Free ECUTEK upgrade and 2011 GTR Tuning - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22nd April 2011, 03:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Litchfield is unaware they can edit their status
GTR Register Trader

Cars owned: R35 GTR
Smile Free ECUTEK upgrade and 2011 GTR Tuning

The GTR development never stops and we work on a continual improvement basis. However there are some major milestones which we have now passed which means we can offer new products to our customers.
We are delighted to announce the new RaceROM ECU upgrade for the 2008-2011 GTR

As soon as we got the 2011 GTR we sent the ECU off to our technical partners ECUTEK within a couple of days they had disassembled the code to a level where we could tune and test the car further.

Over the last couple of weeks they have delved further into the ECU code to get a full understanding of some of the new features Nissan have implemented like the “Save” mode. By the end of March Ecutek had completed all ECU disassembly and we delivered our 2011 car so they could check and prove each aspect of their work.

Here is our car strapped down on the ECUTEK’s in-house dyno

Their excellent dyno makes fine tuning maps very easy. Below are some examples of the graphs produced at lower boost when we compared just VVT changes at the bottom and mid range. You can see the improvement in turbo response and torque from just these changes.

Following this extra work with our demo car and after some further training we are now in a position to offer ECUTEK’s new RaceRom upgrades to both 2011 and 2008-2010 owners.

What is RaceROM?

RaceROM is a suite of feature enhancements available for the GTR OEM ECUs tuned with EcuTek tuning tools, which offers increased tuning & driving capabilities.

Why add Features to the Standard ECU?

Without question, the OEM ECU offers the best cold start, driveability and refinement when compared to aftermarket ECU hardware. However, many aftermarket ECUs provide extra (generally motorsport related) features, that many enthusiasts desire. Unfortunately, when replacing the standard ECU with an aftermarket system, the refinement of the standard ECU is often lost.

(Below is a example of the type of Map display the FlashCAN software offers)

Now with EcuTek RaceROM, this compromise is no longer necessary. By way of a software upgrade to the standard ECU, RaceROM adds many custom calibration options to the standard OEM ECU, offering features beyond the standard fuelling, ignition, and boost control, yet retaining its driveability, sophistication and fuel economy. Extra features that can be added include; switchable maps, higher boost limits, per gear boost control, larger fuel injector support, Speed Density, visual Knock warning levels, Sensor calibration and much more.

GTR RaceROM also enables our FlashCAN GTR tuning software to measure and record extra diagnostic parameters, not accessible as standard. These parameters include knock correction in degrees, boost error, timing adjustment, mass airflow per bank and many others. This extra information enables us to quickly and accurately refine our custom maps to offer the very best performance for each individual car. The ECUTEK software lets us instantly look at the log file the ECU has just generated using a variety of display options for close analysis. The ECUTEK software will even allow the integration of external input devices like separate Wide Band Lambda sensors.

What does this mean for my Litchfield tuned GTR?[/SIZE]

We have had much of the custom code for sometime but have not been in a position to release all the features to our customers until testing and security had been completed. For all our previous ECUTEK tuned customers we are offering a FREE upgrade to the full RaceROM software This means your tune will be updated with the following options as standard:

Adjustable boost – We are able to make the boost adjustable using the Cruise control switches on the steering wheel. With the Cruise control switched off a quick flick of the Accel switch changes the Boost gauge on the Multi Function Display to show the current boost level. Moving the switch up and down again will raise and lower the desired boost level between our pre-set points.

Switchable Economy map – Using our experience and many of the changes observed in the 2011 GTRs “Save” mode we provide an enhanced Economy map known as “Road Mode”. This can be selected easily by holding down the Cruise control Cancel button for 1 second. These settings are geared around fuel consumption savings and will be ideal for normal commuting.

The original full power map, “Race Mode”, can be swapped back to at anytime by holding cancel button again.

These 2 features along with a range of other changes will further improve your enjoyment of our performance remaps.

Big Power support

The RaceROM custom code lets us easily setup cars with big horsepower without sacrificing control and refinement.

