who's using an uprated/non OEM alternator? - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan Skyline Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13th July 2008, 03:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
kismetcapitan is like trees in November...
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: BNR32 (RIP), Audi RS6, Ducati 1299S Panigale, Ducati Multistrada Granturismo
who's using an uprated/non OEM alternator?

my car is getting a new alternator sourced from a Hyundai parts place - fits with minimal bracket mods, and is rated at 130 amps. I wanted a little more, but that's all I could get without paying big bucks for a alternator designed for stereo competition (200+ amp monsters).

The stock alternator is probably worn out quite a bit, plus it's rated at what, 85 amps? With A/C on, the electric A/C on, and stereo (which draws over 80 amps on peak hits by itself), I've run out of power while stuck in traffic.

Anyone else upgrade their alternator to get lots of juice going in their electrical systems?

Just in case anyone didn't know (and I just recently learned), oil (which there can be a lot of in an RB26 bay) that gets into the alternator weakens and can even kill it. Furthermore, they work less efficiently when hot. Peak alternator output is generally reached around 2500-3000rpm engine speed. Past that, the regulator on the alternator limits power output.
Old 14th July 2008, 12:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
beaumackenzie is unaware they can edit their status

toyota prado, landcruiser alternator, works mint as
Old 14th July 2008, 12:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
hyrev is dog tired

Cars owned: Top Secret built R34 GT-R
does it just bolt straight in or need some modding?

Old 15th July 2008, 04:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Cars owned: BNR32 (RIP), Audi RS6, Ducati 1299S Panigale, Ducati Multistrada Granturismo
there will be some bracket modding I think, but alternators are very straightforward - as long as they're bolted in place and the belt fits, that's all it needs. Connect 2-3 wires and you're done. An alternator is about as generic a part can get.

I saw the alternator they dug up. Only 120amps, and although it was free, it looked like it had sat in seawater for years. I said no way, I'll order one.

So I just picked up a remanufactured 160 amp (stock is 90 amp) alternator for the Infiniti I30 for a measly $130. Goodbye charging problems! And if I want to add extra electric cooling fans, it should be no sweat at all
Old 25th September 2008, 07:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
tarmac terror is Wondering why it says 'New User' below.....*confused*
New Users

Cars owned: Genuine R32 GTR; Genuine-ish X5 4.8iS; Completely fake BMW M6; Reasonably Genuine Peugeot 306 Rallye
Apologies for digging this up but does anyone know of an alternator which can be sourced in the UK which has a decent output and is a direct fit for the std R32GTR alt???
Or, one which requires minimal modding to fit??

TT
R32GTR- Stage 6; Frank Baxter exhaust with K-pipe; Rick Astley cams; Dave Gahan electrics; Bjorn Ulvaeus race prep; Howard Jones gearbox upgrade; Ray Charles body mods and styling. Mapped by Glenn Medeiros.------> Beat that R35 owners with dodgy parts list sigs :)
tarmac terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 12:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

I ended up using a remanufactured 160amp Infiniti I30 alternator from the mid-90's. It bolted straight in, and although it came with a six-groove pulley, that was easily solved by...just throwing our four-groove belt on anyways and leaving the outer two grooves empty. It all lined up, and I am getting a LOT more electrical juice

Plus, the thing cost less than $200 shipped from the US. Gotta love eBay!
Old 26th September 2008, 11:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
New Users

Cars owned: Genuine R32 GTR; Genuine-ish X5 4.8iS; Completely fake BMW M6; Reasonably Genuine Peugeot 306 Rallye
Does this look like the same thing you bought Toby??

eBay Motors: NISSAN AND INFINITI I30 ALTERNATOR 160 AMP 1996-2001 (item 360091859858 end time Oct-23-08 18:55:01 PDT)

TT
R32GTR- Stage 6; Frank Baxter exhaust with K-pipe; Rick Astley cams; Dave Gahan electrics; Bjorn Ulvaeus race prep; Howard Jones gearbox upgrade; Ray Charles body mods and styling. Mapped by Glenn Medeiros.------> Beat that R35 owners with dodgy parts list sigs :)
Old 26th September 2008, 01:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cris is enjoying the naughtiest of the three sisters
Owner of the MSNSPS

Cars owned: BNR32, RGV, 330i
Please excuse the comment but wouldn't a higher rated alternator place more load on the engine (thus sap power)?

Are more modern alternators perhaps better designed (what with the investment hybrids etc) thus more efficient?
Old 26th September 2008, 05:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
New Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris View Post
Please excuse the comment but wouldn't a higher rated alternator place more load on the engine (thus sap power)?

