Track Day Use - ?? - Page 3 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12th June 2011, 09:12 AM   #41 (permalink)
Chris956 is 420bhp RWD is interesting in the rain :-0
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: From GTR To GT3 & Cayman R
I have yet to find a reason for a cooler. I have done the brakes out of necessity but cannot justify the expense of a cooler when the temps I`ve seen on track are perfectly manageable. I like you have the car for road mainly ( as a weekend toy ) with the odd trackday thrown in. I would sooner use the money for the cooler to book 4 or 5 trackdays. Even if it is a particularly hot day and the temps start to increase , so what. The trany fluid change is no longer the £700 domain of HPC`s but remains the stuff of internet scare stories.
Old 12th June 2011, 09:34 AM   #42 (permalink)
Aerodramatics is online, on his feet and enjoying motoring in his GT-R again. Yaay!
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: Azure GT
Mine's a daily drive and a weekend/occasional track day toy.

I've seen my trans temps rocket past 110 with 3-5 laps of a 10 lap session. Then it's all about nursing the temps. as per warranty, which spoils the day for me. What I want is 20 min session on, 20min cool-down, 20mins back on solution without worrying. I must drive too harsh, if you can keep inside 110-120 no sweat, and stay out for a full session The instructors always say smooth, smooth, smooth is the fastest, must also be the coolest!

I've been told that the FFL4 holds up well to usage, and that some indys have run their own lab samples comparing OEM to FFL4 and the labs have reported equal or better results with the Pentosin fluid. I understand the Willall tranny fluid is most resilient to higher temp running of the options.

When I was last at the HPC I got a telling-off for taking my car to an indy and told that non-HPCs supply the wrong fluids, especially transmission, which invalidates the warranty, etc.

I smiled sweetly and confirmed my last transmission oil change was at my favourite HPC

They asked me to bring my car in for the free optimisation (if not service), which I'm happy to do, if it brings in scheduled warranty work for them that they rely on. Even though I had the clutch learn and tracking included in my service price at the indy. They said they would do it and "stamp-it-up" in the computer system to say it had been done. Although my indy service still sits off the dealer/NMGB records.

They're also going to check out my front prop shaft bearing from cold, I was there to have it checked-out after it was mentioned at my non-HPC service.

Now, I'd love to see the temps ran by Suzuki-san at the Ring when endurance testing and also the parts failures and replacement parts he consumed. If Nissan had mentioned these at the time and what that would mean for simple track day use, I might have made a different decision. Such is life. All I can do is fit the cooler to fit my driving wants and needs!

Last edited by Aerodramatics; 12th June 2011 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: FFL4
Aerodramatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 12:47 PM   #43 (permalink)

But fitting the cooler invalidates the warranty anyway

Old 12th June 2011, 03:11 PM   #44 (permalink)
Arcam is still into Track Days
Registered

Cars owned: Many & Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by sti5brigade View Post
It used to be one of my favourite circuits (in England) and the one that I've done the most track days in - maybe about 10-12 track days in the last 4 years. I used to do Donnington a bit but it was out of action for a long time, is quite restrictive on the noise limits depedent on numbers and when the numbers are lower and the limits higher its a bit pricey - I digress

Snett is (was) well known as a power circuit.. and some found it boring - I used to really love it.. but you had to be very careful on the last bend on the apex or risk knackering your tyres

Now that last bend is almost gone - its easier. They have put in what I will describe as a go-kart part part way round - it is truly, truly awful for a larger car (its suited to the really light weight cars, Atoms, Caterhams, Elises, small vehicles).. I know 2 other drivers who've done this circuit and they absolutely hate it... I dont find it a drivers circuit anymore - it should be good for BTCC viewing as there will be tonnes of crashes - there is one bend that is just way too narrow to take.. we'll see
Its almost like a mini-brands hatch part,.. Brands is much better though as its a lot wider

I went about a month after it opened new and I was absolutely disgusted at the amount of loose stone chips where people had come off and back onto the circuit.. these are things that they can easily sort out and they couldnt be bothered - it knackered my paintwork and I was really hacked off about it

In fact I was so annoyed that I left at lunchtime
Its up to you - if you've got protection on your paint then you can risk it - if you havent it COULD kill it...

Think I'm going to stick more to Oulton and do a few Spa and Nurburg trips this summer

EDITED - I dont really want to put you off it - you need to see it for yourself.. take a different car if you can that doesnt have the same paintwork issues as the GTR.... - I'm fortunate in having my Subaru where paintwork issues arent important.. still even with that in mind I wont be back

Steve
Thanks for the heads up Steve, I will still do the event but with some advanced knowledge
Old 12th June 2011, 04:26 PM   #45 (permalink)
Aerodramatics is online, on his feet and enjoying motoring in his GT-R again. Yaay!
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: Azure GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris956 View Post
But fitting the cooler invalidates the warranty anyway
Does it? It's a properly designed replacement part that is equal or better than the original. It is only a bigger volume sump. It has exactly the same function as the original only it has a higher performance. It's an equivalent part to the OEM catalogue part.

I can't see what Nissan would have to complain about in the instance of a cooler being fitted w.r.t. the warranty. Agreed, that cooler sump part is not warranted by Nissan (but is by Forge), otherwise the rest of the car should be covered by the original warranty. Not allowing the part to be fitted is anti-competitive. Besides it fixes a known fault Nissan did not disclose to the consumer at the point of sale in terms of fitness for an express purpose described, and it is being done at the consumer's personal expense. An interesting route for Nissan and the HPCs' to pursue if they so choose.

I can see in an instance that if the Forge sump failed and the tranny lost its oil, then the tranny wouldn't be warranted, but if the Forge sump works fine and the tranny fails, e.g. standard sticky solenoid design fault, why would Nissan not warranty it and how could they argue a problem with the sump?

I'd like to think Nissan would be reasonable over warranty claims, when the claim itself is reasonable. I don't know *how* they would argue a perfectly serviceable sump caused a fault and therefore invalidated a warranty? You could well be right and I'd guess it'd depend on how Nissan felt on the day. I guess we'd only find out on the day a claim was necessary.

It's like Charles Charlie says: Only make the mods we're comfortable with and be prepared to live with the consequences w.r.t. warranty. I imagine any unrelated warranty issue would be honoured without question, but ok a sump failure, well that's our own affair with Forge and the indy that fits it and maintains it, not Nissan's problem. Will a simple sump made by a reputable motorsport supplier fail? I doubt it. Nowt to go wrong really.

Out of all the mods., this one surely sits on a par with the replacement exhaust/disks/pads/air filters and tyres. Ok, if the front splitter failed, due to fitment of the scoop, again our look-out. Otherwise, Nissan still ought to warranty the rest.

The point of the full Forge cooler pack is to run the tranny at sensible temps on the track without worrying about cooking the oil and running the transmission mechnicals for extended periods at the high end of its operating range. Ought to be mechanically kinder to the tranny, less likely to trigger a claim and make any track day more fun, rather than driving to a gauge temp all day

Last edited by Aerodramatics; 12th June 2011 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: mod-ing with a view on the warranty
Aerodramatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 05:38 PM   #46 (permalink)

I agree , just playing devils advocate. I know what Nissan are like !