My R33 GTR V-Spec - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Skyline / Stagea Projects
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10th December 2010, 06:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Red Duke is renovating and upgrading!
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: QM1 R33 GTR & Toyota GT86 daily
My R33 GTR V-Spec

Firstly, I'd like to say a massive thanks to Ron at RK Tuning for sorting out my car. It's been a long 6-7 weeks without her!

Secondly, I'm not sure if my car warrants a 'project' thread, but I wasn't sure where else to put it!

It all started when I bought my car in July, a supposedly "low mileage" GTR with under 40k on the clock. Some said it looked to be higher mileage due to the paint wear on the plenum and engine covers, while others said it has happened to them through cleaning, pressure washing, etc.

Anyway, after 2000+ miles of happy driving, the worst happened. Number 6 bearing thought it might be nice to take a holiday from its place in the engine, and subsequently got annihilated by the rest of the internals! I had virtually no warning. No prior noises, smoke, nothing. Oil temperature had crept up, but water was fine, so nothing glaringly obvious that anything was about to go bang... Que a slight "ticking" noise (sounded like a stone in my tyre) quickly becoming a full on "CLAT! CLAT!" noise which turned out to be the piston hitting the head.

Bugger.

So, I had my car recovered from work down to Ron at RK. The bad news got worse after he'd got my engine out. Basically, it had never been apart, and was as Nissan assembled it, 16 years ago! Hence a dirty, smelly engine was discovered, along with a damaged crank and #6 piston. Add to that she was also running twin grenades - yes, standard ceramic turbos! - leaving those on with a freshly rebuilt engine just wasn't going to happen, especially after potentially having a bearing leaving metal flakes throughout my engine and oil lines... Ron also found the car to be running a standard clutch, which I had found was starting to slip every so often, nothing major, but it wasn't going to get better with more power coming in the future, so that had to go too!

Double bugger.

Anyway, that is water under the bridge, and as I said all along prior to this, I've no intention of selling my car on. Ron asked if I just wanted it put back together with standard bits, but after a long chat, we decided on rebuilding her to my spec (well, mostly based on Ron's advice! Lol ) and ending up with a fast street car as I don't intend on dragging her, or doing very many track days, bar a few laps of the 'Ring. So, the new bits were ordered, and Ron has been working his magic on my car for a few weeks. I went down to pick her up today, I can't believe how much I missed that Skyline feeling!

While my spec probably isn't as interesting or insane as other peoples, I should be seeing a very useable 500bhp+ by the time she's run in. The engine has been built to take 6-700bhp, so there is always the option for a little bit 'extra' in the future, with the correct mods of course.

Spec:

Woosner 86.5mm Pistons & Rings
Steel Rods
New Nissan Crankshaft
New Nissan Cambelt
N1 Oil Pump
ACL Race Bearings
HKS Head Gasket
Block Bored & Skimmed
Garrett 2860-7 Turbos
HKS Twin Plate Clutch (2nd hand, low mileage / use from Ron - cheers matey! )

I also had the engine covers and inlet done in a black crinkle finish, to keep the fairly standard look. The centre cover has been left off (and not crinkle coated) to aid in getting the heat off of the coilpacks, but I might modify it and then get it coated to keep the air flow to the coil packs, but tidy up the edges of the engine covers. I don't really like the 'topless' look!

The next thing is running the car in for 1000 miles. I've only got 975 to go! More snow is forecast though, so I doubt she'll be seeing much of the road until at least January now, I don't mind the cold, it's the threat of getting stuck at work 70 miles from home if it snows, especially with Toyo R888's on. Nor do I want her getting covered in salt!

Once the 1000 miles are up, she'll be going back to Ron for an oil change, a Link ECU and a remap. I've also got a decat to go on, and I might have a think about getting some hard pipes for the intercooler too, money permitting! More importantly though is checking the fuelling side, as I might need a new fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator and bigger injectors, depending on the results of the mapping, and how hard the current (standard) set up is working.

So, that's my story so far! I had the intention of having the engine rebuilt for more power at some point, I just wasn't expecting it to be a few months into my ownership, lol. Other than that, and a blowing front pipe picked up on the MOT, she's in pretty good nick. a couple of minor rust spots coming up on the top of the strut towers, but I'll be getting those treated and resprayed at some point anyway, so I'm not too concerned at the moment.

She just needs a bloody good clean and polish now, which I was going to do before #6 went bang! Oh well! I'll also be adding an oil catch tank asap to stop all the shite building up in my new turbos, and I wouldn't mind a front cooling panel, a new radiator would be cool to go with that, and then there is the front splitter that needs replacing at some point, maybe with a carbon one, and I also need centre caps for my TE37's, the modified Twin Turbo pipe...

Who said GTR ownership was expensive!?

