Grazed Front Splitter? - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 3rd May 2011, 04:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
w8pmc is loving his new M5
GTROC Member

Cars owned: Previous, RS6, E60 M5, B7 RS4, Storm White 2010 R35, Audi A8 Exec. Now Monte Carlo Blue (DMS Stage 2) 2015 F10 M5
Grazed Front Splitter?

I'm more looking for comfort than anything else, but perhaps some advise if available?

After 5500 miles & to date having only one slightly scratched one wheel, i've now managed to graze the underside of my front splitter leaving a hotel car park. What's p1ssed me off the most is i could have done nothing to avoid it other than reverse out of the car park onto a main road. The gradient of the exit (downhill) was too great & thus didn't provide enough to provide clearance.

It's a horrible feeling when the grazing starts but you have to continue & know it's getting worse.

Luckily it's not visible face on, so is all underneath the spoiler thus not unsightly, but i know it's there

Hoping it's happened to others? & what can be done to remedy the damage?
MY15 LCi F10 M5 (DMS Stage 2 Tuned) in Monte Carlo Blue With Extended Sakhir Orange Interior. Options: Bootlid Operation Powered, Loudspeaker System Harman Kardon, Reversing Assist Camera, Surround View, Universal Remote Control, Internet & Sun Protection Glass
w8pmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 05:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Stevie76 is at stage 4.25+FMIC and counting
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: Current: Stage 4.25 DMG R35, 2014 Impreza WRX STi, 1992 205 Mi16, Pimped 320d MSport Touring, BMW S1000RR HP4C
Got a light graze on mine too coming off a taller than average speed bump....pretty much the same in that you cant see it looking at it but bit rough on the underside.

Not sure there is much that can be done other than a wrap or replacement....might be the excuse required for an upgraded one
Old 3rd May 2011, 05:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Chris956 is 420bhp RWD is interesting in the rain :-0

Cars owned: From GTR To GT3 & Cayman R
On a porsche they are a " Consumable" and priced cheap (£160) Nissan could have done the same really.

I feel your pain but have you had a proper look underneath. You might be lucky and have just taken the plastic sticker off which sits in the middle and folds back underneath ?

If its through to the plastic then I would wrap it in carbon which is a cheap good looking fix that can be redone should any further incidents occur.

chin up

Old 3rd May 2011, 06:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
MrGT is think I might want a r32 gtr
GTROC Member

Cars owned: series 2 R33 GTR (cold climate spec)
unlucky pal i've done it aswell (as u know mines only a old datsun so not as wallet hurting lol) if its just scrapped a little then i'd be inclinded to wrap it as mentioned above.
or change it for a carbon splitter (but do u want to do the same thing to a more expensive splitter?)

Tib
Old 3rd May 2011, 06:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
bobel is testing the limits of adhesion

Cars owned: R35, X5
Did the same to mine, just noticeable from front, wouldn't mind but didn't even hear or feel it which concerned me more, only spotted it when parked up on driveway, didn't do anything with it yet any my ventureshield strip on the lip is doing nothing to camouflage it so might opt for a carbon wrap at least it's cheaper to redo and I reckon I'll give it a go wrapping it myself.
Old 3rd May 2011, 06:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Cars owned: Current: Stage 4.25 DMG R35, 2014 Impreza WRX STi, 1992 205 Mi16, Pimped 320d MSport Touring, BMW S1000RR HP4C
Maybe Robbie would do us a group deal???
Old 3rd May 2011, 07:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
bobel is testing the limits of adhesion

Cars owned: R35, X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie76 View Post
Maybe Robbie would do us a group deal???
I'm the wrong side of the Irish sea for Robbie unfortunately and in the porcess of having my ventureshield re-evaluated by installer owing to some flaws hence the suggestion that I might wrap the spoiler myself, but wish I was over there as I'd live at Robbies place, probably end up with everything I own wrapped
Old 3rd May 2011, 07:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
GTROC Member

Cars owned: Previous, RS6, E60 M5, B7 RS4, Storm White 2010 R35, Audi A8 Exec. Now Monte Carlo Blue (DMS Stage 2) 2015 F10 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris956 View Post
On a porsche they are a " Consumable" and priced cheap (£160) Nissan could have done the same really.

I feel your pain but have you had a proper look underneath. You might be lucky and have just taken the plastic sticker off which sits in the middle and folds back underneath ?

If its through to the plastic then I would wrap it in carbon which is a cheap good looking fix that can be redone should any further incidents occur.

chin up
Didn't check but will have a look when it's in the air on ramps on Friday. Trying to avoid wrapping for the time being as if i get the front done i'll want to get the rear spoiler, wing mirrors & sills wrapped in carbon as well.

Thinking i can't be that lucky that it's just the sticker, if so how is it removed & why would it still be on the car?
MY15 LCi F10 M5 (DMS Stage 2 Tuned) in Monte Carlo Blue With Extended Sakhir Orange Interior. Options: Bootlid Operation Powered, Loudspeaker System Harman Kardon, Reversing Assist Camera, Surround View, Universal Remote Control, Internet & Sun Protection Glass
Old 3rd May 2011, 08:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
enshiu is busy working on R32 GTS4
Registered

Cars owned: 2008 R35 GT-R JDM Black Premium Edition, 1991 Nissan GTS4, JDM Toyota Camry,(winter use) Subaru Vivio
Quote:
Originally Posted by w8pmc View Post
Didn't check but will have a look when it's in the air on ramps on Friday. Trying to avoid wrapping for the time being as if i get the front done i'll want to get the rear spoiler, wing mirrors & sills wrapped in carbon as well.

