lambo vs gtr - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19th February 2011, 08:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
geedee is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

lambo vs gtr

lambo vs gtr
Old 19th February 2011, 08:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
andyc is ready
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Strange first post?
Old 19th February 2011, 09:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Lambo vs GT-R

I am due to change my LP560-4 in March and after reading all the tests and data on the GT-R I am very impressed.
A couple of things do worry me though.Are the staggering acceleration figures just down to the launch control and low gearing but on say a B road would my Lambo walk all over it due to its lighter weight,mid engine and extra power.
Do you get what you pay for or is the GT-R really that good.
If money wasn't a problem which would you choose between the two?

Old 19th February 2011, 09:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Stevie76 is at stage 4.25+FMIC and counting

Cars owned: Current: Stage 4.25 DMG R35, 2014 Impreza WRX STi, 1992 205 Mi16, Pimped 320d MSport Touring, BMW S1000RR HP4C
On a 'B' road i think your Lambo might struggle with the GT-R.....

You can get 3.5 sec 60mph times without using the LC....its is that good!
Old 19th February 2011, 09:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
w8pmc is loving his new M5
GTROC Member

Cars owned: Previous, RS6, E60 M5, B7 RS4, Storm White 2010 R35, Audi A8 Exec. Now Monte Carlo Blue (DMS Stage 2) 2015 F10 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by geedee View Post
I am due to change my LP560-4 in March and after reading all the tests and data on the GT-R I am very impressed.
A couple of things do worry me though.Are the staggering acceleration figures just down to the launch control and low gearing but on say a B road would my Lambo walk all over it due to its lighter weight,mid engine and extra power.
As a Marque, the Lamborghini is always gonna win over a Nissan & if they were the same price I'd take an LP560-4 over my GT-R & I'd be amazed if anyone thought differently, however it's the price difference that gives the win to the GT-R. I'd not be happy living with Lamborghini running costs given the much lower price of R8 services etc. but that's life I guess.

What I can tell you though is that the Lamborghini would struggle to match the GT-R until you were well over 150mph & by that time it likely too late to catch it up.

I've not yet launched mine using Launch Control, only regular bury the pedal launches but I data logged a 3.12sec 0-60 with a normal launch & the only mods so far are a custom tune & Milltek "Y" pipe, so the figures speak for themselves.

However if you'd like to swap then I'm up for it
MY15 LCi F10 M5 (DMS Stage 2 Tuned) in Monte Carlo Blue With Extended Sakhir Orange Interior. Options: Bootlid Operation Powered, Loudspeaker System Harman Kardon, Reversing Assist Camera, Surround View, Universal Remote Control, Internet & Sun Protection Glass

Last edited by w8pmc; 19th February 2011 at 09:19 PM..
w8pmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 09:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies.
How have you found the GT-R on reliability with the various stages of tune.
Old 19th February 2011, 09:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
GTROC Member

Cars owned: Previous, RS6, E60 M5, B7 RS4, Storm White 2010 R35, Audi A8 Exec. Now Monte Carlo Blue (DMS Stage 2) 2015 F10 M5
I've only had the Custom Tune on for a couple of days, but it's ****in awesome. The tune is well within the cars tolerance so no reason I'd need to worry. Got a Titan full zorst going on next week & at that point I know I'll be totally satisfied

With the tune it's actually nicer to drive under normal load as well as providing the extra performance
MY15 LCi F10 M5 (DMS Stage 2 Tuned) in Monte Carlo Blue With Extended Sakhir Orange Interior. Options: Bootlid Operation Powered, Loudspeaker System Harman Kardon, Reversing Assist Camera, Surround View, Universal Remote Control, Internet & Sun Protection Glass
Old 19th February 2011, 09:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
bobel is testing the limits of adhesion

Cars owned: R35, X5
Speaking personally I think the real difference is the technical achievement that the GTR is, this may not mean much to some people but to me that fact that a company can build a car of such technical brilliance that only requires 500bhp give or take to match and often beat cars such as the aforementioned lambo is the real appeal, it's a technical master piece unparalleled in my opinion. No offense to the lambo but it has done little to move the Supercar game on, also if your in that Money bracket already treat yourself to a GTR, you can drive it for a year and sell it and still be quids in on the depreciation you'll see on a lambo or pretty much anything else in that bracket.
Old 19th February 2011, 09:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Has anyone run 600+ hp for say 20,000 miles without problems.
This is the tune I would run if I bought one.
Old 19th February 2011, 09:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
madadd is unaware they can edit their status
GTROC Member

Cars owned: Mini Cooper S, SVT Lightning, R35-GTR
Quote:
I know it isnt quite the same car (but its very close relative), but I got a go in an 08 Gallardo recently down the runway at Bruntingthorpe. I had always put the Gallardo on somewhat of a Pedestal thinking that one day I would advance to one.

I was very underwhelmed! Disappointed even. (This was the car I have idolised for so long!!). My GTR felt more solid at speed, more 'glued down' to the road and more urgent. (I also got a slightly higher top speed on that day). I felt that the interior fit and finish of the Gallardo was significantly below that of my GT-R. (well, to be honest, I felt the interior quality of it was bloody awful!)

I didnt expect to come away thinking that. If they were priced the same, I would pick the GT-R. But you still cant shake the fact that one is a Lambo and one a Datsun.

All that said, the LP560-4 may be a considerably more refined product.

...Mad
Old 19th February 2011, 09:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madadd View Post
I know it isnt quite the same car (but its very close relative), but I got a go in an 08 Gallardo recently down the runway at Bruntingthorpe. I had always put the Gallardo on somewhat of a Pedestal thinking that one day I would advance to one.

