When is a big sump needed ? - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Tuning: General
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 5th August 2003, 09:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
ColinM is pondering my next car
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: Focus RS Mk3
When is a big sump needed ?

It seems that almost everyone with 500bhp+ uses a big sump. Is it only needed for high power cars or also track use ?
Old 5th August 2003, 09:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
somberg is unaware they can edit their status

Thumbs up M5

Advantages:
1) more oil in the system means that "rate of pollution" with e.g. petrol is lower
2) deeper sump lessens chance of sucking up air instead of (the much required) oil and therefore decreases chance of oil starvation

Disadvantage:
deeper sump as made by Greddy may interfere with the occasional curbstone. Strangely enough they have chosen to locate the oilplug on the righthand bottom corner under 45 degrees so that the plug is the lowest point...
Old 12th October 2003, 11:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Nismo BNR32 is unaware they can edit their status

I understand that the Greddy sump hangs about 10 mm lower than the crossmember. In your experience driving with the Greddy sump and being aware of the decreased clearance, have you hit anything to cause damage?

Old 13th October 2003, 09:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Bluey is unaware they can edit their status

Quote:
When is a big sump needed ?
When oil surge occurs.
Old 15th October 2003, 02:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
BBD
BBD is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

Cars owned: GTR34 Vspec
Greddy Sump

Not to mention it does need to be properly welded,, we had a case of oil leak from the greddy sump,, Over speed bumps it gets a little scary as well.
Old 15th October 2003, 02:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Peter is unaware they can edit their status
GTROC Member

Cars owned: Audi S6
Re: When is a big sump needed ?

Quote:
Originally posted by ColinM
It seems that almost everyone with 500bhp+ uses a big sump. Is it only needed for high power cars or also track use ?
Colin,

I don't have a sump extension fitted to my car, it makes more than 500bhp and I do more track days each year than most on here. I have yet to have a problem although as it's an engine out job, I've been waiting for that eventuality before having one fitted. Just make sure that you overfill slightly when if you go on track...
Old 15th October 2003, 04:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
BBD
New Users

Peter do you have an uprated Oil Pump ?
Old 15th October 2003, 04:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
GTROC Member

BBD,

No.... stock pump, 6 or 7 track days a year for the past 4 years. Always have new oil in though.
Old 15th October 2003, 04:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

My R32 has done about 10 track days over the last 2 years without any problems other than running hot.

My friends R32 has done probably 40 track days with no issues. Both our cars have stock sumps and baffles and sticky street tires.

2 weeks ago we were running a competition on slicks with new 355 front brakes and it kicked out a rod. During the autopsy we found all of the other bearings were damaged. It appears that oil surge is what killed it.

So my theory is that on street tires going 95% won't be a problem, but on slicks it is just a matter of time before you become a victim of oil surge.
Old 15th October 2003, 04:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nismo BNR32
...but on slicks it is just a matter of time before you become a victim of oil surge.
Yes, totally agree which is one reason why I've stayed away from them despite the enormous temptation....
Old 15th October 2003, 08:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
BBD
New Users

Asking for more Oil ?

Alright here is a little question,, what if you are asking for more oil from your engine ? some nice examples of this are an Oil Cooler, bigger turbos (twin or singel), all of these do require more oil and more circulation power eg oil Pressure.

I guess for going for a bigger Sump and/or Oil pump upgrade u need some of the above to be running safer. I do have still new in boxes an oil Cooler Oil Pump and a few extra bits and bobs the reason I have not installed them yet is because am trying to find time to install them all at the same time ,, I know an oil cooler is about a 4hr job done properly (removing intake annd all) the Oil Sump is much more difficult I am not certain you can do it with the engine still inside the car requres to remove the engine, same goes for the oil Pump, do you not think its much wiser to wait and do it all together ?

As for the sump goes some they claim that the RB26 is in danger of oil starvation under heavy G's in turning which I do strongly belive, comming to think about it why hasnt their been a Dry Sump ?
Old 15th October 2003, 08:54 PM   #12 (permalink)

It is possible to install the oil pump in the car, but you have to remove the sump to get the pump off the engine. Getting the sump off in the car is not fun at all. I watched it happen on a mates car and it was ugly. The trans has to come out to access the rear pan bolts. At which point, you may as well pull the engine.

I would remove the engine and install the sump and oil pump at the same time. It would also make sense to do any other maintenance at the same time like timing belt, water pump etc.

In the mean time I would go ahead and install the oil cooler and then do the other parts later.