The Standard ECU has a number of internal limits which restrict how high some of the settings can go. RaceROM’s custom code lets us increase these to insure the calibrations are correctly scaled. For example Injector size can increase over the standard limit and we can also lift the Boost limit over the previous 8 bit maximums. Essential features when customers are looking to build 800bhp+ monsters

We also turn on the Speed Density control for our higher powered GTRs. This means that ECU will instantly switch from a MAF sensor based Load input to a MAP sensor input. Some of our more powerful cars have maxed out the MAF sensor scaling even when they are placed in a larger intake pipe. The beauty of this custom code is that you can take advantage of the key benefits of a MAF based system (idle control, cruise and partial throttles) and then at a pre-defined point the ECU seamless switches to the MAP sensor under load giving the best of both worlds

The RaceROM software will now be standard fitment on all Litchfield upgrade packages and custom tunes.

What next?

As always the development continues, ECUTEK are working on the long term logging on the Flickr data recorder (incredible information that each car retains ), 2011 Gearbox/LC4 ROM information and the possibilities of making this backwards compatible and adding new ECU support to meet dealer requirements

If you have any questions please feel free to contact us at anytime

Regards

Iain
Web:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook:

Twitter: @Litchfield_UK

I am a sponsor of the GTR Register!
Litchfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 03:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Papa Smurf is nurburgringgtr
GT-RDC Founder Member

Cars owned: Nissan MY18 Track Edition Litchfield GT-R, Golf R, Dancing Donkey 458
Just a quick 'thank you' to Iain and his team for fitting the complete Milltek system in conjunction with the new ECUTEC stage 2 upgrade on my new MY11 GTR.
First impression.......awesome
Second impression......even more awesome
Third impression.........less resonance but beautiful exhaust sound (won't be caught by the noise police again)
Fourth impression....... more economy

Overall I am stunned by the transformation and even before anything was done to the new car, it was quicker than my previous 09 model with a stage 2 Cobb Accessport. Now it is everything I personally want out of my new GTR. I will post a more technical bit of feedback when I have done more miles and possibly tracked it in 10 days time

Thanks again Iain
Old 22nd April 2011, 03:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
VG_R35 is Patiently waiting for GTR purchase
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

You guys always seem so thorough, patient and methodical with your work. Impressive.

I will definitely be speaking with you later this year.

Fascinating stuff.

Old 22nd April 2011, 04:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
GTR Register Trader

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurburgringgtr View Post
Just a quick 'thank you' to Iain and his team for fitting the complete Milltek system in conjunction with the new ECUTEC stage 2 upgrade on my new MY11 GTR.
Thanks John, I was just about to give you a call to see what you thought Enjoy the weekend.

Regards

Iain
Web:

Email:

Facebook:

Old 22nd April 2011, 05:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
mct
mct is unaware they can edit their status

Nice work

Looks great guys!

I picked up by 59 Reg GTR last week and love it. I get so tempted reading threads like this. I am the same as many people on here contemplating either a Cobb or Stage 1 ECUTek.

Now with this software being able to switch between maps, I am leaning more towards this I think

Iain - Does this new set up cost more than a Stage 1 on your site? PM me if you prefer

Marc
Old 22nd April 2011, 05:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
paul__k is unaware they can edit their status
GT-RDC Member

We seem to be seeing quite a few facelift dynos that do not deliver the increased torque to 6000RPM (up from 5200RPM) that Nissan claim. Any idea why this is?
Old 22nd April 2011, 05:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Henry 145 is without a GTR
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: M4 CP, R35GTR X 3, B8 RS4, 997 GT2, 997 GT3, 997TT, 996TT, Evo IX FQ-360, E46M3, RR Vogue and RRS TD V8
Looks very impressive Iain...will call you early next week reference your emails
Old 22nd April 2011, 05:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
mindlessoath is Elite

Impressive!

CBA-R35 Tech and News
mindlessoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 05:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
GTR Register Trader

Paul, I can only comment on my car on the ecutek dyno and at just over standard target boost (oem map) but the Milltek exhaust it made 540lbft. So I think completely stock it would around what Nissan claim.
Web:

Email:

Facebook:

Old 22nd April 2011, 06:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Adamantium is apparently poisonous to Wolverine - who knew?
Registered

Cars owned: Audi S5 3.0TFSi, Audi Q5 3.0TDi
540lbft at stock boost from just an exhaust???
Old 22nd April 2011, 06:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
GTR Register Trader

Boost was up from 0.9bar to 1.05bar as the exhaust caused it to overshoot.
Web:

Email:

Facebook:

Old 22nd April 2011, 08:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Steve is Mr GTR
GT-RDC Founder Member

Cars owned: Nissan Skyline R33 GT-R "V"Spec
Iain will call you after the Track day tomorrow at Bedford for my FREE upgrade !!!

