First impressions and Cobb dilemma.. - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 1st April 2011, 06:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
coolmeister is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: Current: R35 DMG Black Edition. Previously: 997 S cab, Clio 182, Evo V, Pug 205 gti
First impressions and Cobb dilemma..

Ok, so, picked up the car this morning, from Bromley Nissan, after a sleepless night! 60 plate DMG black edition with 2.4k miles - she looked beautiful!
I had already bought a resonated y-pipe from GTC which the garage fitted for me - great sound. I then drove round the M25 and dropped her off at Valet Magic for the wrap. Handing over the keys after just an hour of ownership, talk about cruel! I will be picking her up on Sunday, so, only two more sleepless nights to go!

First impressions - blimey its quick!! Sat-nav seems pretty good (Porsche one was pretty shite). Build quality also seems pretty good. I have to say the jerkyness at low speeds, I don't like. It seems like the only way to pull away smoothly is with a feather light throttle. Also, the noises!! It really does make a lot of, as someone has said before, expensive sounding noises! Clicking, grinding, clunking, rattling - this thing really is alive! I'm going to try and ignore them, as, they are, from what I have read, "normal".

My Cobb dilema is that I have already bought one with the GTC stage 2 custom maps, but the Cobb is sitting in the boot unopened. I know that 570hp of unbridled, intoxicating power would be minutes away, but I have the words of Sonic, the chief tech at Bromley Nissan, echoing in my head - if you plug it in, then we will know, and your warranty would be void - his words!!
And, to be honest, I believe him. I don't care what anyone on here says about warranties being honoured - can you back it up with specific cases? - I think it stands to reason that, if you increase the power of the engine with a mod, and something goes pop, then Nissan are going to show you two fingers!
My dilemma is whether to just accept that risk? I know, you only live once, its only money blah, blah, blah... it's not about being able to afford it or not, it's about flushing the peace of mind, that is your warranty, down the loo...

I think I am going to hold off the Cobb for now, I've never owned a GT-R before, so I might as well enjoy it stock for a couple of weeks. If, after a couple of weeks, I succumb to the temptation, then, so be it.. I'll let you know.

I'll post pics of the car after I pick her up from Robbies.
Old 1st April 2011, 06:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
stealth is is pleased theVW camper is gone
Through the Night

Cars owned: GTR 35 & Renault Traffic Camper
The car runs quite rich I belive when just the y pipe is fitted ,plenty of gunk on the rear end may show this after time .I'm sure there is a thread last year when some one had a UK car with a gearbox failure and a Cobb fitted ,cant remember the outcome ,either way the y pipe + the Cobb and a decent map is the better option .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R35 GT-R POWER
stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 07:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Chris956 is 420bhp RWD is interesting in the rain :-0

Cars owned: From GTR To GT3 & Cayman R
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmeister View Post
Ok, so, picked up the car this morning, from Bromley Nissan, after a sleepless night! 60 plate DMG black edition with 2.4k miles - she looked beautiful!
I had already bought a resonated y-pipe from GTC which the garage fitted for me - great sound. I then drove round the M25 and dropped her off at Valet Magic for the wrap. Handing over the keys after just an hour of ownership, talk about cruel! I will be picking her up on Sunday, so, only two more sleepless nights to go!

First impressions - blimey its quick!! Sat-nav seems pretty good (Porsche one was pretty shite). Build quality also seems pretty good. I have to say the jerkyness at low speeds, I don't like. It seems like the only way to pull away smoothly is with a feather light throttle. Also, the noises!! It really does make a lot of, as someone has said before, expensive sounding noises! Clicking, grinding, clunking, rattling - this thing really is alive! I'm going to try and ignore them, as, they are, from what I have read, "normal".

My Cobb dilema is that I have already bought one with the GTC stage 2 custom maps, but the Cobb is sitting in the boot unopened. I know that 570hp of unbridled, intoxicating power would be minutes away, but I have the words of Sonic, the chief tech at Bromley Nissan, echoing in my head - if you plug it in, then we will know, and your warranty would be void - his words!!
And, to be honest, I believe him. I don't care what anyone on here says about warranties being honoured - can you back it up with specific cases? - I think it stands to reason that, if you increase the power of the engine with a mod, and something goes pop, then Nissan are going to show you two fingers!
My dilemma is whether to just accept that risk? I know, you only live once, its only money blah, blah, blah... it's not about being able to afford it or not, it's about flushing the peace of mind, that is your warranty, down the loo...

I think I am going to hold off the Cobb for now, I've never owned a GT-R before, so I might as well enjoy it stock for a couple of weeks. If, after a couple of weeks, I succumb to the temptation, then, so be it.. I'll let you know.

I'll post pics of the car after I pick her up from Robbies.
So the Cobb was just sitting in the boot ? Never been installed on the car ? How can it come with custom maps if the car was not datalogged which obviously you have to have the cobb installed to do ?????

It would be interesting to know if NHPC`s are selling cars that have previously been chipped and knowing about it and still honouring the Nissan warranty.

Either way mate , you have done the right thing by getting it to Robbie double quick, it will look much better once he has had it. The clutch thing doesn't sound right though and maybe get a few miles on it and if it still persists I`d drop in and get sonic to perform a clutch re learn.

Old 1st April 2011, 07:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
JoZeff is forever cleaning the rear-end for soot!

