Fuel economy after Y-pipe and ECU upgrade - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28th May 2011, 01:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
redlimo is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Fuel economy after Y-pipe and ECU upgrade

I have owned a GTR for nearly two years now, and never been tempted to upgrade the power - the car just doesn't seem to have a problem in this area! However it does seem to be quite easy / inexpensive to do, and I'm now thinking - why not?

I would be interested to know what kind of difference in fuel economy anyone who has upgraded the exhaust and ECU has seen. I'm tempted by one of the milder Litchfield options.

Any other drawbacks anyone has noted, for example driving in stop/start city traffic?

Thanks in advance.
Old 28th May 2011, 02:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
alloy is SVM Stage 6!
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

mods are in my sig, but i have done 335 since i filled up last week both gauges on the dash and mfd indicate there is no fuel left but the range still says 44miles
Old 29th May 2011, 05:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
GTRSTAR is talking To Kev @ SVM Because He Can Turn A Two Ton Turd in to Shit Off A Shovel!
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlimo View Post
I have owned a GTR for nearly two years now, and never been tempted to upgrade the power - the car just doesn't seem to have a problem in this area! However it does seem to be quite easy / inexpensive to do, and I'm now thinking - why not?

I would be interested to know what kind of difference in fuel economy anyone who has upgraded the exhaust and ECU has seen. I'm tempted by one of the milder Litchfield options.

Any other drawbacks anyone has noted, for example driving in stop/start city traffic?

Thanks in advance.
Dear O Dear, What has happened to this forum since they moved the projects?!!

Is there any difference in fuel economy after upgrading the y pipe and ecu?!!! lol

Of course there is! your making something go faster which requires more energy which generally requires more fuel?! Hello?!

Will you notice the difference?! not unless you drive dangerously slow or dangerously fast which is against the highway code in any case..

You may as well have asked; does winding the window down make the cabin more noisy or does turning the aircon on reduce the BHP?! Stop procrastinating and just do it!

Cobb AP \ Cobra Imola Carbon Technology Seats \ HRE Comp 90 Wheels \ Titanium Nuts \ Michelin PS2 Tyres \ Performance Friction Discs/Pads \ HEL Brake Lines \ KW V3 Clubsport Coilovers \ Stillen ARB's \ KK12R Under Construction At SVM \

"If it doesnt scare me shitless, it doesnt command respect, if it doesnt command respect, its not worth driving." GTRSTAR 2010

"If it breaks the bank, I lose the wife, if I lose the wife, I've still got the GTR" :D GTRSTAR 2011
GTRSTAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29th May 2011, 08:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Adamantium is apparently poisonous to Wolverine - who knew?
Registered

Cars owned: Audi S5 3.0TFSi, Audi Q5 3.0TDi
Actually if you have a custom map you can improve the cruise area which notoriously over fuels. Yes the higher power costs more fuel but given the proportion of time you use it you may find range per tank will increase.

Once mapped if you intentionally drive for economy you will see an improvement.

Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2011, 09:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
thistle is aware they can edit their status

Cars owned: GTR, D4 S8, MkV GTI, E46 325ti, E46 M3
The cruise area is stoichiometric at uk cruising speeds.
Old 29th May 2011, 09:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
ROG350Z is Nismo
GT-RDC Founder Member

Cars owned: GT-R R35 Spec V, GT-R Nismo, Zenos E10R
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle View Post
The cruise area is stoichiometric at uk cruising speeds.
Explain.....?
Old 29th May 2011, 09:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered

It means I'm wrong!

The fuelling isn't improved off boost in the cruise zones but remains at lambda of 1.

John, if you are here now perhaps you can explain where the benefits are to fuel consumption.

Old 29th May 2011, 10:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered

I said cruise is rich, John says cruise is at stoich which means ideal ratio for combustion. Ie, it's not cruise that soots up your exhaust pipes!

Personally I think a car with an emissions reduction system should run lean on cruise but that's another issue.

Last edited by Adamantium; 29th May 2011 at 06:04 PM..
Old 29th May 2011, 10:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

Air-fuel ratio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some reading here ROG.

Without direct injection, EGR or NOx cats then it wouldn't be possible to keep the NOx down with lean cruise, except for other expensive or experimental tech that Adam will know more about than I, but with the hardware on the GTR it runs richer than necessary for emissions. You could tweak the ignition timing during cruise to help economy perhaps, but more advance would also increase NOx.

So on the VR38 there really isn't a free lunch in terms of economy tuning at cruise without removing the cats and increasing NOx.

I do believe mapping helps economy in the performance areas if you drive at the same speed because you need lower engine speed and leaner AFRs.
Old 29th May 2011, 10:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
ROG350Z is Nismo
GT-RDC Founder Member

Quote:
Air-fuel ratio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some reading here ROG.

Without direct injection, EGR or NOx cats then it wouldn't be possible to keep the NOx down with lean cruise, except for other expensive or experimental tech that Adam will know more about than I, but with the hardware on the GTR it runs richer than necessary for emissions. You could tweak the ignition timing during cruise to help economy perhaps, but more advance would also increase NOx.

So on the VR38 there really isn't a free lunch in terms of economy tuning at cruise without removing the cats and increasing NOx.
Brilliant thank you I shall read up - always good to learn new things! Going to send my map to Ben after doing some more test runs now ECU settled down. Be great if you could look at it too as always good to have two sets of eyes!
Old 29th May 2011, 10:30 AM   #11 (permalink)

Ben is so good at this, I would happily let him tune my own car and not check it, he has mapped more R35 than anyone I know, and as intended from the start he now does it without my assistance which lets me get on with development. In fact my highest performance map is one that he did for John H last year.
Old 29th May 2011, 10:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
ROG350Z is Nismo
GT-RDC Founder Member

Quote:
Ben is so good at this, I would happily let him tune my own car and not check it, he has mapped more R35 than anyone I know, and as intended from the start he now does it without my assistance which lets me get on with development. In fact my highest performance map is one that he did for John H last year.
Always good to know - obviously trust him as I let him tune my pride and joy.

Big praise though coming from you.
Old 2nd June 2011, 01:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
paulcoop007 is unaware they can edit their status

I get around 23.5 with a y pipe fitted, mixed driving.