MY11 faulty telephone microphone - Page 3 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11th April 2011, 06:44 PM   #41 (permalink)
Happydays is Loving Litchfield stage 4.25
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: MY11 GTR Daytona Blue, Range Rover Sport, Nissan Navara
Great news, I will be sure to get my mic changed over at Optimisation - in a couple of weeks.
Old 11th April 2011, 07:05 PM   #42 (permalink)
David.Yu is adjusting to life without a GT-R...
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R35 GT-R, BMW M135i 5 dr manual, 190hp Abarth 500 (wife's)
Well done that man!

BTW, in case anyone was wondering this production fault does apply to all UK cars that we know of, not just the MY11s.

Mine's due its 2 year service now; wonder if Middlehurst can do the fix already? I thought Charles Charlie said the wires were too short?
And have you actually tried it to see it does work better?
Old 11th April 2011, 11:41 PM   #43 (permalink)
MILONATOR is !
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Naranja-have PM'd you my reg no. Feel free to tell your HPC to talk to Dave at Aldershot HPC.

David-no not had chance to try it myself as away at the moment. I genuinely believe they have fixed it...they know not to return it until it's done-whatever it takes. There was an earlier comment re the length of the wires but they have obviously got around it if indeed it was an issue on mine specifically. I also told them about the likelihood that all these cars have come in as LHD mics. They did the fix in an afternoon btw which given work output probably boils down to 30mins or so-longest time is the testing of it to confirm not working (which I personally did with the mechanic) and then the retesting. In theory , as it's now a known and confirmed problem, there is no need to test each car-just simply do the fix so should be no bother for the HPCs to do. I will however ask them exactly what they needed to do to fix it and feed back that info once received ok.

Old 12th April 2011, 09:58 AM   #44 (permalink)
Naranja is aware that he can edit his status but doesn't know how to...
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILONATOR View Post
Naranja-have PM'd you my reg no. Feel free to tell your HPC to talk to Dave at Aldershot HPC.

David-no not had chance to try it myself as away at the moment. I genuinely believe they have fixed it...they know not to return it until it's done-whatever it takes. There was an earlier comment re the length of the wires but they have obviously got around it if indeed it was an issue on mine specifically. I also told them about the likelihood that all these cars have come in as LHD mics. They did the fix in an afternoon btw which given work output probably boils down to 30mins or so-longest time is the testing of it to confirm not working (which I personally did with the mechanic) and then the retesting. In theory , as it's now a known and confirmed problem, there is no need to test each car-just simply do the fix so should be no bother for the HPCs to do. I will however ask them exactly what they needed to do to fix it and feed back that info once received ok.
Haven't got the pm but have called the HPC this morning and quoted the TechLine reference and your story, it's getting sorted this Thursday during Opti.
I'll report back after that.
Thanks again.
Old 12th April 2011, 04:46 PM   #45 (permalink)
MILONATOR is !

naranja-i sent it again via pm-hope you got it-good luck
Old 12th April 2011, 05:30 PM   #46 (permalink)
r34mspec is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.Yu View Post
Well done that man!

BTW, in case anyone was wondering this production fault does apply to all UK cars that we know of, not just the MY11s.

Mine's due its 2 year service now; wonder if Middlehurst can do the fix already? I thought Charles Charlie said the wires were too short?
And have you actually tried it to see it does work better?
David could you let us know what middlehurst say because ive just bought a 2010 from them and no-one can hear me without shouting.If they can do it its going back!
Old 12th April 2011, 05:46 PM   #47 (permalink)
GTROC Member

Quote:
naranja-i sent it again via pm-hope you got it-good luck
Got this time, thanks.
Old 14th April 2011, 05:09 PM   #48 (permalink)
GTROC Member

For anyone interested; my car went in for optimisation today and the microphone was swapped over which apparently wasn't difficult, just a bit fiddly.
I made a couple of calls on the way back from Mill Hill, one 20 minute one to someone I call regularly and apparently, the difference is very obvious, described as three times better and I didn't feel the need to shout at all. It is much clearer and now you can hardly hear the indicator, compared to previously when it was very noticable, apparently.

The acid test will come tomorrow, when I call my Mum from it, she loves the car but hates it when I used to call from it due to sound quality!

Well done to Milonator for starting the ball rolling here. And to Mill Hill (Pete and Pete) for sorting it. Thanks.
Old 14th April 2011, 05:43 PM   #49 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r34mspec View Post
David could you let us know what middlehurst say because ive just bought a 2010 from them and no-one can hear me without shouting.If they can do it its going back!
I'll have a chat with them once they're allowed back into work post gas tower fire!
Old 14th April 2011, 05:56 PM   #50 (permalink)
MILONATOR is !

