First track event in new MY11 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 9th April 2011, 10:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Papa Smurf is nurburgringgtr
GT-RDC Founder Member

Cars owned: Nissan MY18 Track Edition Litchfield GT-R, Golf R, Dancing Donkey 458
First track event in new MY11

I undertook my first tack evening at Bedford Aerodrome yesterday evening and can make the following observations.
  1. With just a Milltek Y pipe fitted I caught the eye of the noise police twice at 106db. The 09 old model with similar Y pipe topped out at 99db.
  2. The car was quicker down the main straight than the 09 with a Stage 2 Cobb 97ron map.
  3. I could only manage 5 laps at a time to keep the transmission oil temperature below 115c but on the old model under similar ambient temperature of 19c I managed nearly 10 laps. Either the gauge is over reading or the improved cooling that should be on the MY11 is not as good as they suggested.
  4. My lap times were about 0.5 seconds quicker in the MY11.
  5. The new Dunlops got very soft and the pressures went up from 29 to 41 after the first 5 laps which was a greater increase than the old model with the different Dunlops. The tyres did appear to be more effective on the fast corners.
  6. With my original Nissan helmet I had marginally more headroom and I fitted in without bumping my head on the roof.
  7. Loved the car at it's full potential!
Old 9th April 2011, 03:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
David.Yu is adjusting to life without a GT-R...
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R35 GT-R, BMW M135i 5 dr manual, 190hp Abarth 500 (wife's)
Cool, good to see one getting a proper workout.

So that was the evo magazine track day evening? Wish I'd come now, but I don't want to trash the Dunlops or what remains of my PF01 pads.

Anyone from evo have something quicker than the GT-R?
I understand Harry Metcalfe took his Countach which must have been fairly marginal for noise...

If you want it to be a tad quieter (surprised they let you on at all at 106dB static?), then a full exhaust quietens it down a bit, the full Milltek by quite a lot I understand.

Trans temps seemed surprisingly cool during a 7:48 Nurburgring lap last October. Seem to remember it pegged at 112C, although ambient was about 13C rather than 19.

Interesting you seem to have proved what I suspected, that it is a tad quicker than a Cobb canned Stage 2 tune. Is that what you were comparing your lap times to as well as speed along the straight?

ETA: yes it was the evo day, photos already up here: http://www.autographicphotography.com/
How did you find the handling/steering compared with your old GT-R?

Last edited by David.Yu; 9th April 2011 at 03:39 PM..
David.Yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2011, 03:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
paul__k is unaware they can edit their status
GT-RDC Member

Good write up.

Quite surprised that the oil temps are that much worse than the 09.
The transmission oil temperature increase is probably due to the fact their is less oil in it

I thought the temperature at the ring for the 2011 stabilised at 123 degrees C
which means an early oil change would be required.

Old 9th April 2011, 04:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
GT-RDC Founder Member

Cars owned: Nissan MY18 Track Edition Litchfield GT-R, Golf R, Dancing Donkey 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by David.Yu View Post
Cool, good to see one getting a proper workout.

So that was the evo magazine track day evening? Wish I'd come now, but I don't want to trash the Dunlops or what remains of my PF01 pads.

Anyone from evo have something quicker than the GT-R?
I understand Harry Metcalfe took his Countach which must have been fairly marginal for noise...

If you want it to be a tad quieter (surprised they let you on at all at 106dB static?), then a full exhaust quietens it down a bit, the full Milltek by quite a lot I understand.

Trans temps seemed surprisingly cool during a 7:48 Nurburgring lap last October. Seem to remember it pegged at 112C, although ambient was about 13C rather than 19.

Interesting you seem to have proved what I suspected, that it is a tad quicker than a Cobb canned Stage 2 tune. Is that what you were comparing your lap times to as well as speed along the straight?

ETA: yes it was the evo day, photos already up here: AUTOGRAPHIC :: SIGNATURE AUTOMOTIVE PHOTOGRAPHY
How did you find the handling/steering compared with your old GT-R?
Yes David it was the Evo magazine track evening. There were some amazing cars out there and Dean Stoneman (2010 Formula 2 Champion) was there in his 09 GTR but only did one lap in it as a front brake problem occurred. I am sure that there were quicker cars than me out there as I only completed 4 stints of 5 laps each. I also wanted to leave with some good rubber left on the new tyres even though I have done nearly 3000 miles in it already.

I was tested at 104.9db static but 106db on circuit. I agree with you about the full Milltek but one thing at a time!

Harry Metcalf's Countach failed the static noise test so I believe he was in an old Alvis.

I can confidently state that the new MY11 is quicker than the original one with a stage 2 map. For that reason and warranty, I will probably not Cobb this one (I could weaken after a few months or when Benji announces the new maps for the car). I didn't notice any turbo lag or flat spots when in full 'R' mode.

I did try running the car in Auto with all the 'R's on and found that it held the gears almost too long and wouldn't change up at the RPM I believe would have optimised the performance.

The handling and steering were far superior to the old model and the stability at high speed and under braking was beyond my expectations.

