Track Day Use - ?? - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18th May 2011, 10:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Radical1 is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Track Day Use - ??

Guys,
Beofre I consider making my GTR track ready (and spending 3k on Toyo's and AP's / XP10's), can you give me an idea of the following:

1. Transmission Oil Temps - Using Silverstone or Spa as an example, how many fast laps can you get in before the oil overheats and you're forced in ?
2. How many track days will you get out of a set of Toyo's ?
3. How many track days will you get out of a set of XP10 pads ?

Thanks
Old 18th May 2011, 02:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
JIMBO GTR is unaware they can edit their status
GTROC Member

Hi Radical , it really depends on your driving style ...
I do Snetterton quite alot 5 to 6 times a year and i have scrubed my front left going round (old) Corum in one day on Dunlops (30+ laps)... however the rest of the tyres were fine...
if your are thinking of tracking your car the one Mod i would do straight away is a Forge Tranny cooler ... youll be able to stay out all day with no heating problems.
You have the perfect idea imho for AP Disks (which i run) but i had XP12s and they are a really really good combination, can be noisey on the road but on the track they are awsome , im trying Pagid RS29s on J hooks tomorrow to see if they are as good ...will let you know ..
Old 18th May 2011, 02:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Jimbo - doesn't bode well regarding the tyre's ! I am worried about spending £1600 on Toyo's and only getting 2 or 3 trackdays out of them
(£500 p/track day on tyres alone makes a track day best part of a grand), silly money ! How much is the tranny cooler and how many laps of Silverstone for eg, would I get without the cooler ?
Cheers

Old 18th May 2011, 02:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
charles charlie is chasing a Veyron from 30-130mph
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: E36 M3 Evo, Mini Cooper S, 996 Boxster S, Caterham Super 7, Merc Tractor :(
I had 4-5 laps of Spa last August (cool day say 18 deg) before hitting 115 tranny temps and backing off.

Engine built @ RiversideRacing
Litcho rods/pistons/RaceIC/BOVs/oil cooler/susp+handling kit/front diff
Race Developments ported manifold/AT Power TBs
RF street zorst+DPs
RacingBrake BBK
Xtreme18 Clutch/Dodson 1st gear+shaft/trans brace
2015 alloys/nav upgrade/Nismo cluster
DSC susp controller
DBA front/Varis CF bonnet/2016 Lights
TTE7XX turbos = >900bhp 700lbsft 30-130mph in 8.19s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
charles charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 02:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
GTROC Member

I know what you mean re the tyres but like I said if your gentle with them they should last...
I've never done Silverstone but I would suggest 4 to 5 with out a tranny cooler on the GP , the Forge tanny cooler is 1650 + VAT + fitting from Litchfield (who did mine) .
I appreciate its a lot of money but I think its well worth it and the amount of track days ive done since its paid for its self in extra laps ive been able to do.

Also one other thing to bear in mind if your thinking of any exhaust mods be careful of the noise restrictions on some circuits
Old 18th May 2011, 02:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Bit of a joke TBH that Nissan didn't fit the tranny cooler as standard. It was built for road/track so if they new the temps were going to be an issue they should've addressed that. I can't think of another double-clutch car in it's league that has the same issue.
Not sure how Bruno Senna stayed out for 25 minutes in a GTR (see youtube) ?? Starting to think that the GTR is too expensive to use on track.....
Old 18th May 2011, 03:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
GTROC Member

its a valid point you make Radical but for the money its still miles better than anything else in its price range ... on track or off .. yes the consumables are toppy but if you want a cheaper option there's plenty out there ....
Ive seen a few people on the Forum talk about running 18inch wheels on track so maybe thats a route you could go down , if you search the forum im sure you will find the chat.
I personally think to get the full Experiance of owning a GT-R you have to track it at least once during your ownership ... its something thats very special imho...
but beware !! its also very addictive !!
Old 18th May 2011, 03:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Fair point and I would consider 18" wheels (and £1k on Toyo's) but where can I get 18" wheels for £1,000 or so. No point in spending 2-3k on rims as that cancels out the saving on tyres.
Any advice from anyone on 18 - 19" rims at a good price, circa £1k ?
Old 18th May 2011, 03:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
GTROC Member

Sorry Radical , i have no idea .. try talking to Arcam , you have probably seen him on the forum ...i like to call him the "Oracle". He knows his stuff!! ... and im sure when other Forum users come across this thread they will chip in
Sorry i cant be more helpfull.
Old 18th May 2011, 03:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Chris956 is 420bhp RWD is interesting in the rain :-0

Cars owned: From GTR To GT3 & Cayman R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical1 View Post
Guys,
Beofre I consider making my GTR track ready (and spending 3k on Toyo's and AP's / XP10's), can you give me an idea of the following:

1. Transmission Oil Temps - Using Silverstone or Spa as an example, how many fast laps can you get in before the oil overheats and you're forced in ?
2. How many track days will you get out of a set of Toyo's ?
3. How many track days will you get out of a set of XP10 pads ?