Hi all, here are some shots that the HPC in Aldershot took. Bit hard to see what was done but it was a minor mod (presume a Stanley knife or file was used!). They said "essentially slightly modified the trim so as to re-locate the microphone to the other side and thus improve the quality."
They have confirmed all 09 and 11 cars are LHD mics so get them in guys for the mod.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tom wiring 002.jpg (116.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg tom wiring 001.jpg (112.3 KB, 46 views)
Old 14th April 2011, 07:24 PM   #51 (permalink)
GTROC Member

Quote:
Hi all, here are some shots that the HPC in Aldershot took. Bit hard to see what was done but it was a minor mod (presume a Stanley knife or file was used!). They said "essentially slightly modified the trim so as to re-locate the microphone to the other side and thus improve the quality."
They have confirmed all 09 and 11 cars are LHD mics so get them in guys for the mod.
You can see what the problem is right there then. And the clips are there for the 'RHD' position, strange how they didn't use them from the factory.
Old 15th April 2011, 02:02 AM   #52 (permalink)
WingedBeast1968 is still here
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

My '59 plate microphone has always worked perfectly.
You guys know you can alter the microphone sensitivity from the MFD?
Old 15th April 2011, 02:09 AM   #53 (permalink)
MILONATOR is !

Yes, that didn't fix it.
Old 15th April 2011, 02:34 AM   #54 (permalink)
enshiu is busy working on R32 GTS4
Registered

Cars owned: 2008 R35 GT-R JDM Black Premium Edition, 1991 Nissan GTS4, JDM Toyota Camry,(winter use) Subaru Vivio
Quote:
My JDM one works without any problem.
Old 15th April 2011, 08:22 AM   #55 (permalink)
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedBeast1968 View Post
My '59 plate microphone has always worked perfectly.
You guys know you can alter the microphone sensitivity from the MFD?
Yes, did try that, it's only a volume adjustment and didnt help.
Sorted now anyway so there must have been something wrong.
Old 15th April 2011, 08:24 AM   #56 (permalink)
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enshiu View Post
My JDM one works without any problem.
Excellent. Very pleased for you.....
Old 10th May 2011, 08:46 PM   #57 (permalink)
MILONATOR is !

Guys, I had mine fixed as you know-was away after they did it so not been able to get proper testing done until the last week. Have to say that although it is better than before it is still pretty useless. Most people can't hear me and either hang up (waiting for the comic responses!) or I am shouting and not all words are heard by the caller. I have spoken to Nissan again and they are reverting on next course of action. How has everyone else got on with their mod?
Old 10th May 2011, 08:54 PM   #58 (permalink)
enshiu is busy working on R32 GTS4
Registered

Cars owned: 2008 R35 GT-R JDM Black Premium Edition, 1991 Nissan GTS4, JDM Toyota Camry,(winter use) Subaru Vivio
oh please Nissan UK install the old 07-10 JDM mics on their cars!
Old 11th May 2011, 01:29 PM   #59 (permalink)
w8pmc is loving his new M5
GTROC Member

Cars owned: Previous, RS6, E60 M5, B7 RS4, Storm White 2010 R35, Audi A8 Exec. Now Monte Carlo Blue (DMS Stage 2) 2015 F10 M5
I just shout, but have not had it back to get the mic altered as i try to avoid phone conversations in the car as i prefer to listen to my Titan
MY15 LCi F10 M5 (DMS Stage 2 Tuned) in Monte Carlo Blue With Extended Sakhir Orange Interior. Options: Bootlid Operation Powered, Loudspeaker System Harman Kardon, Reversing Assist Camera, Surround View, Universal Remote Control, Internet & Sun Protection Glass
w8pmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 03:26 PM   #60 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Guys, I had mine fixed as you know-was away after they did it so not been able to get proper testing done until the last week. Have to say that although it is better than before it is still pretty useless. Most people can't hear me and either hang up (waiting for the comic responses!) or I am shouting and not all words are heard by the caller. I have spoken to Nissan again and they are reverting on next course of action. How has everyone else got on with their mod?
Doh, so that's not very encouraging!

Naranja, any further feedback? Does it definitely make a difference?
Is this now logged as a warranty issue, i.e. will be fixed in an agreed way, free of charge?