would replacing 2010 rims with the new model rims improve 1/4 mile Time? - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29th May 2011, 10:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
xcraft is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

would replacing 2010 rims with the new model rims improve 1/4 mile Time?

Hi all,

I Read that the new model rims are lighter stronger..
would 1/4 mile Times improves if i would replace Them?

thanks all.
Old 29th May 2011, 10:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Arcam is still into Track Days
Registered

Cars owned: Many & Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcraft View Post
Hi all,

I Read that the new model rims are lighter stronger..
would 1/4 mile Times improves if i would replace Them?

thanks all.
Simple answer would be extremely unlikely.
Old 29th May 2011, 10:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
de wonderful is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: R33 GTST
Probably not the most cost effective way to shave 0.01 secs of the 1/4.

Old 29th May 2011, 11:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

mmm thought that a lighter rim would save a lot pound in the total equation?

at least that they say on a website:

"8. Reduced rim weight has the effect of at least 5 times the static weight reduction.

The performance gain achieved by reducing the wheel mass (Un-sprung Mass) can be quantified using a factor of six. This means that to achieve the same performance gain by reducing the body mass, it is necessary to remove six times the wheel weight saving.
Example A saving of 2Kg Per Wheel x 4 Wheels = Removing 48 Kg from the Bodywork.

In some instances, Dymag's Carbon Mag wheels have reduced the wheel weight by up to 5Kg / Wheel, which equates to saving 120Kg from the bodywork to get the same performance advantage."
Old 30th May 2011, 06:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
GTRSTAR is talking To Kev @ SVM Because He Can Turn A Two Ton Turd in to Shit Off A Shovel!
GTROC Member

Xcraft your theory is correct, although from what i understand, the effective reduction in curb weight by reducing the unsprung weight is x3 not x5, still well worthwhile.

To save maximum weight, Consider using an 18 inch aftermarket wheel like on the F mans record holding GTR, then youll really see and feel the difference on the quarter mile, besides, an aftermarket wheel will look better on your car as youve already modified the aero.

Cobb AP \ Cobra Imola Carbon Technology Seats \ HRE Comp 90 Wheels \ Titanium Nuts \ Michelin PS2 Tyres \ Performance Friction Discs/Pads \ HEL Brake Lines \ KW V3 Clubsport Coilovers \ Stillen ARB's \ KK12R Under Construction At SVM \

"If it doesnt scare me shitless, it doesnt command respect, if it doesnt command respect, its not worth driving." GTRSTAR 2010

"If it breaks the bank, I lose the wife, if I lose the wife, I've still got the GTR" :D GTRSTAR 2011
GTRSTAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 07:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

thanks GTRSTAR,
Any suggestion for light wheels? and tires?
Old 30th May 2011, 05:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
GTRSTAR is talking To Kev @ SVM Because He Can Turn A Two Ton Turd in to Shit Off A Shovel!
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcraft View Post
thanks GTRSTAR,
Any suggestion for light wheels? and tires?
There have been developments in this area so Kevan @ SVM is the man to ask, he's been setting the records on 18" wheels and tyres.

The other advantage to 18" wheels is that you have much more of a choice of tyres and they are typically much cheaper than 20".

From a purely aesthetic point of view, make sure the offset is low enough so that the wheels don't look lost under the arches.

Im looking forward to seeing what you go for...

Cobb AP \ Cobra Imola Carbon Technology Seats \ HRE Comp 90 Wheels \ Titanium Nuts \ Michelin PS2 Tyres \ Performance Friction Discs/Pads \ HEL Brake Lines \ KW V3 Clubsport Coilovers \ Stillen ARB's \ KK12R Under Construction At SVM \

"If it doesnt scare me shitless, it doesnt command respect, if it doesnt command respect, its not worth driving." GTRSTAR 2010

"If it breaks the bank, I lose the wife, if I lose the wife, I've still got the GTR" :D GTRSTAR 2011
GTRSTAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 08:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Henry 145 is without a GTR
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: M4 CP, R35GTR X 3, B8 RS4, 997 GT2, 997 GT3, 997TT, 996TT, Evo IX FQ-360, E46M3, RR Vogue and RRS TD V8
The Volks on FMan's car look awesome...have asked Ben and Kk if they can get them but no joy...given up on aftermarket wheels
Old 30th May 2011, 08:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
mindlessoath is Elite

You could also get those AP racing ccm brakes to also help reduce the weight.
I agree 18"s will help reduce weight better than the new gtr wheels. The Volks are awesome... Beware of imitations Tho. Maybe you can reach out and barrow someones like they did on nagtroc.

You could also try with and without the wing. I heard the wing is good for picking up speed but I dunno if that's valid. They now have a duckbill trunk for the r35 to reduce more drag over stock so they claim... It might be cool to try also and looks cool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CBA-R35 Tech and News
mindlessoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 09:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
bluediamond is Currently GTR-less , back to the fold soon
GTROC Member

Cars owned: GTR, 09, ultimate silver, litchfield stage 3,
Weight is weight

Reducing unsprung weight helps the suspension performance but acceleration is a product of power/torque over weight, as long as traction is available and of course a 4 wd GTR has that in spades.
A kilo is a kilo regardless in that simple equation.
However 18s are going to have the effect of reducing the gearing assuming similar aspect ratio tyres. Stock GTRs run fairly high aspect ratios compared to some cars, therefore 18s and 30 or 35 aspect tyres will reduce the gearing quite a bit.
So if 1/4m performance is the aim, 18s with low profile sticky rubber and any weight saving you can get is going to help. I'd start with the seats.
If you want to make it go round corners better and get better traction out of them then getting unsprung weight down is a good idea. Ceramic brakes will save more than rims I think.
But if you want it to look sexy then the bigger the wheel rim the better. imo