Boost issue Cant get car to boost higher than 9-10psi - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GTR Owners Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GTR Owners Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Tuning: General
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20th March 2017, 02:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
jmk005 is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

Boost issue Cant get car to boost higher than 9-10psi

Hey guys I am having a problem. I'll give you my setup.

1990 Nissan Skyline GTR
HKS EVC 4
HKS F-Con fuel management system
Brand New R33 turbos rebuilt and rated at 50psi
Aluminum radiator
Up rated inter-cooler
Up rated MAF's that can handle 600+ HP

Issue: The car was boosting at around 9 psi (.62 bar), I decided I wanted to up the boost to around 20 psi (1.7 bar) . I reset the EVC and used their manual to set my boost pressures and the lot. I have been fiddling with it all week and despite my best efforts, I cannot get the car to boost about .6 bar. I have the EVC set at 2 bar and I've tried messing with the offsets in every way I can think of. Is there some magic trick to this? The car feels like it is running no more than 300 HP. I've had a mechanic check for vacuum leaks, there are non. Car has had a thorough inspection. Everything mechanically is perfect. Thank you guys.

Last edited by jmk005; 20th March 2017 at 02:08 AM..
jmk005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 02:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
kenecchi is driving a fake GTR
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

It almost sounds like the stock boost restrictor hasn't been removed.
For GT-R owners that may not know. - Nissan Forum | Nissan Forums
Old 20th March 2017, 02:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

That's the thing, I've also checked that hose coming off the hks equipment and it doesn't have that restrictor in it.

Old 20th March 2017, 08:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Skyrel is aware they can edit their status

Has it ever worked on the car? If not it could be a poor connection, faulty wiring or the solenoid itselfe could be dead.

More likely though if the EVC4 is the same as mine (5 or 6 not sure), then you need to set the wastegate pressure correct or the controller will not try to adjust the boost. If your WG pressure is .6 bar, you need to set the WG pressure in the controller to .6 or lower. If not the controller will never start adjusting the pressure as it "waits" for the pressure to rise near WG pressure before it starts closing the solenoid. So if you have set that parameter to 1.7 bar it will not work.
Old 20th March 2017, 03:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

That definitely could be the issue. These are the settings for the car.
Stock boost: .6
Stock boost plus: .8
High Boost: 1.7
Low boost: .6
Offset High: 150
Offset Low: 120
Scramble: .1
Scramble duration: 10 seconds
Warning pressure: 1.7

I've tried messing with the high and low boost settings along with the offsets but nothing seems to work
Old 20th March 2017, 10:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmk005 View Post
That definitely could be the issue. These are the settings for the car.
Stock boost: .6
Stock boost plus: .8
High Boost: 1.7
Low boost: .6
Offset High: 150
Offset Low: 120
Scramble: .1
Scramble duration: 10 seconds
Warning pressure: 1.7

I've tried messing with the high and low boost settings along with the offsets but nothing seems to work

Unless you get an answer from someone with better memory then me, I will go out and see what my settings are tomorrow and post it here for you to compare with. I cant remember I have a sotck boost plus, perhaps you should set both stock booost pressures to .5 and see what happens.
Old 21st March 2017, 12:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrel View Post
Unless you get an answer from someone with better memory then me, I will go out and see what my settings are tomorrow and post it here for you to compare with. I cant remember I have a sotck boost plus, perhaps you should set both stock booost pressures to .5 and see what happens.
That's probably a good idea. I'll give that a try. I really can't thank you guys for all the help. This car is an incredible piece and I'd like to explore the potential there. If it winds up being a bad stepper motor or a bad Solenoid, are there replacements y'all recommend?
Old 21st March 2017, 08:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

With your weak a** wastegates I would simply pull the hose off them and carefully see what pressure you get. I would bet they force open from backpressure at 1.2-1.5bar.
Old 21st March 2017, 04:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Skyrel, would there be a solution or a setting I can put in if the wastegates are a bit weak? I had a mechanic check them, he said they seem fun.
Old 21st March 2017, 10:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmk005 View Post
Skyrel, would there be a solution or a setting I can put in if the wastegates are a bit weak? I had a mechanic check them, he said they seem fun.

Im sorry, I never got time to see what my settings are, will try again tomorrow.

About the wastegates, if you have 0.6bar now, then that is your basepressure on the wastegates. An educated guess would be that with the hoses disconnected from the wastegates you will see a peak of about 20psi and then a massive drop of boost to redline. This is because the backpressure from the exhaust will force open your wastegates. In rare cases a 0.6bar WG may allow more than 20PSI, so if you are worried you may have fueling issues above that you should proceed with caution.

PS

The boostcontroller has no performance gain to offer you if the boost with the hoses disconnected is not adequate. Your only option then is to adjust or replace the WG.
Old 21st March 2017, 11:21 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Im sorry, I never got time to see what my settings are, will try again tomorrow.

About the wastegates, if you have 0.6bar now, then that is your basepressure on the wastegates. An educated guess would be that with the hoses disconnected from the wastegates you will see a peak of about 20psi and then a massive drop of boost to redline. This is because the backpressure from the exhaust will force open your wastegates. In rare cases a 0.6bar WG may allow more than 20PSI, so if you are worried you may have fueling issues above that you should proceed with caution.

PS

The boostcontroller has no performance gain to offer you if the boost with the hoses disconnected is not adequate. Your only option then is to adjust or replace the WG.
I think that is an incredible idea that I may try out. I just want to know if there is a better option than just disconnecting the wastegate all together. I just bought 600 cc injectors and it has a nismo fuel pump, so fuel should not be an issue. I just wanted to see if there was a setting in the electronics that could allow me to correct that or if there is an evc that could let me regulate that if that is the issue which it looks like you have given me the answer. I just remember not more than 6 months ago getting 1.5 bars out of the car and then I had a guy tune it down for the winter. I'm just now trying to boost it back up myself and I cannot get the desired pressure

Last edited by jmk005; 21st March 2017 at 11:24 PM..
jmk005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 07:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

Im sorry for the late post of my settings, but here goes:

STD max boost: 0.8bar - In your case this must be 0.6 or less as your current boost is 0.6!

Target boost: 0.8bar (not sure / cannot remember what this is, apparently it is the same as the std max boost so 0.6 bar for you!

ini offset: 95% (poor memory once again)

pressure: KPA
Exhaust type: Swing
cylinder 6
speed pulse 2
inp. speed: revolution

I think that would be the basic settings you need to check. If all is ok, you may want to scope the solenoid and / or measure its resistance.
Old 27th March 2017, 08:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Im sorry for the late post of my settings, but here goes:

STD max boost: 0.8bar - In your case this must be 0.6 or less as your current boost is 0.6!

Target boost: 0.8bar (not sure / cannot remember what this is, apparently it is the same as the std max boost so 0.6 bar for you!

ini offset: 95% (poor memory once again)

pressure: KPA
Exhaust type: Swing
cylinder 6
speed pulse 2
inp. speed: revolution

I think that would be the basic settings you need to check. If all is ok, you may want to scope the solenoid and / or measure its resistance.
Thank you so much skyrel. I have her in the shop getting all the belts redone, along with fixing a minor power steering leak but after that I'll try to set everything up again
Old 11th April 2017, 08:18 PM   #14 (permalink)

I wanted to give y'all an update. I had it in the shop to have all the belts replaced. We found a hole in the intercooler. I should have it fixed by early next week. If that doesn't solve it, I found a tuner about an hour away from me to give it a go.