Where can you use it? - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15th May 2011, 09:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mark B is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: 997 GT3 CS / Honda S2000 race car (VTEC Challenge)
Where can you use it?

Contravertial topic I know but...

Does anyone find a place to extract any fun from the car on british roads?

I don't drive that much in the UK, but it's quite apparent the speed limits are decreasing rapidly, and the plod are upping their game. Considering 3 clicks of the paddle could result in a diet of prison food... where do you enjoy it (track days aside) ?

Discuss.
Old 15th May 2011, 09:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Steve is Mr GTR
GT-RDC Founder Member

Cars owned: Nissan Skyline R33 GT-R "V"Spec
Just back from 1800 mile round trip of Scotland in 6 days, saw 2 police cars and NO bloody speed camera's, average speeds of 1** mile an hour, Fan - Fcukin - Tastic.

Try it you'll love it, don't need to go and do the Alpine passes again, I know where to go in Scotland now !!

2008 Nissan GTR Black Edition (Racing "Fastest Colour" Red)
1997 Nisan Skyline R33 GTR V Spec (Midnight Purple, the only Colour for an R33 GTR)
1991 Honda NSX Type R (Vibrant Red)
2011 Porsche Cayman R (Peridot Green)
2108 VW Golf R (Saffron Gold)
2003 Mazda MX5 (Blue)
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2011, 09:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
TAZZMAXX is ...............
ADMIN

It's a good question and one I've thought about more and more as you read the ever increasing number of threads detailing power mods.

In essence, there are very few places the standard power can be used outside of a track and legally. I certainly wouldn't admit on here what speeds I've achieved and where but you're correct about prison food! I'm unlikely to mod my car but I am considering buying an older car (R32 probably) to rag round a track. I still can't quite decide whether I'll be keeping the R35 when it comes out of warranty, I change my mind 2 or 3 times a day so, who knows.

Old 15th May 2011, 09:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Steve is Mr GTR
GT-RDC Founder Member

Buy a 32 and keep the 35, you know you want to !!!

1997 Nisan Skyline R33 GTR V Spec (Midnight Purple, the only Colour for an R33 GTR)
2003 Mazda MX5 (Blue)
Old 15th May 2011, 09:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
ADMIN

Steve, you're right and in an ideal world that would happen. It depends if business improves over the next 6 months as to what I decide. I am surprised that you've not tried to convince me a 33 would be better though!
Old 15th May 2011, 09:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Steve is Mr GTR
GT-RDC Founder Member

That’s because you know in your heart of hearts that it would be a better safer bet to buy a nice well sorted Midnight Purple R33 GTR V Spec for the road and Track ! And guess what? Mine is still tentively for sale LOL

2003 Mazda MX5 (Blue)
Old 15th May 2011, 09:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
MrGT is think I might want a r32 gtr
GTROC Member

Cars owned: series 2 R33 GTR (cold climate spec)
a 33 would be better.

Tib
Old 15th May 2011, 09:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Back OT?

Old 15th May 2011, 10:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Tazzmax, you signature interests me as the other option I have is a 997 GT3. I just think you get more car for your money with the GTR, although I like the size of the Porsche and it's more fun at lower speeds... hence this topic
Old 16th May 2011, 06:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
ADMIN

Mark B, sorry for directing your thread off topic, it wasn't intentional. My sig came about when I was having a bit of banter with a Skyline owner about desirability and affordability and it's just stuck.

The thing about the R35 is that it is the ace in the Top Trump stack with it's spec list but that doesn't mean to say there aren't other cars out there with better singular or group features. The GT3 RS is probably the best all rounder with just the right amount of power. When EVO did it's supercar roundup a while back everyone who drove the GT3 RS and then the GT2RS said that the 3 was better than the 2 as the power could be used to the full whereas the 2 you just had to hold back on it (road use). In some ways the same could be said for the GTR on the road, a bit too much power and it's ability to deploy it so effectively. Possible a different story on the track, I don't know.

If you look at it rationally, any car of average weight that runs 200bhp or more has the potential to get you into trouble with plod, it depends how far you are prepared to venture into breaking the law.

