vote - best RB26 fan system - Page 2 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Tuning: General
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

View Poll Results: best RB26 fan system
viscous - if it ain't broke, don't fix it 119 63.30%
electric - on when you want it, off when you don't. Also gains you about 4bhp 69 36.70%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24th August 2009, 10:55 PM   #21 (permalink)
kismetcapitan is like trees in November...
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: BNR32 (RIP), Audi RS6, Ducati 1299S Panigale, Ducati Multistrada Granturismo
WARNING!!!

do NOT test the engine without rebolting on the four nuts that hold on the fan back onto the studs that also holds the pulley. How do I know? I just did that an hour ago. Water pump pulley came flying off, I couldn't get the alternator loose to remount the belt, and after saying a lot of profane things, drove the car a kilometer to the mechanic and dropped it off in his parking lot so they can get to it when they open up in two hours.

Most people would think of this...but I always have to learn the hard way

Engines sounds rather nice without the fan. Could not test blipping the throttle though since I had no alternator and the car was running entirely off the battery.

Anyways, to remove the viscous fan you need one 10mm spanner and 10 minutes, maybe less.

1) undo the four nuts holding the viscous fan pedestal to the water pump pulley. A ratcheting spanner makes this step a piece of piss.
2) remove fan assy
3) REINSTALL the four nuts to secure the pulley to the water pump!!

done!

Last edited by kismetcapitan; 24th August 2009 at 10:57 PM..
kismetcapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 11:01 PM   #22 (permalink)
mifn21 is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

Cars owned: R32 GTR
Might have to try that on the next trackday

Totally off topic, but when riding in to work on the 998 this morning, I saw a Desmosedici!! Looked so awesome, although it didn't sound that good, preferred the titanium cans on my bike

His tyres were chewed at the very edges too, don't think I'd have the balls to do that on a 35k+ bike!
Old 25th August 2009, 09:48 PM   #23 (permalink)
chaz_r33_gtr is mourning the sale of his car
GTROC Member

Cars owned: R33 GTR VSpec, (Yamaha R1 - yeah its abike ) Rover216 GTI Beast!
tried this this evening. Took the viscous fan off and secured the nuts again (Toby ) unfortunatley had to take my mate round to his estranged wifes so was difficult to tell 2up in the car what effect it had as im very used to driving it on me own!. Bear in mind though it was about 15-20° outside temp and even after a couple of high speed thrashes the water temps got up to 95°C when i got to a 30 limit and drove for 3 miles at that speed (and i wasnt stuck in traffic). So if you gonna try it make sure roads are quiet as you may overheat the car

Ill try it again on a short journey to work and then its most definitley going back on!!

PS this is on a 600hp GTR

Old 26th August 2009, 02:25 AM   #24 (permalink)

Cars owned: BNR32 (RIP), Audi RS6, Ducati 1299S Panigale, Ducati Multistrada Granturismo
ooh, Desmosedici! I've seen everything; easy to get jaded in this part of Seoul (saw a 993 Turbo S and a black F40 just this morning), but I've never seen a D16RR in the flesh. Will probably piss my pants when I do.

My ordered BMW promises to redline at and make more power than the Ducati, but it'll never be 100% pure exotica.

Desmo owners often swap the stock exhaust (even though exiting out the top is uber-cool) for MotoGP race pipes (one under the tail, one out the side). Seems to improve the sound a lot.
Old 26th August 2009, 02:26 AM   #25 (permalink)

argh, the car's in the garage as the alternator is intermittent and I've already ordered a new alternator. Who'd have thought that forgetting four nuts would end up being a £250 mistake??
Old 26th August 2009, 03:02 PM   #26 (permalink)
souroull is unaware they can edit their status

what, the alone alt was 250?
Old 26th August 2009, 06:13 PM   #27 (permalink)

yup, well with shipping and labor
Old 29th August 2009, 11:34 AM   #28 (permalink)
2TurbosTwiceFun is driving while posting!

Upgraded radiator and viscous FTW.... in my opinion of course
Old 2nd November 2010, 12:08 PM   #29 (permalink)
Staffie is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: R32 GTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
It's a shame, people are missing out!!!!

Removing the viscous is high up on my best mod list. Makes a big difference to the rev response of the car at low revs, and you can feel the extra hp on normal road pull offs. Plus it gets rid of that gay fan drone, and allows you to really hear the engine.

Don't believe me? Try it, it only takes 2 minutes to remove the 4 10mm nuts holding the viscous onto the water pump pulley.
Ditto on getting rid of the whooshing of the viscous fan, engine note sounds
much better. Engine bay looks less cluttered, more modern with the electric fan in place.

