Aeromotive 340lph and Deatchwerks 300+lph in tank fuel pumps - Page 3 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Tuning: General
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25th May 2011, 05:54 PM   #41 (permalink)
D-Ranged is building a twin turbo LS3 RX7!
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: R33 GTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGT View Post
what did you use to fit/seal the pick-up???

how has it run since the live wire mod??
do you not think it could just be the standard power and relay playing up??
which specific pump did you go for???

Tib
Havent run it yet as couldnt get it to start and the fix for that was the live volt mod, but where we pulled it in and out the tank quite a few times the jb weld had cracked and started leaking fuel.

We tried swapping the relays and that made no difference.

Its the deutchworks pump and we used JB Weld.
Old 25th May 2011, 05:57 PM   #42 (permalink)
Marky_GTSt is a Fire Engine
Registered

Cars owned: Skyline GTSt
I used the original pickup pipe for the car, but rather than use a chemical adhesive (Which are not allways reliable in petrol) I very carefully drilled a small hole and used a screw of exactly the correct length to secure the pickup. The screw was only just tightened and its the tight fit in the hole that stops it coming loose. Might be worth considering this mod next time its out.

Last edited by Marky_GTSt; 25th May 2011 at 06:00 PM..
Marky_GTSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 06:52 PM   #43 (permalink)

JB Weld is fine for petrol. Its where it was getting knocked about.

It should be fine friday (touch wood, cross fingers etc etc)

Old 25th May 2011, 07:39 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Ranged View Post
JB Weld is fine for petrol. Its where it was getting knocked about.

It should be fine friday (touch wood, cross fingers etc etc)
Yes, I have used it in the past to patch up tanks, I was just offering an alternative

Have you seen JB Kwik btw ? sets in about 20 mins instead of the hours it takes normally.
Old 25th May 2011, 08:25 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky_GTSt View Post
Yes, I have used it in the past to patch up tanks, I was just offering an alternative

Have you seen JB Kwik btw ? sets in about 20 mins instead of the hours it takes normally.
No ive not seen that, my mate is doing it for me which is why im not getting it back till friday as im at work.

Will let him know about that JB Kwik though as i could of had the car back tonight then lol.
Old 31st May 2011, 11:06 PM   #46 (permalink)
armt350 is unaware they can edit their status

FWIW yesterday I ran into the same problem with the DW pump. I took it out moved the pump about 4 inches lower on the fuel pump bracket and wrapped it in a rubber fuel hose then used hose clamps to secure it to the bracket. It allowed the sock to extend lower down in the tank. It started right up and drove all the way to the top of the E line before I filled up the tank.
Old 31st May 2011, 11:08 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by armt350 View Post
FWIW yesterday I ran into the same problem with the DW pump. I took it out moved the pump about 4 inches lower on the fuel pump bracket and wrapped it in a rubber fuel hose then used hose clamps to secure it to the bracket. It allowed the sock to extend lower down in the tank. It started right up and drove all the way to the top of the E line before I filled up the tank.
Sorry for the late reply.

That's what we did to mine and its now fine.
Old 30th July 2011, 12:08 AM   #48 (permalink)
ZyBeR is warming upp

What are peoples opinion now after a few month of use?
Old 30th July 2011, 01:06 AM   #49 (permalink)

Mine works great, still running stock ecu though so overfuelling like a bastard needs a map.

Would recommend it. There not loud either.
Old 20th October 2011, 12:09 PM   #50 (permalink)
pure_jax is unaware they can edit their status

I need to upgrade my R32 GTR fuel pump asap and wanted something that could handle up to 600bhp, Are these any good and easy to fit as I was just going to go for the Apexi one as its supposed to be good for 300lph. Also Would I need a remap after fitting it?
Old 20th October 2011, 12:22 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered

In response to a few of the questions above.

Done about 1300 miles since I rebuilt the engine including the new pump, At the same time I did the fuel pump power bypass too.

There have been 0 problems, It seems to have delivered a strong, regular and quiet flow of fuel seemingly flawlessly. There is a nice, strong hum from the pump on switching the ignition on, once the engine is running though the pump cant be heard.

Im not running anything like 600bhp though, more likely about 400ish (based on guesstimates). But if they say it can flow for 600 then I would tend to believe them.
Old 20th October 2011, 12:24 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by pure_jax View Post
I need to upgrade my R32 GTR fuel pump asap and wanted something that could handle up to 600bhp, Are these any good and easy to fit as I was just going to go for the Apexi one as its supposed to be good for 300lph. Also Would I need a remap after fitting it?
If you have the same fuel pressure and injectors as before then im not sure you need to remap. If you change other things like Injectors/Fuel pressure etc then you will need to.
Old 21st October 2011, 10:24 PM   #53 (permalink)
Clive S-P is RB26 deficient
GTROC Member

Cars owned: GT-R34 V-Spec & Stagea 260RS
Can you explain what the fuel pump power bypass is please and why is it a good idea?

