GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/)
-   General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/general-nissan-r35-gt-r-chat.html)
-   -   Most 'GT-R-friendly' way to cross channel? (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/149709-most-gt-r-friendly-way-cross-channel.html)

axolotl 4th April 2011 06:32 PM

Most 'GT-R-friendly' way to cross channel?

I will be driving my R35 from England to Poland and back again over the course of a week. I think several of my fellow brits on the forum have taken their cars to mainland Europe. What is the best way to cross the channel with the minimum risk of damage to the car?
Many thanks,
Andrew

_shaun_ 4th April 2011 06:36 PM

Took mine via Euro Tunnel last year and was fine...just take it easy in the train and you're fine....

arnout 4th April 2011 06:40 PM

if you go to poland, the biggest risk for your car is not the tunnel but parking it overnight in poland.

axolotl 4th April 2011 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _shaun_ (Post 1437911)
Took mine via Euro Tunnel last year and was fine...just take it easy in the train and you're fine....

Thanks. Do you think it would make much difference to get the flexi-plus ticket with priority boarding and priority exiting or is it just a convenience thing?
Also thanks Arnout for the tip about Poland.
Andrew

_shaun_ 4th April 2011 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axolotl (Post 1437922)
Thanks. Do you think it would make much difference to get the flexi-plus ticket with priority boarding and priority exiting or is it just a convenience thing?
Also thanks Arnout for the tip about Poland.
Andrew

I have always got the "normal" ticket and was let on to an earlier train a few times as well (when I was there early lol). I never had a reason to get the flexi one....

If you board earlier you just wait on the train rather than a queue I guess lol....

enshiu 4th April 2011 07:27 PM

eurotunnel but try to get on the lower deck.

David.Yu 4th April 2011 07:31 PM

I always go Eurotunnel when possible, but personally prefer the space on the coach/high vehicle carriages. It's incredibly tight on the normal passenger car decks!

Just explain to them that the car is 6' 3" wide and they're normally cool with letting you into the coach section, although there is the occasional jobsworth. Oh and book into that section beforehand when you book the ticket.

enshiu 4th April 2011 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David.Yu (Post 1437957)
I always go Eurotunnel when possible, but personally prefer the space on the coach/high vehicle carriages. It's incredibly tight on the normal passenger car decks!

Just explain to them that the car is 6' 3" wide and they're normally cool with letting you into the coach section, although there is the occasional jobsworth. Oh and book into that section beforehand when you book the ticket.

that will cost instead of 39 pounds for FQ-ticket an additional 9 pounds.

David.Yu 4th April 2011 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enshiu (Post 1437964)
that will cost instead of 39 pounds for FQ-ticket an additional 9 pounds.

I've never paid any extra.

ChuckUK 4th April 2011 09:19 PM

Ferry here, loads of space :)

Chris956 4th April 2011 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David.Yu (Post 1437957)

Can you expand on this David or anyone with knowledge. I have booked the eurotunnel but normally online and didnt see a section for a different part of the train.

Went on it last time and it was bloody tight trying not to kerb the wheels. This time I was gonna just ask the person if there was a place for a wide car ?

nismoman 4th April 2011 11:55 PM

depend on were you live,if i ever go over i prefer the ferry over night from hull evening meal ,cabin for the night,breakfast in the morning,drive of ferry in morning ,and away you go

enshiu 5th April 2011 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris956 (Post 1438094)
Can you expand on this David or anyone with knowledge. I have booked the eurotunnel but normally online and didnt see a section for a different part of the train.

Went on it last time and it was bloody tight trying not to kerb the wheels. This time I was gonna just ask the person if there was a place for a wide car ?

just go to the wide section so with vans and say your car is 6''3'.

Rich M 6th April 2011 06:20 PM

I always use Norfolkline Ferries, now call DFDS, Dover to Dunkirk. When i book online i tell them i have low ground clearance and they always put me on the lorry deck instead of up the ramps with the other cars.

Jags 6th April 2011 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich M (Post 1438900)
I always use Norfolkline Ferries, now call DFDS, Dover to Dunkirk. When i book online i tell them i have low ground clearance and they always put me on the lorry deck instead of up the ramps with the other cars.

I used Norfolkline a few years ago when I had my R33GTR which was quite low. I specifially told them the car was low and wide and that it needed to go on the lower deck. On the way back the goon at the port on the French side made me go on the high deck whilst the whole time watch me scrape the car all the way up. Barsteward:chairshot

AlanN 7th April 2011 11:56 AM

I travel on the Chunnel regularly in my 996 GT3RS, have never had any problems whatsoever nor had to "book" anything special, just when I am going down the ramp to be loaded have a quick word with one of the people directing the loading and ask to be placed on the lower deck.
Nine times out of ten they will do this automatically (they are very good and do take careful notice of the ride height of the cars they are loading) but if you have a polite word they will always make sure.

Chris956 8th April 2011 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanN (Post 1439254)
I travel on the Chunnel regularly in my 996 GT3RS, have never had any problems whatsoever nor had to "book" anything special, just when I am going down the ramp to be loaded have a quick word with one of the people directing the loading and ask to be placed on the lower deck.
Nine times out of ten they will do this automatically (they are very good and do take careful notice of the ride height of the cars they are loading) but if you have a polite word they will always make sure.

Lovely ... cheers . Will do that

enshiu 8th April 2011 01:58 PM

no special needs to pay extra but, normally they will let you on the lower deck but, if go for coach deck you have pay extra (last time).

bluediamond 8th April 2011 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanN (Post 1439254)

Different problems with the GT3 I think Alan,
Front clearance rather than width but I agree that Eurotunnel are very good if you explain the problem. Coach/Lorry carriages have much wider spacing between the kerbs as such so thats what to ask for with the GTR

_shaun_ 8th April 2011 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluediamond (Post 1439834)
Different problems with the GT3 I think Alan,
Front clearance rather than width but I agree that Eurotunnel are very good if you explain the problem. Coach/Lorry carriages have much wider spacing between the kerbs as such so thats what to ask for with the GTR

Might do this next time - as I have to drive very very slowly so not to curb the wheels.