Is there a poll of warranty claim success vs. Modifications? - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29th April 2011, 11:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Adamantium is apparently poisonous to Wolverine - who knew?
Registered

Cars owned: Audi S5 3.0TFSi, Audi Q5 3.0TDi
Is there a poll of warranty claim success vs. Modifications?

I've looked but can find anything relevant. Has thi been done?

I ask because o often people say I've never heard if warranty refusal with after. Remap etc so it would be nice to see some numbers to confirm.
Old 29th April 2011, 11:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
SuzaFan is addicted to GTR
GTROC Member

I agree. There has also never been a poll how many have their GTR remapped (cobbed)...
Old 29th April 2011, 11:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
TAZZMAXX is ...............
ADMIN

The biggest flaw to this type of poll will be the fact that only about 20% of the UK GTR owners are on this forum. That leaves a big chunk of people out of the equation who may or may not have had problems. I don't think the poll would serve any real purpose. Feel free to start one, you may get to see what you want to see.

Last edited by TAZZMAXX; 29th April 2011 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: gangsta speak removed ayee
TAZZMAXX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29th April 2011, 12:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
GTROC Member

Well, if 20% of UK GTR owners are here, it is a significant number...
Although, people on car forums are much more passionate about the cars and probably know muchmore about their cars than the ones not on forums...
So the people on forums are not so representative number for the statistics...
Old 29th April 2011, 12:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
charles charlie is chasing a Veyron from 30-130mph
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: E36 M3 Evo, Mini Cooper S, 996 Boxster S, Caterham Super 7, Merc Tractor :(
Like I have said before, do you not think that an owner with a modded car who has had a warranty claim denied would be posting their "horrid" experiences with Nissan all over this or another forum?

Many Cobb APs sold in the UK and nothing reported on any forum that I know of.

Either means no warranty denials, or very little failure.

Either way, it worries me very little now, 18 months on from Cobbing my own GTR which has seen it's fair share of track days for it's 19k miles.

At the end of the day it boils down to how you feel. If you worry about such things then dont mod.

Simples.

Engine built @ RiversideRacing
Litcho rods/pistons/RaceIC/BOVs/oil cooler/susp+handling kit/front diff
Race Developments ported manifold/AT Power TBs
RF street zorst+DPs
RacingBrake BBK
Xtreme18 Clutch/Dodson 1st gear+shaft/trans brace
2015 alloys/nav upgrade/Nismo cluster
DSC susp controller
DBA front/Varis CF bonnet/2016 Lights
TTE7XX turbos = >900bhp 700lbsft 30-130mph in 8.19s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
charles charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 12:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Mook is Not posting from this account anymore
Use Mookistar if you need to contact me

If 2% of the 20% on here have had problems you can scale that up to give a general percentage albeit slightly inflated due to people's migration to forums when issues occur

Mook
Old 29th April 2011, 12:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fuggles is at Nissan GT-R London
Registered

Cars owned: none
There's your answer, no poll needed!
Old 29th April 2011, 12:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles charlie View Post
Like I have said before, do you not think that an owner with a modded car who has had a warranty claim denied would be posting their "horrid" experiences with Nissan all over this or another forum?

Many Cobb APs sold in the UK and nothing reported on any forum that I know of.

Either means no warranty denials, or very little failure.

Either way, it worries me very little now, 18 months on from Cobbing my own GTR which has seen it's fair share of track days for it's 19k miles.

At the end of the day it boils down to how you feel. If you worry about such things then dont mod.

Simples.

Are you still servicing the car at the HPC and following the service schedule?
Old 29th April 2011, 12:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: E36 M3 Evo, Mini Cooper S, 996 Boxster S, Caterham Super 7, Merc Tractor :(
Yes and Yes.

Booked in for 18 month service in 2 weeks.

Tranny fluid/engine oil/diff fluid have been changed as and when required by temps being exceeded.

My tranny fluid has been changed twice in 2 years by my HPC.

I drive my GTR as it should be, and look after it accordingly

RF street zorst+DPs
RacingBrake BBK
DSC susp controller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 29th April 2011, 12:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
alloy is SVM Stage 6!
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles charlie View Post
Yes and Yes.

Booked in for 18 month service in 2 weeks
If you took delivery on 29/5 haven't you missed a service then?
Old 29th April 2011, 12:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloy View Post
If you took delivery on 29/5 haven't you missed a service then?
LOL typo!

18k/2 year service is what I meant....

RF street zorst+DPs
RacingBrake BBK
DSC susp controller

Old 29th April 2011, 01:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
[email protected] is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: GTC R35 GTR, R34, R33, R32
this has been done to death but again Tony MH has already said Nissan UK have not turned down any warranty claims. If there were owners with issues it would be known on here.

Nissan GB have gone above and beyond for UK owners even in extreme cases of jurgen's 650hp JDM spec GTR, he was given a new engine and Nineiron running big turbo 750hp, had gearbox issue... given new gearbox.