Are more modern alternators perhaps better designed (what with the investment hybrids etc) thus more efficient?
Thats great!! So can you tell me where I can get a straight-swap modern high output alternator to fit my GTR??

TT
Old 26th September 2008, 10:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cris is enjoying the naughtiest of the three sisters
Owner of the MSNSPS

Cars owned: BNR32, RGV, 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmac terror View Post
Thats great!! So can you tell me where I can get a straight-swap modern high output alternator to fit my GTR??

TT
????
Old 27th September 2008, 12:57 AM   #11 (permalink)
donk_316 is unaware they can edit their status

I thought you could change the guts out on Aternators to up their output.
Old 27th September 2008, 02:26 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmac terror View Post
yep, same thing. Much, much cheaper than rebuilding, and although it should theoretically sap more horsepower, it doesn't. The car's electronics are definitely much happier with plenty of electrical juice for everything.

An alternator reaches maximum output around 2500-3000rpm. Beyond that, the regulator reduces output - otherwise an alternator would create crazy amounts of electricity at higher rpm.

Highly recommended mod! 85 stock amps just doesn't cut it - with the A/C on, electric fan on, headlights on, stereo on....the battery will drain and the car will stop - I know this from experience! Now I can run all my accessories, gauges, the 30 amps my fuel pumps pull, my HKS DLI ignition amp, the 80 peak amps my stereo can hit, all fans (A/C fan comes on whenever I turn on the A/C, I did that wiring mod), and voltage doesn't drop.
Old 20th February 2014, 08:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
cobrAA is unaware they can edit their status

Bumping this because I never heard about the I30 swap. most people talk about the Quest alt. swap.

Anyone tried this beside Kismetcaptain ?
Old 21st February 2014, 01:50 AM   #14 (permalink)
xxfr is hibernating

Am keen to hear more on this too.
Old 10th January 2015, 09:03 AM   #15 (permalink)
jmhinkle is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

Even though no one responded, I'm taking the plunge. I just ordered one of the 160 amp rebuilt alternators for a 3.0l Maxima/I30 to fit to my R32 GTR. I'll do an actual write up on the US forum if this does work as said. I'll post the results here to whether it does swap straight in or not.
Old 13th January 2015, 06:19 AM   #16 (permalink)
jmhinkle is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

Alternator arrived today. First thought is there is no way this is going to work. The lower mount will possibly work, but the upper mount is on the left side of the alternator (when looking from the front) vs being on the right as the stock one is. It appears this will not allow the alternator to rotate enough to tighten the belt. I'll get it mounted in the car to verify this, but the plug issue is a whole other beast to try to figure out as the 2 pin plug on the alternator doesn't match anything I can find online to make something out of.
Old 13th January 2015, 06:35 AM   #17 (permalink)
matt j is at Strawberry Racing
Following EJH#25

I have one from here...

Alternators - Lightweight and efficient - Brise Electronics

Seems to work ok for the extra loads I have.
Old 13th January 2015, 06:46 AM   #18 (permalink)
border1 is unaware they can edit their status. Or is he?

Cars owned: '90 R32 GTR, R27 Clio F1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhinkle View Post
Alternator arrived today. First thought is there is no way this is going to work. The lower mount will possibly work, but the upper mount is on the left side of the alternator (when looking from the front) vs being on the right as the stock one is. It appears this will not allow the alternator to rotate enough to tighten the belt. I'll get it mounted in the car to verify this, but the plug issue is a whole other beast to try to figure out as the 2 pin plug on the alternator doesn't match anything I can find online to make something out of.
Get a shorter belt then piece of string and a ruler is all you need to work out the new belt length!

Don't give up yet, it'll be really useful to get this done as I'm sure there's a few of us who wouldn't mind upgrading
Old 13th January 2015, 07:35 AM   #19 (permalink)
speedingpanther is Playing with R34 RB install

Cars owned: MNP R33 GTR, White Spec2 Stagea
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt j View Post
I have one from here...

Alternators - Lightweight and efficient - Brise Electronics

Seems to work ok for the extra loads I have.

Hi Matt
Which one did you use?
Cheers
Dave
Old 13th January 2015, 07:47 AM   #20 (permalink)
matt j is at Strawberry Racing
Following EJH#25

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedingpanther View Post
Hi Matt
Which one did you use?
Cheers
Dave
I ordered a 150A unit normally supplied to Prodrive because of the high rpm I run.
It's not listed as an on the shelf item I don't think.
Tim is quite helpful and can advise what will work best with your setup and not just supply a generic unit.