Thinking i can't be that lucky that it's just the sticker, if so how is it removed & why would it still be on the car?
You should go repair and repaint it. Mine is scratched also but I did repaint with metallic black (underside).
Old 3rd May 2011, 08:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Sticker just pulls off and then wipe away and glue residue. Its thick to protect the lip but I only had the slightest touch with the ground and it went through it like butter leaving small scuff...
Old 4th May 2011, 04:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
SamboGrove is Currently GTR-less
GTROC Member

Cars owned: R32 GTR, AUDI A3, R35 GTR (Sold)
I've done the same. Although since then i've also dinged my bumper and got a stone chip bang on the centre of the bonnet

I got a quote off the HPC - nearly £900 to replace just the splitter, over £4000 for a whole new bumper

In the end i'm going for a full bumper/splitter respray with blending into the bonnet/wings @ £600 inc VAT which i didn't think was too bad. Not had it done yet so can't comment on how good it'll be but it's using the proper nissan paint and he came recommended off a fellow GTR owner so should be ok.

I think if i were you and it was just a scuff i'd get the lowers wrapped in carbon fibre. It'll look mint and not cost you a great deal either. Win win
Old 4th May 2011, 04:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
andrew186 is GTR crazy
Registered

Cars owned: R34 GTR, BMW M4, BMW F10 528i, Audi Q7, BMW F30 330e
ive done the same multiple times because my car is lowered slightly

as mentioned it is not visible from the front and there is some clear thick protection stickers underneath it.. i think i might just find some sort of replacement for the protection stickers and be done with it.. had a good look under the car when it was on the ramps and the damage is not as bad as you think it is, on mine it was just the protection stickers that wore off with only a few scuffs on the splitter itself

if the splitter gets visibly damaged then i'll just get it repaired and resprayed at a bodyshop
Old 4th May 2011, 09:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamboGrove View Post
I've done the same. Although since then i've also dinged my bumper and got a stone chip bang on the centre of the bonnet

I got a quote off the HPC - nearly £900 to replace just the splitter, over £4000 for a whole new bumper

In the end i'm going for a full bumper/splitter respray with blending into the bonnet/wings @ £600 inc VAT which i didn't think was too bad. Not had it done yet so can't comment on how good it'll be but it's using the proper nissan paint and he came recommended off a fellow GTR owner so should be ok.

I think if i were you and it was just a scuff i'd get the lowers wrapped in carbon fibre. It'll look mint and not cost you a great deal either. Win win
Holy sh1t balls, £4K for a new front bumper. Is that painted with CORRECT MATCHING paint?

Thanks for the responses, i'll get SVM to take a look wjile it's on the ramps on Friday & if it's the sticker i'll get them to pull it off.
Old 5th May 2011, 06:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

Perhaps one of these....STILLEN : STILLEN Nissan GT-R R35 Skid Plate
Old 5th May 2011, 07:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
JoZeff is forever cleaning the rear-end for soot!

Been there done that wont be your last time. I came off 2nd to a wall and have a noticeable scrape. I have decided to go down the carbon wrap route.
Magic quotes 125 for the job gonna try a local firm, see if I can get the price down.
Let you know.
Old 5th May 2011, 08:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
Jaw_F430 is made up with the MY11 software
GTROC Member

Cars owned: Mini Cooper S, M3 CSL, UMS GTR Blk Ed
I grazed mine for the first time the other day on Tesco car park!!!! Sounded really bad so didn't want to look but when I did look it was the clear sticker that had the damage. Just cut the bit off and all was well.

Two days later went around to my mates and grazed it again coming off his drive .. . .again just the sticker so may just get the car up on the ramps and put a new clear sticker on for when it happens again.

I was expecting paint damage etc but was quite surprised there was nothing there really

You can't see it anyway unless you get down and have a look so don't worry
Old 5th May 2011, 08:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
johnhanton57 is going back to black
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

I scraped the offside full face on very visible on a higher than expected pavement. I'll live with it as i just want more power
Old 5th May 2011, 08:22 PM   #18 (permalink)
Elliott_GTR is driving a lot slower...
GTROC Member

I wouldn't worry too much. Leave it two weeks and then see if it still bothers you....

If it does there are lots of awesome aftermarket ones out there.

I managed to ground the CENTRE of the car this week in a gravel carpark... got it hooked on my tranny cooler lol. Once I had tapped all the gravel and stones out of it I felt much better....!

GTC Titan Race Zorst | GTC Titan Race Y-pipe | GTC Downpipes | GTC 80mm Intakes | GTC Tranny Cooler | ID 1000cc Injectors | GTC Custom Tune | GTC 4-Light Kit | Valet Magic wrap
Elliott_GTR is offline   Reply With Quote