I know it's political but can we discuss the GE, just for today? - Page 7 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GTR Owners Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GTR Owners Club forum > General > Non-Skyline / GT-R chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree97Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12th June 2017, 12:24 PM   #121 (permalink)
tonigmr2 is wanting a drive but is too busy

Cars owned: MR2 TC, GT86, R35GTR, Disco4
She had to bring back Gove. She's got to pander to all parts of the party now, she needs every vote.

I think a new election in 12 months is possible.

Girls drive GTRs too!!
Old 12th June 2017, 04:00 PM   #122 (permalink)
Adamantium is apparently poisonous to Wolverine - who knew?
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Cars owned: Audi Q5 3.0TDi quattro S-Line Plus S-Tronic, Audi A5 3.0 TDi quattro Cabriolet S-Line S-Tronic
So long as it's far enough away for everyone to be reminded of how bad Corbyn would be.
sparkso likes this.

Old 12th June 2017, 05:40 PM   #123 (permalink)
Trevgtr is eating tyres and drinking 99ron, expensive diet, rapidly approaching 100k miles in R35's
GTROC Member

This reminds me of how much we look at the leader rather than the policies. The puppet in charge shouldn't really make any difference to how we vote, but it does hugely.
misters3 likes this.

Old 13th June 2017, 09:42 AM   #124 (permalink)
Adamantium is apparently poisonous to Wolverine - who knew?
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Cars owned: Audi Q5 3.0TDi quattro S-Line Plus S-Tronic, Audi A5 3.0 TDi quattro Cabriolet S-Line S-Tronic
The puppet in charge, in this case a left wing, marxist activist who only a few months ago was completely shunned by his parliamentary party is the guy who decides which of the suggestions proposed to run with.

He appoints the chancellor who ruined the finances of the GLA and is all in favour of promising everything most people ask for, without pragmatic consideration of the long term consequences.

People are fed up with austerity, I can understand that, but the solution is to cut less deep and wait it out longer, borrowing much more is not going to immediately result in so much growth that the tax revenue climbs to the point that it doesn't matter.

6% of all revenue already goes on interest, we borrow more then that becomes compound interest which will increase exponentially until we earn more than we spend. That requires a drastic turnaround in growth and productivity, right when brexit will be damaging both of those things!

http://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/uk...ding_pie_chart
lightspeed likes this.

Last edited by Adamantium; 13th June 2017 at 09:45 AM..
Old 13th June 2017, 06:24 PM   #125 (permalink)
R34GTRvspec2nur is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

Labour has staged one of the most spectacular comebacks in British political history. Polling at just 24% when the election was called, in seven weeks Labour has rocketed in the polls, gained 32 seats and made striking inroads into Conservative heartlands.

Jeremy Corbyn’s principled, transformational programme achieved the unprecedented. People of all ages were inspired. Thousands came to hear him speak. Record numbers registered to vote. Chants of “Oh, Jeremy Corbyn” erupted at festivals, sporting events and clubs across the country.

The hope that had already experienced by the Labour membership began to percolate into wider society. And people liked what they saw.

Proposing a transformational manifesto mattered. Corbyn’s warmth and authenticity resonated. Labour’s energetic, front-footed campaign was key. A savvy use of social media, by the Labour party and Momentum, mobilised young voters to turn out and snatch seats such as Sheffield Hallam and Canterbury.

But what is often overlooked – and constitutes the beating heart of the Corbyn project – is the flourishing, vibrant movement of ordinary people who flooded into marginals and had millions of conversations on the doorstep.

At Momentum, this was our focus. On a shoestring budget we mobilised far beyond our 24,000 members. By running a nimble, creative campaign with a youthful staff we connected with those who were new to the Labour party, new to campaigning and often new to politics. We gave people confidence. We lowered the barriers to getting involved. We made canvassing more accessible.

How did we do it? Over the election we ran 50 campaign weekends that mobilised tens of thousands of activists to knock on doors in key marginal seats. Our Bernie Sanders organisers trained thousands of activists across the country in how to have authentic, empathetic conversations that went beyond data collection.

My Nearest Marginal, our online marginals map that made it easy to find your closest Labour battleground, became a key tool in directing activists to strategic constituencies and was used by more than 100,000 people across the party. On election day, nearly 10,000 Momentum activists pledged to take the day off work and knocked on more than 1.2m doors to make sure Labour voters cast their ballot.

The story of this election is that ordinary people have redrawn the electoral map. Seats such as Battersea and Sheffield Hallam, deemed by regional Labour parties as unwinnable, were won by members going out on the doors anyway because they believed they could win. Victories in Leeds North West, Crewe & Nantwich, Croydon Central, Derby North, Brighton Kemptown and many more can be attributed to this same effect. Ordinary people flooding the doorstep talking about policies that resonate.