Pity you couldn't make the evening as I would have let you try my car as a direct comparison.
Old 9th April 2011, 04:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
bobel is testing the limits of adhesion
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: R35, X5
I'm kinda suppressed that the MY11 is faster than a Cobb stage 2, I would have imagined that they would be more or less neck and neck given the only change is a slightly bigger turbo inlet, I wonder if a stage 2 with intakes would bring a MY09-10 on par, still mighty impressive and testament to the engine reliability that Nissan themselves are willing to turn the wick up to 530bhp with essentially no mechanical modification and obviousily don't foresee any increase in warranty claims.
Old 9th April 2011, 04:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Jaw_F430 is made up with the MY11 software
GTROC Member

Cars owned: Mini Cooper S, M3 CSL, UMS GTR Blk Ed
The new set up may make the car corner faster so not all about the power
Old 9th April 2011, 04:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
bobel is testing the limits of adhesion

Cars owned: R35, X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaw_F430 View Post
The new set up may make the car corner faster so not all about the power
True can appreciate that it's quicker lap time is probably from the set-up but interested in the vmax on the straight being higher
Old 9th April 2011, 06:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurburgringgtr View Post
Yes David it was the Evo magazine track evening. There were some amazing cars out there and Dean Stoneman (2010 Formula 2 Champion) was there in his 09 GTR but only did one lap in it as a front brake problem occurred. I am sure that there were quicker cars than me out there as I only completed 4 stints of 5 laps each. I also wanted to leave with some good rubber left on the new tyres even though I have done nearly 3000 miles in it already.

I was tested at 104.9db static but 106db on circuit. I agree with you about the full Milltek but one thing at a time!

Harry Metcalf's Countach failed the static noise test so I believe he was in an old Alvis.

I can confidently state that the new MY11 is quicker than the original one with a stage 2 map. For that reason and warranty, I will probably not Cobb this one (I could weaken after a few months or when Benji announces the new maps for the car). I didn't notice any turbo lag or flat spots when in full 'R' mode.

I did try running the car in Auto with all the 'R's on and found that it held the gears almost too long and wouldn't change up at the RPM I believe would have optimised the performance.

The handling and steering were far superior to the old model and the stability at high speed and under braking was beyond my expectations.

Pity you couldn't make the evening as I would have let you try my car as a direct comparison.
Thanks for the info and the offer to drive your car, I will invite you to a future event so I can blag a drive!

Just checking, but when you say the MY11 is 0.5 seconds a lap faster (not that timing is allowed on a track day of course ) you do mean faster than your Cobb tuned 09 and not a standard one, right?

Have you considered the Nismo ECU, thus retaining your warranty? If I had a 2011, that is what I would consider (plus my Akrapovic) provided I could try a Nismo tuned car to see what the ECU felt like.
Old 9th April 2011, 06:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
ChuckUK is a proffesional loafer

Cars owned: MK3 VR6, Evo 6, Type-R, R32, GSI, VX220T, RRS-SC, RS4, GTR :)
MY11 faster than a Stage 2 Cobb? off the shelf maps surely ?
Old 9th April 2011, 06:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Arcam is still into Track Days
Registered

Cars owned: Many & Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurburgringgtr View Post
I undertook my first tack evening at Bedford Aerodrome yesterday evening and can make the following observations.
  1. With just a Milltek Y pipe fitted I caught the eye of the noise police twice at 106db. The 09 old model with similar Y pipe topped out at 99db.
  2. The car was quicker down the main straight than the 09 with a Stage 2 Cobb 97ron map.
  3. I could only manage 5 laps at a time to keep the transmission oil temperature below 115c but on the old model under similar ambient temperature of 19c I managed nearly 10 laps. Either the gauge is over reading or the improved cooling that should be on the MY11 is not as good as they suggested.
  4. My lap times were about 0.5 seconds quicker in the MY11.
  5. The new Dunlops got very soft and the pressures went up from 29 to 41 after the first 5 laps which was a greater increase than the old model with the different Dunlops. The tyres did appear to be more effective on the fast corners.
  6. With my original Nissan helmet I had marginally more headroom and I fitted in without bumping my head on the roof.
  7. Loved the car at it's full potential!
Great write up

I will be thrashing my 2011 round Spa a week on Monday, I have just dialled in 2 degrees of negative camber today so will be interesting to see if the tyres heat up as badly as yours did.

Last edited by Arcam; 9th April 2011 at 06:34 PM..
Arcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2011, 06:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcam View Post
Great write up

I will be thrashing my 2011 rounds Spa a week on Monday, I have just dialled in 2 degrees of negative camber today so will be interesting to see if the tyres heats up as badly as yours did.
Does the new suspension allow 2 degrees without modification?
Be interesting to see how your trans temps hold up.
Old 9th April 2011, 06:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
GT-RDC Founder Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info and the offer to drive your car, I will invite you to a future event so I can blag a drive!

Just checking, but when you say the MY11 is 0.5 seconds a lap faster (not that timing is allowed on a track day of course ) you do mean faster than your Cobb tuned 09 and not a standard one, right?

Have you considered the Nismo ECU, thus retaining your warranty? If I had a 2011, that is what I would consider (plus my Akrapovic) provided I could try a Nismo tuned car to see what the ECU felt like.
It was an 09 with an 'off the shelf' stage 2 map 97ron that Benji supplied.

I have spoen to Gary at Middlehurst's and he is unsure whether the Nismo ECU exchange would benefit the MY11 or not. He says he will try it on a car and let me know.
Old 9th April 2011, 06:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Arcam is still into Track Days
Registered

Cars owned: Many & Various
Quote:
Does the new suspension allow 2 degrees without modification?
Be interesting to see how your trans temps hold up.
You can get an easy 2 degrees +, AFA the temps are concerned I have already commented that all 3 temps run hotter on the road and I don't expect them to be any better on track TBH, oils already swapped out in anticipation!

I will be doing a similar write up when I get back from Spa and the 'ring somewhere around the 22nd April.