Last edited by Mook; 15th December 2010 at 08:32 PM..
Red Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 10:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
GTR-Dreamer is skint
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Those Toyo's must be really nice winter tires?
Old 10th December 2010, 10:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Actually they did suprisingly well coming back from Ron's today, still loads of thick ice around his way off the main road! Although I wasn't exactly pushing the car much over 20mph over that! Lol

Old 11th December 2010, 09:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wills_GunR33 is mission Zed.......

Cars owned: Series 3 R33 GTR, Datsun 260z, MTM Audi TT mk1, Heico kitted Volvo S40R.
Sorry to hear about your misfortune buddy but really refreshing to hear about someone who just gets on with it and moves on. Too many people just rant and rave all day long that they have been hard done by. Youve had bad luck, been lied too but have just got on with it and for that you have my respect. wish you all the best with the car from now on. Im sure you will have huge fun.

Looking smart
Old 11th December 2010, 02:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Thanks Will.

Aye it's one of those things really! I had my Mitsubishi FTO GPX prior to this for nearly 7 years, 100,000 miles of abuse, and it never failed once bar an alternator belt which snapped. There were plenty of others in the OC that had the 'common' faults like a leaking heater matrix, or central locking that would pack up, etc. but I never had any issues. I guess it's just Karma catching up with me, lol.

I feel sorry for the guy I bought the GTR from really, he'd spent about £4k on on new wheels, top spec alarm, and a very nice ICE install for the car. He was almost in tears when I drove her away, so I have no doubt he honestly didn't know about the cars real history.

With the upgrades the car had when he got it - Greddy Profec B boost controller, big ARC intercooler, HKS Hyper Medallion exhaust, etc. I do wonder if the car previously had a tuned engine in to begin with, and either blew, or was swapped out either over here or in Japan. The BIMTA check didn't show anything wrong with the car, and the mileage was also deemed to be correct, so who knows? Either way, it has saved me from buying the wheels and a few of the Stage 1 upgrades I wanted to get, so in a way, I've not spent too much more rebuilding the engine, than I would have done buying the wheels, alarm, stage 1 parts, etc. That's what I tell myself and the missus anyway!

... Meanwhile, prior to the engine rebuild ...

With the original splitter being a bit battered from the snow in February when the guy got caught in London, and having to drive all the way home to Worthing (near Brighton!) it ended up as a bit of a snow plough!

Oops!

So, I had a trawl of the forums, found a used splitter in artic white, but it had sold before I got to it!
I had a look on eBay, and found a new (Nissan copy) splitter which looked perfect...

While it looked ok, none of the fitment holes had been drilled, and half of them weren't even marked on the splitter! Luckily my dad is pretty good with things like this, and he spent a morning getting it all lined up and drilled to fit properly. It was a real pig of a job as he had to attach the splitter with tape, and drill upwards to get the holes lined up properly!

It didn't come out too badly at all really, and even just in the standard gel coat white, the colour match was, weirdly, perfect!

The fitment wasn't quite right though, the angle of the edges didn't line up right with the rest of the car, and the rear was about 1/4" away from the end of the front bumper. The front lined up nicely though, despite all that. I didn't think the splitter did the car justice really, so once again, my dad stepped in with his tub of filler, some black spray paint and spent the next 8-10 hours repairing the damaged original splitter:

A massive improvement over the state of the original one! More so considering it started in three bits! I quite like it in black, but as I'm still not 100% happy with it, I might still get another splitter at some point. I'd love to have the JUN body kit, but I've read that fitment is a bit iffy at best, so I might have a rethink on that, and look at something else. I won't do anything until I can afford a full respray (staying white) for the car anyway, so that'll also give me some more time to consider my options.

As we all know the standard GTR lights are pretty poor, much like the FTO lights! So, my job for next week will be fitting these:

(Pic from Knight Racer / Google Images)

Old 13th December 2010, 11:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Other bits to do over Christmas: I've ordered the dash LED bulbs from this thread, also ice white side light bulbs and silicone PIAA wiper blades! Hoping they'll come tomorrow while I'm fitting the HID kit, so I'll try and get some pics up, dash / gauge lighting should be vastly improved, going by Alex's results!

And getting rid of the foglight from the rear would be nice, I'd prefer the inner brakelights to be my fogs instead.

Last edited by Mook; 15th December 2010 at 08:33 PM..
Old 13th December 2010, 11:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jags is unaware they can edit their status

Nice looking 33. Convert one of the reversing lights to be a fog light and keep all of the brake lights as brake lights so all four come on when you press the pedal.
Old 13th December 2010, 11:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Hi5
Hi5 is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: R69 DPST
I would paint the splitter matt black personally
Old 14th December 2010, 09:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Jags / Hi5 - both great ideas, I'll probably do the fog to reverse light mod, I think I should be able to extend the wiring from the fog light to go up to the right hand reverse light, and use a red LED or bulb instead?

Hi5: Not sure about matt black, I did consider it (and a carbon splitter) but I think I'll eventually go back to a white one intead.

I've also been pretty busy today!

