1997 GTR RB26DETT Y-pipe issue - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GTR Owners Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GTR Owners Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Turbos
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By R32 Combat

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15th May 2016, 06:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
dunnman99 is Chill'in
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: 97 R33 Vspec
1997 GTR RB26DETT Y-pipe issue

Sorry no pics while it was up, so frustrated didn't have time.

I installed the SS OBX equal length exhaust manifolds followed by the OBX dump pipes and got onto the y-pipe.

The front Y-pipe seems to have the wrong bend in it and comes up a bit off and will not bolt up no matter what is done. A buddy has a similar y-pipe with the flex joint in it so we tried his with no love. We then went to a race only y-pipe but the pipe diameter was all off.

I am now going to have to bring it in to an exhaust shop to have them cut the y-pipe and re-weld the end at the correct angle. Anyone else run into this?

I should have probably bought the y-pipe and dump pipe set together?

Will post pics when I have the chance.
Old 15th May 2016, 06:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Trev is Team Sheldrake Racing
GTROC Member

Cars owned: R35 GT-R
You have a downpipe, not a y-pipe dude.
Old 15th May 2016, 09:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
R32 Combat is in limbo
Skyline Section Manager

Cars owned: R33 GTR
R32 and R33 down pipes are different. If it hits the floor of the car, you have the R32 one on the R33. ( I think it's that way round)
MS33 likes this.

Old 15th May 2016, 10:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
dunnman99 is Chill'in

No problem hitting the floor, the problem i the angle of the front of the down pipe (y-pipe). Sorry my terminology is old. Down pipes (originally) are the pipes on the exit of the turbo, the y-pipe has the flex joint in it when held up in the air looks like a Y.

Now newer cars have dump pipes (yes 1997 is newer in my experience) and a connecting Y-pipe/down pipe due to the need to remove and take things apart in tight quarters. In the past the down pipe and dump pipe were all one pipe.

I do appreciate all the help. I have an R33/R34 y-pipe/down pipe. My dump pipes are specifically R33.

The front of the y-pipe/down pipe is angled off by about 10 degrees and there is a 30mm gap on the mating surfaces.
Old 16th May 2016, 10:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Niklas is going rb3026

Did you get the turbo elbows on correct or have you swapped the front and rear one?
Old 16th May 2016, 10:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
dunnman99 is Chill'in

Swapped front and rear to confirm...But..the stock y-pipe/down pipe fits perfectly, then when just fitting the aftermarket pipe the front angle is too great to mate properly.

I spoke to an exhaust shop and they are going to cut the end off and weld in a radius to make up the difference.

Right now I have the stock pipe in place to drive to the shop. I would have thought the fitment of the dump pipes were wrong or reversed, but when the stock pipe bolted up perfectly and 2 after market y-pipes had fitment issues (the same fitment issues) I knew it was the y-pipe.

I should have bought the y-pipe and dump pipes together as a set to make sure they were correct.
Old 16th May 2016, 10:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
matty32 is R32/34/35 owner ..going for the full set
GTR Register Trader

you should just buy a branded make that are known 100% to fit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Japan Office Tel -
Calls charged at UK National Rate): 0207-193-3979.
Mobile ( Japan ): +81- (0) 90-4133-3825
Fax ( Japan ): +81-(0) 47-307-4678
I am a sponsor of the GTR Register!
matty32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 11:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
dunnman99 is Chill'in

yup, matty32 I should have dumped a couple thousand dollars on bolt up parts that require no questions asked, time to fit or knowledge of welding and mechanics to bolt on...rather than piecing together hand picked parts at 1/4 the price that required time and hand craftsmanship and knowledge of my car to fit.

Sorry for the sarcasm...I love working on cars and tinkering and getting to know every bolt and nut so I can help others troubleshoot by memory and pictures in my head. I don't have the deep pockets to buy Tomei and HKS prefitted systems. I like to build my own.

I just like to socialize fitment and workmanship issues when I run into problems, just in case someone else hits snags as well.

I just moved so my welders are in transit, so I am relying on a shop to cut and weld for me right now, I would do it myself if I had my tools though.

Thanks again for the deal on the suspension...I am still working with the shipping company. They seem to keep asking the same questions every other day, and then suggesting shipment methods I suggested 4-5 emails ago, we will get there eventually...No rush, as long as it gets here I am happy.