Last edited by Staffie; 2nd November 2010 at 12:11 PM..
Staffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2010, 01:22 PM   #30 (permalink)
Chris Wilson is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: R33 GTS-t with RB26 engine and Tractive dog box. And too many race cars according to `er indoors...
I drive the fan at full speed through a solid coupling, but the car is used for long stints of track time, and I found temperature control even with a perfect viscous drive and uprated radiator was marginal according to the data logs. It's noisy, will waste a few HP, but I would rather have over kill cooling capacity than 5 more BHP. Someone took a video of the car at Oulton the other day, it apparently sounds quite different to the norm, but how much is fan noise and how much is straight cut gear noise it's hard to say. Rod Bell was with me, he thought 50 / 50? I know most endurance race Skylines used a direct drive fan, Andy Middlehurst's cars all needed this mod for safe cooling.

YouTube - Skyline at oulton park

Old 3rd November 2010, 01:59 PM   #31 (permalink)
mambastu is looking forward to fork lift powah !

Cars owned: TH1 R32GTR, Ex-RB25DETT RS13
Thats really interesting Chris. Did you turn up the coupling yourself ?

Stu
mambastu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2010, 02:16 PM   #32 (permalink)

Cars owned: R33 GTS-t with RB26 engine and Tractive dog box. And too many race cars according to `er indoors...
Part turned, part fabricated, I am thinking of using a lower flow fan, Rod Bell was telling me of one from some Mercedes van that has the same hole PCD but with fewer blades, at a lesser pitch.
Old 3rd November 2010, 10:27 PM   #33 (permalink)
r33-sky is Awesome

Mr Wilson,
getting some info from you is easy, some hard.....
Are you/the car FAST?
I've been waiting a VERY long time for this........
Old 3rd November 2010, 10:40 PM   #34 (permalink)

I am not sure what you are saying or asking here What info do you need? I am 55 years old, so hardly at my physical peak, but I suppose I am reasonably quick still, but the Skyline is just for fun, I still have few proper race cars for going very fast in The car's pretty good for what it is, it's pretty well sorted for a road legal car with no cage on pretty stock suspension hardware, and it has fairly low maintenance needs. I guess you could wring a lot more out of it on proper rubber, with a cage in it. I'll find out to some extent when I swap the running gear into the new shell The engine and transmission will stay the same. I only run it at 1.2 bar boost, so some would say there's more to come engine wise, but I like things to be reliable.
Old 3rd November 2010, 10:45 PM   #35 (permalink)
r33-sky is Awesome

So modest too....
ok when your out diving in your slippers smoking your pipe, how many other Skylines do you see going backwards, and how do your lap-times compare to 'simillar' vehicles of any type?
Old 3rd November 2010, 10:51 PM   #36 (permalink)

It only does track days, so no one has ever put a watch on it as far as I know, timing on track days is very much frowned upon. I hardly ever see any other Skylines on track round the circuits up here. Diving in slippers and pipe is not something I have tried, what's it like?
Old 3rd November 2010, 11:22 PM   #37 (permalink)
Marko R1 is happy to have his old GTR back!

Cars owned: no.60/100 Australian Delivered R32 GTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wilson View Post
I drive the fan at full speed through a solid coupling, but the car is used for long stints of track time, and I found temperature control even with a perfect viscous drive and uprated radiator was marginal according to the data logs. It's noisy, will waste a few HP, but I would rather have over kill cooling capacity than 5 more BHP. Someone took a video of the car at Oulton the other day, it apparently sounds quite different to the norm, but how much is fan noise and how much is straight cut gear noise it's hard to say. Rod Bell was with me, he thought 50 / 50? I know most endurance race Skylines used a direct drive fan, Andy Middlehurst's cars all needed this mod for safe cooling.

YouTube - Skyline at oulton park
that sounds amazing! luv it!
Old 5th November 2010, 01:24 PM   #38 (permalink)
.::TopSky::. is a Nissan freak.

Cars owned: Skyline R33 GTR (Sparkling Silver) Impreza STi Type RA Vr.5 Supra MKIV Volvo 850R Laser blue
With electric you will get heating problems so viscous anytime!
Old 17th November 2010, 08:12 AM   #39 (permalink)
Austrian GTR is now EFR boosted
GTROC Member

Cars owned: CX5 CD175 Revolution Top, R32 GTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by .::TopSky::. View Post
With electric you will get heating problems so viscous anytime!
That's bollocks. If run two electric fans with an accurate flowrate you don't have any heating problems...

...never got any problems with mine this summer, not even when pushing it on the limit for over half an hour on a small winding uphill road at low speeds and high revs and outside temperature above 35°C.

My GTR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Austrian GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 08:58 AM   #40 (permalink)
GT4 Addicted is enjoying his R34 GTR

Cars owned: 500+ R34 GTR V Spec UK, KTM 1190 RC8R full track spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austrian GTR View Post
That's bollocks. If run two electric fans with an accurate flowrate you don't have any heating problems...

...never got any problems with mine this summer, not even when pushing it on the limit for over half an hour on a small winding uphill road at low speeds and high revs and outside temperature above 35°C.
that's true... fans are just for static use... once the car is moving airflow is the cooling source...

the OEM fan in my opinion use to much power especially in high rev. electric fan conversion is on my "to do list"