Quaife 6sp Sequential - Page 2 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Tuning: General
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14th October 2010, 09:26 PM   #21 (permalink)
GT-R Glenn is aware Veilsides street R32 gtr ran 8.612 @ 172.5 MPH (Radials)
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: R32GTR /GSXR1300DatsunB310/ R33 / KTM / Gasgas / Type R EG Civic
Just posted some blurb, then realised you were refering to the sequential , not the h pattern ...
dam

Quote:
Cough...
Theres a better one that a holinger ??

Last edited by GT-R Glenn; 14th October 2010 at 09:31 PM..
GT-R Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 11:25 PM   #22 (permalink)
Chris Wilson is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: R33 GTS-t with RB26 engine and Tractive dog box. And too many race cars according to `er indoors...
I run some sequential dog `boxes in various race cars, including a track day R33 GTS-t. I always use the clutch, both up an down the `box, it is kinder, but if `box rebuilds don't bother you, up changes *MAY* be marginally quicker without the clutch, but in the wet *MAY* be more chassis unsettling, and it's definitely more cruel on the `box internals.

As for Quaife `boxes for GTR's, find a box serial number, ring Quaife and ask for an imaginary set of spares, say 1st, 3rd and 5th gears, all the dog rings and a selector shaft. Then see sense and buy something else, when they give you huge lead times or worse. Tractive will make an adaptor to run their dog boxes with a transfer box on the tail, they just need sample parts and some money, to say I am over the moon with their products and service is a gross understatement. Like so much stuff from Scandinavia, they are showing the way forward in Motorsport.
Old 15th October 2010, 02:07 AM   #23 (permalink)
Sub Boy is a nana driver

Cars owned: R32 GTR
Holinger make a flat shift switch built into the gear knob.
It moves about 2deg when you grab a gear.

Old 15th October 2010, 08:05 AM   #24 (permalink)
Adam Kindness is phu phu phu

emailed Car at Tracktive with some initial Q's. Cheers Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Sponsored by Ultralite &

'81 Porsche 911 SC 3.0
'08 Navara Outlaw

Adam Kindness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2010, 10:16 AM   #25 (permalink)

a bit dissapointed with their response - but if they are too busy, they are too busy.

-

'81 Porsche 911 SC 3.0
'08 Navara Outlaw

Old 15th October 2010, 10:19 AM   #26 (permalink)

Cars owned: R33 GTS-t with RB26 engine and Tractive dog box. And too many race cars according to `er indoors...
The second hand value of Tractive `boxes is superb, factor that into how you judge their asking price for a new one, and their development work is second to none. I know they were interested in adapting the transfer case to the back of their in line `box at one stage. I use an R33 GTS-t automatic bellhousing, they have the CAD / CAM drawings for the `box adapter plate to that bellhousing on file.
Old 15th October 2010, 10:20 AM   #27 (permalink)

If they are too busy I would say just get a Holinger. Tried and tested, choice of ratios, blah blah.
Old 20th October 2010, 11:33 PM   #28 (permalink)
mr_recall is braking the R34 build, and BIG hp parts wanted send me a PM

Location: Here, there and every where! if you cant get hold of me i am working away!
Cars owned: Audi RS2 avant. R34 GTSR, Audi RS4 avant
I have just finished building my greedy 6 speed dog box,

It is a quaife box an all I will say is I has a selector plate missing (this is no bigger than a 10 box of fags) with 6 slots in it,

That just cost £500 and a 16 week wait!

Quaife are long for bits and expensive!

Holenger is the way forward!
Old 21st October 2010, 01:48 AM   #29 (permalink)
Boosted is bending over and taking one for the team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_recall View Post
I have just finished building my greedy 6 speed dog box,

It is a quaife box an all I will say is I has a selector plate missing (this is no bigger than a 10 box of fags) with 6 slots in it,

That just cost £500 and a 16 week wait!

Quaife are long for bits and expensive!

Holenger is the way forward!

Holinger take even longer for spare parts
Old 21st October 2010, 09:35 AM   #30 (permalink)

I don't believe there's a single component of a Tractive box that I cannot have here in my post box within 2 days. Their service is brilliant. Pity they seemingly do not see a margin in doing an adaptor to run the transfer case off the back. No doubt they'd do a one off though, when they are quieter. Sometimes 2 WD can be so much simpler (and lighter...)
Old 23rd October 2010, 09:59 AM   #31 (permalink)

Chris - you seem to have a good relationship with them. Go convince them to make the kit LOL

-

'81 Porsche 911 SC 3.0
'08 Navara Outlaw

Old 23rd October 2010, 01:38 PM   #32 (permalink)

They'll make anything if you pay them They hadn't done any Skyline box at all until I sent them a bellhousing and some drawings. They'd need a complete GTR gearbox and transfer box as a pattern.
Old 23rd October 2010, 03:24 PM   #33 (permalink)

I said I'd be willing to send our spare box and transfer box.

I'll maybe get back in touch again in while. Might get someone more willing.

