Cobb installed - first impressions - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17th April 2011, 09:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
MarcR35GTR is Loving Stage 4.5 725hp , 0-100 5.9 , 1/4 mile 10.6 @137mph
GTROC Member

Cars owned: 2010 GTR R35 Black Edition,1989 Porsche 911 Carrera Clubsport, 1989 Porsche Speedster, 1987 Ferrari 328 GTS
Thumbs up Cobb installed - first impressions

So I took the plunge yesterday and finally installed the Cobb from Ben With the switchable custom map.

It took me a while, flat battery and then my own inability to follow instructions, but got there finally and cleared the bonnet error code this morning.

Just been out for a first test drive this morning and ... wow !!

Big difference especially at the top end this thing just flies now, it feels it is doing 10 mph faster at least for the same driver input as before.

Had a first go at a timed 0-60 , and achieved 3.31 according to the Cobb, sure I could easily beat that with some practice but still very pleased with it and want to keep my licence !

Great stuff recommend to all. My thanks to Ben at GTC for his help.
Old 17th April 2011, 12:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
sumo69 is now Stage 4 and MY12 software
GTROC Member

Do you require a battery charger or recharge in every case?

I don't want a flat battery in the middle of the process.

D
Old 17th April 2011, 12:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
GTROC Member

Cars owned: 2010 GTR R35 Black Edition,1989 Porsche 911 Carrera Clubsport, 1989 Porsche Speedster, 1987 Ferrari 328 GTS
Not sure if you do, but my battery was very low, i would recommend having it on charge during the tune, then you dont have to worry

Old 17th April 2011, 02:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
GTRSTAR is talking To Kev @ SVM Because He Can Turn A Two Ton Turd in to Shit Off A Shovel!
GTROC Member

The Cobb is a great start and undoubtedly the best first modification you can make.

I'm sure that you'll enjoy the car much more now that youve unlocked some of the hidden performance

So what's next?!

Cobb AP \ Cobra Imola Carbon Technology Seats \ HRE Comp 90 Wheels \ Titanium Nuts \ Michelin PS2 Tyres \ Performance Friction Discs/Pads \ HEL Brake Lines \ KW V3 Clubsport Coilovers \ Stillen ARB's \ KK12R Under Construction At SVM \

"If it doesnt scare me shitless, it doesnt command respect, if it doesnt command respect, its not worth driving." GTRSTAR 2010

"If it breaks the bank, I lose the wife, if I lose the wife, I've still got the GTR" :D GTRSTAR 2011
GTRSTAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2011, 04:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
charles charlie is chasing a Veyron from 30-130mph
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: E36 M3 Evo, Mini Cooper S, 996 Boxster S, Caterham Super 7, Merc Tractor :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcR35GTR View Post
Not sure if you do, but my battery was very low, i would recommend having it on charge during the tune, then you dont have to worry
Unnecessary if your battery has been charged by regular driving. If unsure just go for a nice 20 minute drive to top it up.

Just make sure your headlamps, audio, aircon are all OFF when using your COBB, just like it says in the user guide...

Engine built @ RiversideRacing
Litcho rods/pistons/RaceIC/BOVs/oil cooler/susp+handling kit/front diff
Race Developments ported manifold/AT Power TBs
RF street zorst+DPs
RacingBrake BBK
Xtreme18 Clutch/Dodson 1st gear+shaft/trans brace
2015 alloys/nav upgrade/Nismo cluster
DSC susp controller
DBA front/Varis CF bonnet/2016 Lights
TTE7XX turbos = >900bhp 700lbsft 30-130mph in 8.19s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
charles charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2011, 07:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRSTAR View Post
The Cobb is a great start and undoubtedly the best first modification you can make.

I'm sure that you'll enjoy the car much more now that youve unlocked some of the hidden performance

So what's next?!
Next mod has to be a Miltek Y-pipe, probably from Robbis, same time as i get my wheels made Gloss black !
Old 17th April 2011, 07:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
charles charlie is chasing a Veyron from 30-130mph
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: E36 M3 Evo, Mini Cooper S, 996 Boxster S, Caterham Super 7, Merc Tractor :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcR35GTR View Post
Next mod has to be a Miltek Y-pipe, probably from Robbis, same time as i get my wheels made Gloss black !
When you get your y-pipe fitted I can heartily recommend you "upgrade" your cobb tune with a custom one form Ben at GTC.

