Any bikers here? - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GTR Owners Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GTR Owners Club forum > General > Chatter
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 6th June 2017, 11:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Gtrt90 is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

Any bikers here?

Are any of you guys into / have bikes?

I passed my full test 5 years ago but have never got around to buying one. Im in the market now but im unsure on what to go for.

Ideally it would be a sports bike, 600cc max. Ive been looking along the lines of a cbr as ive been told they are very reliable. What other options would be good for a first bike? GSXR? Sv?
Old 6th June 2017, 11:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
BushyBoy is The Original Do-Luck Supra Owning
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: The Do-Luck Supra
Passed 2 years ago.

Had a 125 Derbi for 2 weeks then moved to a GSXR 600. Been great so far.
Old 6th June 2017, 11:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

What year have you got bushyboy? Ive been looking at a few around 08/09 k8 i believe? Off to have a look and a ride on a zx-6r tonight

Old 6th June 2017, 11:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
integra is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

CBR 600F not RR is very good all rounder....
Old 6th June 2017, 11:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

RR Is the twin exhausts under the seats correct? I actually prefer the look of them, but after doing a bit of research it seems they are more track orientated. Im not looking for anything majorly fast as it will be my first bike. CBR's seem relatively cheap to pick up too in comparison to GSXRs
Old 6th June 2017, 12:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
e8_pack is Chav Hunter

Hey any bike you like, you only go as fast as you pull the throttle. Bigger bike might be easier as it's more torquey.

I've got this screamer:

Miguel - Newera, NITO and Jay46 like this.
Old 6th June 2017, 12:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
NITO is officially out of the Skyline scene!
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Cars owned: CLS63S AMG Shooting Brake
Biker checking in.

If it's sports bikes of 600cc max then you're pretty much looking at the Japanese big four;

Honda CBR600
Kawasaki ZX6R
Yamaha R6
Suzuki GSXR600

Is the 600cc max because you're trying to keep rfl costs down?

All of the above span at least a couple of decades or more so plenty of choice.

Best bit is to have a sit on all of them in the first instance and see how you feel.

Personally I quite like 750's.
e8_pack likes this.
Old 6th June 2017, 12:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Not so much to keep costs down. When pricing insurance, theres not much difference between a 600 and a 750. I just thought as it will be my first, ill stay relatively low.
Old 6th June 2017, 12:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
e8_pack is Chav Hunter

Nice, is that a later model RR would like a mint J1, just for the retro looks!
NITO likes this.
Old 6th June 2017, 01:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

It is the homologation R, an M1 which was designated ZXR750R. (The hoover pipes disappeared on the L1 models onwards which gained the single scooop ramair and lost the earlier hoover pipes, the J1 being the new shape with (dummy ramair) hoover pipes and the K1 was the homologation version with the hoover pipes.)
The M1 was actually the base bike that Scott Russell gave Kawasaki their first world title with when he won the riders championship in 1993.

RR was actually the all new ZX7-R homologation version, which was labelled a ZX7RR, different bike altogether, it was the successor to the ZXR series.

Gtrt90,
750's aren't intimidating to ride, they're really well balanced imho, litre bikes on the other hand, well my other bike is a V-Twin Tuono R and it's a bit of an animal by comparison, not necessarily because of it's outright power but the way it delivers it and the nature of the bike. (I couldn't recommend one as a first bike!) the later litre bikes of course all have electronics to keep things in check and so they need to with the power the latest ones are churning out, close to 200bhp!

I only mention the 750's as it opens things up a bit more, the Kawasaki ZXR's, Suzuki GSXR's and Yamaha YZF's not to mention the ZX7R's can all be had for reasonable money and look that much beefier (and physically that much broader) and more purposeful in their execution, a lot of the earlier 600's (100bhp ish) are more comfort orientated than sportsbike (built when the 750's were all the rage) but that might be what you're after.

The later 600's seem to have become more sports focused which I guess has coincided with the demise of the larger 750's and of course now they are packing the same or more power the 750's had. There is also the later Triumph 675 Daytona to consider and you don't mention budget but the likes of the MV F3 675 at the higher end. Lots of earlier Ducati's as well if that's your thing.
Miguel - Newera and e8_pack like this.

Last edited by NITO; 6th June 2017 at 01:12 PM..
NITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2017, 03:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Miguel - Newera is surrounded by GT-R's.
GTR Register Trader

Cars owned: Techno Pro AE86, 280 bhp E30 M3, 500 bhp Knight Sports RX-7, Prelude S BB6-2010 Ebisu Endurance Champion. RC51 VTR SP2 - Tuned.
Been riding for 35 years now, but I started before my voice broke, LOL....

A word of warning: I've seen new riders have horrific accidents from getting on bikes that were too powerful to begin with. Stuff like point fixation, panic when something comes at a beginner fast (Like a corner) and they freeze, or brake, etc.

