NEW UK Speeding rules from 24th April 2017-READIN! 101mph 6points+-Temp ban - Page 2 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GTR Owners Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GTR Owners Club forum > General > Non-Skyline / GT-R chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20th April 2017, 11:14 PM   #21 (permalink)
Evo9lution is regressing
GTROC Member

Cars owned: Stage 4.25 R35 GT-R & Mitsi Evo IX MR FQ-360 (not standard)
Quote:
Originally Posted by git-r View Post
Thanks for that.

Very interesting.

Basically the technique the ex traffic cop told me was to hide behind a bigger vehicle as you pass the cameras so they don't see you. In theory this works but in practice may not and may also get you charged with tailgating.

Apparently he and his mates would do this without issue.
Run without a front numberplate like many Ferraris & Lambos etc. I'm sure that will work also.
V-SpecII likes this.
Old 20th April 2017, 11:14 PM   #22 (permalink)
kindai is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo9lution View Post
I'll take your word for it. Hoping to never find out either way ...
Just make sure you go too fast for them to get your plates.
Old 21st April 2017, 07:03 AM   #23 (permalink)
charles charlie is Running his engine in...
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Cars owned: E36 M3 Evo, Mini Cooper S, 996 Boxster S, Caterham Super 7, Merc Tractor :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindai View Post
See below, whats your trick?

The Home Office admitted yesterday that the hi-tech SPECS cameras - produced by Camberley-based Speed Check Services - are only approved to be used one lane at a time.
That means a three-lane motorway would require three separate sets of cameras - one for each lane. If drivers leave the speed-camera zone via a different lane to the one they entered in, they cannot normally be prosecuted.
The camera's manufacturers - Speed Check Services (SCS) - confirmed that drivers could escape prosecution by lane-hopping but discouraged it on 'safety' grounds.

But under Home Office 'type approval' rules, each individual set cannot be linked to any of the others. So cars are timed only between sets of number plate readers 'paired' for the same lane.
Most of the time each number plate reader in a pair will be directed at the same single lane of traffic and will therefore not detect lane hoppers, according to Mr Collins. He said:' If itís configured to monitor one particular lane, then it wouldnít pick up a lane changer.'

He added: 'There are configurations when (a speeding vehicle) would not be picked up, if itís gone from lane one to lane three between cameras.'
The company's technical director Graeme Southwood said that when the devices were approved by the Home Office in 1999, they passed strict tests for use in one lane at a time. But there was not enough time or finances to extend Home office approval tests to cover the cameras' use over two or three lanes at a time. This has created the loop-hole.

He still claimed - without spelling out any detail - that this loop-hole was not actually foolproof and that some of those who attempt to use it will still face a speeding prosecution.

A spokeswoman for the Home Office said: 'The manufacturers applied for the camera to be type-approved to measure one lane only. It has been type-approved for this use - this can be either the lane under the camera or a lane to either side of it.'
'A SPECS camera measures a vehicles speed over distance in one lane.'
Sorry chap but that's 10 years out of date. (2006 to be precise)

SPECS and all similar time/distance ANPR devices were fully type approved for multiple lane changes years ago.

Engine forged by Riverside Racing
Capricorn pistons Arrow rods
Tomei Poncams
Russ Fellows Zorst
Litchfield Superstock IC
Racing Brake BBK
Xtreme 12 Clutch
SSP trans cooler
2015 interior/alloys/nav upgraded
Nismo cluster
Litcho handling+suspension
DBA front + Varis CF bonnet
TTE7XX turbos = ???bhp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
charles charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 07:10 AM   #24 (permalink)
moleman is veteren Bongard Club
Real men use a H-Pattern.

This was reported in EVO ages ago. AGT Law had this to say about it ...

Quote:
This article is incredibly inaccurate. There is no minimum £100 fine. That's something he made up and the author can't spell the word licence. The important point, apparently completely missed, is that the new guidelines only apply if court proceedings are instituted.

The 36/30 example is ridiculous. 36/30 is a speed awareness course or otherwise a £100 fixed penalty and 3 points endorsement. 36/30 doesn't involve court proceedings and an income based fine - and it won't in future. The only reason 36/30 would go to court is if the accused didn't pay the £100 fixed penalty or wasn't eligible for a fixed penalty - because he has 9 or more points within 3 years of the latest offence.

The new guidelines are near identical to the existing guidelines - but only the highest category changes from Band B to Band C.

Drive at speeds up to and incuding 95/70 and the police will offer you the chance to pay a fixed penalty. Absolutely nothing to do with your income. The same applies to speeds up to and including 49/30. This is not changing.

Also, mobile phone "fines" are not increasing to £200. The fixed penalty will increase from £100 to £200.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or

Registration
For Sale. Open to good offers.
moleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 10:02 AM   #25 (permalink)
tonigmr2 is wanting a drive but is too busy

Cars owned: MR2 TC, GT86, R35GTR, Disco4
Exactly - police follow The same guidelines as before, which roughly translates to speed limit + 10% +2 mph before you are deemed as speeding, I.e. Over 35 in a 30 or over 79 in a 70. There is the odd Force (most notably in Wales) that are more draconian but the vast majority of Speed enforcement follows this.

The only thing really changing is the level of fine on those that end up in court. If I were a cynic I'd hypothesize they don't like people challenging their tickets, and the risks of doing so have now gone up financially!
Trevgtr likes this.

Girls drive GTRs too!!
tonigmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 11:21 AM   #26 (permalink)
Stealth69 is missing the GT-R, damn you Winter!