Which isnt to say this will always happen, why should they when your pushing the car beyond the oem limits in some cases Motorsport environment
Old 29th April 2011, 04:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered

First of all I have to apologise for my original post. That's what happen when you post from an iPhone! This one cones from an iPad so may not be much better! I'm not even sure what some of it was meant to say.

Second, forgive my scepticism but I am kind of a lawyer and what has been said above abou the information being meaningless just looks line hearsay to me. People assume that dishonoured warranty claims what be heavily publicised but there's no guarantee of that. I'd far rather see direct evidence of specific events from the people tha they happened to.

In addition I'm sure there's an element o embarrassment about those who may have failed to claim as they may fool foolish a therefore reluctant to shout about it.

I am sure if people are open enough there would certainly be some value in being able to put some numbers to it. It doesn't matter if only 20% of owners are on here because it still gives indication of the percentages affected.
Old 29th April 2011, 04:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered

And by the way it's because I want to mod that I do worry.

I'm sure I'd be willing to pay myself for any major failure if something were to go wrong, but I'm more concerned at what would happen to the second hand value when a new owner perceives e warranty as invalid even if I have decided it isn't.
Old 29th April 2011, 04:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Adam, it is impossible to prove a negative and very easy to prove a positive.

I cannot prove to you that non have occurred, but it should be easy to prove that it has happened.

Go trawling the internet and find me one single GTR owner who is asking for advice on how to proceed because his warranty claim has been denied over mods.

Your scepticism suggests that there are significant numbers of GTR owners out there who not only have had warranty denials on modded cars, but also ALL OF THEM are too embarrassed to come and rant about being left with a big repair bill on this or any other forum.

Hardly very likely is it. The greater likelihood is that this just isnt the case.

You clearly cannot believe that in over 2 years of GTR ownership there arent any modded cars being denied warranty claims in the UK, when there is no evidence at all to back that up.

Or maybe just accept that you clearly are not comfortable modding your car and taking responsibility for your own actions and as such, dont mod your car.

You have the enormous benefit that I did not 18 months ago when I decided to COBB my GTR, namely people like myself (and hundreds others just in the UK) who have gone before you and miraculously, we're all still here....

RF street zorst+DPs
RacingBrake BBK
DSC susp controller

Old 29th April 2011, 05:36 PM   #16 (permalink)
GTROC Member

I would simplify this...
Do you know anybody who had a cobbed car, had a failure (engine, gearbox) and got it repaired under the warranty? (I'm not saying that Cobb caused the failure, let's say it was an OEM fault...)
I know for one case here on the forum, nickname EvoIX from Germany. He had a cobbed GTR, his engine kinda exploded (melted piston or sth like that) and he got new engine under warranty but AFAIK he had to include the lawyer... and his car was one of the first NON SatNav EU spec in Germany and within those who needed the engine replacement...
And I feel a bit uncomfortable discussing this warranty things and Cobb, every time when someone opens a thread with that theme, there are some people who are actually attacking, even slightly insulting the forum member who asked that...
I think that Cobb is a great thing, but we can ask whatever we want and we can try to find all the informations we need to make a decision... after all, that's why forums exist...
I think that it would be much more fair to say - you have to be aware that when you're reflashing you're ECU with Cobb, you're automatically loosing the warranty! (after all, that's what the car manuals say too). It will depend on the good will of the HPC if they will repair a failure or not if something happens... and then, let us see which HPCs have good will and which don't...
I bet that the one in Vienna doesn't have good will... the other one in Germany might have...
It would be better for Cobb tuners to focus on how to make Cobb tuning invisible and undetectable to the HPC I'd really pay A LOT extra for that function and it would solve ALL our problems!
Or another question for some Cobb tuners here - can the HPC proove that you had COBB installed (after you uninstall it from the car). They say - yes, you modded your car. And you say - no I didn't, what are you talking about? They say - we see that ROM was flashed 2 times and boost was up to 1,2 bar. You say - no, I never flashed it and boost was probably malfunctioning... How can they proove it...?

Last edited by SuzaFan; 29th April 2011 at 05:43 PM..
SuzaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 05:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
Aerodramatics is online, on his feet and enjoying motoring in his GT-R again. Yaay!
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: Azure GT
Thumbs up

From what I've heard from UK owners over the past two years is they have mostly done minor mods, e.g. a downpipe for improved sounds over the fairly tame interior sound of the OEM, and discs and pads upgrades when the OEM kit cracks.

Similarly, few owners who have GTC-Cobbed or Litchfield-ed or Sumo-ed or CPR-ed have not gone for immense power upgrades rather pretty sensible gains, not much greater than the MY2011 spec.

So far, these mods have proved more or less 100% reliable. So it seems if we kept to ~580bhp (estimated) with standard injectors and ~650bhp on upgraded injectors we're in reliable territory, but must be paying for this on 'hidden tick' with increased wear on everything!

Then there are the pukka modd-ers who have done the full Monty, but properly, and there are few reported probs with these monsters.