A 600 may seem OK, but it won't teach you confidence in the same way as starting on a smaller bike first, will...
You may be best off long term buying a smallish light trials bike and thrashing the pants off that for a year or so. Go off road and have lots of fun slipping & sliding around, but you'll learn in slow motion and safely what happens & what to do when the front slides out, for example - what do to when the rear loses traction, etc. Saved my bacon a few times when brakes locked the front wheel on the road over the years. So I'm making sure my kids start really young and take them riding a little dirt bike on the beach... Remember most racers learnt & continue to train off-road.

If you ONLY want to learn to ride on the road but still want to learn stuff like braking very hard, cornering at a lot of lean with confidence, wheelies, etc, then get something really light, single cylinder & made for taking liberties with (more fun than a sports bike except motorways). Supermotos are awesome fun. So much it should be illegal! Having bought one, I'll never be without a motard again.

Then once you feel you learnt enough and really want more speed, get your CBR or something else. You can't learn the useful skills possible off road - on a road... Make a mistake there and you'll hit tarmac at best, or at worst something solid like a concrete wall or a guard rail, then there's cars that can hit you!

Not least if you buy a first bike with a fairing, you WILL damage it because you'll either drop it at slow speed, or it'll fall off its side stand, or worse. Another reason for the first year having a trialie or a motard, is a better bet.

As for good quality faired bikes for when you want something faster, fun but not necessarily a track oriented peaky 600cc bike here's a suggestion:

I bought a VFR750 a couple of weeks ago for £1,400 to keep in the UK with a friend for when I visit (my 2nd one - 1st, which is with me in JP now, I've had since 1993).

Great all round bikes and super reliable. Whether you fancy something to commute on, tour across Europe (also comfortable for pillions), or go riding with your mates, it'll do it all. They last forever if looked after, but worth hunting out a minter. There's lots of them on the market this time of year (They just don't die like other bikes - Honda vastly over engineered these because of huge cam problems with the 80's VF750 predecessor).

Choosing between one of these or a modern CBR600F which although a decent bike, for something which won't depreciate, is fun to ride & always easy to sell, I'd go for a VFR... Only things to watch out for are corrosion to exhaust (high level left exit stainless exhaust is coming soon from Tyga Performance along with a lot of other tuning bits), worn suspension (sorting that with Maxton stuff transforms the handling into something more confidence inspiring altogether) and rough bodywork (parts are mostly NLA but there are after-market FRP panels of good quality - as lots of these were sold in the 90's (was considered the best all round bike for about an 8 year span).

My older VFR750 Pro Arm:

My recently picked up one that'll get improved with better brakes & exhaust, etc:

Things like gear driven cams are nice touches. The 750 V4 engine makes a great sound, produces only around 100 bhp, but it'll sit at 145 mph all day long, whilst having torque throughout the entire rev range, which will make most 600 sportsbikes feel gutless in the first half of it's rev range.
Both mine above have about 70,000 miles each. These engines will do as much as 400,000 miles if serviced regularly. An if the worst should happen and you smash the plastics, don't worry.... Tyga Performance are about to release an RC30 replica kit which works well with the later (1994-1997) frames, since they're almost identical. Turn it into an RC30 project bike.

https://www.facebook.com/Rc30-projec...MELINE&fref=nf

An older VFR like these has way more potential than a newer CBR600F... If you do want a CBR600F though, I think my colleague's brother has one he hasn't used in a few years & wants to sell, or did a few months ago...
NITO and Jay46 like this.

Last edited by Miguel - Newera; 6th June 2017 at 03:34 PM..
Miguel - Newera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2017, 03:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
GTR Register Trader

Cars owned: Techno Pro AE86, 280 bhp E30 M3, 500 bhp Knight Sports RX-7, Prelude S BB6-2010 Ebisu Endurance Champion. RC51 VTR SP2 - Tuned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NITO View Post
my other bike is a V-Twin Tuono R and it's a bit of an animal by comparison, not necessarily because of it's outright power but the way it delivers it and the nature of the bike.
Mine's not a dissimilar choice to your's in nature, but yep neither are ideal first bikes by any stretch.

NITO and terry lloyd like this.
Old 6th June 2017, 04:38 PM   #13 (permalink)

Lol,

I made my return to biking on that Tuono, previous bike was a 2 stroke with very little compression, so the low down torque of the V-twin coupled with massive engine braking felt quite alien. Not helped by a previous owner who had lowered the fully adjustable suspension out of tolerance and the thing was pawing for the air at the slightest application of throttle!

I really didn't enjoy the first ride out, resetting the suspension and buying a book on handling transformed it for me and learnt a lot about bike setup in the process.