Thanks
The GTR comes track ready

I am not hard on tyres or brakes and have the AP rotor upgrade with XP10`s and they are superb but by means essential to do a trackday. The std Dunlops are amazing also and like you I looked into getting a spare set of wheels with part worn slicks. Once I found out how good the Dunlops were I quickly shelved that idea as the grief involved ( getting them to the track and then fitting them etc etc ) far out weighed the benefits. I found with the Dunlops that they seemed to wear down to just above the legal limit and then stayed like that for ages no matter what abuse I threw at them. Not even wearing the edges out - maybe driving style has alot to do with it.

Having a tranny cooler is also not essential. The std tranny fluid can take upto 120 degrees and from then on gets a little " flaky ". Whilst lapping just keep an eye on it and when it gets to about 117 degrees back off for half a lap , slip it into automatic and you`ll be surprised at how quick it goes down and then you can get on it again. If you change the transmission fluid and use FFL4 from an independent forget about the temperature ( within reason ) and just swap it out after the day for fresh stuff.

Your master plan of the AP rotors etc etc is a good one but use the std oem stuff first until it requires replacement IMHO
Old 18th May 2011, 03:36 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Fair point and I would consider 18" wheels (and £1k on Toyo's) but where can I get 18" wheels for £1,000 or so. No point in spending 2-3k on rims as that cancels out the saving on tyres.
Any advice from anyone on 18 - 19" rims at a good price, circa £1k ?
No chance - all the cheap stuff will fail given the weight of the car and the huge increased forces you will put on them by using slicks. By the way a spare set of wheels does not fit in the car !!! Give the std Dunlops and wheels a chance - you will be surprised.
Old 18th May 2011, 04:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Adamantium is apparently poisonous to Wolverine - who knew?
Registered

Cars owned: Audi S5 3.0TFSi, Audi Q5 3.0TDi
given the price, I think I'd rather rent a caterfield at £700 a time on a track day. I reckon the gtr costs a lot more than that in consumables each time.

Maybe enjoy the country drive getting there and back - thrash someone else's car then enjoy the drive home.

Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 04:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
GTROC Member

how is it more than £700 a time on consumables??
Old 18th May 2011, 04:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBO GTR View Post
how is it more than £700 a time on consumables??
Not too sure..... that figure has got to be way off. Trackday booking fee and petrol will be same for both so all we are talking is tyres and oil change if you really heat the bugger up. Never £700 and I can bet you that renting will have its own limitations like number of laps or rev limit. Anyway who wants to spend that sort of cash to race round on a tea tray.
Old 18th May 2011, 07:05 PM   #15 (permalink)

Cheers for the common sense replies guys, especially yours chris. My rear dunlops are almost at the legal minimum but I will do a few track days on them b4 going to toyos. will definitely do the AP brakes to keep the originals boxed for when I sell e car. If u can get upgraded transmission fluid i will do that too. How easy is it to DIY change the transmission oil ?
Old 18th May 2011, 07:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
marcyt21 is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/149650-18...ls-slicks.html
Old 18th May 2011, 07:38 PM   #17 (permalink)

March, how much were the rims new ? Not worried abut slicks, will run toyos eventually ?
Old 18th May 2011, 07:41 PM   #18 (permalink)
New Users

I got them for 1200, and they are rotary forged. Good clearance on caliper. Special order from USA though, can't get them in uk
Old 18th May 2011, 08:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
Alias23 is www.alias23.com
GTROC Member

Quote:
will definitely do the AP brakes to keep the originals boxed for when I sell e car. If u can get upgraded transmission fluid i will do that too.
Why not use the standard brakes until they are worn out? Then get the AP's, sorry if im missing something here (i am assuming performance of the AP's vs OEM being marginal..)

Ref. alloys you can pick up a set of RAYS gramlights in 18" for about £1300 or so with Parts Box. Good wheels and i think a good price given the quality.

However as has been mentioned the real problem is the lack of space in the GTR, you'd have to take two cars or then look into trailers etc... With this in mind im going to stick with the 20" rims and see how i go with the track days booked..
Old 18th May 2011, 08:42 PM   #20 (permalink)
New Users

Rays gramlights are cast and don't have good caliper clearance, they were my second choice after tsw.
My 18s and slicks go on the back seat. Job done