2008 Nissan GTR Black Edition (Racing "Fastest Colour" Red)
1997 Nisan Skyline R33 GTR V Spec (Midnight Purple, the only Colour for an R33 GTR)
1991 Honda NSX Type R (Vibrant Red)
2011 Porsche Cayman R (Peridot Green)
2108 VW Golf R (Saffron Gold)
2003 Mazda MX5 (Blue)
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2011, 02:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Arcam is still into Track Days
Registered

Cars owned: Many & Various
Iain,

Will the scaling for larger injectors be matched so the MPG readout is also scaled correctly?

Will the "Save Mode" on the 2011 car now be redundant or will the switch still trigger that mode of operation?

Great work BTW!
Old 23rd April 2011, 04:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
Adamantium is apparently poisonous to Wolverine - who knew?
Registered

Cars owned: Audi S5 3.0TFSi, Audi Q5 3.0TDi
Spoke to Iain earlier and he mentioned he's not going to be online for much of this weekend. I asked him this very question when contemplating ecutek or Cobb if I go for a 2011. He confirmed injector scaling on the mfd has been correctable for some time.

Can't comment on the other question!

Now just need someone to post some feedback on the 2011 with the Cobb.
Old 24th April 2011, 09:59 AM   #15 (permalink)
GTR Register Trader

I have intermitent internet access at the moment.

Eddie currently I have set the 2011 cars up to have effectively 3 modes. Save Mode with all its usual functions plus a few tweeks. Then you have Road and Race modes on top

As Adam has said there is a injector size input for the MFD fuel consumption display.

Regards

Iain
Web:

Email:

Facebook:

Old 25th April 2011, 06:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
matty32 is In tokyo

looks really good guys

pleased your pushing the 35
Old 25th April 2011, 06:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
enshiu is busy working on R32 GTS4
Registered

Cars owned: 2008 R35 GT-R JDM Black Premium Edition, 1991 Nissan GTS4, JDM Toyota Camry,(winter use) Subaru Vivio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Black GT-R View Post
what is Save Mode?
Same as ben provided eco maps.
Old 25th April 2011, 07:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
Steve is Mr GTR
GT-RDC Founder Member

Cars owned: Nissan Skyline R33 GT-R "V"Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Black GT-R View Post
what is Save Mode?
Piggy bank for all the fuel you'll save !

2008 Nissan GTR Black Edition (Racing "Fastest Colour" Red)
1997 Nisan Skyline R33 GTR V Spec (Midnight Purple, the only Colour for an R33 GTR)
1991 Honda NSX Type R (Vibrant Red)
2011 Porsche Cayman R (Peridot Green)
2108 VW Golf R (Saffron Gold)
2003 Mazda MX5 (Blue)
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 11:02 PM   #19 (permalink)
Arcam is still into Track Days
Registered

Cars owned: Many & Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litchfield View Post
I have intermitent internet access at the moment.

Eddie currently I have set the 2011 cars up to have effectively 3 modes. Save Mode with all its usual functions plus a few tweeks. Then you have Road and Race modes on top

As Adam has said there is a injector size input for the MFD fuel consumption display.

Regards

Iain
Nice one Iain, that sounds like a winner it is good to see that some of the esoteric programming that Nissan use to enhance the drivability of the stock car being used by Ecutek along with the seamless switch over with the MAFs.

Cheers to Adam for his quick answer too
Old 26th April 2011, 09:09 AM   #20 (permalink)
RightKerfuffle is Enjoying GTR Ownership
GTROC Member

Cars owned: E92 M3, Golf R32, Evo 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by enshiu View Post
Same as ben provided eco maps.
I *dont't* think it is (No doubt Ben / Iain will correct)

The Cobb Fuel maps are a revised low boost map ~.8 bar. Where I understand the stock 2011 / ECUTech 'flavour' is the 2011 car map with ~10% fuel saving that is done with some jiggery pokery (technical speak )