Sidelights didn't turn up today, but they'll also be going in when they do, they're 'ice white' so should also match the new HID's. One of the bulb holders is playing up on the gauge cluster, hence the light went out again after I put everything back together! I've just got to adjust the contacts slightly to get a tighter fit, either that or I'll buy a new holder and bulb. The difference they make is fantastic, sadly the aircon looks a little bit dim now! So that'll be the next job!

We also did a bit of work on my coilpack cover:

Before:

After:

It isn't finished yet, the whole thing needs rubbing down and finishing in the crackle paint to match my engine covers, and I'll probably also add some black mesh to finish it off. I don't like not having the cover on, but I also want to allow the heat to escape from the coilpacks. Seen a few others done like this and I like them a lot!

And finally...

I got the R out of GT-ART (it basically fell off with little persuasion!) but the rest are stuck fast, so they'll need a bit more work, probably a gentle heat up with a hair dryer to release the glue, without ****ing the paint up!

Last edited by Red Duke; 14th December 2010 at 09:51 PM..
Old 15th December 2010, 11:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
Mikeydinho is well Zealou5

Cars owned: R33 GT-R V-Spec
Saw this car awhile back at GT-ART had different wheels on it tho, does it still have the full leather interior?
Old 15th December 2010, 12:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

It certainly does.

Last edited by Red Duke; 15th December 2010 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: Broken link
Old 15th December 2010, 01:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
samgtr is Alhumdilillah

Cars owned: Honda Prelude 2.2 Vtec, Nissan pulsar Gtir, BMW E39 M5, R33 GTR,
wow i love the interior looks comfy.
Old 15th December 2010, 02:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
blue34 is in a Fujimura Auto 32GTR
GTROC Member

Cars owned: R34GTR
After over ten years in storage on behalf of it's owner(s), for whatever reason.. It was eventually sold. The new owner, used it regularly throughout the winter. This owner then sold it on to you and after 2000 miles you had a bearing failure...

GtaRt didn't import it, just stored it, didn't work on it other than regular fluid changes and the previous owner prior to you presumably didn't report any bearing problems when he sold it to you?

Look everyone knows I've had a long association with GTaRt like many others, but why would you want to publicly trash GTaRt's reputation over this? how are they at fault? you didn't buy it from them and it was running fine when you bought it? don't understand?

Last edited by blue34; 15th December 2010 at 02:20 PM..
blue34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2010, 02:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue34 View Post
After over ten years in storage on behalf of it's owner(s), for whatever reason.. It was eventually sold. The new owner, used it regularly throughout the winter. This owner then sold it on to you and after 2000 miles you had a bearing failure...

GtaRt didn't import it, just stored it, didn't work on it other than regular fluid changes and the previous owner prior to you presumably didn't report any bearing problems when he sold it to you?

Look everyone knows I've had a long association with GTaRt like many others, but why would you want to publicly trash GTaRt's reputation over this? how are they at fault?
Im not if you think i am, cant see how my comments are, i take my car to them every now and then and never had any problems, could chat all day to Gary about cars he has sooooo much to tell
Old 15th December 2010, 02:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeydinho View Post
Im not if you think i am, cant see how my comments are, i take my car to them every now and then and never had any problems, could chat all day to Gary about cars he has sooooo much to tell
lol not you mikey - the original poster has made a pretty bad accusation at the start of the thread

Last edited by blue34; 15th December 2010 at 02:26 PM..
Old 15th December 2010, 02:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
Hi5
Hi5 is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: R69 DPST
to be fair, he's entitled to an opinion, and no-one had really picked up on his opinion until you pointed out
Old 15th December 2010, 02:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi5 View Post
to be fair, he's entitled to an opinion, and no-one had really picked up on his opinion until you pointed out
Well I did think about whether or not to say anything but that line in the first post didn't sit well with me as gtart didn't import it or tune it or sell it to him? so why say it?

Last edited by blue34; 15th December 2010 at 02:40 PM..
Old 15th December 2010, 02:38 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue34 View Post
lol not you mikey - the original poster has made a pretty bad accusation at the start of the thread
oh
Old 15th December 2010, 03:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

As per my later posts, I'm really glad I've had the chance to talk to Gary about the car, and I'm happy to say I'll be keeping her for a very long time. I should have talked to him like I intended to when I bought the car really! I think they call it "Sod's Law"!

Cheers for his number Malc, and my apologies for not thinking about what I said / how it could be taken out of context. Glad you did say something about it or I'd not have spoken to Gary!

Last edited by Red Duke; 15th December 2010 at 08:55 PM..
Old 15th December 2010, 03:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Yes, Sam. The leather is loooooovely! Bit cold on chilly days, and sweaty in the summer, but I love it. I've worn the right drivers side upper bolster a little bit getting in and out of the car (I'm 6'3") but I should be able to repair that or get a good body shop / upholsterer to sort that out for me.

Last edited by Red Duke; 15th December 2010 at 08:55 PM..