GTR Forum banner

setting wastegates to run high boost?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  rb26r32 
#1 ·
hi guys,

im in the process of setting up my turbos (-10's) for my rb26/30 & want to understand the general consensus behind adjusting the wastegates.

currently, they are setup for 15psi & i will have the car tuned for either:
1. 23psi on pump fuel (98ron)
OR
2. up to 30psi with E85 (110-115ron) which is now available in aust.

what should i set the wastegates at as im sure they will be hard to adjust once in the car?

regards
marko

#3 ·
It will be a bit hit and miss, trial and error.

I ran 1bar acuators at 2 bar and it was set at standard pre-load, cant remember off the top of my head, you can test them with compressed to get them as close as you can but this will be the factory settings. Just depends if that is available.
Also depends on your boost controller, and if the springs have weakened from use (but your boost controller should sort this out, it just depends how much air your boost controller can bleed off)

The back pressure on the exhaust manifold will affect things to, if the pressure is higher than the spring load then the exhaust pressure will open the actuator, nothing can stop that unless you put stronger actuators/springs in.

#4 ·
sorry i did mean preload.

if the actuators are set @ 15psi to run 23psi boost would it be advantageous to have the actuators set at say 20psi? i.e. does it impact power delivery?

im hoping the actuators are easily accessible on a low mount setup as im guessing only my tuner can get it right

#5 ·
have the actuators set before the turbos go in if you can

first of all see how much boost the enngien builder is happy to run on the run in time

next speak to tuner on what they want it set at

for me my engine builder is happy to run 15psi on run in
tuner wanted a min preload of 15 psi for my max of 25psi
so i had them set a gcg to ensure they both had equal preload

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.