GTR Forum banner

RK R34gtr RB30 Carbon race car

484K views 910 replies 213 participants last post by  chodjinn 
#1 ·
I've owned this car for around 5 years know i bought it as a stage one UK R34gtr v-spec which from day one i started modifying, looking back on it perhaps knowing what i do now i shouldn't of started off with such a nice car but anyway this is what happened.

I remenber my first track day at Brands Hatch in my R34gtr was an awesome day but needed some attention with my track craft lol, after i had been on a few GTROC track days abroad and in the uk i was seriously hooked!

As i was getting into track time more and more i thought it would be a good idea to get some tuition and a CATD Driver training day came up with the GTROC. It was the best thing i'd ever done Colin tought me so much in just a short space of time, so i decided to have some one to one tuition with Colin, he tought me more in a few hours which would have taken me months without he's help, worth every penney!

As i was getting into this race car thing i wanted to dedicate my car to the track only as this is where my fun is. I went to see Ron at RK Tuning and instantly i new he was a skyline nut like myself lol, so new he was the man for the job, after a couple of years i've slowly modded the car but now i have my final goal.

I am building my car with Ron [ RK Tuning ] to enter into a Dunlop series, my goal is to create a one off race car which will be competitive in this series, the body work will be full carbon and the engine will be an RK 3.0 so here goes from the start.

See less See more
Reactions: cuzzgtr
#4 ·
Once the cage and arch work had been completed i fitted fibre glass doors, bonnet, boot lid and was going to mould the front arches.

I moddified the fibre glass front bumper to give me some brake ducts and canards.

#9 ·
Once ron had finnished with her i had a few test days to see how my baby was performing the engine was great but the handling wasn't perfect i was still running the standard arms and wishbones so couldn't adjust much to get the best out of her and she was still a bit on the heavy side so i decided to think again.

Here's a couple of pics of the last time she was on track at snetterton, was a good day but was suffering from serious understeer.

Reactions: cuzzgtr
#11 ·
Neil, the rear wing looks slightly to high (top flap should be level with top of roof), is too wide and the side plate should go down to as near the rear wings as you can make it. I know it looks a bit wierd but its how best to get the aero-d to work and create the rear vortex that pushes the back into the track and bu66ers it up for the car behind you! You might also find the side plates 'flex' or vibrate a lot so make them as thick a guage as you can for rigidity. Also be aware how how much 'drag' you get which will curtail your top speed. Set up for track type - Ron should know all about that.

Then you just need to really push it around corners.

Good luck!

DaveG

#12 ·
Thanks for your thoughts dave but i've spoke to the people who made the wing, people who use wind tunnels and people who build gt race cars and there doesn't seem to be one rule to stick to which makes it difficult to decide what to do for the best unless your car's in the wind tunnel.

#14 · (Edited)
This is where the prodject rearly starts the aim is to be as light, handling and responsive as possible.

The car is undergoing a bespoke suspension system, rear rad conversion, carbon body parts, RK RB30, RK Dry sump system, serious carbon ducting system and much more, pics will follow as the project pans out.

#21 · (Edited)
Cheers guys! there's a huge amount of work to do but i'm loving every minute of it!

So far the front suspension turrets have been cut away and reinstated in there new position, the new engine mounts have also been fitted to the chassis and the front tubular sub frame is being made at the moment.

I have changed the design of the front bumper slightly to give proper ducting to the brakes and intercooler and slightly changed the front wings to vent more air from the inner arches.

The radiator will be mounted flat in the boot area and will be fed from carbon ducting using the whole of the rear quater windows.

The next major piece of moulding i have to do is to take a mould of the rear quaters so the can be remade in carbon can't wait to chop them off and feel that weight hit the floor as they will be heavier than standard anyway as all the extra metal that was used to enlarge them not to mention the filler to make them look nice.

Should have a few pics to post up this week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.