I need help getting my mind around buying a GTR - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31st March 2011, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Adamantium is apparently poisonous to Wolverine - who knew?
Registered

Cars owned: Audi S5 3.0TFSi, Audi Q5 3.0TDi
I need help getting my mind around buying a GTR

Hi all,

I bought myself a GTR just over a month back, but immediately felt I had made the wrong decision.

This was mostly due to not being able to use the speed in London, not really using the car much due to only driving to work and back and using the people wagon at the weekend.

As a result I started to think, why did I choose this instead of my trusty cheap SLK 350 which was fast enough.

On top of this, the GTR was the most expensive car I'd ever bought and I began to think it was good but was it £30k better than what I had before good? The answer at the time was no.

To top this, my wife wasn't really keen - which always makes me uncomfortable about spending big money on something. She told me today that it's not expensive cars she is against - as she confirmed she likes the Audi R8. She doesn't "get" the GTR - that's all.

So I sold the GTR a week after I bought it.

Anyway, from that day I started to regret that too, and though I can throw the SLK all over the place and ring its neck, you know when you have that feeling that it's time to move on, no matter how much you convince yourself, the car's days are numbered.

So now I find myself looking to go back to the GTR but what worries me is that I'll feel the same again, and that I am being impetuous and would be better of waiting a while.

My problem is what would I be waiting for - other than to prove to myself I am not so spoiled that I can't wait for things because so far I have been.

My previous reasons for selling have been somewhat mootified (is that a word?)

the value of money has changed a bit for me because I have seen my business take off.

the desire to buy the new car has dropped off as I don't believe it will be 25k better.

The problem justifying because it isn't used enough has been removed because if anything it keeps the mileage down and makes the car feel more special each time I drive it. Before I treated it like a necessity, now I totally want to view it as a luxury and say screw the cost, life is too short.

My thought process is, the GTR is a bit of a one trick pony - it's fast......now what?

But equally, I stare at the model I have of one on my desk every day. I drive past a 2011 DMG every day on my way to work and turn my head and think wow.

Is it right to buy a car if you are semi in two minds?

Has anyone else bought one not knowing for sure if it's right for them? Is that the reason why so many are for sale at the moment?

Am I being an idiot and lining myself up to need to sell it again?

Someone please help me!

Last edited by Adamantium; 31st March 2011 at 04:49 PM..
Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2011, 04:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
avster is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

I hear the flap of the men in white coats coming. LOL
Old 31st March 2011, 04:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered

That's what everyone I know will think!

But then the first one sold so quickly that many people didn't even know I bought it.

I could even say I sent it away to be painted and it's the same one!

Old 31st March 2011, 05:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
GTRSTAR is talking To Kev @ SVM Because He Can Turn A Two Ton Turd in to Shit Off A Shovel!
GTROC Member

Damn youre one confused dude!

Dont buy a car if your in two minds about it, even less if youve already had one had one and sold it!

if you live in London buy a smart car, or an underground ticket.

Even better, move out of London its clearly not doing you any good! lol

Cobb AP \ Cobra Imola Carbon Technology Seats \ HRE Comp 90 Wheels \ Titanium Nuts \ Michelin PS2 Tyres \ Performance Friction Discs/Pads \ HEL Brake Lines \ KW V3 Clubsport Coilovers \ Stillen ARB's \ KK12R Under Construction At SVM \

"If it doesnt scare me shitless, it doesnt command respect, if it doesnt command respect, its not worth driving." GTRSTAR 2010

"If it breaks the bank, I lose the wife, if I lose the wife, I've still got the GTR" :D GTRSTAR 2011
GTRSTAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2011, 05:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered

Actually I get to drive to work in 70mph roads but only for 5 miles. I live in the suburbs (right near Mill Hill Nissan in fact) so I avoid the underground like the plague. I certainly am confused though!
Old 31st March 2011, 05:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
mickv is now without GTR
GTROC Member

Cars owned: R35 DMG Premium
I've heard of buyer's remorse, but I think selling after one week is possibly taking it a bit too far.

To be honest, I think you sold too quickly. I think the GTR is a car that takes its time working its way under your skin. But it does this with almost everyone who owns one. Just takes on average more than a week to do so.

I'd get another and tell yourself you are going to keep it for at least 3-6 months, then make sure you give yourself the opportunity to appreciate it - ie get it out of London onto some decent roads, maybe do a track day or two or sign yourself up for a day at millbrook with CATDT (thoroughly recommended if you've not done it before). If you do this, I'd be very surprised if after those 3-6 months you haven't concluded that you like it. Your Mrs might still hate it, but at that point it won't matter.