That way to maximise the benefit and at the same time minimise the risks of a generic tune by having the tune tailored to your specific car.

Engine built @ RiversideRacing
Litcho rods/pistons/RaceIC/BOVs/oil cooler/susp+handling kit/front diff
Race Developments ported manifold/AT Power TBs
RF street zorst+DPs
RacingBrake BBK
Xtreme18 Clutch/Dodson 1st gear+shaft/trans brace
2015 alloys/nav upgrade/Nismo cluster
DSC susp controller
DBA front/Varis CF bonnet/2016 Lights
TTE7XX turbos = >900bhp 700lbsft 30-130mph in 8.19s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
charles charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2011, 08:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
w8pmc is loving his new M5
GTROC Member

Cars owned: Previous, RS6, E60 M5, B7 RS4, Storm White 2010 R35, Audi A8 Exec. Now Monte Carlo Blue (DMS Stage 2) 2015 F10 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles charlie View Post
When you get your y-pipe fitted I can heartily recommend you "upgrade" your cobb tune with a custom one form Ben at GTC.

That way to maximise the benefit and at the same time minimise the risks of a generic tune by having the tune tailored to your specific car.

An absolute must & consider a full zorst rather than just a "Y" pipe
MY15 LCi F10 M5 (DMS Stage 2 Tuned) in Monte Carlo Blue With Extended Sakhir Orange Interior. Options: Bootlid Operation Powered, Loudspeaker System Harman Kardon, Reversing Assist Camera, Surround View, Universal Remote Control, Internet & Sun Protection Glass
w8pmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 12:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Radical1 is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Marc, I got my Cobb (with custom tune) a month ago - I also have a y-pipe
(a must as it sounds awesome) - in fact it spounds totally different on the inside (throaty but no V-config noise). Heard mine from the outside the other day with a mate driving it and it actually sounds like a v6, really burbly and totally differnet to the noise you get on the inside, strange !!
Persoanlly, I think this is enough power because unless you turn VDC to race mode, the TC kicks in too much as the tyres struggle to cope (all the way through to the end of 3rd gear). Really don't know how these 700-800bhp conversions convert the power to the tarmac.........it struggles with BHP in the high 500's. Good fun though, love it !
Old 19th April 2011, 12:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical1 View Post
Marc, I got my Cobb (with custom tune) a month ago - I also have a y-pipe
(a must as it sounds awesome) - in fact it spounds totally different on the inside (throaty but no V-config noise). Heard mine from the outside the other day with a mate driving it and it actually sounds like a v6, really burbly and totally differnet to the noise you get on the inside, strange !!
Persoanlly, I think this is enough power because unless you turn VDC to race mode, the TC kicks in too much as the tyres struggle to cope (all the way through to the end of 3rd gear). Really don't know how these 700-800bhp conversions convert the power to the tarmac.........it struggles with BHP in the high 500's. Good fun though, love it !
Radical i am sold on going for a Y-pipe as well, I fully agree on that being enough power for the road, it is already motorbike fast (I had a lot), and anymore would never be used outside a drag strip or just possibly an autobahn. Was yours a 2009 or 2010, and have you done any acceleration timings using the cobb ?
Old 19th April 2011, 12:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Radical1 is unaware they can edit their status

Mine is an 09 - I haven't done any timings but it seriously wasted my mates 500bhp 996 turbo a few weeks ago, that's good enough for me !!
Old 19th April 2011, 12:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical1 View Post
Mine is an 09 - I haven't done any timings but it seriously wasted my mates 500bhp 996 turbo a few weeks ago, that's good enough for me !!
I have a tuned up 996 turbo S as well and the GTR is way faster !!
Old 24th April 2011, 10:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
GTR_JED is enjoying all the new carbon bits

Cars owned: Nissan GTR R35 Titanium, Mercedes CLK Convertible, Audi Q7, Range Rover, VW CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles charlie View Post

just like to support getting a custom tune as you'll get the full benefit of the Cobb and also a smooth, constant power delivery. Well worth it.