the pad the more heat you need in them to get them working. I thought the 2500s were a road pad?

I've e used pretty much every pad available for the R35 and if I'm honest there's been only the PF .01 pads which had good all round initial bite. Just a shame they screw your alloys and squeal like a pig being forced down a drainpipe.

Tomei Poncams
Russ Fellows Zorst
Litchfield Superstock IC
Racing Brake BBK
SSP trans cooler
Nismo cluster
Litcho handling
TTE7XX turbos = ???bhp

Old 10th March 2015, 10:35 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Funny you say that as the more track orientated the pad the more heat you need in them to get them working. I thought the 2500s were a road pad?
I've e used pretty much every pad available for the R35 and if I'm honest there's been only the PF .01 pads which had good all round initial bite. Just a shame they screw your alloys and squeal like a pig being forced down a drainpipe.
I thought they were primary a road pad as well.. maybe its just me, but I have had them on six months, and still feel the same about them.. I need some with good cold bite, no fade and NO squeal! lol I dont want much eh.