What made you buy the R35? - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13th May 2011, 08:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
anilj is Chillin
GTROC Member

Cars owned: R35 MY2010, E93, E92, Boxster S, Toyota Yaris Hybrid
What made you buy the R35?

After recently attending the Goodwood Supercar Breakfast and having the chance to sit in the only LFA currently in the UK, it prompted me to think of the reasons why I purchased the GT-R R35.

Enjoy the short clip on the LFA and notice the handsome chap at 0.23s and 0.57s (The blonde, like the car was better in the flesh..but dont tell wifey)

So my main reasons for the purchase were:

1. Sheer performance for the money
2. Styling (stands out from nearly all cars sub £100k)
3. Individuality (similar to Exclusivity, but much better judging by others reaction that still amaze me after a year of ownership)
3. My sons badgered me after they played on the PS3!

So I would be interested to know other owners reasons?
Old 13th May 2011, 08:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Nigel-Power is playing a Game
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: a wheelbarrow
My reason to buy one is only 1 reason. To get on fourtoes' nerves

Old 13th May 2011, 08:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Henry 145 is without a GTR
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: M4 CP, R35GTR X 3, B8 RS4, 997 GT2, 997 GT3, 997TT, 996TT, Evo IX FQ-360, E46M3, RR Vogue and RRS TD V8
Picked up my third R35 this week from Westover...love the car...performance...quality and exclusivity

Old 13th May 2011, 08:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zed Ed is elsewhere, mostly

Cars owned: BRZ track project
not quite LFA though, is it

my reasons;

- function over form
- not a brand choice
- always loved jap performance
Old 13th May 2011, 08:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
GTRSTAR is talking To Kev @ SVM Because He Can Turn A Two Ton Turd in to Shit Off A Shovel!
GTROC Member

Arrow What Made Me Buy The R35?

1. The Ressesion
  2. The Turbos
  3. THE RESSESION

Cobb AP \ Cobra Imola Carbon Technology Seats \ HRE Comp 90 Wheels \ Titanium Nuts \ Michelin PS2 Tyres \ Performance Friction Discs/Pads \ HEL Brake Lines \ KW V3 Clubsport Coilovers \ Stillen ARB's \ KK12R Under Construction At SVM \

"If it doesnt scare me shitless, it doesnt command respect, if it doesnt command respect, its not worth driving." GTRSTAR 2010

"If it breaks the bank, I lose the wife, if I lose the wife, I've still got the GTR" :D GTRSTAR 2011
GTRSTAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 09:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
anilj is Chillin
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRSTAR View Post
  1. The Ressesion
  2. The Turbos
  3. THE RESSESION
Didnt stop you from holidaying with the Mexicans did it
Old 13th May 2011, 09:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Stevie76 is at stage 4.25+FMIC and counting

Cars owned: Current: Stage 4.25 DMG R35, 2014 Impreza WRX STi, 1992 205 Mi16, Pimped 320d MSport Touring, BMW S1000RR HP4C
The following:

Looks
Power
Styling
Noise
Exclusivity

Test drove tons of cars and left the gt-r until last as I always knew it was the one having seen Nissans demo at super car Sunday in gaydon in 2009.
Old 13th May 2011, 10:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
bobel is testing the limits of adhesion

Cars owned: R35, X5
The engineers code: Nissan did with a penny what Porsche do with a pound! It's the pinnacle of what can be achieved, anyone can build a car for bundles of money, but Nissan created possibly one of the greatest road cars for Joe public....it's a dream that you might actually hope to achieve....and I'm lucky enough to have one
Old 13th May 2011, 10:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
anilj is Chillin
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobel View Post
The engineers code: Nissan did with a penny what Porsche do with a pound! It's the pinnacle of what can be achieved, anyone can build a car for bundles of money, but Nissan created possibly one of the greatest road cars for Joe public....it's a dream that you might actually hope to achieve....and I'm lucky enough to have one
Excellent write up
Old 13th May 2011, 10:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
GTRSTAR is talking To Kev @ SVM Because He Can Turn A Two Ton Turd in to Shit Off A Shovel!
GTROC Member

Thumbs up GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilj View Post
Didnt stop you from holidaying with the Mexicans did it
haha Im talking 2-3 years ago... the whole country was shiteing themselves about the ressesion(including me), you could pick up a very nearly new supercar for like 70k

I felt the pressure of society's declining morale on my conscience the Ford GT was becoming ever more ostentatious to use as a daily driver plus fuel prices were rising by the day I thought selling was the only sensible option I wish I didnt sell the FGT now theyve actually gone up in price

Along came the GTR, inadvertently launched in to an uncertin market, a God-send for the thinking man that still enjoys his supercars

Dont get me wrong, the GTR is a fantastic car for the money in every aspect, add to that the fact that the tuning scene is HUGE which makes it a lot of fun to own too! When its not off the road for months being tuned that is

