Sportsdriver day,plastic cone + GTR = expensive combination - Page 3 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23rd March 2010, 11:02 AM   #41 (permalink)
charles charlie is chasing a Veyron from 30-130mph
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: E36 M3 Evo, Mini Cooper S, 996 Boxster S, Caterham Super 7, Merc Tractor :(
Better still, post the part numbers for these and their connectors.

We should then be able to get a price for a set of them, then install them elsewhere away from the front bumper. You could even wire a switch inside the car which flips over the sensors when on the track.

Engine built @ RiversideRacing
Litcho rods/pistons/RaceIC/BOVs/oil cooler/susp+handling kit/front diff
Race Developments ported manifold/AT Power TBs
RF street zorst+DPs
RacingBrake BBK
Xtreme18 Clutch/Dodson 1st gear+shaft/trans brace
2015 alloys/nav upgrade/Nismo cluster
DSC susp controller
DBA front/Varis CF bonnet/2016 Lights
TTE7XX turbos = >900bhp 700lbsft 30-130mph in 8.19s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
charles charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 11:33 AM   #42 (permalink)
EvolutionVI is loving stiff brakes
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: 2017 F150 Raptor & 2017 GTR + a few more :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEINZANTIGER View Post
Rather than disconnecting and then reconnecting sensors, would it not be possible to just relocate the sensors may be 10mm more toward the inside?
I think disconecting them is much better,as you donīt know how they work....the system works from various factors.....combination from drivingspeed, degrees of impact, deceleration in "G" and other things....thats what Nissan says about it,fmpov it basicly just is not fit to purpose,not seen any other car opening the hood with a small thing like a plasic cone...

If someones GTR is faster on track then me......just watch out for flying water baloons....i will throw them out of the window onto your bumpers....so i can stay in front.....
Old 23rd March 2010, 11:55 AM   #43 (permalink)
3rd Shift is totalled

So what actually happens? I was under the presumption that once the bonnet deployed, the car would go into limp home mode thus you would have to replace the ECU? (Probably not seeing as your friend managed to tape it down and trackday it)

Old 23rd March 2010, 12:03 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Shift View Post
So what actually happens? I was under the presumption that once the bonnet deployed, the car would go into limp home mode thus you would have to replace the ECU? (Probably not seeing as your friend managed to tape it down and trackday it)
No limp mode.....just a open bonnet,it was just taped down to come to my workshop for a quick repair....,canīt track it with the hood open,you dont see anything and its not really stiff monuted once the hangers are up...

After 45 minutes everything was fine again,canīt see it now,he is back on track again
Old 23rd March 2010, 12:33 PM   #45 (permalink)
David.Yu is adjusting to life without a GT-R...
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R35 GT-R, BMW M135i 5 dr manual, 190hp Abarth 500 (wife's)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionVI View Post
No limp mode.....just a open bonnet,it was just taped down to come to my workshop for a quick repair....,canīt track it with the hood open,you dont see anything and its not really stiff monuted once the hangers are up...

After 45 minutes everything was fine again,canīt see it now,he is back on track again
Hang on, how did you fix it within 45 minutes? You had all the parts in stock? What about the bonnet ECU?
Old 23rd March 2010, 01:23 PM   #46 (permalink)
Jacey Boy is home

Cars owned: R35 GTR, 997 C2S, Impreza 2.5 STi, R33 GTR V-Spec, VX220 Turbo, Two P1's, Kawasaki ZX10R
Disconnected the gas struts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.Yu View Post
Hang on, how did you fix it within 45 minutes? You had all the parts in stock? What about the bonnet ECU?
Old 23rd March 2010, 01:25 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.Yu View Post
No parts needed....just pull the actuators out,3 screws each....clip the bonnet hangers back together again(they break on a build in area but you can reuse 100% them when you secure them with a piece of stainless steel wire.....)

job done...bonnet ecu...why do you need it,just pull the bulb
Old 23rd March 2010, 10:08 PM   #48 (permalink)
Godders is wondering what affect the GT-R has on the relativity of space and time.
GTROC Member

Cars owned: GT-R R35 Black Edition NAV in Black
... if you take out the un-used parts -> stick them on eBay at some silly high price and get a GTR rebate!
Old 14th April 2010, 08:55 AM   #49 (permalink)
donkey is learning to steer with hooves
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

not sure ther is any legal requriement for this, euro NCAP now includes pedestrian safety in its scoring system so protecting the cars occupants is only part of the story.