-

'81 Porsche 911 SC 3.0
'08 Navara Outlaw

Old 23rd October 2010, 03:30 PM   #34 (permalink)

Carl is their tech man, he sounds a bit Swedish now, but he's actually from ooop North of England. I know him well, I'll give him a ring in the week. I know they are pulled out selling the boxes they already have adaptors for. From being one of motorsport's best kept secrets they have gone on to be a fairly big player, especially in rallying.
Old 27th November 2010, 08:57 PM   #35 (permalink)
tarmac terror is Wondering why it says 'New User' below.....*confused*
New Users

Cars owned: Genuine R32 GTR; Genuine-ish X5 4.8iS; Completely fake BMW M6; Reasonably Genuine Peugeot 306 Rallye
I too am looking at the Quaife 6spd sequential for further down the line.....I reckon one of these, coupled to a shiftec paddle-shift system would be unbeatable. Couple that with a decent ECU such as Syvecs and you could have a true 2-pedal monster of a GTR.
As an aside I remember visiting the sadev stand at this years Autosport show in Brum and being VERY impressed by their raid-spec 4WD tranny....whether you could fit one to a GTR and keep the hassle-factor low would be debatable???? Still a bloody nice looking bit of kit and VERY compact!! I seem to remember though that the max torque capability seemed pretty low (or maybe I'm getting confused)

TT
R32GTR- Stage 6; Frank Baxter exhaust with K-pipe; Rick Astley cams; Dave Gahan electrics; Bjorn Ulvaeus race prep; Howard Jones gearbox upgrade; Ray Charles body mods and styling. Mapped by Glenn Medeiros.------> Beat that R35 owners with dodgy parts list sigs :)
tarmac terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2010, 11:51 PM   #36 (permalink)

yup, paddle shift sequential would be fun

-

'81 Porsche 911 SC 3.0
'08 Navara Outlaw

Old 15th April 2011, 02:14 PM   #37 (permalink)
blue34 is in a Fujimura Auto 32GTR
GTROC Member

Cars owned: R34GTR
My Quaife 6speed sequntial has just come back from a factory service, it's been stripped and checked, all fine, and re-asembled with new oil seals, reverse cable etc.. Cost 413.00GBP

I am now thinking of selling it and going back to a Getrag. Sub Boy has expressed an interest so gets first refusal, that's if it's not sold already.
(£5750.00 with digital gear indicator).
Old 15th April 2011, 10:20 PM   #38 (permalink)
Super_Dude is loving the power

How often did you need the factory service? How much abuse did it have to suffer? much street driving?

I'm considering getting one down the road but they seem to be a bit unproven. Quaife has a great reputation so I'm sure it will all be good. I would get one before an OS88 for sure.

I read SVA imports r34 is using one and making 1100+whp. If it works for them it should work for anyone
Old 16th April 2011, 09:38 AM   #39 (permalink)
tim at svs is much happier at the drag strip

Cars owned: '65Mustang,'68Camaro,'70 boss 302,'99Silverado
Hello everyone

Hope you dont mind me jumping on this thread. A little bit of history for you.
The original Quaife H-gate 6 speed was developed back in 1991 for Trust (aka GReddy) Japan. In those days the primary objective was to get an extra gear, with two overdrives (5th and 6th) so the top speed trialers could make 300kmh. It was never really designed for lots of extra strength. When you fit a new cluster of gears into any stock gear casing, you cant alter the diameter of the gears because the shaft positions cant change. So all you can do is improve the tooth design and possibly the width of the gears. All that was done as that product evolved during the '90s. Thing is though, by then most serious cars were making 750hp or more so the gears would eventually fail - due to their stock diameter. It was obvious something more serious was needed. The sequential is a completely different thing altogether and is completely different internally to the older H gate kit. Its a direct derivative of Quaifes universal 6-speed sequential, an entirely different product altogether. It was re-designed in fact to fit a new car specific 32/33 GTR casing, I know cos I lent them my car to model it on. The sequential has enormous gears by comparison to the H. I think there are about 65 sequential boxes around the world now and remarkably few spares have been supplied during the 11 years they have been out there. Spares are generally available at the moment, whereas for the older H-pattern, none have been made since 2001, so spares if not on the shelf have to be made to order, meaning much longer lead times. I think the most important thing to remember about the sequential, is its a racing transmission. It uses straight cut gears and is as noisy as you like. Not the preferred option for a daily driver really, but lets face it, there arent too many options available for the GTR. What I really wanted to do here was just answer the heresay and explain the product. The same basic principle goes for anything on the market - if the gear diameter is the same as standard, the strength is ultimately limited by that factor alone, so watch yourself spending fortunes on anything that fits into the standard casing.
The Getrag really intrigues me, so little info out there,but if you want to fit one of those in a 32/33, will need a 34 transfer and 34 gear ratios in the front and back axles, because all the ratios are completely different. As the 34 had a dual mass flywheel (as do Supras,M5's and 911 turbos), when you switch to a twin or triple with a solid flywheel, it seems to put alot of pressure on the constant meshing gears, or input driven pair as they are known. Whether these ultimately fail or just get noisier and noisier I really dont know. Getrags seem to manage 700hp quite successfully in the 34, Supra and others, so I assume it has bigger gears than the 32/33- Anyone care to comment on that ? The Quaife sequential is noisy in all gears however, as all of them are straight cut. As far as using it goes, you will either love it or hate it. It needs you to shift definitely and aggressively, mainly due to a mixture of the large gear diameter and the sequential mechanism being mounted on the side of the box. Treat it like a motorcycle gearbox, pushing it hard into gear, and you will get on with it just fine. Press it delicately and it probably wont engage the next gear up or down. What did Richard Bell say out of interest ? He hated his initially whereas Brian loved it. I sat next to Rich at that drift place in Wales and made him have a go with it properly, by about the 3rd lap he loved it. So much so that after two more sessions, he broke his lovely new engine !
Anyway, hope it was ok to post, just thought a bit of background might help
cheers, Tim
Golf Tdi
tim at svs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2011, 10:18 AM   #40 (permalink)
daytona is unaware they can edit their status
Registered

Cars owned: R32 GTR RB2.8 , Modded Suzuki GSXR 1000, Suzuki RGV500.
Very interesting info there Tim. Do you have any first hand experience of the Latest OS Box (series 2) as far as torque capability/ longevity goes? There seems to be a lot of conflicting info out there.