You'll appreciate this one I think Miguel, it's the full power version 90bhp, destined for the Aus market with it's larger 18" rear wheel (better choice of Race rubber at the time, came third in Bathurst 6hr endurance race '84) , cams etc. Only 25 of the full power models came to the UK after a logistical **** up meant they were orphaned at the Japanese port missing the boat to Australia so Heron Suzuki took them in. The Suzuki GSX750 SE Katana pop up was never originally destined for the UK market. 50 more subsequently arrived when the initial batch sold out but all Suzuki japan had left were the restricted jdm spec bikes with 17" rear wheel and other differences.

This was the first bike I fell in love with from the Tamiya catalogue circa 1985/6

The VFR750 you mention, was always a favourite with all the motorcycle training instructors, for good reason!

Last edited by NITO; 6th June 2017 at 04:41 PM..
NITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2017, 04:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
GTR Register Trader

Katanas are collectible in Japan nowadays too.

2-strokes fetch crazy money when they're desirable here now too. I have an MC21 NSR250 with MC28 frame, fully restored Repsol bodywork, and a lot of other bits collected & stored in boxes. Maybe this year I'll finally get around to building it.
Have fond memories of taking a new Aprilia RS250 out for a day's road test and not wanting to return it, some 23 or so years ago... The memories still linger I guess, though I've kinda tried to forget the many times I seized my first 2-stroke. Almost put me off them for life... Almost!
NITO likes this.
Old 6th June 2017, 04:55 PM   #15 (permalink)

The RS250 Mk1 will be my next purchase and the only bike I really need to finish off my collection of prime favourites. I'm all spent out this year, pity because I found a stunning mint Chesterfield in Italy a couple of months ago
Miguel - Newera likes this.
Old 6th June 2017, 11:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
GTR Register Trader

I couldn't buy mint originals like that. Every original machine I really like I take them apart into little pieces and modify. I find it's better to start with a cheaper rough diamond and polish till it's perfect.

There's a fair few Ape RS250's in Japan. Honda are easier to get parts for though, hence my choice with similar brethen.
NITO likes this.
Old 7th June 2017, 06:10 AM   #17 (permalink)
e8_pack is Chav Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NITO View Post
The RS250 Mk1 will be my next purchase and the only bike I really need to finish off my collection of prime favourites. I'm all spent out this year, pity because I found a stunning mint Chesterfield in Italy a couple of months ago
Will only go up now. NSRs are going nuts (21&28)
NITO likes this.
Old 7th June 2017, 07:18 AM   #18 (permalink)
Jay46 is one hell of a dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel - Newera View Post

My older VFR750 Pro Arm:

My recently picked up one that'll get improved with better brakes & exhaust, etc:

Things like gear driven cams are nice touches. The 750 V4 engine makes a great sound, produces only around 100 bhp, but it'll sit at 145 mph all day long, whilst having torque throughout the entire rev range, which will make most 600 sportsbikes feel gutless in the first half of it's rev range.
Both mine above have about 70,000 miles each. These engines will do as much as 400,000 miles if serviced regularly. An if the worst should happen and you smash the plastics, don't worry.... Tyga Performance are about to release an RC30 replica kit which works well with the later (1994-1997) frames, since they're almost identical. Turn it into an RC30 project bike.

https://www.facebook.com/Rc30-projec...MELINE&fref=nf

An older VFR like these has way more potential than a newer CBR600F... If you do want a CBR600F though, I think my colleague's brother has one he hasn't used in a few years & wants to sell, or did a few months ago...
Any more info on the RC30 rep kit? That sounds very interesting! Alwys loved the V4s!

A CBR600F would be a great first 600, the newer RR isnt as comfy or usable and very hardcore. The lads are right though about faired bikes, you WILL drop it being your first bike and fairings are bloody expensive. A supermoto would be a great choice if its shorter journeys/urban riding but they don't like longer rides too much. Ive been through more bikes than I can remember over the last 20 years riding since my 16th birthday and have tried them all. Its hard to beat a CBR600F for all round friendliness!
Another one we had in our garage recently and I spent a bit of time on was the Yamaha MT-07, what a great bike! Would be right up your street!

Here's my latest street bike and my race bike for this season....

Miguel - Newera and NITO like this.
Old 7th June 2017, 09:13 AM   #19 (permalink)

Thanks for all the brilliant replies eveyone. I notice alot of you are saying to start off on a smaller bike and have some practice off road. I did fail to mention ive been riding trial bikes the best part of my life and used to race on the odd weekend, so im not completley new to 2 wheels!

Anyway, after going to look at the zx-6r last night, the shop allowed me to take it out for an hour or two, to have a good test ride. Apart from rear brake feeling a bit spongey, which they are now going to change, it felt perfect. So i went and bought it picking it up on Friday! So i will get a few pictures up then!
NITO, integra and e8_pack like this.
Old 7th June 2017, 09:41 AM   #20 (permalink)

Good stuff, nice choice, I've always been a fan of Kawasaki's over the rest of the Japanese offerings

What model year did you get?

ps. We're going to need to see pics obviously

Cheers
Nito