GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/)
-   General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/general-nissan-r35-gt-r-chat.html)
-   -   Best engine oil for all purpose use (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/151867-best-engine-oil-all-purpose-use.html)

enshiu 24th May 2011 08:44 PM

Best engine oil for all purpose use

Goodevening gents,

I need your opinion on which engine oil I should use in my car.

I have some choices e.g.:

Mobil1 0w40 new life (SM/CF)

Shell helix racing 10w60 (SM/CF)

And motul 5w50 (SM/CF)

any other engine oils that I can use or are these the best engine oil I can use?

christer 25th May 2011 09:54 AM

I use the Motul 5-50W which is superior to the Mobil 1 as far as I understand. Litchfield Imports offer the Motul option over the Mobil 1 if you want it whilst servicing. There may be better oils for racing etc. out there, but my understanding is that this is a very good oil indeed. Others will probably chime in.

enshiu 25th May 2011 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christer (Post 1465749)
I use the Motul 5-50W which is superior to the Mobil 1 as far as I understand. Litchfield Imports offer the Motul option over the Mobil 1 if you want it whilst servicing. There may be better oils for racing etc. out there, but my understanding is that this is a very good oil indeed. Others will probably chime in.

I am testing shell helix racing 10w60 sm spec at the moment.

drives ok and feels more responsive than the OEM oil.

Arcam 25th May 2011 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christer (Post 1465749)

+1 on this, Motul 5W/50 Sport is the way to go IMHO!

enshiu 25th May 2011 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arcam (Post 1465778)
+1 on this, Motul 5W/50 Sport is the way to go IMHO!

Testing in progress.

these three types:

0w40 for daily use

5w50 or 10w60 race use.

christer 25th May 2011 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enshiu (Post 1465784)
Testing in progress.

how are you testing?

enshiu 25th May 2011 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christer (Post 1465814)
how are you testing?

1. Jacking up all wheels and run it flat for a few hours.
2. Dyno it for a day long
3. 1/4 mile for 3 hours.
4. daily use tests.
5. idling test with degrading levels.

Don't worry I have plenty of 10w60 left about 15L.

testing temps with daily drive around 85C.

bhp 25th May 2011 01:07 PM

^^ 1/4 mile for 3 hours, i like your style!!!!

enshiu 25th May 2011 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhp (Post 1465856)
^^ 1/4 mile for 3 hours, i like your style!!!!

I need to find out what 10w60 for tempratures runs at max stress test.

probably 90ish 100max.

OEM goes 110ish if really going to the limit.

christer 25th May 2011 02:52 PM

I guess what I meant to say was - how are you coming to conclusions from your tests?

As far as I have understood, a different oil does not let the car run cooler - but a 60W oil will stay a bot more viscous at higher temps than a 40W - if all things being equal - and so provides more consistent protection but doesn't affect temperature at all.

In any case, after the "tests" - how do you decide on the results? Are you sending the oils away for testing?

Maybe I have misunderstood something, but I cannot help think that this will be a bit of a waste of time....no offence!

enshiu 25th May 2011 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christer (Post 1465919)
I guess what I meant to say was - how are you coming to conclusions from your tests?

As far as I have understood, a different oil does not let the car run cooler - but a 60W oil will stay a bot more viscous at higher temps than a 40W - if all things being equal - and so provides more consistent protection but doesn't affect temperature at all.

In any case, after the "tests" - how do you decide on the results? Are you sending the oils away for testing?

Maybe I have misunderstood something, but I cannot help think that this will be a bit of a waste of time....no offence!

I hope I can send it to the lab to find out how much more or less solenoids from the engine produced instead of OEM oil. because willall has one test with 10w60 already and I can't buy it anywhere.