Best current or upcoming mobile phone? - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Non-Skyline / GT-R chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15th April 2009, 12:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
SmigzyGTR is back! Now with added R35 :)
New Users

Cars owned: R33 GTR, 500hp K20 EG6 Turbo
Best current or upcoming mobile phone?

What is everyone currently using?

I'm still with my trusty N95. I was waiting for the N97 but the release dates now at the back end of June. I'm on Orange and dont really want to change over, so thats the iPhone 3G out of contention.

Any other phones that are worth looking at?

Cheers gents!
Old 15th April 2009, 05:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
vizibledog is ha ha this a way ha ha that a way
GTROC Member

Cars owned: Top Secret Checkpoint R33 GTR
I know its out for you, but, I had the N95 8GB, just got an iphone 3G and it is light years ahead of ay phone I've ever had. I dont know how I ever got by without it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

vizibledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 06:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
CSB
CSB is hoping this thread doesn't get locked...
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

im still waiting for the 'ultimate' phone, a contender to the iphone which im not a fan of, the google android was inferior to it, so im still waiting. currently i got my hp ipaq which i had for 4+ years, its still way better than most the phones out there, sat nav, internet, touch screen etc etc, keyboard, i still love it

Old 15th April 2009, 06:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
mifn21 is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

Cars owned: R32 GTR
If you're on orange then it has to be the Touch HD - easily the best phone (ie the least compromised) out there.

The only thing I would change on it is the lack of flash, but the camera still dicks all over the one on the iphone
Old 15th April 2009, 10:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
TREG is the man to speak to about photographing your wedding!
R35 Section manager

Cars owned: RS6, R35 GTR, R33 GTR
Would anyone know of any deals that are on the Vodaphone network??
Old 16th April 2009, 09:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Bajie is Naturally Aspirated ...
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: C63 AMG Edition 507
i have a blackberry storm
its bloody fantastic
takes about seven minutes to get to grips with the way the screen works but really good even if you have stumpy fingers
also, when the screen is locked you can set up to make outgoing calss so you don't have to continually enter your passcode
comes with documents to go preloaded so you have your excel/word files with you and, even though there is no wifi, the phone surfs well when needed
dimensionally i still find it a bit large, its not a pocket friendly phone, but as a business tool i highly recommend it

WAR : If I invade Kentucky Fried Chicken, wings will be free in my house!

Bajie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 09:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
bigchris350 is m/// powered up
GTROC Member

Cars owned: subaru wrx , bmw z3 m coupe , R34 GTR, R32 GTR
2nd vote blackberry

hey ive got the blackberry storm which is only avalable on the vodaphone network and its bloody brilliant i love it it not my business tool just my everyday phone. i didnt think id like it at first being touch screen but its soo good best phone ive ever had plus unique features like blackberry instant messaging is totally free to anyone else whos got a berry. which is quite a few of my mates now and a quick growing number.if people think the i phone is good try this thing out it blows it away . lol.
Old 16th April 2009, 12:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Daz
Daz is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: Used to drive: R32 GTR
I've got a Samsung Omnia - which i'm dead happy with. They are bringing out an HD version of the phone later this year (O-LED screen, 720p video playback, bigger screen, better sensitivety on the touch, etc) ... going to be a great bit of kit I think.

Dynapack tuned ... by Abbey Motorsport
Daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 12:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
DonDavidson is unaware they can edit their status

LG Renoir, i havent wanted a phone to do anything this phone doesnt, its a good size without being oversized (like the iphone) it has wi-fi capability aswell as all the usual expensive internets you get on phones nowadays, the touch screen isnt overly sensitive and is easy to navigate, the screen doesnt scratch easily and the sound and picture quality is fantastic, it also gives me perfect reception in a building that i used to get absolutely zero reception in, im still very impressed with this phone even after a few months.
Old 16th April 2009, 12:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
New Users

Hmm, yeah been looking at that too.

Contenders are:

Omnia Touch HD
Blackberry Storm
Nokia N97 (End of june i think)
iPhone 3rd Gen (no official release as yet)
Old 16th April 2009, 01:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Geordieboy is in need of good head

I recently upgraded (tmobile) to MDA vario 4 and wow have to say its a fantastic phone. Wasnt convinced to start off with as the original phone i opted for was the Sony Ericsson x1 and guess what t mobile are the only bloody service provider not to have it...damn typical they offered my the g1 and to be fair the software facility looked fine the quality of the phone well looked like a cheap and nasty bairns toy phone....but the mda vario is a nice piece of kit......but still wanted the x1
Old 16th April 2009, 02:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cris is enjoying the naughtiest of the three sisters
Owner of the MSNSPS

Cars owned: BNR32, RGV, 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordieboy View Post
I recently upgraded (tmobile) to MDA vario 4 and wow have to say its a fantastic phone. Wasnt convinced to start off with as the original phone i opted for was the Sony Ericsson x1 and guess what t mobile are the only bloody service provider not to have it...damn typical they offered my the g1 and to be fair the software facility looked fine the quality of the phone well looked like a cheap and nasty bairns toy phone....but the mda vario is a nice piece of kit......but still wanted the x1
You may be able to get the handset through another source than the service provider's shop. I have a Sony which isn't/wasn't available on 02 but going through carphone warehouse. At the end of the day against what the service providers say almost any phone can be used on any network.
Old 16th April 2009, 02:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cris is enjoying the naughtiest of the three sisters
Owner of the MSNSPS

Cars owned: BNR32, RGV, 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmigzyGTR View Post
What is everyone currently using?

