Boost Gauge Flashing on COBB Tune - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GTR Owners Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GTR Owners Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 3rd July 2016, 11:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
-SeanS is burning petrol like there's no tomorrow!
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: 2012 Stage 4.25 GTR, 2015 Mercedes C300h AMG Line PP
Boost Gauge Flashing on COBB Tune

Car is running a stage 4.25 and under WOT in 3rd and just into 4th gear I've had the boost gauge flashing at me. After reading up it seems that this means the system is detecting knock?

I'm not currently aware if the map is an off-the-shelf COBB tune or if it has been custom mapped as I wasn't provided with the AP. I know people will say I need to get it custom mapped for peace of mind, which I will do now following previous discussions, but is this something that happens on all levels of tunes and how much of a concern is it?

Thanks
Old 3rd July 2016, 12:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Stealth69 is missing the GT-R, damn you Winter!

It only happens on all levels of tune if the car isn't mapped optimally mate! It is a concern, whilst the car has detect knock and it will pull timing accordingly (should do anyway)to protect itself, if it hits a huge amount of det it could be too late for the car to pull timing and you end up with a gigantic bill!

It shouldn't "keep" doing it if the car has pulled the timing really...... I'd not drive it hard until you've had the mapped looked at
Old 3rd July 2016, 02:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
terry lloyd is unaware they can edit their status

It will probably not be a OTS map as cobb only goes to stage 3 ( i am using that with zero knock ) - either way if you press cancel on the cruise then toggle down you will lower the boost (try that ) it should cure it - you will be down on power - if you do not have the accessport you cannot remap it without a new accessport - i would then switch to ecutek as the support is much better over here

Just to add you are using 99octane fuel ?

Last edited by terry lloyd; 3rd July 2016 at 02:18 PM..
terry lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2016, 05:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth69 View Post
It only happens on all levels of tune if the car isn't mapped optimally mate! It is a concern, whilst the car has detect knock and it will pull timing accordingly (should do anyway)to protect itself, if it hits a huge amount of det it could be too late for the car to pull timing and you end up with a gigantic bill!

It shouldn't "keep" doing it if the car has pulled the timing really...... I'd not drive it hard until you've had the mapped looked at
Thanks, I'll get it booked in. Be interesting to see before and after on the power if I switch to Ecutek.
Old 4th July 2016, 05:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry lloyd View Post
It will probably not be a OTS map as cobb only goes to stage 3 ( i am using that with zero knock ) - either way if you press cancel on the cruise then toggle down you will lower the boost (try that ) it should cure it - you will be down on power - if you do not have the accessport you cannot remap it without a new accessport - i would then switch to ecutek as the support is much better over here

Just to add you are using 99octane fuel ?
Yes only using Shell V Power, found it odd that on the fuel cap it says 100 Octane fuel, yet the highest we can get is 99 apart from the race fuel that BP do?

Interesting about OTS maps only going to Stage 3, is that definitely correct? I've done a couple of pulls and not had the knock sensor flashing again on the highest boost setting so unsure what may have caused it.
Old 5th July 2016, 08:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
charles charlie is Running his engine in...
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Cars owned: E36 M3 Evo, Mini Cooper S, 996 Boxster S, Caterham Super 7, Merc Tractor :(
Fuel quality can be variable in warmer months and v-power sits in garages for longer.

A standard GTR will pull timing quite regularly so a bit here and there isn't a drama if it's a small amount.

Worth logging a pull in 3rd and seeing the trims and timing values

Engine forged by Riverside Racing
Capricorn pistons Arrow rods
Tomei Poncams
Russ Fellows Zorst
Litchfield Superstock IC
Racing Brake BBK
SSP trans cooler
2015 interior/alloys/nav upgraded
Nismo cluster
Litcho handling
DBA front + Varis CF bonnet
TTE7XX turbos = ???bhp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
charles charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2016, 04:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles charlie View Post
Fuel quality can be variable in warmer months and v-power sits in garages for longer.

A standard GTR will pull timing quite regularly so a bit here and there isn't a drama if it's a small amount.

Worth logging a pull in 3rd and seeing the trims and timing values
Thanks, if I go for a spin it pretty much happens at least once at some point which I would assume is more than normal?

Interesting point re V-Power being sat for longer, does this impact it's RON rating? Just out of interest is there much difference between V-Power and Tesco Momentum for example, what do you use?
Old 9th July 2016, 07:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Stealth69 is missing the GT-R, damn you Winter!

The octane rating between the two is the same so in term of performance it will be the same, it's all the other gunk they mix with it that will be different like cleaners and what not. I use v-power most of the time but that's just convinience as its around the corner from my house...... In my old house tesco was just around the corner so always used tesco 99 (yes I am a lazy arse)

It shouldn't happen everytime you take the car out, that how stuff blows up!