GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/)
-   General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/general-nissan-r35-gt-r-chat.html)
-   -   Petrol Guage !! (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/150060-petrol-guage.html)

Radical1 13th April 2011 08:31 AM

Petrol Guage !!
 
Driving to work this morning and the car was showing 32 miles until empty, 2 minutes later it then suddenly showed "---" i.e. empty so I had to divert straight to a petrol station. Is it really empty or did I have approx 30 miles left - can someone tell me ?
Pretty crap digital counter, other cars I have had count down to the last 5 miles before showing empty.....
Thanks

Arcam 13th April 2011 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radical1 (Post 1442217)
Driving to work this morning and the car was showing 32 miles until empty, 2 minutes later it then suddenly showed "---" i.e. empty so I had to divert straight to a petrol station. Is it really empty or did I have approx 30 miles left - can someone tell me ?
Pretty crap digital counter, other cars I have had count down to the last 5 miles before showing empty.....
Thanks

On both of my R35s the fuel gauge worked brilliantly, I can't accurately remember how low the "distant to go" went down to but I think it was lower than this, has you just booted it a bit as that will make it drop like a stone. I found the old gauge needle was very accurate and have run it down to into the red zone when very near home before without an issue.

Saunders 13th April 2011 09:06 AM

The Petrol guage is a little random. However when I am running low my digital guage on the RPM counter displays a warning and flashes whilst counting down the miles to go before empty, this is very accurate. I also have the Fuel Range turned on within the MFD. My average is around 170 to 200 miles a tank during normal usage. I can stretch this to 240 on long motorway runs.

Hope that helps.

Radical1 13th April 2011 10:23 AM

Yeah the warning light comes on (exclamation mark on the speedo) and the digital counter flashes when it is down to the lasat 40 miles, but then when it drops below 30 miles it shows as empty. So there is no digital count down from 30 to zero, it's either 30 or empty - is that correct ? I shouldn't be such a tight arse I guess and fill up well before !!

londongtr 13th April 2011 11:07 AM

the sensor can be affected by the angle of the car - when i had mine i parked on a slope, it was always very slightly different when parked to when it was on the flat

christer 13th April 2011 11:11 AM

Mine has also gone from 30 miles to ---- in a brief period.

The way to spot gauge how much you really had left is to see how much fuel it took to brim the tank and then subtract the fuel tank capacity from it. I don't remember in my case what it said....:(

Radical1 13th April 2011 11:18 AM

I guess my question is - Has Nissan factored in a safety margin by showing the car is empty when really it has 30 miles left ? Has anyone EVER seen the digital counter show twenty-something miles, I presume not unless mine is knackered ? Presuming that this is Nissan's way of stopping you from running out of petrol, has anyone run the car for 20-30 miles with the digital counter showing "---", i.e empty ?

Arcam 13th April 2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radical1 (Post 1442287)
I guess my question is - Has Nissan factored in a safety margin by showing the car is empty when really it has 30 miles left ? Has anyone EVER seen the digital counter show twenty-something miles, I presume not unless mine is knackered ? Presuming that this is Nissan's way of stopping you from running out of petrol, has anyone run the car for 20-30 miles with the digital counter showing "---", i.e empty ?

Yes and have just relied on the gauge, ran for approx 15 miles once the --- comes up, was a bit of an ass clencher thought :nervous:

Radical1 13th April 2011 11:27 AM

cheers Arcam, my guage is actually below the bottom line when it shows 30 miles but at least I know there is a bit left in future - the guage is crap and the worst thing about the car, the increments are so wide, needs to be divided into "eighths" to be of any use -don't know why they bother with it.

Arcam 13th April 2011 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radical1 (Post 1442292)
cheers Arcam, my guage is actually below the bottom line when it shows 30 miles but at least I know there is a bit left in future - the guage is crap and the worst thing about the car, the increments are so wide, needs to be divided into "eighths" to be of any use -don't know why they bother with it.

What about the gauge in the MFD, I think from memory that works in 1/8th.

Radical1 13th April 2011 12:07 PM

yeah but that also looks empty even though it says 30 miles on the digital readout. The digital readout in the middle of the MFD petrol guage follows the trip computer display, i.e. shows as empty once you go below 30 miles.

Arcam 13th April 2011 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radical1 (Post 1442300)
yeah but that also looks empty even though it says 30 miles on the digital readout. The digital readout in the middle of the MFD petrol guage follows the trip computer display, i.e. shows as empty once you go below 30 miles.

Fair enough, I have run mine down really low on various track days and had to go off site for fuel with the --- showing, but fingers crossed not run out yet :)

bluediamond 13th April 2011 12:20 PM

Its not great at this
 
:eek:I am a little suprised that anyone thinks the guage is particularly accurate or the digital countdowns. Reading my manual suggests the tank holds 74 litres and that being the case I reckon that when the digital display goes blank ( The moment it goes under 30 miles !! ) there is a maximum of 64 litres you can squeeze in. So thats 10 litres left (Over 2 gallons ) which at gentle speeds could be 40 - 50 miles.

Trouble is once you have established that the temptation to play petrol station roulette is strong. Especially if all you come across when so close to empty is not Shell or Tescos!!
Recently discovered that the M4 between Slough and Bath has only BP stations, 3 in a b...y row.

Got 71 litres in that time, gulp,:eek:

enshiu 13th April 2011 02:24 PM

the fuel level sensor can't feel this level of fuel <5L.

Chris956 13th April 2011 02:37 PM

I find the gauge very pessamistic. I have driven 20 miles after seeing the flashing "---" . I drove it in a mixture of conditions and still remember thinking when I filled up that I still had loads left. The gauge at this point was just past the red on the way to Empty. No worries haha :runaway:

Radical1 13th April 2011 02:41 PM

Cheers Chris, i guess the only way of knowing for sure is to do the same again and then fill it up as soon as you get the "---" and then see how close to 74 litres you got on the re-fill. They must factor in a reserve.

Chris956 13th April 2011 02:59 PM

Dont forget the extra you can cram in the filler neck and associated pipework which gives you a touch more leeway (sp)

enshiu 13th April 2011 03:25 PM

buy a reserve tank 5L to prevent stalling :runaway::clap: Mine works in Km so if range is below 15km then : --- km

Saunders 13th April 2011 03:43 PM

Or stop being such a tight @rse and fill up sooner :thumbsup: Joking aside at these petrol prices I am not surprised people go that little extra :(

Radical1 13th April 2011 03:53 PM

I agree with you Saunders, I am a little addicted to running on empty to see how much I can get out of a tank, perhaps I should buy a diesel Nissan instead !! Getting 20mpg at the moment and that includes a serious blast across Wales 2 weeks ago, (destroying my mates 500bhp mapped 996 turbo in the process). The look on his face as he overtook a car in front and then I overtook them both with his foot still planted will live with me for a long long time !!


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
http://www.Tyreforums.com


Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.