Good luck!
Mick
Old 31st March 2011, 05:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
asiasi is .
Registered

Most people i know that have a GT-R love driving quick real quick.

Thats what is was built to do,the fact your wife does not "get it" sums it up really,she wouldn't mind being seen in a flash looking R8 but a Datsun

Dont buy another one
Old 31st March 2011, 05:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zed Ed is elsewhere, mostly

Cars owned: BRZ track project
my wife loves mine although she is wising up to the cost ( despite my campaign of deceit, smokescreen and mis-information)

the traditional cure used by GTR lovers for an objecting wife, may work

Old 31st March 2011, 05:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered

I am not too worried about the wife.

She very rarely goes in my car. She knows I am a car nut and that I know what I like and why I like it. she's also not against being seen in it. She much preferred the GTR to the 4 evos I had before, she hated my impreza 22B because of the garish blue with gold wheels, and she was very pleasantly surprised by the build quality of the gtr, just didn't like not being able to raise the seat as she tends to sit as close to the a-pillar as possible.

That's her choice. I like to think that I don't care what she likes, but I hate that very slightly uncomfortable feeling I get. I suspect it wouldn't last long if I held on to it long enough to give the car a real chance.

Funnily enough the bit that upset me most was that the best drive I had in it was dropping it off at Iain Litchfields when I sold it. it remains the most impressive car I've owned so far and I'd like to think I simply didn't give it enough of a chance.

But I've not seen anyone else complain of buyers remorse when considering their newly purchased GTR!
Old 31st March 2011, 05:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
thistle is aware they can edit their status

Cars owned: GTR, D4 S8, MkV GTI, E46 325ti, E46 M3
I did try to put you off when you phoned me by telling you they were firm, needed frequent servicing and were costly to run, but costs seemed the least of your worries and it sounds like you got a good deal buying and hopefully selling.

For a road car they seem like overkill because the visibility, speed limit or traffic are nearly always the limiting factor. Without the opportunity to stretch their legs they seem a bit pointless to me though, and have all the compromises that go with it. May as well get all manner of relatively slow but "nice" German machinery that has better refinement, ride, service intervals, economy.
Old 31st March 2011, 05:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
tonigmr2 is Happy to get my R34 back!
GT-RDC Founder Member

Cars owned: MR2 TC, 981 3.4S, Disco5, R34 & R35
Not really sure what has changed for you, if the wife didn't like it then she won't now will she? It's still the same car. You're still in the same house. So why the second thoughts?

Girls drive GTRs too

Next event is our GT-RDC Welsh weekend in November
tonigmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2011, 05:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Nigel-Power is playing a Game

Cars owned: a wheelbarrow
from reading your post it seems to me that your wife has contributed to you being in the state of mind that you are about owning a GTR. In fact that reminds of some people around me who says the same thing evey time I say I'm buying a 35 GTR, there is always someone who comes out with "why not an R8 or another Gallardo for similar money?" but they are all missing the point. They only care about the looks of the car not so much about its performance and passion involved. I think if you want to own one again you genuinely need to be passionate about having one. As for going fast... the idea of buying a fast car in reality isn't to be driving at high speeds all the time, but knowing that you can drive fast now and then is what tempts us to buy a fast car. Similarly you could argue that many owners spend thousands £££ to modify their car in an attempt to go even faster, is that completely a useles thing to do as they can't go fast anyway? so why do it? but that's not the point though is it? The fact that they can go fast is what the purpose is I think not that they can do it day in day out.

Last edited by Nigel-Power; 31st March 2011 at 05:55 PM..
Nigel-Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2011, 05:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
David.Yu is adjusting to life without a GT-R...
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R35 GT-R, BMW M135i 5 dr manual, 190hp Abarth 500 (wife's)
We've already corresponded about this Adam, but frankly, if you're not going to drive it fast, don't get a GT-R!
But if there's the smallest part of your brain that enjoys driving fast, almost nothing else will do.

It really is that simple, I think.
Old 31st March 2011, 06:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
AndyBrew is feeling very tired!
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Cars owned: Audi A6 Avant 2.0 TDi, Porsche Boxster S, R35 GT-R and F430 Scuderia
You say its the most impressive car you've owned, but you sold it after a week???