I have a few favourite roads and specific times of day for my forays but I do wonder how people who've modded to 100 and 200bhp more than stock can ever use it on our roads and feel safe, comfortable and confident doing so. I strongly suspect a lot of people are modding for road use rather than track or drag so it's down to them how they use the car and they have to accept the possible consequences of their actions.

Although it's breaking the law I give my car a couple of good squirts going to work or going home and they are very brief and, to be honest, that's about as far as you can go and be safe(ish). To drive it to the limits continuously would not be a good thing to do but people still try. It's something that could be discussed endlessly along with why, in these times of ever increasing fuel costs, are manufacturers producing increasingly more powerful cars?

That's about it from my limited perspective. Lastly, would I have a GT3 RS? Of course I would - if I could afford one! Then again I have a big wish list so I'd have to check where the Porker was ranked to give a definitive answer.

Last edited by TAZZMAXX; 16th May 2011 at 07:07 AM..
TAZZMAXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 06:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
GTRSTAR is talking To Kev @ SVM Because He Can Turn A Two Ton Turd in to Shit Off A Shovel!
GTROC Member

The way I see it, the only way you can really enjoy a GTR is on a road that you're familiar with, everywhere else is too risky, plod are all over it, and, if they don't stop you, the traffic will

You could do what Steve did and look further afield, a risky strategy but usually worth it

Cobb AP \ Cobra Imola Carbon Technology Seats \ HRE Comp 90 Wheels \ Titanium Nuts \ Michelin PS2 Tyres \ Performance Friction Discs/Pads \ HEL Brake Lines \ KW V3 Clubsport Coilovers \ Stillen ARB's \ KK12R Under Construction At SVM \

"If it doesnt scare me shitless, it doesnt command respect, if it doesnt command respect, its not worth driving." GTRSTAR 2010

"If it breaks the bank, I lose the wife, if I lose the wife, I've still got the GTR" :D GTRSTAR 2011
GTRSTAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 07:07 AM   #12 (permalink)
MrGT is think I might want a r32 gtr
GTROC Member

Cars owned: series 2 R33 GTR (cold climate spec)
*sorry*

back on topic i agree with tazzmaxx any reasonably powerfull car CANT be used propperly on th UK roads my cars is only 400bhp (R33 GTR) so not even as powerfull as a stock 35 and i cant use all the power i have let alone some of the tuned 35's putting out up to double the power i have.

never driven a 35 but i have driven a GT2 and turbo'd 911 and both are the same. To fast to use propperly on the road (legally).

*just my opinion*

Tib
Old 16th May 2011, 07:15 AM   #13 (permalink)
anilj is Chillin
GTROC Member

Cars owned: R35 MY2010, E93, E92, Boxster S, Toyota Yaris Hybrid
I tend to do a lot more spirited driving on non residential A and B roads where I know there are NO fixed cameras and low possibility of Mobile units.

It is fun when you drive in a convoy e.g. when I got together with the South Coast Pistonhead drive to Goodwood Super Car Sunday and pitch the Beast against their Vipers, Lambos, Porsches, Ferraris etc...does get the heart pounding and the sense of thrill.

I dont speed in Residential as the consequences are too horrific and simply no point.

Motorway driving is becomming a bit of a mare as most guys want to see the beast and hear the beast roar, but I have noticed the marked increase in undercover BiB cars that patrol and they have got a lot more cloaked then ever before, some of the cars that they are in just dont stand out any longer and therefore it is only a matter of time that you will get a tug if you are not concentrating. My advice here is to keep to the limits and then occassionally, when the road is safe and NO idiot is likely to pull into the fastlane, then give the beast some short bursts of speed.