To get 5*'s these days you must protect the people you hit
Euro NCAP - For safer cars | Pedestrian protection

Similar standards exist throughout the world and it has significantly changed the front end of every new car; raised noses to ensure that pedestrians hit the bonnet rather than have their legs knocked from under them so they dont come through the windscreen, shielded wiper blade components and soft or breakble wiper mountings, soft bonnet and bumper parts and the removal of bullbars from SUV's and has been said earlier there must be sufficient clearence between the compressible bonnet and any solid underbonnet item. The rakish profile of the GTR would not be possible without lifters.

So perhaps it is just nissan complying with this but if someone can find a legal requirement I would be interested to read it.

However if you did disable it and then seriously injured someone (or worse) how would you feel? Apologies for the sobering post.

I'll go for the noisy Y pipe option and scare them back onto the pavement
Old 14th April 2010, 09:50 AM   #50 (permalink)
Andyuk911 is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: RS4 B7 Avant
Why can't GTROC ask Nissan if the sensor is a one hit wonder?

Then disable the system for track use

After all, they include a club booklet when you buy a car.

Old 14th April 2010, 10:46 AM   #51 (permalink)
imattersuk is unaware they can edit their status
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-GT View Post
If you think exploding bonnets are bad, have a read of this...

And no it's not April 1st..

I know lets link the GPS system directly with the exploding bonnnet...

Rich
Excellent news, all we need now then is for the mobile phone companies to make GPS enabled phones more affordable to pheasants
Old 14th April 2010, 10:47 AM   #52 (permalink)
bobd is Laughing at people who have to write their forum name twice
GTROC Member

Cars owned: R35 GTR
Thumbs down

So when we all took delivery- those who did so last year- we signed a certain piece of disclaimer paper. What we should have all really done as a collective is tell them to stick it where the sun dont shine and refuse to collect the cars till it was sorted. There have been backtracks on certain things, but brake discs consumable? As for this cone incident then how do Nissan justify pre and post track day inspections when this system is left live. Simple I think - override switch for track action or events off the public road.
The more woes I hear about the GTR the more it makes me angry that Nissan have put a car to market with a lot of ill thought out issues that should have been put to bed before sale. Ring times mean nothing if you hit a cone, squirrel, pheasant.
The ring times mean absolutely nothing in a car that cannot accomplish what it set out to with all this sh1t attached.
Oil issues, engine recalls, gearbox issues, warranty scares, cant do this, cant do that . Should have had the front end designed properly.
I have had Datsun 160jsss, 180Bsss x 2, 240z x 2, 260z x 2, Nissan 350z and GTR, but this will definately be the last one I ever buy if Nissan dont sort things out and fast!!!!!!!!! My customer loyalty has just been binned.
Rant over
Old 14th April 2010, 11:06 AM   #53 (permalink)
imattersuk is unaware they can edit their status
GTROC Member

