GTR Engine Change Programme - Official Information - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24th January 2010, 10:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Guy
Guy is here.
Registered

Cars owned: Have owned R32/33/34/35, Porsche 964/993RS/996GT2 Ruf/997GT2, plus some Lambo/Ferrari/Alpina/BMW etc
GTR Engine Change Programme - Official Information

I'm sorry that I haven't commented on the threads about the engine problem and the solution programme that have occurred in the last few days. Although I have been discussing this with Nissan, they (quite rightly) wanted to get out a very clear complete message in one go, rather than drip-feed facts and leave questions unanswered.

A full detailed presentation that covers the programme appears at the end of this message. However for those that cannot access this, or who cannot wait, here is a short summary:

- Nissan has identified a problem with crankshaft bearings in the earliest left-hand drive EU cars.

- There are 309 vehicles affected and the owners of each one is being contacted directly.

- These cars will have their complete engines replaced as well as ancillaries such as turbos and even oil cooler.

- This will occur at three locations which are the HPCs in Sweden and Greece for local markets and a new Amsterdam special facility for all mainland Europe.

- The following markets are NOT affected: US, Japan, UK.

Full details of the programme are below. Affected owners will themselves be given more specific information regarding how their cars will be collected etc when they are contacted directly.

Edit: Link deleted as presentation is shown/linked to GTROC in later post.

I think what Nissan have done is to be applauded and I say that as a sceptical owner of many supercars. They have recognised there was a problem and have come up with a Europe-wide way of dealing with it that is way beyond what is required. Many other manufacturers might have chosen to ignore the problems (a la Porsche Rear-Main-Seal issues anyone?) or they could easily have simply replaced the crank and bearings. This is going to cost them many many millions of pounds and I think it shows a great commitment to the product.

Last edited by Guy; 24th January 2010 at 12:29 PM..
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2010, 10:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lindsay Mac is is enjoying his GT3.....I'll get my coat.
GTROC Member

Cars owned: Now R35 Premuim Nav, previous chariots, CaymanS, M3, WRX, 535 etc
Yip, you have got be happy with that.
Old 24th January 2010, 11:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Zed Ed is elsewhere, mostly
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: BRZ track project
This looks like a very thorough and quality response from Nissan.

Are Cobb supporting the required mass removal of Accessports too

Old 24th January 2010, 11:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
ANDY400R is looking at GTRs again
GTROC Member

Cars owned: Storm white R35
Link doesnt appear to be working!
Old 24th January 2010, 11:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
rblvjenkins is now driving an SLS
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Cars owned: Litchfield Stage 4 DMG R35 Black Edition, Subaru Legacy 3.0R Spec B estate (tow car) + CivicR race car. Custodian of LP670SV
How do you download the .pdf? I can't seem to access it. I've clicked on the link Guy has given, then clicked on "Proceed to file download page", but I can't open the .pdf that seems to be there, nor highlight it, in either Explorer or Firefox. All I get is a maddening song about "why do you have to bother to go to another site just for a comment!!!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rblvjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2010, 11:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
paul__k is unaware they can edit their status
GT-RDC Member

Well done Nissan for standing behind their product especially as it seems to be down to environmentalists.

The fact that mods to the engine ( cobb, even turbos etc) do not seem to effect the warranty dispels a lot of the internet warranty myth with this car.

Having seen how my brother was treated regarding RMS on his Porker (basically stitched up)says to me that Nissan are prepared to pay up when things go wrong.

Link is OK for me.
Old 24th January 2010, 11:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Wildrover is a V8 lover!

Cars owned: C63 AMG / Defender
Excellent information - all ambiguity has been removed.

Well Done Nissan.

What is certain - any profit that did exist for them has been wiped out in one go.

Wildrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2010, 11:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
ru'
ru' is is meh!
New Users

Cars owned: M3 'Vert & X90
there's a 'click here to download your file' link on the page which opens after clicking the 'proceed to file download page' link.

Ignore the big arrows for the rubbish toolbar spam etc.
Old 24th January 2010, 12:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Guy
Guy is here.
Registered

Cars owned: Have owned R32/33/34/35, Porsche 964/993RS/996GT2 Ruf/997GT2, plus some Lambo/Ferrari/Alpina/BMW etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by ru' View Post
there's a 'click here to download your file' link on the page which opens after clicking the 'proceed to file download page' link.