Otherwise, leave aggressive driving to the Track and keep within the safety zone and we dont want GT-R owners to be badly bracketed like BMW owners that tailgate, have their mainbeams on and drive like madmen!
Old 16th May 2011, 08:23 AM   #14 (permalink)
bobel is testing the limits of adhesion

Cars owned: R35, X5
Interesting topic, will freely admit that since buying the R35 I have found it hard to find roads that allow you to drive it properly even lower speed twisty roads with a decent surface are hard to come by in Ireland. The last thing you want is to come around a bend into a pothole and end up at the expense of a new wheel or suspension component. I like the thoughts of a GT3 but having viewed one last week I was supprised at the minimal ground clearance,

I will probably end up modding however, but it's more about the tinkering for me then the ability to use it 100%, I just like the ideal of constantly having some little thing to tweak and keep me interested.
Old 16th May 2011, 08:29 AM   #15 (permalink)
ANDYR35 is unaware they can edit their status
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Just back from 1800 mile round trip of Scotland in 6 days, saw 2 police cars and NO bloody speed camera's, average speeds of 1** mile an hour, Fan - Fcukin - Tastic.

Try it you'll love it, don't need to go and do the Alpine passes again, I know where to go in Scotland now !!

I agree, we do have some great (quiet) roads up here. Although mine aint seen them for 5 days due to the rain
Old 16th May 2011, 08:40 AM   #16 (permalink)
anilj is Chillin
GTROC Member

Cars owned: R35 MY2010, E93, E92, Boxster S, Toyota Yaris Hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDYR35 View Post
I agree, we do have some great (quiet) roads up here. Although mine aint seen them for 5 days due to the rain
Wuss...
Old 16th May 2011, 01:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
ANDYR35 is unaware they can edit their status
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilj View Post
Wuss...

Yeah i know..............but atleast i have got about 5 coats of wax on it in that time!!
Old 16th May 2011, 01:49 PM   #18 (permalink)
Adamantium is apparently poisonous to Wolverine - who knew?
Registered

Cars owned: Audi S5 3.0TFSi, Audi Q5 3.0TDi
My biggest fear is mobile camera vans - so often you can accidentally brush past the limit and there they are waiting to get you.

I feel a little more comfortable using CamerAlert on the iphone.

Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 02:00 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZZMAXX View Post
Mark B, sorry for directing your thread off topic, it wasn't intentional. My sig came about when I was having a bit of banter with a Skyline owner about desirability and affordability and it's just stuck.

The thing about the R35 is that it is the ace in the Top Trump stack with it's spec list but that doesn't mean to say there aren't other cars out there with better singular or group features. The GT3 RS is probably the best all rounder with just the right amount of power. When EVO did it's supercar roundup a while back everyone who drove the GT3 RS and then the GT2RS said that the 3 was better than the 2 as the power could be used to the full whereas the 2 you just had to hold back on it (road use). In some ways the same could be said for the GTR on the road, a bit too much power and it's ability to deploy it so effectively. Possible a different story on the track, I don't know.

If you look at it rationally, any car of average weight that runs 200bhp or more has the potential to get you into trouble with plod, it depends how far you are prepared to venture into breaking the law.

I have a few favourite roads and specific times of day for my forays but I do wonder how people who've modded to 100 and 200bhp more than stock can ever use it on our roads and feel safe, comfortable and confident doing so. I strongly suspect a lot of people are modding for road use rather than track or drag so it's down to them how they use the car and they have to accept the possible consequences of their actions.

Although it's breaking the law I give my car a couple of good squirts going to work or going home and they are very brief and, to be honest, that's about as far as you can go and be safe(ish). To drive it to the limits continuously would not be a good thing to do but people still try. It's something that could be discussed endlessly along with why, in these times of ever increasing fuel costs, are manufacturers producing increasingly more powerful cars?

That's about it from my limited perspective. Lastly, would I have a GT3 RS? Of course I would - if I could afford one! Then again I have a big wish list so I'd have to check where the Porker was ranked to give a definitive answer.
No probs

Good reply. I do agree with the 200 bhp thing to an extent. Incidentally, I have a Clio Sport 197 which is fantastic fun. I think it's probably more fun at lower speeds, and takes a bit longer and a bit more work to get to license losing speeds. Something like a GTR just takes a couple of paddle clicks then you have to back off, and the grip is far more. Hence I have a lot of fun in the little French car.

With the GTR not being an ideal track car, I just wonder if it's almost too fast for the road, along with a lot of other stuff now
Old 16th May 2011, 02:40 PM   #20 (permalink)
alloy is SVM Stage 6!
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

To be used with responsibility in the small hours of the morning / M6 Toll / an industrial estate near you