Should I de-cobb before visiting dealer ? - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20th April 2011, 08:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Radical1 is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Should I de-cobb before visiting dealer ?

Got to take car to Nissan dealer today as there has been a funny rattling noise at the rear for a while, sounds like a loose heat shield or something exhaust related (I hope !!). They said they will ask me to drive a technician around to show him the rattle. Should I just change the map to a low boost map or do you reckon I should remove the cobb maps completely for today ?
I can't believe these guys do a sneaky check by hitting the crusie cancel button to see if it has a cobb map whilst it's in the garage and I can't see it,,,,,,do they ? Am I being paranoid ?
Old 20th April 2011, 09:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
[email protected] is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: GTC R35 GTR, R34, R33, R32
only need to remove the AP if they are going to update ecu / balance banks with consult III

for a noise in rear shouldn't be needed

A few customers tell me they leave their ap in sight at dealer
Old 20th April 2011, 09:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
christer is selling the car:(
GTROC Member

Cars owned: 2009 Nissan GTR Premium
Radical

If they plug the car in to Consult they will see the ECU has been flashed by Cobb anyway - so I don't suppose it matters too much...imho...

Old 20th April 2011, 09:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
s2gtr is RS6 Owner, After 5 GT-R's
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Cars owned: R33GT-S,R33GT-R,R34GT-R Now R35GT-R
My dealer told to leave Cobb maps installed, they are used to them by now

Dave.
Old 20th April 2011, 09:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ben; why would you leave the AP in sight for the dealer to see, don't understand that, I don't want them knowing it has been flashed ?
Christer; you say that they can tell it's been flashed anyway, even if I install the original map - really, I was told they could only tell by checking boost level history. I have seen threads on here where people re-install the original map when getting the car serviced, seems like that was a waste of time....... So basically, there is no way I can hide the fact it has been cobb'd anyway, correct ?
Thanks
Old 20th April 2011, 09:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
[email protected] is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: GTC R35 GTR, R34, R33, R32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical1 View Post
Ben; why would you leave the AP in sight for the dealer to see, don't understand that, I don't want them knowing it has been flashed ?
Christer; you say that they can tell it's been flashed anyway, even if I install the original map - really, I was told they could only tell by checking boost level history. I have seen threads on here where people re-install the original map when getting the car serviced, seems like that was a waste of time....... So basically, there is no way I can hide the fact it has been cobb'd anyway, correct ?
Thanks

No not waste of time, people can remove a flash so that dealer can use consult III but yes dealer can see flickr recorder of cars use, speeds, trans temps, boost and other parameters which records for a number of hours. some people leave car turned on over night or so to clear any recorded for their privacy
Old 20th April 2011, 09:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

Still confused, so if I re-install the original map 3-4 days before having a service (so approx 200 miles of driving) would they be able to tell if it has ever been re-mapped ?
Thanks
Old 20th April 2011, 09:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
charles charlie is chasing a Veyron from 30-130mph
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: E36 M3 Evo, Mini Cooper S, 996 Boxster S, Caterham Super 7, Merc Tractor :(
Nobody really knows how long the "black box" or Flickr data recorder stores data for.

Some hold with the view that it's a couple of days worth, some say parameters such as boost exceeding a certain level may be for the life of the car.

In the end after 2 years of the GTR being on general sale, and with many UK GTRs having been Cobb'd, there has yet to be a posting on this forum of any warranty claim being denied because of a remap.

Engine built @ RiversideRacing
Litcho rods/pistons/RaceIC/BOVs/oil cooler/susp+handling kit/front diff
Race Developments ported manifold/AT Power TBs
RF street zorst+DPs
RacingBrake BBK
Xtreme18 Clutch/Dodson 1st gear+shaft/trans brace
2015 alloys/nav upgrade/Nismo cluster
DSC susp controller
DBA front/Varis CF bonnet/2016 Lights
TTE7XX turbos = >900bhp 700lbsft 30-130mph in 8.19s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
charles charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 09:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Adamantium is apparently poisonous to Wolverine - who knew?
Registered

Cars owned: Audi S5 3.0TFSi, Audi Q5 3.0TDi
I'd like to know how many warranty claims there have actually been. Refused or not.
Old 20th April 2011, 09:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
TAZZMAXX is ...............
ADMIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantium View Post
I'd like to know how many warranty claims there have actually been. Refused or not.
The benefits of which would be?
Old 20th April 2011, 10:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
mickv is now without GTR
GTROC Member

Cars owned: R35 DMG Premium
One day, the world will wake up to realise that the R35 is actually quite a well built, robust car. Yes, the disks and pads might be sh1te, there may have been a few bell housing failures (all cured with no quibbles from HPCs it seems), one bonnet system might have popped erroneously and it might make a few clanky noises from time to time, but fundamentally, the only big failures seem to have been on very high power modified cars without modified internals. Even the "chocolate" gearboxes seem to be doing fine, by and large. All this in circumstances where nearly every owner I speak to has an AP in his glovebox or an Ecutek map sat on his ECU. And, as CC says, naff all declined warranty claims.

Over the last 2 years, there's been so much paranoid cr4p written about the car, it's no wonder new owners think they are buying a ticking time bomb. We've all been there I guess, but looking back I bet most of us would conclude that we worried too much. 12 months ago I wouldn't have dreamt of keeping my car beyond warranty expiry, but with the way indpendent support through the likes of Litchfield and SVM has developed, I'd now feel fairly relaxed about doing just that, tuning the ass off it for track work and buying a motorway plodder for business trips.