Some posts mention JB weld: will I need it, what is it and where do I buy it?

I'm about to order one of the DW pumps too, but have not fitted a fuel pump before.

Thanks

Or

Burning through the world's resources!

... if your Latin is a bit rusty!
Clive S-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2011, 10:35 PM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive S-P View Post
Can you explain what the fuel pump power bypass is please and why is it a good idea?

Some posts mention JB weld: will I need it, what is it and where do I buy it?

I'm about to order one of the DW pumps too, but have not fitted a fuel pump before.

Thanks
I had to bypass the fuel voltage regulator as i couldnt get the car to start sometimes as it wasnt giving the pump enough voltage. Bypassing it gives it a constant feed instead.

In the end we fit my pump at the bottom of the tank holder instead and custom mounted it as the jb weld wasnt holding the original filter sock so we used the filter sock that came with it instead which was very short.
Old 24th March 2012, 09:35 PM   #55 (permalink)
dave campbell is dc jdm

Cars owned: r33gtr & r32gtr & ps13 silvia
DW 300 pump

bought one of these pumps after reading this thed,as you seem to all have a good exsperiance with it.I fitted mine the other day but could not get it to pick up the fuel.I mounted the pump in the OE possition had no luck.Took pump out to see if there was any suction but was very weak,so submerged the pump in fuel and it started working.But soon as i put it back car wouldn't start again.Ended up putting old pump back in,car started straight away.Has anyone had similar problems? I will put pictures up to show how i done it.
Old 25th March 2012, 09:36 AM   #56 (permalink)
MrGT is think I might want a r32 gtr
GTROC Member

Cars owned: series 2 R33 GTR (cold climate spec)
Re-read the post directly above yours.
People have mounted the pump lower.

Tib

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave campbell View Post
bought one of these pumps after reading this thed,as you seem to all have a good exsperiance with it.I fitted mine the other day but could not get it to pick up the fuel.I mounted the pump in the OE possition had no luck.Took pump out to see if there was any suction but was very weak,so submerged the pump in fuel and it started working.But soon as i put it back car wouldn't start again.Ended up putting old pump back in,car started straight away.Has anyone had similar problems? I will put pictures up to show how i done it.
Old 25th March 2012, 08:43 PM   #57 (permalink)
dave campbell is dc jdm

Cars owned: r33gtr & r32gtr & ps13 silvia
i thought you could put it in the OE possition as some have on here and have problems with the sock falling off,and then lowerd the pump.
Old 28th June 2012, 02:59 PM   #58 (permalink)
DrGtr is unaware they can edit their status

what max hp did you manage to make with this pump?
Old 8th December 2013, 02:19 PM   #59 (permalink)
LongRat is machining custom alloy wheels

Cars owned: 1994 Toyota MR2 turbo, 1994 R32 GT-R
I've fitted the Aeromotive 340 pump into my R32. I took the car to MGT Racing to get some injectors fitted and get the car mapped on the new fuel system. It got to the point where it was making about 430 HP at the wheels, and it was clear to see the top end leaning out slightly. It was getting worse with each pull, to the point where I was only able to safely drive away on 0.8 bar of boost. Full credit to Garth and Mark at MGT for staying until 7.30pm to make sure my car was driveable home (130 miles away).
Anyway, they had direct wired my pump to make sure that old wiring wasn't the cause of the problem, and once home I changed the fuel filter and pressure regulator. Car was getting worse to the point where even slight throttle application was causing coughing and spluttering - an inline fuel pressure gauge read drops to almost nothing when this happened. I ended up buying an unused Deatschwerks pump from Cris on the forum. It is basically identical to the Aeromotive apart from differently coloured end mouldings. Once fitted, my car runs VERY nicely. Now just need another run up to MGT...

Anyway, to help people with this pump installation, here are a couple of pics of the process. This is fitting into an R32 GTR tank.

First, a picture of the standard pump, cradle, wiring and filter sock attached.

Here is the Aeromotive pump. I used a large jubilee clip to clamp it into the standard cradle. To create a suitable slot to retain the jubilee clip, I heated the strap part with a blowtorch and melted a clean slot into the cradle.

Here is the standard intake and filter sock fitted to the Aeromotive pump inlet. I held it on there with a small M3 screw through the intake pipe. I drilled it and tapped it first, as there isn't much material in that blue pipe and I didn't want to split it.

Mounting the pump at the right height is pretty easy with the jubilee clip method as the pump is free to move up and down in the cradle a lot further.
Old 9th December 2013, 09:21 AM   #60 (permalink)

Its good to know you are having good results with the Deatchworks! I am going to be getting mine mapped in January/February with a single turbo so will be good to see if it holds out!