LMFAO it's all laughable really, tighten up laws on something that is governed by archaic technology, they don't seem to understand that tech has moved on and they are just targeting the ONLY road law they can force with ease the knobs!

then they add laws like "don't sit Int he outside lane", "don't use your mobile phone"...... they can't police those rules consistently, they might as well add other shit to the list like "don't get head whilst driving"!
Trev likes this.
Old 21st April 2017, 07:52 PM   #27 (permalink)
Jags is unaware they can edit their status

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonigmr2 View Post
Exactly - police follow The same guidelines as before, which roughly translates to speed limit + 10% +2 mph before you are deemed as speeding, I.e. Over 35 in a 30 or over 79 in a 70. There is the odd Force (most notably in Wales) that are more draconian but the vast majority of Speed enforcement follows this.

The only thing really changing is the level of fine on those that end up in court. If I were a cynic I'd hypothesize they don't like people challenging their tickets, and the risks of doing so have now gone up financially!
I got done for doing 32 in a 30 last year Managed to get the speed awareness course. There was a guy there who got caught doing 31 in his van on a decline- he was not best pleased lol
Old 21st April 2017, 10:13 PM   #28 (permalink)
snuffy is is well aware they can edit their status but has decided not to.
How Queer Missus

Cars owned: GT-R & Fiat 500
Quote:

The Home Office admitted yesterday...
"Yesterday". Classic internet shite.
ACSpeedtech EcuTek RaceRom 4

snuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2017, 11:32 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy View Post
"Yesterday". Classic internet shite.

When the article was posted it probably was "yesterday".
Old 22nd April 2017, 02:04 AM   #30 (permalink)
matt j is unaware they can edit their status
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

It just looks like another working class stealth tax to me.
Old 22nd April 2017, 08:01 PM   #31 (permalink)
james_barker is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_A View Post
Not sure if they trialed this at the end of last year. But the camera's on my commute on the M25 we going batshit crazy at people only appearing to do around 75mph. Somebody I know of who works in the local court, said they had to turn the cameras back off or at least up as they had so many people to process they couldn't handle it.

Personally I think I am going to go for another 200bhp in the hope that I cannot be caught!
I've been done on the new m25 cameras. Not only do they have very little tolerance, they also seem to have taken to pointless and very sudden variable speed limits. Early just finding people for the fine revenues.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old Today, 11:22 AM   #32 (permalink)
Chronos is ripping up the tarmac with Godzilla

Cars owned: R35 Black Edition
and it's gone live folks!

Tougher fines to punish speeding motorists come into effect

Motoring groups have welcomed tougher new punishments for the most serious speeding offences.

Drivers caught excessively exceeding legal limits will now be hit with harsher penalties in England and Wales.

Magistrates will be empowered to fine motorists caught doing 51mph in a 30mph zone, or 101mph on a motorway, 150% of their weekly income rather than the previous level of 100
Ooooh Matron!
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:35 AM   #33 (permalink)

How does the new system affect fixed penalties? I assume they won't know your income unless you end up in court...

Old Today, 11:50 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_barker View Post
How does the new system affect fixed penalties? I assume they won't know your income unless you end up in court...

Nope
Old Today, 12:12 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Nope
So on that basis, unless you're on minimum wage (we all own GTR so assuming that this isn't the case) it should be seriously discouraged from contesting it in court.

Old Today, 01:16 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jags View Post
I got done for doing 32 in a 30 last year Managed to get the speed awareness course. There was a guy there who got caught doing 31 in his van on a decline- he was not best pleased lol
There are a couple of areas that have gone very draconian, 31 and 32 is extreme though, sure it wasn't in a 20? I'd have challenged that myself!

Girls drive GTRs too!!
Old Today, 01:53 PM   #37 (permalink)
Miguel - Newera is surrounded by GT-R's.
GTR Register Trader

Cars owned: Techno Pro AE86, 280 bhp E30 M3, 500 bhp Knight Sports RX-7, Prelude S BB6-2010 Ebisu Endurance Champion. RC51 VTR SP2 - Tuned.
Best way to avoid getting caught speeding in the UK....

Don't live there.
Trevgtr and Chronos like this.
Old Today, 02:21 PM   #38 (permalink)
Trevgtr is eating tyres and drinking 99ron, expensive diet, rapidly approaching 100k miles in R35's
GTROC Member

In my town there's been 5 overnight break-ins to highstreet shops, which had rocks thrown through their windows and cigarettes stolen, happening around 3am, that's 5 in a month in the sleepy little town of Burnham on Sea. The thieves realise that there's no police around so just keep coming back for more.

Meanwhile, the next morning there will be a police speed camera van parked on one of the 3 main roads that enter the town. We get targeted hard here in Somerset, the vans are all over the place, sitting on roads where the safe average flow of traffic is above the dumbed down limit, i.e. the dumbed down speed limit is below the tried and tested 85th percentile speed for that road. There's something very wrong when people who are driving at a safe average speed for the road are being nicked all day long.

Bottom line - police have resources to place vans on our roads, but have no resources to deter the serious weekly town centre crime. Motorists are easy pickings and a cash cow, it is true.
Chronos likes this.
Old Today, 02:56 PM   #39 (permalink)

Except a lot of enforcement nowadays are partnerships, and the police don't get to keep the money either so they're not incentivised to 'make more money'.

Girls drive GTRs too!!
Old Today, 03:02 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jags View Post
Eh?

You could of easily had that thrown out as most equipment has a +/- 2mph variance...