I'm not sure I fully understand your dilemma if I'm being honest, after I bought my car there was more chance of me selling the wife after a week than the car lol!! To be honest I don't think you should get another, because I believe the GT-R is a car that you need to really want to fully appreciate.

I spend 90% of time in my GT-R wafting around under 2,000 rpm simply enjoying the car's clunks and grinds it fills me with joy every time I drive it, yeh the cars capable of massive speeds but I get more fun out of driving the back roads around me at under 60 mph (!) once warm clicking down that gearbox before a sharp left hander is an amazing feeling, one I have never felt in any of my previous cars.

The GT-R is an amazing car, but it sounds like its not for you
Old 31st March 2011, 06:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
MILONATOR is !

I'm a good listener for £500/hr-may fall asleep though!

Suggest you don't get one. My wife hated my 911, drove it a handful of times but only when our other vehicles were unavailable....it is a pain as each time they get in and complain it does drag you down-on average i did perhaps 1 mile before there were complaints. GTR is a much better ride than a Porsche and as we know a much better vehicle if you want to drive a car. If you are just in and out of town i'd stick with the merc or wait until you make more money and then spoil yourself with a GTR to play with! If you were relieved to sell that should tell you a lot.....plenty of opportunities to buy cars in the future!!
I love the GTR but it's all new to me. Had mine 3 weeks and I am in the country. Even there it is tough to really use the beast.
Old 31st March 2011, 06:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
Chris956 is 420bhp RWD is interesting in the rain :-0

Cars owned: From GTR To GT3 & Cayman R
Man up Adam and quit your jibber jabber.
Old 31st March 2011, 06:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
MILONATOR is !

I should add that my wife wanted me to buy a Range Rover (even though she has a Disco), I nearly bought the new Cayenne...but it just didn't press my buttons....then I discovered the GTR, drove it, smiled and bought it and screw everyone else type of thing!!!! My wife asked me if it was a 4WD and I said yes-she actually thought i'd bought a Nissan 4X4 type of vehicle which is hysterical when she found out what it was.....and I genuinely didn't mislead her-got to laugh eh! Been very amusing at dinner parties of late!!!!
Old 31st March 2011, 06:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
R35Bren is missing his beast

Move away from London, get a nice house in the country with some great roads between you and work. Problem solved!

You should be infatuated with a car that you are spending that much money on and if you have any qualms then for Gods sake, buy something else. The R8 is a great looking car, I've tracked the V8 version but just feels sluggish compared to my baby Much less pratical too but great for posing. Depends what you want from a car I suppose and it doesnt sound like the R35 ticks enough boxes for you.

I might end up with a contract in London sooner or later but I wont be taking the car up there. Last time I did I f*cked my alloy up in a car park which must have been designed for matchbox cars.

Porker 997turbo's are down below £50k now . . get a nice zorst and remap on one of those too. . .

Saw a DBS just over £80k if you fancy pushing the boat out, would be quick, comfortable sat in traffic, Mrs would probably approve but then for that price you could get the V10 R8.

Worse predicaments to be in eh!
Old 31st March 2011, 07:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks fir the advice guys, it does help clarify my thoughts.

I should explain that the wide doesn't hate it and knows I love it just doesn't know why. It was her lack of blessing that probably cemented my concerns last time. These were based around money and so I moved fast for a clean break and to avoid unrecoverable losses.

Eg no extra owners on the car, and I was inside the insurance and tracker cooling of period so cancelled without loss.

I have to really love a car and in all honesty there's nothing else that appeals to me at all. I hate 911s the engine is in the wrong place, and anything above that I see as a poser's car when the gtr can match them without shouting look how rich I am. I am not into the image or badge snobbery. I love the fact that the gtr is a giant killer.

Also the ride and cost to run in or out of London doesn't bother me at all. After multiple evos I find the gtr perfectly refined. It also drinks the same amount of fuel as the slk.

I get a huge buzz from tuning cars and driving fast, but maybe not as fast as this thing can go. My previous cars which John (thistle) knows all about were plenty quick but this is something else. There's something I like about knowing it's there but I am very happy to pootle about.

I think I am closing in on the conclusion that I need to give it a longer trial.

Last edited by Adamantium; 31st March 2011 at 07:40 PM..
Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2011, 07:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
AndyBrew is feeling very tired!

Cars owned: Audi A6 Avant 2.0 TDi, Porsche Boxster S, R35 GT-R and F430 Scuderia
"the force is strong with this one"