I think the brake disc issue could be successfully challenged under consumer law ie. fair consumer expectations but nobody to date has challenged them. Interesting also that it is ALWAYS the dealers responsibility not the manufacturer which seems unfair on dealers but would explain their stance.
Old 14th April 2010, 11:24 AM   #54 (permalink)
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imattersuk View Post
I think the brake disc issue could be successfully challenged under consumer law ie. fair consumer expectations but nobody to date has challenged them. Interesting also that it is ALWAYS the dealers responsibility not the manufacturer which seems unfair on dealers but would explain their stance.
Wholeheartedly agree its on most niggly things that Nissan seem to say nothing to do with us. My CSL had front discs changed twice under warranty and the steering wheel as the alcantara was getting bobbly. Thats what I call customer service from a manufacturer. The reason I was given from the dealer was that it was down to it being a flagship model. Fair do's
Whats Nissans flagship model - The Cube?
I hope you are reading this Nissan and learning a bit about consumer expectancy, as your customer service dept stinks. Past experience before you ask and from the rest of this forum I read nothing but the same.
Old 15th April 2010, 12:00 AM   #55 (permalink)
the dentist is peed off with summer tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobd View Post
So when we all took delivery- those who did so last year- we signed a certain piece of disclaimer paper. What we should have all really done as a collective is tell them to stick it where the sun dont shine and refuse to collect the cars till it was sorted. There have been backtracks on certain things, but brake discs consumable? As for this cone incident then how do Nissan justify pre and post track day inspections when this system is left live. Simple I think - override switch for track action or events off the public road.
The more woes I hear about the GTR the more it makes me angry that Nissan have put a car to market with a lot of ill thought out issues that should have been put to bed before sale. Ring times mean nothing if you hit a cone, squirrel, pheasant.
The ring times mean absolutely nothing in a car that cannot accomplish what it set out to with all this sh1t attached.
Oil issues, engine recalls, gearbox issues, warranty scares, cant do this, cant do that . Should have had the front end designed properly.
I have had Datsun 160jsss, 180Bsss x 2, 240z x 2, 260z x 2, Nissan 350z and GTR, but this will definately be the last one I ever buy if Nissan dont sort things out and fast!!!!!!!!! My customer loyalty has just been binned.
Rant over
i agree with everything you had a rant about while on your soap box.
Old 15th April 2010, 12:14 AM   #56 (permalink)
the dentist is peed off with summer tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-GT View Post
Aaarg terrible, only a matter of time before this happened... again. Can someone please come up with a simple way of disabling pedestrian security system for when on track? Fuse pull, some passive device to plug in place of the sensor, or whatever?

Thanks

Rich
the more i find out about this car the less i want to drive it, i am not even sure i want it anymore even though i have had no problems with it after 6 months ownership.
Old 15th April 2010, 04:10 AM   #57 (permalink)
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dentist View Post
the more i find out about this car the less i want to drive it, i am not even sure i want it anymore even though i have had no problems with it after 6 months ownership.
At least we have a forum to get on a soap box, although I do not wish to do so. I would be much happier being closer to the ground saying what a great car, never heard of any issues, never had any issues, dealers are great, Nissan customer service are the best in the world bar none.
Truth is that most of the above is the entire opposite.

And the next contestant on the apprentice is =====================
The Customer Service Dept from Nissan
Sir Alan what do you think about that?
They are fired!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I will be getting rid soon!

Last edited by bobd; 15th April 2010 at 04:12 AM..
bobd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 06:42 AM   #58 (permalink)
countvonc is wanting a GT1 car as a track toy
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Cars owned: R35, Navara, Classic Scooby & Turboed MX-5, X1/9(!), now sold..Evo X (382/400)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the dentist View Post
Just enjoy the car....and dont read these post if you are easily worried.
Old 15th April 2010, 12:33 PM   #59 (permalink)
zeyd is unaware they can edit their status

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobd View Post
Rant over
+ 1 on this one
grey leather

june 2009 ... :(
zeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 11:00 PM   #60 (permalink)
londongtr is missing his R35
GTROC Member

I think it's more down to European law on car design - if anyone is interested I think this is the relavent legislation EUR-Lex - 32009R0078 - EN

As regards frontal protection systems it states that new cars need to adhere to sections 5+6 of Annex 1 - I don't know enough about the design of the car to say whether what is present without the exploding bonnet satisfies the law or to be legal the car needs to have the protection system.....perhaps someone might like to take a look?

At the end of the day if the car is legal without the exploding bonnet then game on, if not then it might get complicated if you are in an accident and the thing doesn't go off.

Just my 2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey View Post
not sure ther is any legal requriement for this, euro NCAP now includes pedestrian safety in its scoring system so protecting the cars occupants is only part of the story.

To get 5*'s these days you must protect the people you hit
Euro NCAP - For safer cars | Pedestrian protection

Similar standards exist throughout the world and it has significantly changed the front end of every new car; raised noses to ensure that pedestrians hit the bonnet rather than have their legs knocked from under them so they dont come through the windscreen, shielded wiper blade components and soft or breakble wiper mountings, soft bonnet and bumper parts and the removal of bullbars from SUV's and has been said earlier there must be sufficient clearence between the compressible bonnet and any solid underbonnet item. The rakish profile of the GTR would not be possible without lifters.

So perhaps it is just nissan complying with this but if someone can find a legal requirement I would be interested to read it.

However if you did disable it and then seriously injured someone (or worse) how would you feel? Apologies for the sobering post.

I'll go for the noisy Y pipe option and scare them back onto the pavement