For me, my GT-R is a keeper and I am interested in going down the mod route, always have been.

The reality is, the standard car exceeds my driving talent by a large margin, and the best mod I could even do is spend money on training to be a decent driver!

Even so I have been eye-ing up Litchfield's Stage III with interest and also CPRs interesting offers to upgrade the strength of the GR6 internals.

The GT-R scene was made for mods, it's just a matter of when, what takes your fancy and what you can afford (+ sometimes a question of opportunity cost! = Ms. + rest of life!).

I suppose provided you can cope with putting a non-warranty failure back on the road, even if it'll set you back, you can do it. If you can't at the mo, then best advice is to wait until you can and work towards that day!

Good luck... you *know* you want to I do too

Last edited by Aerodramatics; 29th April 2011 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: Spel-chequer
Aerodramatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 05:49 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered

I just want to point out that I don't think for a second that the cobb or ecutek would cause a failure. I have tuned enough cars in my time to know that a skilled mapper who knows the mechanical strength of the car can map any car to leave it appropriately safe, and I know exactly who the skilled mappers are having built up a network of contacts over the years.

My concern is simply failure of the engine or gearbox due to manufacturing defects that may subsequently be refused due to the existence of the cusom map/mods.
Old 29th April 2011, 06:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzaFan View Post
I would simplify this...
No, let me..

I'll simplify it by saying don't mod unless you're comfortable with any perceived increase in risk.
Quote:
you know anybody who had a cobbed car, had a failure (engine, gearbox) and got it repaired under the warranty? (I'm not saying that Cobb caused the failure, let's say it was an OEM fault...)
I know for one case here on the forum, nickname EvoIX from Germany. He had a cobbed GTR, his engine kinda exploded (melted piston or sth like that) and he got new engine under warranty but AFAIK he had to include the lawyer... and his car was one of the first NON SatNav EU spec in Germany and within those who needed the engine replacement...
OEM fault, OEM fix,
Again, modded car, fixed under warranty, evidence to the contrary of what you are worried about...
Quote:
I feel a bit uncomfortable discussing this warranty things and Cobb, every time when someone opens a thread with that theme, there are some people who are actually attacking, even slightly insulting the forum member who asked that...
Because it becomes tedious as it's been done to death on this forum over the last 2 years and whatever people like myself say, we get the same response laden with "what ifs" based on no evidence whatsoever, just people's overactive fears.

And dont even think for one minute that you may insult our intelligence when you question our decision to mod too, like non of us ever went through a decision making process weighing up the pros and cons, and you are the enlightened ones who the only ones able to see the issues.

It works both ways you know...
Quote:
think that Cobb is a great thing, but we can ask whatever we want and we can try to find all the informations we need to make a decision... after all, that's why forums exist...
Yes, couldnt agree more and that's why they invented the search function! These forums have a wealth of info, you just need to spend some time looking as I would hazard a guess that 99% of your queries have been discussed before.

Quote:
I think that it would be much more fair to say - you have to be aware that when you're reflashing you're ECU with Cobb, you're automatically loosing the warranty! (after all, that's what the car manuals say too).
Again, wrong.

There is plenty of evidence from the UK and the US that modified cars have had substantial warranty claims honoured.
Quote:
It will depend on the good will of the HPC if they will repair a failure or not if something happens... and then, let us see which HPCs have good will and which don't...
I bet that the one in Vienna doesn't have good will... the other one in Germany might have...

Again, wrong..

HPCs have zero say in any warranty decision. Nissan GB (or Nissan EU in your case) and Nissan Japan make the decisions ultimately as every claim is passed to them.
Your HPC may argue your case for you if your relationship is good, but they have no say whatsoever in how it proceeds.

Like I have said above, if you are not comfortable accepting a perceived increase in risk then do not mod your car and enjoy it in it's standard form.
It's a blinding car as is, but a brutal machine when unleashed.

Dont go there if it doesnt sit well with your worry gland...

RF street zorst+DPs
RacingBrake BBK
DSC susp controller

Old 29th April 2011, 06:12 PM   #20 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantium View Post
I just want to point out that I don't think for a second that the cobb or ecutek would cause a failure. I have tuned enough cars in my time to know that a skilled mapper who knows the mechanical strength of the car can map any car to leave it appropriately safe, and I know exactly who the skilled mappers are having built up a network of contacts over the years.

My concern is simply failure of the engine or gearbox due to manufacturing defects that may subsequently be refused due to the existence of the cusom map/mods.
Adam, when you've modded cars before have you done so when the car was still under warranty?

If so, did you not have these same concerns then as well? If so what has changed?

I feel that whatever is said, whatever evidence is put forward, nobody is going to reassure you.

It's a hiding to nothing tbh

We all look at the risks involved and take our own path.

If you arent comfortable with that then leave it alone until either the fear passes, or you are no longer a GTR owner.

Either way, it's your decision to make based upon your own feelings.

RF street zorst+DPs
RacingBrake BBK
DSC susp controller