Twin Turbo pipe - Modification - fitting guide - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Skyline and Stagea "How to" and DIY guides
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2nd November 2008, 02:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mookistar is so happy to be out of Skyline ownership
Site Admin.

Cars owned: Mookiwagen Passat and a good nights sleep
Twin Turbo pipe - Modification - fitting guide

Ok, I appreciate this is childs play to some of you, but to others who NEVER touch their car, this should give you the confidence to have a go.

So, go get a socket set.

Firstly you need to order your Modified Twin Turbo pipe. This should be available anytime soon Via the Club shop.

It is an Exchange item, so you will need to send your old pipe back to Ian when your done.

When you receive your pipe from Ian, I would recommend giving it a thorough clean. I used WD40, lots of hot water and washing up liquid, to remove any trace of metal filings left from the modification process. You could put yours in the dishwasher.

Right, picture time.

Here’s my original.

Note I have a HKS Hard pipe kit, so you may not have the little blue hose, but you’ll get the idea.

First thing, remove the rubber hose to the left of the twin turbo pipe. On mine, I can just slide it out of the way, you may need to remove your original black rubber hose.

Then, loosen the jubilee clips on the other side of the twin turbo pipe.

Note, the pipe is held onto the turbo via two 12mm nuts, on about 1” studs. I sprayed mine with WD40 then went and had breakfast. Where I returned, they came off easy.

Once the two nuts are loose, have a magnetic ended tool or screwdriver to hand, to lift them out of the way, otherwise you might miss them falling away, or even worse, falling into the turbo.

Once they are off, you need to “manipulate” the Twin turbo pipe over the 1” studs. I did this by getting the black hose on the far end of the pipe off first, and then wiggling the pipe free.

These are some comparison shots.

You might notice the gasket that the pipe bolted onto is perished or just dirty. My was “ok” and a bit of WD cleaned it up.

Then, I just did the reverse of the above and put it back together.

Last thing you need to do is retrieve your “Twin Turbo” badge off you old pipe. I’ve not done this yet, but image lots of heat and something soft to prise it off with should work.

Then, box up your old pipe, and post it back to Ian.

I’ve not driven it yet, but the testimony this mod has already received leads me to think it will be advantageous.

Enjoy

mook

Last edited by Mookistar; 2nd November 2008 at 02:43 PM..
Mookistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008, 02:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
kismetcapitan is like trees in November...
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: BNR32 (RIP), Audi RS6, Ducati 1299S Panigale, Ducati Multistrada Granturismo
I'm having that done as we speak. The main puzzling was over where exactly to split the pipe. In the end though, it's 50/50 at the outlet, and roughly equal probably makes small but not significant flow differences. Or so I'm guessing.

I did ask for a slight bit more space to be given to the rear turbo in terms of the split, as that one works harder and flows less (IIRC) so a little less output restriction might help.

But I'm now waiting for some fluid mechanics expert to come in and drop the hammer on my guess/theory
Old 2nd November 2008, 04:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ian C is Not able to post for some reason! Help!!

Cars owned: BCNR33
nice one mook!

Regarding removal of the twin turbo badge, heat isn't really required, but can't do any harm. They key thing is to find a tool which is similar length to that of the badge (because the badge is very soft, so a screwdriver will destroy it).
The best tool i've found is a large wallpaper scraper, very gently down the side of the badge, prising and pushing as you go, should just pop off un-marked.

Thanks for the write-up....I'll get in touch with scott tonight about sorting them through the club shop.

Be good to hear how it works for you!

Ian

Old 2nd November 2008, 04:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
GouldyGTR is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

Cars owned: Stage1 R32 GTR
wouldnt mind getting my hands on one of these!

Am going to try and source a spare twin turbo pipe too as im sure it would come in handy for the shop to keep in stock
Old 2nd November 2008, 05:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
pupsi is RIPs BUILT TWEENIEROB INSTALLED AND MAPPED.
New Users

Cars owned: GTR R33.
Would be interesting to hear the benefit's of this mod?? can the difference be felt?? or only noticeable by measurement, by electronic gadgetry??
Old 2nd November 2008, 05:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Adam Kindness is phu phu phu

Cars owned: R32 GTR
if you have bad turbo shufle shuffle shuffle and its sorted you will 100% phisically feel it.

Would the Y pipe you get with some of the air filter & hard pipe kits do something similar, or will it be prone to the same problems?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Sponsored by Ultralite &

'81 Porsche 911 SC 3.0
'08 Navara Outlaw

Adam Kindness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 04:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
GLOBAL AUTO JP is unaware they can edit their status

For those trying to get spare ones to have the work done. I think there are 2 types and slight length difference in R32, R33, R34. So watch out.
Not sure what is longer or shorter.
Hope someone will give right answer to this.
Old 4th November 2008, 03:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
freakazoid3 is a longtime addict
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kismetcapitan View Post
I'm having that done as we speak. The main puzzling was over where exactly to split the pipe. In the end though, it's 50/50 at the outlet, and roughly equal probably makes small but not significant flow differences. Or so I'm guessing.