Academics have long known the importance of ground game. But in an era where many mistrust the media, face-to-face conversations that speak to the issues people care about only become more crucial. And on election day, when making sure Labour supporters actually turnout to vote, hundreds of people pounding the pavement can (and did) make all the difference.

At Momentum, we’re going to continue on a permanent campaign footing. With an election in the next six months likely, we’re going to ramp up our activity in newly marginal seats and embed the Labour party in communities outside of election time.

We really do live in an incredible moment. The sense of possibility is palpable, and I can only feel the urgency of our movement is intensifying. We’ve already caused one of the biggest political upsets in British history. And I’m confident we’ll see a Corbyn-led Labour government in less than 12 months. This is the new political reality. And I can only describe it as thrilling.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...orbyn-momentum
zed1 likes this.
Old 13th June 2017, 07:31 PM   #126 (permalink)
tonigmr2 is wanting a drive but is too busy

Cars owned: MR2 TC, GT86, R35GTR, Disco4
Thrilling or chilling!
lightspeed and tarmac terror like this.

Girls drive GTRs too!!
Old 13th June 2017, 07:44 PM   #127 (permalink)

Labour are surging in the polls (this is from Survation who were the most accurate pollsters in run up to June 8th)

Old 13th June 2017, 07:50 PM   #128 (permalink)

If Labour are to capitalise on their opportunity, they need to influence everyone they can and put pressure everywhere they can to produce a fresh GE call before the recess.

Otherwise the momentum will be somewhat lost IMO.

Thornberry has stated today that if another nationwide ballot were taken today that Labour would win outright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjeOZe6XiNA

Jeremy Corbyn trolling Theresa May "Labour is ready to offer “strong and stable leadership in the national interest” if Theresa May fails to form a “coalition of chaos” with the DUP"
zed1 likes this.

Last edited by R34GTRvspec2nur; 13th June 2017 at 07:54 PM..
Old 13th June 2017, 08:08 PM   #129 (permalink)
Mookistar is a lover of steak but fed up with Beef
Site Admin.

Cars owned: Mookiwagen Passat and R33 GTR
Labours come back is an illusion. People voted against the Tories, not 'for Labour'.

If Tory policy is changed to reflect the publics mood then that labour 'surge' will turn out to be little more that a blip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

View my Garage -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- then set up your own!

Now on Facebook -
Old 14th June 2017, 01:04 AM   #130 (permalink)
Trevgtr is eating tyres and drinking 99ron, expensive diet, rapidly approaching 100k miles in R35's
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookistar View Post
Labours come back is an illusion. People voted against the Tories, not 'for Labour'.

If Tory policy is changed to reflect the publics mood then that labour 'surge' will turn out to be little more that a blip.
Absolutely spot on IMO. Of course the Guardian are going to spin it, but in reality I think the result was mostly due to bitter remainers (and I mean more bitter than sour vinegar) needing to send Theresa a message. They are bitter on the same humongous scale as the Clinton loving Democrats losing to President Trump IMO.

I have friends who are life long Tory voters that openly say they voted LibDem or Labour. They are bitter remainers. I bet there was huge numbers of them around the country, and I bet they shocked themselves when they saw the result. Be careful what you wish for haha! They won't be so silly next time, will they?
lightspeed, tarmac terror and NITO like this.
Old 16th June 2017, 05:50 PM   #131 (permalink)

Grenfell Tower fire: Theresa May leaves church by side door surrounded by protesters chanting 'coward'

Grenfell Tower fire: Theresa May leaves church by side door surrounded by protesters chanting 'coward' | The Independent

That tomb in the sky will be forever Theresa May’s monument. Grenfell marks the spot and her visit marks the moment the last vestiges of her career were finally rubbed out. She made it her own yesterday by that fateful “visit” to a handful of senior fire officers, guarding her from any contaminating contact with the bereaved and newly homeless. Dead to emotion or empathy, she sealed her fate.
https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ameron-osborne

Despecible
Bennyboy1984 and zed1 like this.
Old 16th June 2017, 07:01 PM   #132 (permalink)
twobadmice is loving the banter on here
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Theresa May is a joke. I think there are lots of people on here mistaken by the Tory unpopularity! I think Labour would be the only credible government right now.
Latimer Road has really shown how out of touch toxic Theresa is.
I think another GE would see the Torys destroyed in London.
Old 16th June 2017, 08:20 PM   #133 (permalink)
Site Admin.

I think this thread is done

View my Garage -

- then set up your own!

Now on Facebook -
Old 18th June 2017, 11:08 AM   #134 (permalink)
Site Admin.

Just to clarify. This thread was locked because the election is over and it was turning into A political debate which as we know will never end well. Using the tragedy in Kensington as a political stick with which to beat the drum is the step upon which I knew the thread was done. I imagine e plenty of people will assume it was locked for other reasons but whatever you suspect, it's closed.

Back to the status quo

Mike
nick the tubman likes this.

View my Garage -

- then set up your own!

Now on Facebook -
Closed Thread