Apologies for the rant. That feels better.
Old 20th April 2011, 10:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: E36 M3 Evo, Mini Cooper S, 996 Boxster S, Caterham Super 7, Merc Tractor :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantium View Post
Seriously?

Good luck with that one...

I had a warranty claim sorted for a dodgy paddle shifter twice, car has been cobb'd after 2 months and y-pipe from delivery in May 2009.

Do you not think that there would be people posting on this forum with threads such as "my warranty claim has been denied because of my Cobb, please help?" etc etc?

I can pretty much guarantee that if there were any, they would be well known about, even as far as the person involved trying to stop everybody from using a Cobb.

Lots of Cobb'd cars in the UK so if there was an issue, we'd be the first to hear about it.

RF street zorst+DPs
RacingBrake BBK
DSC susp controller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 20th April 2011, 10:12 AM   #13 (permalink)
TAZZMAXX is ...............
ADMIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickv View Post
One day, the world will wake up to realise that the R35 is actually quite a well built, robust car.

Apologies for the rant. That feels better.
Mick, I think you're perfectly justified with your rant. It seems that there are people on here asking the most banal questions and expecting sensible, well thought out answers. This section is where I spend the least amount of time as it is full of daftness from people who should have a bit of common sense and should really know better.
Old 20th April 2011, 10:22 AM   #14 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

In all fairness to the newer owners, they dont have the benefit of having had all of these discussions of silly warranty concerns like so many have done before them.

What does rankle with me however is their misguided assumption that firstly we havent gone through all of this before, and secondly they forget that there is 2 years of hard GTR usage under many of our belts, with no data to show any issues at all.

Sometimes a little dollop of common sense makes a huge difference.

RF street zorst+DPs
RacingBrake BBK
DSC susp controller

Old 20th April 2011, 10:27 AM   #15 (permalink)
mickv is now without GTR
GTROC Member

Cars owned: R35 DMG Premium
Thanks Tazz. I know what you mean. Feels like the R35 section is going through a major deja vu moment just now, with a wave of new owners coming through to MY2011 and into used pre MY2011s. Like some sort of 2 year cycle of silliness. All the answers are here on the forum ad nauseam, but I can see it's probably a pain to pick through it all to find them, so people just post the same questions again. I think the forum structure changes mooted (mooked?) a few months back will help, when they come.

Then again, maybe I'm just spending too much time on here!
Old 20th April 2011, 04:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
_shaun_ is unaware they can edit their status
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Cars owned: At the moment R35, JDM S14, EVO X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji Linney GTC View Post
.................some people leave car turned on over night or so to clear any recorded for their privacy
I have heard of this as well....leaving the ignition on for a certain period of time and the "black box" records.....well nothing really....
Old 20th April 2011, 05:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
Jaw_F430 is made up with the MY11 software
GTROC Member

Cars owned: Mini Cooper S, M3 CSL, UMS GTR Blk Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical1 View Post
Got to take car to Nissan dealer today as there has been a funny rattling noise at the rear for a while, sounds like a loose heat shield or something exhaust related (I hope !!). They said they will ask me to drive a technician around to show him the rattle. Should I just change the map to a low boost map or do you reckon I should remove the cobb maps completely for today ?
I can't believe these guys do a sneaky check by hitting the crusie cancel button to see if it has a cobb map whilst it's in the garage and I can't see it,,,,,,do they ? Am I being paranoid ?
Post up if they find out what the noise is. I have a similar rattle. Been to the dealer once, they said it was sorted but having driven half a mile I could hear it. Next service I will ask again . . . .
Old 20th April 2011, 06:23 PM   #18 (permalink)
ROG350Z is Nismo
GT-RDC Founder Member

Cars owned: GT-R R35 Spec V, GT-R Nismo, Zenos E10R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaw_F430 View Post
Post up if they find out what the noise is. I have a similar rattle. Been to the dealer once, they said it was sorted but having driven half a mile I could hear it. Next service I will ask again . . . .
Mine going into Halifax tomorrow for half day and to investigate (unusual)rattle once and for all - I shall report back! Arcam has an idea which we are going to try first but will keep you all posted.
Old 20th April 2011, 07:16 PM   #19 (permalink)
w8pmc is loving his new M5
GTROC Member

Cars owned: Previous, RS6, E60 M5, B7 RS4, Storm White 2010 R35, Audi A8 Exec. Now Monte Carlo Blue (DMS Stage 2) 2015 F10 M5
I un-installed mine when the car went in for a service last week, but purely to be satisfied that my custom map had not been altered in any way with a possible software update by the dealer.

Totally aware they'll know it was installed before, but so used to BMW & Audi reflashing ecu's every time a car goes in that i guess it's just habit. If my GT-R goes into the HPC stock & for any reason gets a software update then all is well as i just appky my custom tune over that when i get home.

Bang tidy as they say
MY15 LCi F10 M5 (DMS Stage 2 Tuned) in Monte Carlo Blue With Extended Sakhir Orange Interior. Options: Bootlid Operation Powered, Loudspeaker System Harman Kardon, Reversing Assist Camera, Surround View, Universal Remote Control, Internet & Sun Protection Glass
w8pmc is offline   Reply With Quote