There is not a chance that you won't succumb human nature.
Warrenty has been done to death on here, so you can research.
But having it in the boot! who you trying to kid.
Old 1st April 2011, 08:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Stevie76 is at stage 4.25+FMIC and counting

Cars owned: Current: Stage 4.25 DMG R35, 2014 Impreza WRX STi, 1992 205 Mi16, Pimped 320d MSport Touring, BMW S1000RR HP4C
I did a ton of research on this before COBB'ing my 60 plate GT-R. I could not find one post on here or on NAGTROC that anyone indicated they had had a warranty claim rejected due to COBB being fitted. I have however found tons where tuned cars have been repaired under warranty. As you will see if you search around a bit Nissan would have to prove that the tune caused the failure....warranty is not just binned as a result of modifying.

Tony from MH was at Robbie's a few weeks ago and he confirmed that they have never heard of Nissan refusing a warranty claim on car where there has been a manufacturing defect.

It is the best thing I have done to my GTR....car runs better, smoother and the power increase is huge even at stage 1.

Canned Stage 2 tomorrow and a datalog run for a custom GTC tune through the week to follow!

Last edited by Stevie76; 1st April 2011 at 09:01 PM..
Stevie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 08:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Cars owned: Current: R35 DMG Black Edition. Previously: 997 S cab, Clio 182, Evo V, Pug 205 gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris956 View Post
So the Cobb was just sitting in the boot ? Never been installed on the car ? How can it come with custom maps if the car was not datalogged which obviously you have to have the cobb installed to do ?????

It would be interesting to know if NHPC`s are selling cars that have previously been chipped and knowing about it and still honouring the Nissan warranty.

Either way mate , you have done the right thing by getting it to Robbie double quick, it will look much better once he has had it. The clutch thing doesn't sound right though and maybe get a few miles on it and if it still persists I`d drop in and get sonic to perform a clutch re learn.
You don't need to datalog to install a Cobb. I got the Nissan dealer to check the cars flicker data before I bought it, so I know it hadn't been chipped before.
It had it's 6mth service a couple of days before I picked it up, incl a clutch
relearn.
Old 1st April 2011, 08:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
AndyBrew is feeling very tired!
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Cars owned: Audi A6 Avant 2.0 TDi, Porsche Boxster S, R35 GT-R and F430 Scuderia
You think pulling off is hard, try reversing lol!!
Old 1st April 2011, 09:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Stevie76 is at stage 4.25+FMIC and counting

Cars owned: Current: Stage 4.25 DMG R35, 2014 Impreza WRX STi, 1992 205 Mi16, Pimped 320d MSport Touring, BMW S1000RR HP4C
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBrew View Post
You think pulling off is hard, try reversing lol!!
Oh yeah....hows the camera?
Old 1st April 2011, 09:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
AndyBrew is feeling very tired!
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Cars owned: Audi A6 Avant 2.0 TDi, Porsche Boxster S, R35 GT-R and F430 Scuderia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie76 View Post
Oh yeah....hows the camera?
Yeh it's cool very clear, however it makes things look further away than they are hence it's a bit weird trusting it, could do with the beep beeps to go with it if I'm honest, but it's great at least knowing what's behind you
Old 1st April 2011, 09:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmeister View Post
You don't need to datalog to install a Cobb. I got the Nissan dealer to check the cars flicker data before I bought it, so I know it hadn't been chipped before.
It had it's 6mth service a couple of days before I picked it up, incl a clutch
relearn.
Other way round - you need a cobb to datalog and you must datalog to get a custom tune. Hence your comment "GTC stage 2 custom maps". Custom maps cannot be done without a datalog and a datalog cannot be done without an install.

So , the next question is , if your car has not been flashed , how does it have a custom map ?
Old 1st April 2011, 09:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
baileyconstruct is unaware they can edit their status

Quote:
Other way round - you need a cobb to datalog and you must datalog to get a custom tune. Hence your comment "GTC stage 2 custom maps". Custom maps cannot be done without a datalog and a datalog cannot be done without an install.

So , the next question is , if your car has not been flashed , how does it have a custom map ?
This is correct. You only get the option on the Cobb to install. Once it is installed onto your car then you get Performance, Monitor, Tune etc etc.
Old 1st April 2011, 09:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
[email protected] is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: GTC R35 GTR, R34, R33, R32
his car hasn't been flashed. he bought an ap from us and has a base map ready on there.

don't be worried, life too short you could get hit by a bus tomorrow
Old 1st April 2011, 09:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji Linney GTC View Post
his car hasn't been flashed. he bought an ap from us and has a base map ready on there.

don't be worried, life too short you could get hit by a bus tomorrow
I'll pass around the crack pipes then...

Ok Ben, I'm confused, you told me that map 3 on my AP was 570hp, but don't you need a "custom tune" to get that kind of figure?
Old 2nd April 2011, 12:41 PM   #14 (permalink)

So .......... ??
Old 2nd April 2011, 12:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

It is a custom map switch top map will net circa 570hp. Datalog
Old 2nd April 2011, 01:15 PM   #16 (permalink)

^^^ Sorry but I dont understand what you have written ???
Old 2nd April 2011, 07:39 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
that makes two of us!
Old 2nd April 2011, 08:26 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
its like this. OP bought a used gtr, which has not been flashed before. maybe some confusion when mention that the ap is in the boot lol, not found in the boot from last owner but brand new.

he then purchased a Y-pipe and cobb and gtc custom tune which has not been flashed yet. when it has been flashed he can enjoy x 4 map switching, the top map being no.3 with circa 570hp. once flashed op can datalog using accessport and i will check ok or if needs a tweek

op- call me when ready to flash and i will run though with you
Old 2nd April 2011, 08:34 PM   #19 (permalink)

Thanks Ben!
Old 2nd April 2011, 10:35 PM   #20 (permalink)

FIT THE COBB KK

I am a sponsor of the GTR Register!
Kev@SVM is offline   Reply With Quote