Ignore the big arrows for the rubbish toolbar spam etc.
Exactly. It's not a great way to host the file, but all I could do at short notice as I cannot upload a 5 meg file on here. We are working on getting it hosted somewhere better though.

cheers

Guy
Old 24th January 2010, 12:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fuggles is at Nissan GT-R London
Registered

Cars owned: none
The presentation is here: Gallery - GTR OWNERS CLUB

or as follows:

Old 24th January 2010, 12:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
ANDY400R is looking at GTRs again
GTROC Member

Cars owned: Storm white R35
Tahnks Ru got it now.
Well done Nissan, most manufacturers would I think have kept quite and just dealt with problem as and when individual owners had problems, great to see them grasp the nettle and sort out all 309 cars affected and so qiuckly (10 Days) my GTR has been away 5 weeks so far just for a soddin key problem. I hope that they see the koudos that they get from dealing with problems in this way is the way to deal with all similar problems in the future. (If any)
Old 24th January 2010, 03:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
[email protected] is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: GTC R35 GTR, R34, R33, R32
Good news, pleased for all effected.
Old 24th January 2010, 03:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
rblvjenkins is now driving an SLS
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Cars owned: Litchfield Stage 4 DMG R35 Black Edition, Subaru Legacy 3.0R Spec B estate (tow car) + CivicR race car. Custodian of LP670SV
My brother's Ferrari 430 needed a 3rd clutch after 9000 miles and he got rid of it in disgust when he was told that this was normal wear and tear for a "car doing high mileage".

What a difference! Well done Nissan...

rblvjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2010, 05:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
charles charlie is chasing a Veyron from 30-130mph
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: E36 M3 Evo, Mini Cooper S, 996 Boxster S, Caterham Super 7, Merc Tractor :(
Thanks for posting all the info guys, much appreciated.

I do have one big question since my VIN is 100576...

Since manufacturing of the VR38DETT engines takes place in a single small facility, how is it that only LHD vehicles are affected, considering the RHD UK cars were being assembled at the same time, and the UK market is the only one apparently not having this issue? Every other market's cars are affected save for the UK.

It would completely reassure me if Nissan could explain this....

Engine built @ RiversideRacing
Litcho rods/pistons/RaceIC/BOVs/oil cooler/susp+handling kit/front diff
Race Developments ported manifold/AT Power TBs
RF street zorst+DPs
RacingBrake BBK
Xtreme18 Clutch/Dodson 1st gear+shaft/trans brace
2015 alloys/nav upgrade/Nismo cluster
DSC susp controller
DBA front/Varis CF bonnet/2016 Lights
TTE7XX turbos = >900bhp 700lbsft 30-130mph in 8.19s

charles charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2010, 06:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
Guy
Guy is here.
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles charlie View Post
Since manufacturing of the VR38DETT engines takes place in a single small facility, how is it that only LHD vehicles are affected, considering the RHD UK cars were being assembled at the same time, and the UK market is the only one apparently not having this issue? Every other market's cars are affected save for the UK.
No US or JDM cars made during this time are affected either, so your assumption isn't correct.

Nissan have made it very clear that have tracked down the exact vehicles that were affected and are rectifying them at massive expense. Are you seriously suggesting that they would do that and would deliberately not include some cars they knew were affected?

Their priority is to deal with the large-scale logistics of replacing over 300 engines spread all over Europe. They have been kind enough to give us very clear information to pass onto those who are not affected i.e. the majority of readers here who are UK based. With respect I will not be asking them to justify to you personally why your own personal car has not been affected. Lets just be grateful the UK was not affected and be re-assured by the strength of effort Nissan have made to resolve this, as my sums suggest we are we're talking a £5-10m+ cost for this programme.

Last edited by Guy; 24th January 2010 at 06:04 PM..
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2010, 07:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
charles charlie is chasing a Veyron from 30-130mph
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: E36 M3 Evo, Mini Cooper S, 996 Boxster S, Caterham Super 7, Merc Tractor :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Are you seriously suggesting that they would do that and would deliberately not include some cars they knew were affected?
Feel free Guy to re-read my post and quote exactly where I said there was some sort of conspiracy.....

