Rigid Collars (by Spoon Sports) for the R32/R33/R34 GT-Rs! - Page 2 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Tuning: General
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27th May 2011, 08:59 PM   #21 (permalink)
Chris Wilson is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: R33 GTS-t with RB26 engine and Tractive dog box. And too many race cars according to `er indoors...
Assuming they do stop movement, it is only lateral movement between the subframe bolts and the oversized holes in the bushes (properly torqued up they won't move laterally anyway, but heh, so what ) They then go to show how a lateral stiffening of the union apparently reduces suspension spring / damper vertical movement over bumps. All credibility is then lost, for me. Sounds a lovely margin for CNC machined soft alloy bobbins though. Good luck to them, makes a change from magnets around the fuel line.
Old 28th May 2011, 07:40 AM   #22 (permalink)
R32 Combat is in limbo
Skyline Section Manager

Cars owned: R33 GTR
If the join between the subframe and the car body requires a piece aluminium alloy to increase the surface area of contact, then there is not enough tensile energy on the bolt.

It all seems like a con to me. What about the contact patch bewteen the bolt head and the underside of the subframe?
Old 28th May 2011, 07:51 AM   #23 (permalink)

Cars owned: R33 GTS-t with RB26 engine and Tractive dog box. And too many race cars according to `er indoors...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Jet View Post
Maybe the concept is being taken the wrong way. Think of it like this It solidifies a weak point were the metal is suseptable to flex, yea the sub is bolted, and the body is not sliding in its position, but its flexing at the points of torque somewhat like a spring. These collars provide a more solid base by filling the gap, and allows the enegy created by the road to be dispersed more unifomly through the frame, Im sure the degree of off set that is eliminated in the alignment is a by product, redistrubting the enegery created by the car moving up and down like a spring at the torquing points is what the real job of this mod is. Its a more solid mating of the platforms hence the car aint bouncing at its core something that bushings and coilovers cant fix.

Its Physics, the redirection of energy.
It's *ollocks, the redirection of wealth, Spoon's way, IMHO

Old 28th May 2011, 08:29 AM   #24 (permalink)
R32 Combat is in limbo
Skyline Section Manager

Cars owned: R33 GTR
LOL.
Old 28th May 2011, 08:58 AM   #25 (permalink)
R.I.P.S NZ is down to 7.28 @ 197mph worlds quickest skyline GTR

Cars owned: R32 GTS4
Most of the "pitch" in the vid is bollocks.
Mild to wild RB30s, 7,8,9,10 sec street/drag cars built to order, custom fabrication, worldwide shipping

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R.I.P.S NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 01:00 AM   #26 (permalink)
akasakaR33 is exhausted
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Cars owned: R33 GT-R
LOL you guys make me laugh... all this analysis from behind the keyboard is impressive! Seriously though, my analysis from behind the wheel shows that either my fingers are either now 10X more sensitive (radiation in the air?), or that these things work.

But yeah the video sucks -maybe there's a reason they use a Prius to demonstrate (these guys are Honda tuners...). And yes my post sounded like an advert (thanks Miguel for pointing that out) so my apologies if I came across that way.

And yes, if 40,000 yen is too much for you, then it's not a high priority item - I'd spend the money elsewhere on something more basic for sure.

R33 GT-R Photos/Videos on Facebook (people send me your photos!) at facebook.com/BCNR33 - or click

akasakaR33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 01:18 AM   #27 (permalink)
R.I.P.S NZ is down to 7.28 @ 197mph worlds quickest skyline GTR

Cars owned: R32 GTS4
No-one ever said they wouldn't improve things, just that alot of the things in the video are bollocks.
Mild to wild RB30s, 7,8,9,10 sec street/drag cars built to order, custom fabrication, worldwide shipping

R.I.P.S NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 01:19 AM   #28 (permalink)
akasakaR33 is exhausted

agreed. I wish there was a better explanation out there.

R33 GT-R Photos/Videos on Facebook (people send me your photos!) at facebook.com/BCNR33 - or click

Old 30th June 2011, 09:40 AM   #29 (permalink)
akasakaR33 is exhausted

And here is the better explanation (with LOTS of photos).