PS. I didnt mean what I said about being a thinking man, I just like going fast

Cobb AP \ Cobra Imola Carbon Technology Seats \ HRE Comp 90 Wheels \ Titanium Nuts \ Michelin PS2 Tyres \ Performance Friction Discs/Pads \ HEL Brake Lines \ KW V3 Clubsport Coilovers \ Stillen ARB's \ KK12R Under Construction At SVM \

"If it doesnt scare me shitless, it doesnt command respect, if it doesnt command respect, its not worth driving." GTRSTAR 2010

"If it breaks the bank, I lose the wife, if I lose the wife, I've still got the GTR" :D GTRSTAR 2011

Last edited by GTRSTAR; 13th May 2011 at 10:15 PM..
Old 13th May 2011, 10:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
TAZZMAXX is ...............
ADMIN

I just wanted something a bit quicker than my Land Rover Discovery TD5
Old 13th May 2011, 10:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobel View Post
Very Well Said! although nissan arent exactly a back street car manufacturer, they must have invested zillions in to the GTR, the difference is, they priced their product to sell, just like most other manufaturers, except Lexus it seems with the LFA... lol

Old 13th May 2011, 10:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Marky_GTSt is a Fire Engine
Registered

Cars owned: Skyline GTSt
I would think the main reason many folks buy the R35 is because it is without question the finest car ever made by Nissan, who also happen to be one of the very best car manufacturers in the world.... Not only is it superlative in more or less every respect, but its less than 100k to buy, The question should be "if your after a performance car, why would you buy anything else ?"
Old 13th May 2011, 10:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
anilj is Chillin
GTROC Member

I'm waiting for the re-birth of the Renault Alpina GTA, just watch the magic Mr Ghosn sprinkles on Nissan's sister company and as his influence has been seen on the latest designs, he will make the Alpina the flagship model (like he did with the GT-R), and especially with the success in F1.

The GT-R is one of the only cars that I have driven where the novelty is still to wear off!!

Just saving up for an LFA.....

Last edited by anilj; 13th May 2011 at 10:41 PM..
anilj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 10:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
anilj is Chillin
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZZMAXX View Post
I just wanted something a bit quicker than my Land Rover Discovery TD5
Should've bought Barrichelos old Ferrari minus the wooden block the engineers left under his accelerator pedal
Old 13th May 2011, 10:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
bobel is testing the limits of adhesion

Cars owned: R35, X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRSTAR View Post
Very Well Said! although nissan arent exactly a back street car manufacturer, they must have invested zillions in to the GTR, the difference is, they priced their product to sell, just like most other manufaturers, except Lexus it seems with the LFA... lol
It's true I'm sure it was a costly exercise ( but less then porsches expenditure over time from the endless years of developing their flat 6's) however I believe despite the hype the they at least break even on it, I like to think Nissan were thinking of someone average like me when building the gtr, performance for the people, I can't imagine Porsche ever thinks of the average car enthusiast when building their performance cars and would sooner offer half baked cars like the boxter to make a healthy margin on those that aspire.
Old 13th May 2011, 10:46 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Just saving up for an LFA.....
LFA is no doubt a brilliant brilliant car and one of the finest supercars out there and I'd love to have one, but I'd personally still go for a Lambo LP 670-SV for a similar price tag. Can't go wrong! the Lambo is perfectly made too. and it's much more aggressive and has the presence and everything else.
Old 13th May 2011, 10:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
anilj is Chillin
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel-Power View Post
LFA is no doubt a brilliant brilliant car and one of the finest supercars out there and I'd love to have one, but I'd personally still go for a Lambo LP 670-SV for a similar price tag. Can't go wrong! the Lambo is perfectly made too. and it's much more aggressive and has the presence and everything else.
Go mad and save for the LP700 Aventador, but I still think that in the hyper car league, people will respect you more in an LFA (hardcore enthusiasts like the GT-R gets) as opposed to a poncy Lambo that puts you in the bracket of an ailing rocker, mindless Footballer or P Diddy's valet man....I know what I would rather be.....Warren Beatty's finger tips...
Old 13th May 2011, 11:05 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Go mad and save for the LP700 Aventador, but I still think that in the hyper car league, people will respect you more in an LFA (hardcore enthusiasts like the GT-R gets) as opposed to a poncy Lambo that puts you in the bracket of an ailing rocker, mindless Footballer or P Diddy's valet man....I know what I would rather be.....Warren Beatty's finger tips...
How many rockers, and mindless footballers or Pdidly's do you know who have an LP 670-SV ? and.. a lambo being poncy?? hmm anyway, since you are not making a coherent statement, we might as well stick to the relevant topic of "why buy a 35"
Old 13th May 2011, 11:12 PM   #20 (permalink)
anilj is Chillin
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel-Power View Post
How many rockers, and mindless footballers or Pdidly's do you know who have an LP 670-SV ? and.. a lambo being poncy?? hmm anyway, since you are not making a coherent statement, we might as well stick to the relevant topic of "why buy a 35"
Sorry, it's late and I must have drifted off the subject...but I guess I was trying to point out that the LFA isn't simply about being wealthy, but also being a car enthusiast....back to the topic...