As an owner of a car within the range of ViNs affected, I have the right for a full explanation of the problem.

That includes a simple explanation as to why UK RHD cars are not affected.

Your statement that JDM and USDM cars are not affected is not pertinent to the problem as they are not subject to EU regulations regarding Lead free metals in the affected bearings, as far as I'm aware.

Clearly the UK is part of the EU, and as such, why would our bearings be different to those placed in other EU cars?

A simple question which I have the right to ask, as my car has a VIN within the range specified.

I made no suggestion of anything. I just need more information to put my mind at ease.

So are you suggesting that I have no right to that information?

I sincerely hope not.

Engine built @ RiversideRacing
Litcho rods/pistons/RaceIC/BOVs/oil cooler/susp+handling kit/front diff
Race Developments ported manifold/AT Power TBs
RF street zorst+DPs
RacingBrake BBK
Xtreme18 Clutch/Dodson 1st gear+shaft/trans brace
2015 alloys/nav upgrade/Nismo cluster
DSC susp controller
DBA front/Varis CF bonnet/2016 Lights
TTE7XX turbos = >900bhp 700lbsft 30-130mph in 8.19s

charles charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2010, 07:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
Wildrover is a V8 lover!

Cars owned: C63 AMG / Defender
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
as my sums suggest we are we're talking a £5-10m+ cost for this programme.
Bet you are under quoting there - a massive recall and one that could affect the viability of the whole programme. 300 engines - all major ancillaries - labour - lots of wonga.

Appreciate the huge logistical nightmare Nissan are experiencing to do this and very thankful that they are.

I bet Ghosn is saying well that was good while it lasted - think we should cut our losses. Or maybe not - could gain +ve publicity from their timely action for Nissan.

Anyway, don't want to go off topic as its great news for our European friends.

Wildrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2010, 08:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
DiscoRagno is unaware they can edit their status

My car (SILVER)....with 11'000 km on track....My GT-R is the first in Italy and have an engine problem, but I don't fount any problem.
Ok, now I' wait for new engine.

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/3650/dsc0220q.jpg

Last edited by DiscoRagno; 24th January 2010 at 08:22 PM..
DiscoRagno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2010, 08:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
Zed Ed is elsewhere, mostly

Cars owned: BRZ track project
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles charlie View Post
Feel free Guy to re-read my post and quote exactly where I said there was some sort of conspiracy.....

As an owner of a car within the range of ViNs affected, I have the right for a full explanation of the problem.

That includes a simple explanation as to why UK RHD cars are not affected.

Your statement that JDM and USDM cars are not affected is not pertinent to the problem as they are not subject to EU regulations regarding Lead free metals in the affected bearings, as far as I'm aware.

Clearly the UK is part of the EU, and as such, why would our bearings be different to those placed in other EU cars?

A simple question which I have the right to ask, as my car has a VIN within the range specified.

I made no suggestion of anything. I just need more information to put my mind at ease.

So are you suggesting that I have no right to that information?

I sincerely hope not.
My VIN is bang in the middle of the affected range and I bet my car was built before 25th february too ( given it was delivered on April the 9th)

So, Nissan are saying out of 565 cars built in a given period ( assuming VINs are allocated sequentially) that 309 are compromised but 256 are not, even though some may be European market vehicles as well.

I recall waiting so long for my euro spec car to arrive, partly because Nissan said it would be different from JDM/US and now Nissan are saying not every Euro car is the same and UK cars have some similarities to JDM/US? Come on.

I presume there have been different spare part product numbers for lead versus non lead bearings? What are they?

Does anyone have a source for the UK vs EU adoption of the applicable legislation. Clearly we Brits should fight for pickled onion monster munch and the humble banger, but would we have opted out of lead free bearings. Doubt it.

Still impressed with Nissan's response but I'm with CC and would like reassurance.

Wouldn't want an engine failure
Old 24th January 2010, 08:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
Mark B is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: 997 GT3 CS / Honda S2000 race car (VTEC Challenge)
Sounds like a great deal by Nissan.