I was very underwhelmed! Disappointed even. (This was the car I have idolised for so long!!). My GTR felt more solid at speed, more 'glued down' to the road and more urgent. (I also got a slightly higher top speed on that day). I felt that the interior fit and finish of the Gallardo was significantly below that of my GT-R. (well, to be honest, I felt the interior quality of it was bloody awful!)

I didnt expect to come away thinking that. If they were priced the same, I would pick the GT-R. But you still cant shake the fact that one is a Lambo and one a Datsun.

All that said, the LP560-4 may be a considerably more refined product.

...Mad
Was that at VMAX? Missed the last one but hoping to check out my Stage 2 at the next VMAX
Old 19th February 2011, 10:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
madadd is unaware they can edit their status
GTROC Member

Cars owned: Mini Cooper S, SVT Lightning, R35-GTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by w8pmc View Post
Was that at VMAX? Missed the last one but hoping to check out my Stage 2 at the next VMAX
Yes Vmax. Probably see you there then as I need to see how fast I can go this time round (When you were there last week, mine was the DMG car at Rod's).

...Mad
Old 19th February 2011, 10:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
AndyBrew is feeling very tired!
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Cars owned: Audi A6 Avant 2.0 TDi, Porsche Boxster S, R35 GT-R and F430 Scuderia
I was taken out in a gallardo a few years ago and thought it was superb! I always find it hard to be objective about a car I can't afford lol! Personally I think you would need to drive a GTR and then you'll know for sure

I love my car to bits it's a fantastic piece of engineering, but it's got soul I can't explain it easily!
Old 19th February 2011, 10:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madadd View Post
Yes Vmax. Probably see you there then as I need to see how fast I can go this time round (When you were there last week, mine was the DMG car at Rod's).

...Mad
Cool, I'm back there on the 28th having a GTC Titan cat-back system & Titan "Y" pipe fitted
Old 18th March 2011, 04:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
mugearsuk is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: GT-R '10 Gungrey
I can definitely agree with most of the above. I recently took a lovely white Lambo Gallardo Spyder for the weekend (club rental) and actually missed my GT-R!

Fundamental difference... The Lambo attracts eyes from the girls whilst the R35 gets attention from the boys...
Old 18th March 2011, 05:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
OldBob is trying to sell the pork
Registered

Cars owned: Currently:911.2 Turbo S, Cayman S, Cayman R, Mk7Golf R, Seat Ibiza FR
Quote:
Originally Posted by mugearsuk View Post
I can definitely agree with most of the above. I recently took a lovely white Lambo Gallardo Spyder for the weekend (club rental) and actually missed my GT-R!

Fundamental difference... The Lambo attracts eyes from the girls whilst the R35 gets attention from the boys...
True! women see my car and most love it..then I tell them what it is and the entusiasm drops.
Old 18th March 2011, 05:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
saucyboy is Enjoying every journey!!

Cars owned: Noble M12 GTO-3, 996 Turbo, Now- 172 Cup, R32 GT-R, R35 GT-R
I think the answer re comparing the performance of the Lambo vs the GTR lie's in this video

YouTube - Britain's best driver's car [Autocar]

If memory serves me right I think the Lambo and GTR are just after half way through the vid.

I believe it was an early GTR that had a limiter but it still manage to beat the lambo across the tight sections by quite some margin. It was only the fact that it was limited to 112 or there abouts that stopped it winning overall. VERY impressive stuff. Lambo does sound gorgeous though!!

Jimbo
Old 18th March 2011, 05:58 PM   #18 (permalink)
kiders is fixing another gtr. when will it end
GTROC Member

Cars owned: R34 v spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucyboy View Post
I think the answer re comparing the performance of the Lambo vs the GTR lie's in this video

YouTube - Britain's best driver's car [Autocar]

If memory serves me right I think the Lambo and GTR are just after half way through the vid.

I believe it was an early GTR that had a limiter but it still manage to beat the lambo across the tight sections by quite some margin. It was only the fact that it was limited to 112 or there abouts that stopped it winning overall. VERY impressive stuff. Lambo does sound gorgeous though!!

Jimbo

that was a good vid to wach
Old 18th March 2011, 06:15 PM   #19 (permalink)
David.Yu is adjusting to life without a GT-R...
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R35 GT-R, BMW M135i 5 dr manual, 190hp Abarth 500 (wife's)
Quote:
Has anyone run 600+ hp for say 20,000 miles without problems.
This is the tune I would run if I bought one.
Mine has been at 600 or thereabouts for a year and a half and 10,000 miles and ZERO issues.

I've driven a couple of (early) Gallardos and was underwhelmed to be honest. Love the looks and the noise, but the handling was unpredictable with understeer on some corners and snap oversteer on others, and the acceleration was not in the same league as even a stock GT-R up to 130 at least.

Great sense of occasion, but in every driving aspect, the GT-R is superior.
I am prepared to believe that an LP570-4 Superleggera is a far more thrilling drive though and would happily swap my GT-R for one of those!
Old 18th March 2011, 06:18 PM   #20 (permalink)
Guy
Guy is here.
Registered

Cars owned: Have owned R32/33/34/35, Porsche 964/993RS/996GT2 Ruf/997GT2, plus some Lambo/Ferrari/Alpina/BMW etc
I've owned both (stock R35 and Tubi'd '04 Gallardo).

The GTR is the faster car, more practical, better equipped and far more driveable to and beyond the limit. Far better on track.

However, the Lambo is a Lambo and that means that every drive is special and you'll get a respect you never will in a Nissan.

On most numeric levels the GTR just beats the Lambo, but on subjective and emotional terms the Lambo beats the GTR. The owner of the GTR forum has owned a Gallardo but never an R35 GTR, which is an interesting observation!

If you've owned one though you should try the other, they are both great cars, similar on paper, but very different propositions to own.