CAR LIFE>> FITTING RIGID COLLARS TO THE GT-R - Speedhunters

Old 30th June 2011, 10:01 AM   #30 (permalink)
Austrian GTR is now EFR boosted
GTROC Member

Cars owned: CX5 CD175 Revolution Top, R32 GTR
Great write up

Thanks for sharing Aki

I'll defo get some of these as soon as my GTR is running (so I can do a before and after comparison )

Leo

My GTR

Austrian GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 10:15 AM   #31 (permalink)

The back subframe is still on rubber bushes and moving around. The front won't move without the collars, if the bolts are torqued up to spec. Centring the o/size holes in the frame on the chassis studs? They are made oversize as production pressed steel body shells have big tolerances, If they made the subframes with holes that were a perfect slide on fit on the body shell studs, they'd struggle to mount the subframes as they probably wouldn't line up perfectly. You are kidding yourself if you thing alignment on production shells is that good as to see an improvement messing with the fit of the pins in the subframe holes. Plus they are that floppy everything moves around under hard cornering and braking anyway You can see from the photos the front subframe, even after 12 years, hasn't been fretting on the standard mounting arrangement.
Old 13th July 2011, 04:44 PM   #32 (permalink)
FeastJapan is living japan

Cars owned: A Nissan Track Machine
Just about to order a set for a customer.

If anyone is interested, PM EMAIL for pricing. Spoon is offering a very good discount on these items.

And personally, I like the idea of strengthening the bottom end up of a vehicle a little, not much but a little. I just wish they offered these fittings for the top shock towers. There seems to be a bit of play when fitting dampers in place.

You Tube Gallery
FeastJapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 04:49 PM   #33 (permalink)
FeastJapan is living japan

Cars owned: A Nissan Track Machine
And to maximize stiffness on the rear, Reimax offers solid inserts to the rear subframe ears.

Even Dino's rusty R34 could do with these and a refinishing hahahaha. Sorry, just an observation from Speedhunters pics....

You Tube Gallery
FeastJapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 01:11 AM   #34 (permalink)
DarkChild is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: V-Spec II Nur
I'm interested! Can anyone help me out? I don't read 'nihongo' and have no idea how to come about getting it shipped to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

DarkChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 05:41 AM   #35 (permalink)
[Loki] is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: 1996 R33 GT-R, 1990 S13 Coupe, 1976 Alfa Romeo 2000 GTV
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkChild View Post
I'm interested! Can anyone help me out? I don't read 'nihongo' and have no idea how to come about getting it shipped to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Just ordered a set for my BCNR33 and it'll be arriving in Kuala Lumpur sometime next week via EMS.

EDIT: Thanks Aki, for the great step-by-step write up. Least my tuner will know what to do, when the time comes to install the collars on my R33 GT-R.

Last edited by [Loki]; 31st August 2011 at 06:46 AM..
[Loki] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 06:48 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Jet View Post
Will be ordering mine and will do the install, so that will be another opinion added to this debatable mod plus LOKI will soon be chiming in, youll gain at least 1 HP from this
(Thats for those of you that wont do a mod unless you gain Horse Power) LOL!!
Rofl. Like Aki, I'm doing this more for to 'refresh' my BCNR33 as its getting long in the tooth.

Along with the rigid collars, these will arrive too:
  • Nismo Performance Damper Set
  • Nismo Rear Member Brace
  • Nismo's Under-Floor Reinforcing Brace kit for the BCNR33
  • Nismo Reinforced Steering Mount Bushes

Rather not get involved in the debate. Just thanking Aki.
Old 31st August 2011, 06:52 AM   #37 (permalink)
akasakaR33 is exhausted

Loki, DarkChild, and Leo - it will be interesting to hear your objective opinion on this. Maybe the radiation here DID affect me in ways I had not anticipated...

Please let us know your honest impressions. Don't forget to have the wheels/steering aligned after install!

Aki

PS - just saw Loki's newest post. I guess we'll never know the truth then, as I felt a difference every time each of his listed components were installed... most unsatisfactory was the steering mount bushes, most amazing were the Performance Dampers. See my blog for details.

Oh, and you're welcome... we non-UK R33 owners have to stick together!

Last edited by akasakaR33; 31st August 2011 at 06:56 AM..
Old 31st August 2011, 06:56 AM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akasakaR33 View Post
Loki, DarkChild, and Leo - it will be interesting to hear your objective opinion on this. Maybe the radiation here DID affect me in ways I had not anticipated...

Please let us know your honest impressions. Don't forget to have the wheels/steering aligned after install!

Aki
Will do . Miguel said it'll be quite a straight forward install plus my alignment shop is just 2 doors down from the tuners', so I'll do a write up once its all sorted.
Old 31st August 2011, 09:56 AM   #39 (permalink)
g.alund is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: R32GTR
Placebo effect
Old 4th September 2011, 12:09 AM   #40 (permalink)
wax
wax is Just plumbing up his rb30dett

The holes are made larger so that the subfram can be moved. if you think your car is 100% straight from the factory then great.
Good luck setting your thrust angle correctly when you no longer have movement in the rear sub-frame to align it with.