I did ask for a slight bit more space to be given to the rear turbo in terms of the split, as that one works harder and flows less (IIRC) so a little less output restriction might help.

But I'm now waiting for some fluid mechanics expert to come in and drop the hammer on my guess/theory
I'm guessing that the airflow of the rear turbo will see significant less turbulence and eddying when meeting the fornt turbo's flow.
The rear one's flow is disturbed by the front airflow thus creating turbulence. Splitting the outlet off the 'twin turbo pipe" up in favour off the rear one could make a small difference but I don't think it will be that notistable.
The main engineering issue is resolved when directing both airflows in the same direction where they come together.
Old 4th November 2008, 10:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
GT-R Glenn is aware Veilsides street R32 gtr ran 8.612 @ 172.5 MPH (Radials)

Cars owned: R32GTR /GSXR1300DatsunB310/ R33 / KTM / Gasgas / Type R EG Civic
Pupsi, Soichi told me about 8 years ago that mods will give about 10 to 15 hp atw's.
Theres a huge thread on this forum somewhere.
Old 5th November 2008, 07:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
[email protected] is in pieces all over the garage
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Here you go, gains 10-15hp so a worthwhile mod!!
https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/84482-tes...urbo-pipe.html
Old 5th November 2008, 09:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
WillRobDon is hardcore BNR32
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Cars owned: BNR32 GTR , Golf GTD
Very intrested in this! When is it going to be available through the club shop, i take it you get sent the modded one first - swap them on the car - and post the original back?
Old 5th November 2008, 01:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Site Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willrobdon View Post
i take it you get sent the modded one first - swap them on the car - and post the original back?
correctamundo

mook
Old 5th November 2008, 04:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

c'mon c'mon I want one!

I also want to replace the pipes (black flexi crap) with hard pipes, but I dont want to pay for the whole kit (dont want Y pipe etc).... does anyone sell these individually

-

'81 Porsche 911 SC 3.0
'08 Navara Outlaw

Old 5th November 2008, 04:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Site Admin.

Driftboy normally has the 4 peice hard pipe kits kicking aorund (dunno why)

mook
Old 5th November 2008, 04:42 PM   #15 (permalink)

cheers, PM sent to driftboy

-

'81 Porsche 911 SC 3.0
'08 Navara Outlaw

Old 5th November 2008, 04:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
driftboy is unaware they can edit their status

Lol at mook...

yeah had 3 sets over the last while...

1) removed from my R33 GTR (white) when i went single turbo
2) set from my (silver) R33 GTR that was going to be my track car but ended braking for parts instead
3) sold (lanerjocks) cusco top pipe for him when he changed to a greddy kit

but sorry Adam that was all a whlie ago so they have all been snapped up sometime ago... they dont tend to sit around as im sure you've seen..
Old 6th November 2008, 01:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
chaz_r33_gtr is mourning the sale of his car
GTROC Member

Cars owned: R33 GTR VSpec, (Yamaha R1 - yeah its abike ) Rover216 GTI Beast!
My twin turbo pipe has been crome plated (not polished) would it be able to be modified (via the shop exchange method) without the chrome (in areas other than the cut/weld of the plate) being knackered?

How long we looking at before they are in the GTR Shop?

ta,
Old 6th November 2008, 07:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
Scott is GTROC #005
GTROC Co-Founder.

Cars owned: BNR32.
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz_r33_gtr View Post
My twin turbo pipe has been crome plated (not polished) would it be able to be modified (via the shop exchange method) without the chrome (in areas other than the cut/weld of the plate) being knackered?

How long we looking at before they are in the GTR Shop?

ta,
GTROC members version is available now. See bottom of this page:

https://www.gtr.co.uk/products-79.html

O O SKYLINE O O

My R32's full restoration:

Air Filters:

Scott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 03:17 PM   #19 (permalink)
rhds14 is a little chilly

I have performed this mod on my GTR, I will agree I have seen the small increase in power 10-15 horse but it did not resolve my turbo surge problem. Think it points back further to the exhaust manifolds and needing the balance pipe.
Old 26th January 2010, 05:53 PM   #20 (permalink)
trevbwhite is enjoying his T04Z
Registered

Cars owned: gts-t 33/ r32 GT-R
got my pipe today anybody know a good glue to use to stick the twin turbo badge back on with?

trevbwhite is offline   Reply With Quote