I'm still with my trusty N95. I was waiting for the N97 but the release dates now at the back end of June. I'm on Orange and dont really want to change over, so thats the iPhone 3G out of contention.

Any other phones that are worth looking at?

Cheers gents!
If you can live without a flash then the HTC Diamond2 is worth a look. Apparently HTC will upgrade it to the new version of Windows Mobile when it's out.
Old 16th April 2009, 02:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
New Users

That looks quite good as well.

The Omnia HD has got quite a lot of features i'm looking for TBH (720p HD recording, HDMI out, pretty much the best screen of them all etc.) looks right up there with the N97 for me. Going to leave the iPhone as everyone has one IMO, i know they are good but i'm after something a bit different.

Will look into the X1 too
Old 16th April 2009, 02:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
Mookistar is so happy to be out of Skyline ownership
Site Admin.

Cars owned: Mookiwagen Passat and a good nights sleep
been there, done that. it can only be the iphone. people who moan about its camera are clutching at straws. I cannot imagine having more perfectly designed and reliable device

i switched from Orange to O2 and have not looked back since.

incredible bit of kit

mook
Old 16th April 2009, 07:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
turboslippers is Christmas Shopping
GTROC Member

Cars owned: Metallic Blue R32 GTR; BMW 740i; Mk1 Mazda MX5 R; Mk4 Golf GTI (borrowing)
Quote:

incredible bit of kit
Exactly the same here...I used to listen to snowfiend bang on about them and I thought it was just .

I was in EXACTLY the same position as you smigzy, N95 on orange and wanted to stay with them at the time so only real contender was the Touch HD which I tried and was very good. The N95 has a million gadgets on it but getting to bloody work reliably is a pain.
After advice from here, went for the the iphone. No contest since...no other phone interests me at the mo. It's not just about the toys on it, it's how seamlessly they work. You end up doing so much more with it because it just works...all the time
And, with new free apps appearing on itunes everyweek there is always a new toy to play with...can't fault it. I thought i'd miss the camera on the N95 which is damn good but 90% of the time it serves it's function. I can live without the 5meg

Sorry, you don't want one do you..me and Mook will stop banging on about iphones now

R32 GTR
Saab 9000 Aero
Eunos Roadster 1.8 R
turboslippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 07:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
vizibledog is ha ha this a way ha ha that a way
GTROC Member

Cars owned: Top Secret Checkpoint R33 GTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookistar View Post
been there, done that. it can only be the iphone. people who moan about its camera are clutching at straws. I cannot imagine having more perfectly designed and reliable device

incredible bit of kit

mook
I totally agree. I didnt think it'd be that good ( and I'm a Mac boy ) but I am just amazed at how good it is. It is absolutely seamless. That and the fact it is constantly evolving as both a phone and entertainment device and has MASSIVE back up and content from the itunes store make this the best phone out there at the moment. At the moment I cant see me ever having anything other than an iphone.

vizibledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 08:13 AM   #18 (permalink)
New Users

Are they really THAT good? Cheers for the comments guys.

I may just have to research a bit deeper and possibly look at switching contracts then.

I have seen some net rumours saying that the 3rd gen will be out over the summer, can anyone shed any light?
Old 17th April 2009, 09:57 AM   #19 (permalink)
Bucky is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

Cars owned: R32 GTR M's Factory
I am going to buy a new phone her in russia tomorrow. I have an N96 at the moment and its sh*t, slow and unreliable. The symbian OS is crap and the phone is full of bugs.

OK so there are some phones I am looking at
Iphone
HTC Touch HD
HTC Max 4G (expensive)

I am still leaning towards the Iphone at the moment. Just seems evryone has one thats all. But they are proven to work.
Old 17th April 2009, 10:03 AM   #20 (permalink)
Geordieboy is in need of good head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
I am going to buy a new phone her in russia tomorrow. I have an N96 at the moment and its sh*t, slow and unreliable. The symbian OS is crap and the phone is full of bugs.

OK so there are some phones I am looking at
Iphone
HTC Touch HD
HTC Max 4G (expensive)

I am still leaning towards the Iphone at the moment. Just seems evryone has one thats all. But they are proven to work.
Business or pleasure Mr bond?